Combining Adventures and K

Wendy B.

Combing K and Adventures for Bible...which way?

Unread post by Wendy B. » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:54 am

starryiz929 wrote:Planning on doing MFW K and MFW Adventures with my 6 and 8 year old next year. I know both do Bible in the program. For time sake, I think I might combine some of that. We are a new Christian family. My kids don't know hardly anything from the Bible except the general stuff like God created you and the world.

Do you think it would be helpful to have my older child do the MFW K Bible with us too?
The year that we did Adventures and MFW K was one of my favorite years. You do not want to miss out on the Bible in Adventures. The "Names of Jesus" poster is precious. I do not remember a lot of details of Bible in K but it was very age appropriate and not time consuming.

My plan was to have the K'er participate as much as possible in Adventures and then skip most of the activities in K. However, the activities in K were too much fun to miss. Usually, I would start the day with the oldest in Adventures. The K'er participated in most of it. She really enjoyed the state sheets but usually skipped some of the longer readings. In the mornings, I would also be able to complete the phonics/math portion of K.

After lunch, I would do the activities from K if time allowed. My older child would occasionally participate in the less crafty activities. We did the read alouds at bedtime.

The combination of Adventures and K was not especially time consuming. If we skipped anything, it was the activities in K since the my younger child could participate in many of the activities in Adventures.

HTH
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

lea_lpz

Re: Combing K and Adventures for Bible...which way?

Unread post by lea_lpz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:14 pm

All ears. I'll be doing k and ADV fall 2014 if all goes according to plan :).

I think the previous poster gave sound advice. I have read on the facts page and heard from reading board posts that ADV students do an hour of independent work, so I would do what I can with MFWK during that hour. You should be able to do math, Lang., and Bible in an hour, possibly a read aloud if your k'er works quickly (mine doesn't so math and Lang and Bible would be the max). Also, I have heard their is a lot of overlap between the ADV and K Bible but the themes aren't matched up to the same weeks, however it works out as a nice review. If you go through the board and type in ADV and mfw k you'll see a lot of threads on combining those two. It seems to be such a common sibling age gap, so lots of people do mfw k and ADV together.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

Julie in MN

Re: Combing K and Adventures for Bible...which way?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:39 pm

starryiz929 wrote:I know both do Bible in the program. For time sake, I think I might combine some of that. We are a new Christian family. My kids don't know hardly anything from the Bible except the general stuff like God created you and the world.

Do you think it would be helpful to have my older child do the MFW K Bible with us too?
For a new Christian family, I think the Bible in K might be perfect, at least at first. You could always add Adventures if you find you have the time or are ready for more. The Adventures Bible study seems lovely, too, and do-able.

MFW-K starts out with the days of creation. My little grandson wasn't from a new Christian family, but we do live in a very secular area which is reinforced in the media and the public school he attends, and he just totally embraced the first unit in K about creation - knowing not only that God made everything, but that He told us the details!

Then the weekly unit themes for the rest of the K year tell very precious things about God in a very child-friendly way. There are extra parent verses and notes, but those could just be for you, and your children could enjoy memorizing the unit theme, such as "I am safe in God" - that's from K which is where we are right now, and we talk about how kangaroo mamas protect those tiny babies but the manual also carefully tells us what God has told us about how we are safe in Him.

A significant point in K is around the middle of the year, when unit 12 teaches probably the most important and most difficult theme, "Jesus died for my sins." It is carefully presented at a child's level, and ties in to a story of goats in the Old Testament. This is one of the reasons I think the K Bible might be perfect for a new Christian family. My little grandson went from admiring the "big t" at church LOL, to thanking God for forgiving us and for paying for our sins, just with that little lesson reinforced over a week. Well, likely he had some exposure in other ways, but that unit just seemed to pull it all together for his 6-year-old mind.

I also really like the NIrV Bible in Adventures for those reading the Bible for the first time, even adults. It is a full Bible, but has shorter words and sentences. So it might be a good place to turn even for the Kindergarten Bible quotes or when you want to learn more about the kindergarten themes. I think some of the lessons in Adventures will teach your older child how to open up the Bible and understand where things are, so those might be nice to include, as well.

I think your children will be blessed,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

♥nbamaboyz

Getting Concerned, Please Help - K & ADV

Unread post by ♥nbamaboyz » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:31 pm

GLPerky wrote:This upcoming school year we will be doing MFW K and Adventures. I am concerned about the time each of these will take. Not concerned about my time but adding that much time to theirs. I know it is all part of it, but... I can't imagine leaving anything out of K because it all looks so neat and fits together so nicely, so I am not, at this point, going to be combining. Anyway, can someone give me some tips on how to schedule all of this, how to add this much time to their school day, or point me in the direction to some links that might help, or whatever you want to input. Thank you.
We have almost completed ADV & K this year along with a 3yr old :O)
It's hard to say exactly what your schedule will look like since only you know who can do what subject well independently for the school week but once we figured that out things have went smooth for our school week. Our time has been used much more efficiently!

Some other things that have helped us
Doing Bible during breakfast, listening ears are on while mouths are full :O)
Doing Music during lunch again a mouth full so they are actually listening.
We do read alouds at bedtime & I also carry our read aloud for the week or weeks with us on the road incase we have a chance to read together.

ADV'er can read some of the stories from K'er Lit.Package to K'er ~ example "Toad & Frog are Friends," K'er needs to hear story about "frog" & ADV'er needs practice reading so it works out well :O)

I try to help one dc while the other dc is busy working independently. Also if I know my ADV'er needs more help in a subject I let my K'er either look at a book that goes along with his unit or I let him totally leave us for awhile if I can't think of any independent work for him at that moment...Spelling is a good example of this, I never make my K'er sit with us as my ADV'er takes a test OR is learning a new Math concept.
HTH.....as you wait for more advice/tips :O)
It can seem overwhelming holding 2 TM's & different grades BUT it is a very FUN year. Give yourself 2 weeks or so & you'll feel much better! Don't lose a nights sleep over this coming year LOL it's a great year!

Wendy B.

Re: Getting Concerned, Please Help

Unread post by Wendy B. » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:44 am

The year we did MFW K and Adv. was one of my favorite years. Due to dynamics within my family,I did not do a lot of combining nor expect them to work independently.

Typically, I would start with the K'r . Once she was working on the project (or doing a unrelated craft project), I would start working through the Adv. grid with my elder child. My younger child typically did join us for science, the "Names of Jesus" poster, and the state sheets in Adv. but it wasn't an expectation. As I worked with one child, the other was free to come or go. I keep a collection of "stuff" that they can do during school time while I work with the other child. We usually were done by lunchtime. Although our school day was longer that year then previous years, it was a smooth transition.
Wendy B.
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

Poohbee

Delay K to coincide with Adv?

Unread post by Poohbee » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:12 pm

bethinga wrote:I'm beginning Adv with my 2nd grade ds, but I've already begun K with my dd. She'll be on Unit 2 Moon at the same time he's doing Week 1 of Adv.

Should I delay her Moon unit until his Wk 4/5 Light of the World lesson? Or, is there some other way they should coincide? Or, should I just go ahead as is and trust it will still fall into place? I've read that K and Adv coincide a lot, so I don't want to be off too much in our weeks to miss out on that.

Thanks!
I would just continue on with both programs. It can make you crazy trying to get things to coincide just right. And, if one studies something ahead of the other, it just serves as a nice review. For example, when we did ECC, my younger dd was doing K. We studied African animals in ECC, and we studied Elephant (and other African animals) in K, too, but not at the same time. I can't remember which one we came to first (probably ECC), but it just served as a review when we did it in K, because my K'er had already learned a bit about it in ECC.

So, I would just carry on and review the concepts when they come up again later.
bethinga wrote:Thanks, that helps!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Julie in MN

Need help

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:26 pm

bethinga wrote:I'm having a hard time doing K and 2nd grade together. I've tried it a few different ways and can't decide which is best. I'd appreciate some advice. I'm using K with my DD and Adventures with my DS.

When I try doing school with both kids together, which is my IDEAL, since they could both glean from both curriculums, they unintentionally distract one another from individual seat work, and if one needs extra help, the other wanders off or complains of being bored. It was too hard for me to multi-task so much, and many days, they'd end up in tears. So, I began doing their school separately, trying one combined activity first thing in the morning, whenever possible, to get a little of that "together" feeling. Following advice I've read here, I tried doing school with the K'er first while DS played. This worked well, until it was her turn to play while DS had school. Well, she can't seem to play alone yet (for very long) and eventually disrupts his school. So, I started allowing her to play educational computer games while I do his school. Of course, then HE wanted computer games in the morning while I do her school. Which is fine...except that after a morning of computer games, DS has no attention span left for Adventures. *Sigh* SO...I switched them. DS does school first, while DD plays educational computer games. This works out really well for DS. But, I feel guilty that DD is playing on the computer for almost 2 hours every morning, instead of playing like a normal 5 year old!

Which solution is the lesser of evils? Or maybe there's a solution I haven't thought of?
Just to start the conversation until busy moms get a chance to chime in, I thought I'd check on whether you'd read Marie's recommendations for combining.

On this thread, if you scroll down to "The next year (1st and 2nd)," even though you're doing K and 2nd, it might give you an idea of what to combine, what to skip for the younger one, and what to teach separately:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5510

Maybe if you combine at least some subjects, it will minimize the amount of time you have to deal with teaching separately?

There are also about 4 pages of posts about K/ADV here, in case you haven't happened upon this thread:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3419

I don't have your exact experience, but I do think that learning to balance everyone's needs can be a major goal for this year, just like the classroom teacher sometimes has a major goal of helping everyone in the classroom learn to get along and follow the classroom routine.

Best wishes as you work this out,
Julie

Cici

Re: Need help

Unread post by Cici » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi,
I am not speaking from the experience of successfully teaching 2 at those ages, however, the first thing that came to mind while reading your post is: Reward System & Brain Breaks.

We use Proverbs Dollars, which she may spend at our "Store" for 30 mins of iPad time, dessert, etc...

That motivates my 6 yr old DD to keep her focus & do well.

Brain breaks are GREAT & is said to actually help perform better academically. You can google a ton of ideas for them. My DD takes gymnastics & ballet, so she practices those during brain breaks.

Hope this helps in some way :)
Follower of Christ
Wife of a Pilot
Mommy to our Prince (MFW Preschool) & Princess (MFW Adventures)
Blessed that God called me to Homeschool

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi- Thanks for the help. I've started carefully looking over the curriculum the night before to narrow down which activities we can do together first, then I have them both at the table, alternating independent and help-with-Mom work. I took the advice to give frequent breaks and snacks, and that seems to be helping with the interruptions and distractions. So far, so good! :)
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:02 am

I can share how "I" do more than one program together. Usually I start with the week before. I try to look over everything we have to do, get extra supplies (you know like cotton swabs or an ingredient we may not have), then I try to be sure all the student sheets are ready to go for the week. I like to have things cut out that need to be cut out, art cards and state cards punched and ready things like that. Often times for me the biggest issue is prepping something ahead! Also having my books out or near me helps too. Nothing to search for. And having thier work stacked or ready near us as well. I go round robin at the table each day. I have a quiet activity for them to do while they wait for me. Dry erase board, silly putty, book basket books, and a tablet with games.

Bible
When I start my day we do bible. We use ALL the older program bible and PART of the younger program. In K we all memorize the saying and in 1st we all memorize the proverb. But I dont read all the devotions for K and 1st. We just kinda talk about it each day. Then we do read all the devotion and memorize the verse for the older program. If there is dictation or copy work the younger ones do the olders verses. I print handwriting sheets to trace with the verse on it for them as part of my week before prep.

Spelling
During spelling time my K or 1st will do a coloring page or activity they can do alone. This is where weekly prep helps because I preplan what they will do while the other is working. Right now my 1st grader is coloring a book of the bible coloring page during spelling. But the quiet activities can also be used. Like Starfall on the tablet would be good. When the little one is occupied I can work with the older one on spelling. I set a timer. I tell everyone at the table that when the timer beeps we will do the next thing. So, the little one knows to last till the timer beeps, no interruptions.

English time
Again I need to look at my K program to decide what should be done at this time. If there is nothing independent I would choose to do a short 10 min section of the phonics program for the younger because I just worked for 10 min with the older child. So I might give the older one a quiet activity to work on (like using the letter puzzle to make spelling words to practice). Again timer set 10 min. then I switch kids, younger does a quiet thing and older gets my attention.

History, Science, Music and Art.
By this time the younger needs to MOVE! So I send them to the porch to play, to the swings, or to their room to play quietly till the timer beeps. 30 min usually. Then I can do all the history READING with the older. I print off state coloring sheets from crayola.com for the younger so if its a state page we would do that all together. Again weekly prep comes in handy. I can also see that there may be a project the younger one can do so we do that.

Book Basket, Reading, Math
Book basket is usually covered by the older during Quiet activity. The younger might have gotten some book looking at done as well. Usually I have my emergent reader (2 and 3rd grade) read aloud to me while I prepare lunch. Also this could be the itme I sit all the kids down iwth the book basket to read and look at books while I throw some leftovers in the microwave. We set the timer for 1 hour, have lunch and play afterwards. Go outside if you can! Switch the laundry over, check some email or facebook. When the timer beeps we transition to Math time. During Math time I work on whatever the younger persons math is first. The older ones finish reading, a notebook assignment or work on math wraps, fast facts or online math drill games. When Im done with the younger I send them off for rest time in their room. Then I set the timer for Math with the older crew. Then we clean up and are done for the day.

Read Alouds.
we do those together at night. This is when I read the younger programs book basket books to them. I have them pick one or two we read together. then I read the older crews read aloud. Sometimes I also read a book basket book from the older year that is short and easy. And occasionally I need to hear a reader read. :) Just depends but its a family even done every evening but Wed and Sun.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

moonangel

Unread post by moonangel » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Do they get up at the same time in the mornings? We are starting to find a new routine after a late switch to MFW (K & Adv.) - I have two younger ones that add a bit to the dynamics as well which has been fun ;) . My oldest (ODS - 7) tends to sleep later than everyone else so after we have a little cuddle time for the girls to wake up (ODD - 5, YDD - 3) they enjoy getting some special school time without their older brother. YDS (22 months) is in the thick of it, but his best time is first thing in the morning anyway... he's a pistol by late morning. We can usually get through her stuff before he even wakes up, then we have breakfast and then we'll do his. The girls are free to stay at the table and work/play/color quietly (which is a work in progress, my 3 year old is a chatterbox and just rambles constantly) or they can go look at books or play with legos in their room. ODS definitely doesn't like feeling "left out" of anything so it has been a challenge to find them something to do that doesn't completely take his attention away.

[Editor's Note: Read the response/end of the story here http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 73#p100191 ]

kw4blessings

Adventures + K students

Unread post by kw4blessings » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:32 pm

littlebylittle wrote:Does anyone have ideas on how to do Adventures + K together?
Should I just focus on the K with one kid and then do Adventures with my other two at a different time?
My hunch is I shouldn't incorporate the K'er into the Adventures curriculum (with my 2nd and 3rd graders) because they need to try to work through their own K curriculum.
Hi. We did Adv and K together last year. I really wanted to do all of both curriculums because they are both so wonderful and full and I didn't want to leave anything out. Unfortunately, life got in the way of my plans....as it always does, right? ;)

In the end, we ended up doing almost everything in Adv(deluxe) and the Bible, phonics, and math lessons from K. We would occasionally include an activity from K, when I was feeling crafty or we had extra time. Even though I welcomed him, my son (K) did not end up being very involved in the Adv curriculum. He was a young K'er (turned 5 in Aug when we started). I did his K stuff first thing in the morning and by the time we were done (30 minutes or so), he was done and wanted to play with his brother (3yo). He did enjoy some of the Adv read alouds and history stories.

So, that was our experience in a nutshell. It was a great year! I would encourage you to try all of both curriculums if you're wanting to, but don't be afraid to drop things if you get overwhelmed. Have fun!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

lea_lpz

Re: Adventures + K students

Unread post by lea_lpz » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:42 am

I am doing k this year with my k & 2nd grader.

We have gotten through weeks 1-9 in ADV and the Thanksgiving unit.

My k'er had done the intro and units 1-4 plus tagged along for Thanksgiving.

We're doing holiday school right now so that's been fun.

I am doing most of the k program but we are doing k over two years with my summer birthday 5 year old so we plan to take about a year and half to do k and a year and half to do 1st. What's working for me to do this by rotating between doing Bible, Math, Lang and reading from book list one day and then doing some of the activities the next day. We don't always follow the schedule exactly but the goal is to get through days 1-3 week 1 and days 4-6 in week 2. My k'er is usually happy to just do k and not to much ADV unless it's hands on science or baking or crafting, etc. But even then he gets that with k so I think he gets his fix! I have a 1-hour cut off for getting k done. If we were doing this in one year we'd probably not get to the activities much.

As far as ADV we are completing most if it but I feel like I would like to go a bit lighter on school for a bit so we might start doing half pace this year and carrying into next fall but still moving along at regular pace for Lang & math. I have an 9-month old so that's why it is hard to get it all done. I think realistically doing 1-/2 of ADV could help us spend less time overall on school daily without needing to drop the fun stuff I like about the program.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

Poohbee

How do I teach 2nd grader & kindergartener together in M

Unread post by Poohbee » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:11 pm

hsmom5 wrote:I will be starting God's Creation from A to Z for one of my younger children and Adventures in US history for my 2nd grader.. Any tips on possibly teaching these grade levels together like in the higher grades? or do I have to wait until my younger is in 2nd grade? Thanks!!!!
Even though you are using two different programs, you can even start doing some teaching of your kids together in the coming school year. There are a lot of fun, hands-on activities and science experiments in the Adventures program that your Kindergartener may want to join in on, too. The K program (God's Creation from A to Z) only takes 60-90 minutes, and sometimes less, depending on the day, and Adventures only takes maybe 2-3 hours. You may be able to fit in activities from both programs for both kids to join in on together.

The way I always do it with my younger ones (K-1st), though, is to do their program with them, and then I let them join in on anything they'd like from the older program. I don't force them to join us. If they've done "their school" for the day, and they just want to go play, that is fine with me. Play is still so important at that age. If they want to join us for some of the activities we're doing in the older program, that is great, too. So, you could certainly end up teaching your kids together some with the programs you will be using.

As the kids get older, there will always be a time of individualized learning. The kids will always need to do math and language arts at their own level. But, one of the beautiful things about MFW is the family learning that takes place. You can teach history/geography, science, art, music, read-aloud, etc. to all of the kids together. Each child takes away from it what they are able at their own level, and they do assignments that match the level they are at. If you have a 4th grader and 2nd grader studying the same topic, and they need to write a summary of what they learned, perhaps the 4th grader must write a 5-sentence paragraph, and the 2nd grader can write one or two sentences. It just depends on each child's abilities.

So, the short answer is, no, you don't have to wait until your younger child is in 2nd grade in order to teach them together. You can start teaching them together right away, if the younger one wants to join in on some of the older child's activities. You do still need to use separate programs for K and 1st. Then, starting in 2nd grade, you can use the same base program, but you get separate math and language arts for the appropriate ages of your kids.

Even next year, as you do ECC (Exploring Countries and Cultures) with your oldest, you will still need to do a separate 1st grade program with your youngest. But, there are so many things the 1st grader will be able to join in on...Bible, art, music, traveling to the new country and getting the passport stamped, etc.
Also is anyone supplementing with anything else in these grades... I thought about incorporating another elementary science curriculum (notebooking journal) for extra science fun??
As far as supplementing, I would try starting with Adventures as written, and then add later if you feel the need to. In Adventures, the Names of Jesus study in Bible is tied to the science. You use Usborne science books with fun, easy experiments. Science is light and fun that year. Don't feel the need to pile on too much. Keep some subjects light and fun, if you can. There will be plenty of time for heavier science in later years. :-) K (God's Creation from A to Z) and Adventures are 2 of my favorite years! Enjoy!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Julie in MN

Re: How do I teach 2nd grader & kindergartener together in M

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:51 am

Agreeing with Jen that a lot of combining can go on.

The thing is that Math and English need to be at each child's level, and that's what K and 1st basically are (as well as some character training and fun).

HTH,
Julie

hsmom5

Re: How do I teach 2nd grader & kindergartener together in M

Unread post by hsmom5 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:35 pm

Hello Jen & Julie!!!

Everything you both said was extremely helpful, made a lot of sense!! THANK YOU!!! I look forward to another year in teaching my little ones the MFW curriculum. So much to learn on the "how to's" of homeschooling multiple children, but I am thankful for websites like these where we can actually reach out to one another for help/ideas when needed!!

Thanks again ladies!!
Take care!!

wbbeachbum

MFW Adv and K?

Unread post by wbbeachbum » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:33 pm

HomeschoolHarvest wrote:I am considering using Adventures and K for my two youngest next year. How do those two work together?
Thanks!
Kristen
The year we did Adv and K was one of my favorite years.

My older child did all of Adv and enjoyed some of K, especially the science portions. My younger child did all of K and enjoyed some of Adv, especially the state sheets, names of Jesus, and science. It meshed well together.

Best of luck!

Currently homeschooling 16yo ds, 13yo dd, 13 yo dd, & 7 yo dd.
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp1850, 1850MOD, AHL, & WHL