Bible - How is it integrated with history?

cbollin

Bible in Adventures

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:07 am

Is the bible integrated at all with history?
Malenki wrote:Is the bible integrated at all with history? I see how the bible is scheduled out, which is nice. I reviewed the sample pages but of course it's just for a few days in the year; I didn't see any mention of bible within the history portion specifically. I guess what I'm wondering is how it compares to K & 1st where it seems more integrated.
In ADV it is the science lessons that are integrated into the Bible lessons.

Here is the an overview of the Bible/spiritual focus on the years in MFW:

K: God created the world and everything in it.
1st: Bible overview from Genesis to Revelation; God gave us His Word to live by.
ADV: the names of God and Jesus (the science lessons are integrated to this)

ECC: God wants us to spread His Word to the uttermost parts of the earth. Study the book of Matthew

Years 2-5: theme God and His people affect history
CTG:OT overview
RTR: NT overniew, and early church history
EX1850: study the book of James. more of a personal application of "consider it joy when you face trials" as you learn of the trials that people faced in history, as well as looking at lives of God's people who affected history.
1850-modern: I dunno. not there yet :)

--crystal

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:55 am

Hi Malenki,

Just a note about integration or the uniting of subjects in general. MFW tries to unit all the subjects together as much as possible but there is a point at which this can become fruitless so they do not try to ever make something work that just is not there. The same thing is done with science, music, and art.

Crystal's list is very helpful in giving you the overview. I would add that Adventures is one of those years that it would be a stretch to try and use the bible as a history book since the bible is written before this time period, just as in years 1,4, and 5. They use other resources along with the bible to make the bible relavant to what we are studying in history or to make it a practical study of God's word or they choose to connect it with the study of science like they do in K and Adventures.

One of the things that we are doing in year 5 is spending about 6 weeks reading a book called Tales of Persia(ancient Iran). We started this about the time we reached this in World history. We are learning more about Islam and their need to understand who Jesus really is, we are praying for them and the book focuses on things that God has done in this area through a missionaries experience as well as giving a scripture focus each day. We are really enjoying it.

Have a great day!
Lucy
Last edited by Lucy on Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

rachel

Unread post by rachel » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:37 pm

Hi Malenki,

This may be off- but, are you wondering how God in general is incorporated into the study of American history for the "Adventures" program- and in that sense be "Biblical"?

Your question was probably already answered by the MFW board "experts" :)- But, I have read other threads here about Adventures coming at US history from the perspective of the importance of Christianity as America was settled and the Bible teaching portion seems to correspond with some of the history lessons in application regarding Christian attitudes, etc.

Am I right Crystal and Lucy?

Rachel
(MFW1 - Adventures next!)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:48 pm

Oh Rachel,

Before Julie finds that link in the archives about that... let's see
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=1362

that one talks about the patriotism aspects.

You also asked something about the "the Bible teaching portion seems to correspond with some of the history lessons in application regarding Christian attitudes, etc."....
well.... I'll let somone else answer that one.

--crystal

Malenki

Thanks!

Unread post by Malenki » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:26 pm

That gives me the details I was looking for. Thanks ladies!!
Malenki

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:58 pm

Hi Malenki ~

Certainly no expert here, but we are in the home stretch of Adventures. :)

The Bible and science intertwine as Crystal (I think?) mentioned, but there is quite a bit of biblical overtone in the history.

American Pioneers and Patriots gently tells the stories of fictional children from those days & what they may have experienced - the stories are sweet, and you see prayer, stewardship & thanksgiving as normal parts of their daily lives.

Exploring American History is published by the Christian Liberty Press and they weave spiritual content in as much as possible. Whether or not you think that is a good thing will depend a lot on your particular beliefs. IMHO, they take a little too much liberty with the Christian bias in a place or two, but that is largely affected by my personal beliefs.

What I LOVE about these choices of textbooks is that you have a fabulous base/framework. I can use both of these books, tailoring each to our family's taste, with very little effort. And because Bible/God/Jesus is all THROUGH the program, we really do get to focus on Christ all day long - in Bible, history, science, spelling (rod & staff), and even LA (PLL).

Another neat little blurb on history, the state sheets have the motto of each state & facts on the back. Many of the state mottos are biblically based/principled. We have enjoyed talking about the states that took special care to be identified with Godly ideals. Also, the readers & read-alouds, because they are based on this period of history, many have Christian themes, or at least faith is an evident part of daily life.

The history is not integrated in the sense that the science/Bible are for this year, but all of these resources are another way this curriculum allows you to talk about God "as you rise, as you walk down the road, as you lie down at night (paraphrased, obviously!)," and a primary reason our family chose MFW.

I hope this is clearer than mud. :)

Paige in NC

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:58 pm

Paige,

Thank you for such a good overview of the books in Adventures and how they show faith as a natural part of our history. I forgot that both years 4 and 5 use one of those books as well and you are right about how it gently integrates the faith of many of the American figures of our past.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

baileymom

Bible in Adventures

Unread post by baileymom » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:20 am

2amazngkidsmom wrote:How many Bible activities are there in Adventures? I have loved the stories in First grade and have heard that Adventures only has verses to remember on certain days? Should I supplement with other Bible curr.?
Thanks so much
Teresa
No, you won't need to supplement. There are memory verses, activities (some crafts, some food, some drama-ish, etc.), and some weeks even incorporate a bible story or two...and the science goes with bible...like on Jesus, The Bread of Life...there are yeast activities.

My kids are really enjoying The Bible in ADV ( and all the rest of ADV )
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

gratitude

Re: Bible in Adventures

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:26 am

I will share with you what is in Adventures Bible. We are in week 12 of ADV Bible, so what I am giving you is the first 1/3 of the program. I am assuming the rest will be similar.

1. Bible verse memory - There is one verse to be memorized that usually seems to last 2 weeks. This verse is also printed on a cut-out that is glued/taped onto the poster board that has The Names Of Jesus in the center cut-out. For example, for the verse about Jesus being the bread of life the cut-out was a loaf of bread and the verse was printed on it. This verse is also used for a hands on activity. For example, the verse for the light of life was taped onto the outside of a candle and on a light switch plate that we made for their bedroom. The water verse, on a water droplet cut-out, was taped onto a water glass. Etc.

2. Bible readings - there are verses to be read out of the Bible that relate to the theme. For example for Jesus being the living water there were verses to be read from both the old and new testament that related to this theme. One of the chapters we read, for water, was Jesus talking to the Samaritan women by the well, when He told her that He provided water that would make it so she never thirsted again - the living water for our spirits.

Is ADV Bible light? Well... I think it depends on the child, family, home school, how you follow curriculum, etc.

My ds likes to hear themes all together, and wants more of the story.. so I am already using ADV horizontally for each subject. We usually do 2 - 3 days of Bible each day. The only addition to it is Bible for my four year old, which the boys participate in.

Blessings!

2amazngkidsmom

Unread post by 2amazngkidsmom » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks so much for the info. My dd age 7 loves Bible she would sit and listen to and read from bible stories for hours if that is all we had to do. Just wanted to make sure it was enough for her. Glad to know there are lots of activities with the lessons!
Teresa

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi Teresa,

Remember that the First Grade is a study of the Bible so that it is your history as well as your Bible and part of the language arts program. So it may seem at first the the Bible is light because it is not being used in the same manner as in the First Grade.

"Gratitude" mentioned that that there was one memory verse every two weeks. This is the only year that does Part of the reason is the author takes 2 weeks to learn and understand about each name of Jesus incorporating that into the science lessons as well ( for young children taking a little more time to understand these names through the concrete use of science and everyday life is helpful). It is also recommended that when there are Bible readings assigned that your child read those out of the NIrV Bible that comes in this package. The page numbers will even be given in the T.M. as well. So it is being used as a way for 2nd and 3rd graders to practice their reading skills while reading the Bible too.

The Bible is beautifully integrated into the program and you will not need to supplement or add to the program in my opinion.

Blessings,
Lucy

beaglemamma2008

Science and Bible?

Unread post by beaglemamma2008 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:38 pm

Right now we're learning about Jesus as our Shepherd and reading Mountain Born. I think we're getting more Bible from our read-aloud than from anything else right now. It is simply beautiful how the Lord led Marie to put all of this together! Soooo thankful for MFW!!!
Jennifer, mom to:
Hannah, 8. Finished and loved K, 1st, & Adventures. Currently loving ECC.
Millie, 5. Finished Pre-K and K "lite." Currently playing her way through K "for real."

http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com

cbollin

Adventures history refer to God?

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:38 pm

cmarieclough wrote:HI. I'm starting Adventures next year. I'm wondering if the curriculum, mainly the history portions, point to God in any way. For instance, the read alouds. Are they just fun historical books, or do any of them point to Christ? I know we'll have a Bible time, but I want every subject to be based on God's Word and point to Him.
Welcome to the board!

I have a few links that might help with how MFW integrates Bible and Worldview. I'm feeling a little lazy and rather than re writing some thoughts, I'm just going to link to some conversation starters.

Here is information on how Bible is part of everything in MFW
https://www.mfwbooks.com/wps/portal/c/a ... ntegration

You asked about Adventures specifically.. here are some thoughts on that

• Adventures in My Father's World (2nd or 3rd grade) – Students study the names of Jesus, learning about His character while reading from their own grade-level Bible. Science lessons correlate with the names of Jesus (e.g., Bread of Life), and U.S. history spotlights the Biblical character of America's forefathers.
and from MFW's David Hazell... a little bit expansion on the hot topic conversation of "patriotism" and "providence"
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 901&#p6901

Tying that together - at the Adventures level, a lot of the pointing to God comes through character aspects of it all. Additionally, in the "book basket" list (which is a little different from read alouds), the books will vary. Some will have character qualities, some will be just fun historical books.

Specifically in read aloud - some of those are Little House Books. (church and God and family was a big cultural focus then. Doesn't mean the families were perfect and there will be times to read and discuss, hmm.. is that what she/he should have done?). Some books in read aloud point very much to Christ. Mountain Born is about the Good Shepherd. And even the fun historical novels like Sarah Whitcher's Story (I think it was that one..it might have been Sarah Nobel.. I mix them up all these years later) is so much about needing God's help, and how they had to pray and one man finally had to say pretty much God told me where the missing child is.

and I don't know if you've seen page 33 of their current catalog, but you might like to read how MFW has influenced some science publishers to give Glory to our Lord
I think this link will work
https://www.mfwbooks.com/wps/portal/c/evofree

That's at least a help to get the conversation started.
Welcome along!
-crystal

mlhom4him

Re: Adventures history refer to God?

Unread post by mlhom4him » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:34 pm

Hello and welcome to the MFW family!

Several years ago I had the privilege of hearing David Hazell at the OCEAN conference where he presented on the subject of why MFW or something like that. He shared the MFW Vision Statement

• "Raising up generations of families who see the world through God's eyes and live according to that knowledge."

That mission statement is woven throughout the entire curriculum of MFW. It is the driving force behind what books they recommend and the activities that are included.

He also shared the "scope and sequence for Bible" for MFW. MFW is unique in this area. I have not found another curriculum that weaves the scope and sequence for Bible into the curriculum so naturally.

MFWK - God created the world and everything in it.
1st - God gave us His Word to live by.
2nd/3rd (Adv) - The names of God and Jesus
Exploring Countries and Cultures - God wants us to spread His Word to the uttermost parts of the earth
Creation to Greeks through the rest of the cycle to 1850's to Modern History - God and His people affect history
7-12 - In depth study of God's Word and the challenging application that it requires. This will include a verse by verse study of the Old and the New Testaments, memorizing the entire epistle of James and learning and understanding why Christianity is the only way to God versus other world religions. This is not studied until the junior and senior year of high school when the student is very well grounded in the Word.

It is a very integrated curriculum. You will enjoy it!

Mary Lou

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:11 pm

cbollin wrote: Tying that together - at the Adventures level, a lot of the pointing to God comes through character aspects of it all. Additionally, in the "book basket" list (which is a little different from read alouds), the books will vary. Some will have character qualities, some will be just fun historical books.

Specifically in read aloud - some of those are Little House Books. (church and God and family was a big cultural focus then. Doesn't mean the families were perfect and there will be times to read and discuss, hmm.. is that what she/he should have done?). Some books in read aloud point very much to Christ. Mountain Born is about the Good Shepherd. And even the fun historical novels like Sarah Whitcher's Story (I think it was that one..it might have been Sarah Nobel.. I mix them up all these years later) is so much about needing God's help, and how they had to pray and one man finally had to say pretty much God told me where the missing child is.
Just a little example ... we ADORE the book basket. Yes, I'm that mom who unloads my four squirrelly kids from the car every week for a trip to our tiny library who never has a single book I need or want, but our ILL system is fantastic and our librarians love us so they work extra hard to help us along. Anyhoo ... exactly as Crystal said, not every book points to God directly, but the heart of ADV is the names of Jesus and it is so lovely you can't imagine, and the book selections as read alouds and book basket are wholesome and spark excellent discussion, allowing your child to grow in Christ without always being handed Bible connections. Between this and the other years of MFW that we've loved, my girls shine with a servant's heart, so much thanks to MFW. Now, when we read anything from the book basket, or learn about important figures like General Washington, that Christ-like character flows from their hearts.

We were reading a wonderful little book set during the American Revolution and my 2nd grader (ADV) was curious why Washington was so set on freeing our country when he had slaves. How could one, even someone as deeply good as Washington, fight for freedom while not all people could be free? This sparked such a good discussion on God's hand in history and no matter how "good" a person's character, we must pray that all men and women, like those who shape our country, bow down to our true God who makes all things possible, like an end to slavery. I just wanted to encourage you that it sounds like if you are asking this question then you are already teaching your kids in ways that always point to God, but sometimes it's pretty neat to see them take what they hold in their hearts, make connections, and run with it, and then want to pray about it and share it.

Welcome and good luck in your decisions. :-)
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:25 pm

There is another thread right now that might be very helpful for you to read. The person that started it is asking about ADV in particular, and a lot of information about the program comes out on the following thread:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12329

God is central to MFW. The names of Jesus in ADV are beautiful. There are two main history spines in ADV: Pioneers and Patriots and US History by Marie Hazel. The Pioneers and Patriots books is by a Christian publisher. It naturally refers to God, brings up peoples relationship to God, etc. as a part of the text. Marie too makes references to God. For example, she reveals the fact that one of Christopher Columbus intentions to finding the West Indies was to share the gospel with the people. Another example in the Pioneers book would be after the house is saved from a fire in Jamestown the family bows their head and gives thanksgiving and praises to God for their dinner that was provided them by the neighbors and the safety of their family. So yes, Adventures History refers to God in the texts.

As David Hazel says on one of his CDs, "In MFW Bible is everywhere."

Blessings,