Writing - What is required in Adventures? Enough? Corrected?

southernshae

Writing - What is required in Adventures? Enough? Corrected?

Unread post by southernshae » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:46 pm

How much writing is required in Adventures
melinda wrote:Can anyone give me an idea of how much writing is required in Adventures? My dd loves the writing she is doing in MFW1 and I just need to know what will be required of her next year.
Thanks!
Melinda,

In ADV your dc will do notebook page summaries from time to time. They are not scheduled as frequently as the summaries in MFW1, so it does feel different.

Most of the writing will be from the child's English lessons in Primary Language Lessons (or whatever you choose). English is scheduled for three days and dictation is scheduled for one day. So, the writing is there but it's different from that of MFW1.

You mentioned that your dd likes writing......that's great! If she's eager and willing, you can "up" the notebook summaries and do more than is scheduled. My dd got really excited about Pocahontas and did an extra page on that and also extra writing about Indian homes. I'm sure lots of moms wish they had eager writers! It seems like we don't read about that too often :).

Southernshae
4 dc (3 in ps, 1 dc at home)
MFW1 ...slowly.. with ds
Past user of MFW1, ADV, and ECC

TurnOurHearts

Re: How much writing is required in Adventures

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:14 pm

Hi Melinda :)

If I remember correctly, the year starts off where 1st left off - not too much, not too little. It gradually increases if you're using PLL. But honestly, there's so much flexibility there, the days I can see that my son is overwhelmed, we review orally, or I only have him do part of the written work.

My son loves to write, but not always when it comes time to write about school stuff. He's written original stories, copied books (like the bird book that comes with ADV) word-for-word, and dictated stories off of Nick Jr - all from his own motivation. When I see this type of self-learning, I try to remind myself that this is MAJOR growth. This is the kind of thing that I really want to see in my children. When we started ADV, we were nowhere near where we are now with writing.

Wherever you find your child today, the Lord will bring the increase. As always, I would just ask the Lord to help you be sensitive to your child, knowing when to keep going with the 'plan,' and when to scrap it.

Have a great day!
Paige in NC

InfertilityMom

Re: How much writing is required in Adventures

Unread post by InfertilityMom » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:57 pm

Coming from MFW1, Adventures will be a very natural transition. My son actually felt like he was doing less writing as we started the new year than he had been doing at the end of 1st!
Jenni Saake, Nevada
after 10 years and 10 losses:
ds J. born 12/99 and dd R. 1/03, 1850s to Modern Times
ds J-Bear 1/06 finishing up K, looking toward 1st in early 2012
http://www.InfertilityMom.blogspot.com

Poohbee

At what point do you correct?

Unread post by Poohbee » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:37 am

RB wrote:What about my second grader's Adventures notebook pages. She is quite a good writer, but occasionally there is a spelling error. At what point do you correct or not correct? Or is it different depending on the assignment?
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:54 am
I think for your second grader, if she misspells a word that is something you know she should know how to spell, help her correct it, but she is still in the early stages of writing, so it is not necessary to correct every word.

Lucy

Re: At what point do you correct?

Unread post by Lucy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:40 am

Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:58 pm
For the second grader, I would at this point correct capitals and periods if this is something that you have stressed during her copy work time. If not, start by pointing that out more directly to her in copy work and remind her at the beginning of the summary to remember those. When she does self editing with you you may ask her a question or 2 such as,"Do all your sentences begin with capital letters?" or"Do all your sentences have an ending mark(period)?"

Again even at this age it is lots of work just to get the information down on paper so focusing on spelling and mechanics can be tough. The goal is to help them learn to get the information down but not use every time they write as a teaching moment(ie.let's correct the paper and make it look perfect). You may even ask your daughter if she would like you to correct her spelling if you see a wrong word, since she does not have many, it sounds like. For a child that has many, though, this could be very discouraging.

This was very hard for me to do when my first child came along but I found the more I let go and let her just write, the more she wrote. I also found that copy work greatly improved her mechanics naturally as well as her spelling and she is not a natural speller. These are some things that have help me along the way but each child is a little different and will have to be worked with at his own ability to take correction without it crushing his spirit to write.

Peace,
Lucy

Julie in MN

Writing w/Adventures

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:40 am

GLPerky wrote:I will be stating my 7yo in Adventures this fall. If winters weren't so long here, I'd be ready for fall to come just so we could start!

I am wondering about writing, not handwriting, but writing sentences and more. He hasn't had any of this yet except for his copy work. Is this something they learn that is included in Adventures or do I need to get something else to help him learn to write sentences?
Hello,
I haven't used ADV, but while you wait, I thought I'd chat.

MFW does include exposure to sentence skills in various ways -
- copywork of full sentences using the Bible
- examination of sentences starting in 2nd grade using Primary Language Lessons, if you choose that
- practice composing sentences using the Bible notebook in 1st grade and general notebooking pages in grades 2-8

Actual writing instruction is suggested beginning in 4th grade using Writing Strands, but the goal by then is more on "improving" sentence style and the content of sentences. My son started Writing Strands in 3rd grade and did fine, but I do think 2nd graders are usually still getting the basics down solidly.

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

gratitude

Writing for 1st and 2nd grader

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:41 pm

joyb wrote:Just a question about writing... I think Writing Strands is not added until grade 4 right? What is the logic for that? Is there a good amount of writing built into the 1st grade curriculum and also in PLL and Adventures?

New to all this but my son did a lot of writing in 1st grade in public school so I just wanted to make sure they weren't missing out on anything or if there is a good reason for waiting before really getting into writing.
There is quite a bit of writing built into first grade. A weekly copying of a Proverb from scripture and after day 60 it increases to an every day note book entry into the Bible note book that involves drawing and writing. The blue student note book and student sheets also have short spelling tests in it and some copy work and some creative writing.

The actual writing in ADV is less than MFW1, but PLL is much more writing than MFW1. PLL includes copy work, dictation, picture study, some grammar, poetry memorization, and language study. The writing in ADV includes copying a Bible verse every other week, doing some history note booking with sentence writing, and I was trying to remember today if their is writing for science or not mentioned in the front of the ADV TM (but I am not remembering). The other writing in ADV is in the spelling book that involves copying the spelling words into the exercises.

Marie used to suggest Writing Strands for grade 3. The Charlotte Mason approach to writing involves much more copy work and dictation to learn to write before beginning composition. I am not sure exactly the reason behind the move to 4th grade for it. What I am finding is that the Charlotte Mason approach is producing a real understanding of language and quality in my son's writing.

Julie in MN

Re: Writing for 1st and 2nd grader

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:23 am

A few kids will do fine with WS in 3rd, and you can try it if you think you have one of those. When my youngest was in 3rd grade, back in the day, MFW did recommend Writing Strands in 3rd, so he did WS-3 in 3rd grade. It went fine for us. He was just coming out of the public schools and was used to a full day, and he did most of it on the keyboard, so it wasn't the dreaded pencilwork. However, I seem to recall that in general, families were reporting much more readiness in 4th, so the official MFW recommendation was changed?

If you do give it a try, be sure to do Writing Stands *with* your child. It looks like it is written to the student, but our kids don't have any peers to peek over at so they need us, I think.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Joyhomeschool

Re: Writing for 1st and 2nd grader

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:22 am

I think its to keep things light. I think it gives your kiddo's two years after learning to read to really get a handle on handwriting and adjust to PLL before starting a full on writing course. There are plenty of opportunities for practicing writing.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

froggiemomof3

Worried about doing "enough" for 2nd and 1st grader

Unread post by froggiemomof3 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:30 am

joyb wrote:Both my kids were in public school prior to this year, and both are advanced academically. Actually I started my son late in public school for social reasons, but academically he is at 3rd grade or higher for all subjects.

Anyways, I keep worrying that I am not doing "enough" with them. By the end of Kinder both my kids were writing multiple sentences and tonight I was flipping through the MFW 1st teacher's manual and noticed that they don't even get to that for several more weeks in 1st grade. My son was writing page long pieces of writing from early on in 1st grade in public school. The phonics in MFW 1st have been extremely easy for my daughter and she has mentioned that she did all this already in Kindergarten. I also noticed that near the end of the program it is recommended that your child read aloud to you for 10 minutes per day... my 1st grader is already (in week 4) reading aloud to me daily for 20 minutes. I just started doing that because my son did that from the beginning of 1st grade in public school. I have no idea what they do in public school for 2nd, but I worry that my son is not doing enough because the program (Adventures) seems very light on the writing and language arts. So anyways... sometimes it feels like MFW is about a grade behind where my kids were academically in public school and that concerns me. I don't want them to be behind especially if for some reason they end up going back into the public school system.

Can anyone speak to these concerns?? Is there a good way to boost the program academically a bit?
We are doing 1st this year with our son after having used the K program last year. He was reading between a 2nd and 3rd grade level from day 1 of the program. We just started week 6 this week. What I have done is just do the phonics as review if he knows them and then teach any that he doesn't know. We focus more on the spelling side of the phonics and his sounding things out to spell them. We have added All About Spelling, Horizon Math, and we do a separate science(nature study and various lapbooks). I knew from the start I was going to have to increase the reading. My son reads out loud to me, I read out loud to him and then he also reads 3 or 4 books on his own every night before bed.

One way you can boost is to just let them read and even let them study something(like a lapbook) on a topic that interests them. You mentioned that you felt that Adventures was light. Have you added in the book basket books? If it seems too "light", you can add more book basket books on topic or have him do short writings on the books he is reading. You could add lapbooks that reinforce whatever science topic or history topic is being taught. These are just ideas as we are only on 1st.

My feelings on My Father's World is that it can seem light until you add in the book basket and outside observation activities. I think they set it up to allow for "living" learning and to let kids explore their world around them. Children learn so much through play and just exploring, so by leaving time in the day for activities like that, you allow them that opportunity to explore a topic of interest to them. I also feel like the K and 1st programs were created with the understanding that a family could have a child (ren) in the 5 year cycle as well as a younger child. As you go up in the program they time needed to complete the day is going to increase and these programs are also a gentle introduction to homeschooling for both parents and children.

There are people on this board who have been homeschooling a lot longer than me, and have used MFW all the way through, so they may have some more ideas for you. I personally trust that this program is where God wants our family and it is a good fit for us even with me adding a few things in.
Ayrielle - Mom of 3; DS5, DD3, DD15months

2012-2013 - MFWK
2013-2014 - MFW1(Learning God's Story)

Joyhomeschool

Re: Worried about doing "enough" for 2nd and 1st grader

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:59 am

Well, think of it this way. MFW is lighter in the early years compared to some curriculum.. But it more than makes up for it in the later years. And when you give a child a lesson they can do with ease, they are still learning but more importantly they are developing a love of learning that will give them a confidence to do well and excel later when things become hard. I did this with my daughter when we started Adventures she had been used to several more rigorous curriculum and the ADV was very easy for her and and all the sudden there was a joy in school that wasn't there before.

Charlotte Mason talks about this idea when she says to never expect from a child that which he can not execute with perfection. She calls this the habit of perfection. It means she you do not give your child a lesson that pushes them too far, you give them one that gently nudges them forward because it seems easy. So light MFW years are confidence and joy builders and should be enjoyed. A time for harder lessons will come.

Also, that said... I add for some of my students to the mfw curriculum in K and 1st explode the code and Math U see. Also a handwriting book. But not for all of them all the time. Just for the ones who are ready for that type of nudge. You can be the judge of that for your kiddos.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:54 am

My first questions would be:
Was the writing they did in public school in complete sentences? Were they able to write without fragments? Were they able to use correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling?

The reason I ask these questions is the samples I have seen of other mother's children from public school show far more writing earlier on than in the MFW curriculum. The writing samples from K - 2nd though seem to be full of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and fragment errors. A practice that seems to continue as they go up in the grades? I am not trying to be critical of public school writing. I will fully admit that the writing in the public schools is far ahead of what I have done with my own children for home schooling in the early years. I have questioned though whether the early writing in public schools produces good results. The writing my children have done is written with complete sentences, words spelled correctly, and correct punctuation. The writing they have done at their grades, of just starting 4th, 3rd, and first, though is much less than the quantity written in the early grades of public schools.

The areas we have focused on using MFW:
*Bible
*History
*Science
*Math
*Reading comprehension
*Listening - reading aloud to them
*Grammar (something I add to MFW)
*Foreign Language
*Writing
*Spelling

So the area that is standing out to you the most is the area that many home schoolers use a different scope and sequence in for home schooling. I think it evens out in the end. I honestly think it produces better writing in the end since it is a focus on taking the time to understand and write complete sentences.

I beefed up ADV a lot through book basket and having my oldest read a number of books on US history that were age appropriate, but also were able to reach his reading abilities.

On a heart level though the most important element I have found in home schooling is teaching my children the Word of God and working daily on all of our characters. To me that is the true beauty of home schooling. Home schooling gives me the time with them to know them well enough to be able to work with them on their strengths and weaknesses in a way that I would never be able to do if they were gone from home all day. I am grateful for the time I have had with them, the relationship building, and the time I have had to share our Lord Jesus Christ with them.

Prayers for your success. :-)
Last edited by gratitude on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

joyb

Unread post by joyb » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:23 am

Thanks for the replies so far. Understanding the philosophy behind it is helpful, like all the Charlotte Mason stuff. Working on character and growing in love for the Lord is definitely tops on my list, and I love MFW for that.

My 1st grade daughter did not do very "good" writing last year in Kinder... her spelling was terrible and she often forgot to capitalize the right things or put punctuation. But all the kid in Kinder public school were encouraged just to sound out words as best they could and take a stab at writing.

My 2nd grade son, on the other hand, did really good writing. Generally he did spell everything correctly and used proper grammar, punctuation, capitalization, etc. But he really was at the top of the class and is just very gifted academically. After a summer "off" though, he seems to have regressed a lot and is very resistant to doing any writing.

I'm having some trouble with Book Basket because I can't find most of the recommended books at our local library. I try to get some equivalent books, but most of them have been too far above my son's level for him to find them interesting or read on his own.
Joy, new homeschooling mom to
8 yo DS - 2nd grader, Adventures in US History, Singapore Math 2A, PLL, Spelling Power
6 yo DD Modified Adventures + Learning God's Story (MFW-1st)
2 yo DD (!!)

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:58 am

joyb wrote:After a summer "off" though, he seems to have regressed a lot and is very resistant to doing any writing.

I'm having some trouble with Book Basket because I can't find most of the recommended books at our local library. I try to get some equivalent books, but most of them have been too far above my son's level for him to find them interesting or read on his own.
I had trouble finding the titles for ADV book basket in the library as well. I ended up ordering books from other home school companies for our book basket.

Sometimes my children will resist doing school with me in a way they never would with a Sunday school teacher or I am assuming a class room teacher. They can test with that unspoken question of: Do I really have to? So school can be something they test at times like they tested bed time when they were little. Just a little FYI in case it applies at all to your son's resistance to writing this year. I find parenting and teaching can be very intertwined in a way that they would not be for a class room teacher teaching them.

Another little FYI since you are newer to home schooling. Three of the main home school styles taught are text books (more like what is done in school, and some Christian companies have similar scopes & sequences to a school but with public schools changing so much many of them are closer to the scope & sequence I had in public school), Charlotte Mason, and classical. MFW starts off more Charlotte Mason in style and in my research seems to become more classical the higher it goes. It uses some elements from both, but isn't strictly one or the other. MFW really has its own style.

Blessings,

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:58 am

I would strongly suggest that you read Honey for a Child's Heart and For the Sake of the Children to understand the reasoning behind why k and 1st is set up like it is.

Childhood is short and so if your kids seem to fly through the curriculum I would use the opportunity to do more of the read alouds, book list, hands on projects, field trips, and nature walks and journaling. The extra time is something to treasure because as they get older you will have less time.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Joy,

I did Abeka with my oldest for K-2nd (a textbook/workbook style program, considered very rigorous, with MUS for math), then switched to MFW starting at ECC.

I did Abeka K with my twin boys, then MFW 1st, and then they rolled into wherever oldest was when they hit 2nd grade. I use almost all of MFW's recommendations for language arts and math (except Spelling Power).

I will say by the end of 2nd grade, my boys were at the same level in writing and math as my oldest was when she was in 2nd grade. Our state requires standardized testing in 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th. My boys have done fine (they did their 3rd grade test last year), as has my dd.

I think it all comes together at different rates and different places for different kids. My oldest and one of my boys are probably dyslexic. Not sure what the public school would do with them - put them in special ed, do extra tutoring, or nothing (as has been the case with one of my friends, and she is now homeschooling her kids). I love MFW because I can adjust it to their abilities. They comprehend fine, they just can't *do* it all at the same level as other kids their age would. But, as my dd matures and ages, I see that she is "catching up" to what most 8th grades can do. (And she did VERY well on her standardized test last year.) I see the same thing with my boys. They can only go at the pace they are able, not what some arbitrary standard some so-called expert.

I think MFW is great!
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog