Writing - Encouraging writing in Adventures

Ariasarias

Writing - Encouraging writing in Adventures

Unread post by Ariasarias » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:55 pm

bethben wrote:Here's the latest mystery in our homeschool experience (the first was how does ds learn to read?): learning to put thoughts down on paper.

Looking through Adventures, I notice that there's not a whole lot of writing (copywork yes- in the LA). Ds does not on his own write down a lot of stuff. Should we do a simple journal where we write back and forth to each other so he can get comfortable with writing?

How do you even go about correcting their spelling without crushing any desire to write? The newest mystery...
Beth
I am about to start Adventures. As I look through the TM it looks as though they will be writing as they work on their notebooks when they narrate.

I imagine it would be a good idea if you think your ds needs more practice to help him start a journal or may a story notebook.

As far as spelling, I read in Ruth Beechick's 3 R's to just quickly and gently show them what they need to correct so they do not form any bad habits in their spelling. In my case, my dd is very much a perfectionist. I was quite scared to correct her because she hates to erase anything. I kind of just gently would say, "Would you like to know how to spell the words that you wrote?" It seemed to work. Now she actually asks me to correct her work. Sometimes she is a little sensitive to the whole erasing thing still, so I actually erase it for her as I talk her through the correction.

We also started a spelling dictionary (a small notebook with one letter of the alphabet on top of each page). Whenever she is writing and doesn't know how to spell a word, she or I will write it in her spelling dictionary so she can look it up in the future.
Nicole :)
Nicole, wife to Claudio since 1996, and mom to dd (2000), dd (2003), dd (2005), and ds (2009).

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:18 pm

Beth,

There are several other places for writing in Adventures that may not be obvious in the beginning. Some of the places allow for structured writing, and other for a more creative side.

You can make a science experiment journal. That will not really help with creative writing, but it will give some practice in structured writing. You would not have to do one every experiment. But a report style can help you to get your thoughts down on paper. It does not have to be a full science report each time. Just enough to write down what you did. This is 2nd or 3rd grade.

A simple kind of "report" would be
What I did today:
What happened?
Why do I think this happened?

Also, in ADV, you have an optional nature walk/journaling. That can be another place to have some creative writing. That was a fun time for my girls. They would sketch a flower or something and then they wrote a poem or a short story or something. We had a neat moment (doesn't always happen like this...) where the oldest wrote down the poem that the younger sister came up with. They were all excited. Mom -- we did this together. She made up that poem all by herself and I just wrote it for her because I can write faster. It was a cute moment. Wish we had more of those.

Another area with some more structured writing in Adventures will be with the narrative summary sheets that are scheduled in various parts.

And I'm not sure what you are using for language arts, but there are some writing assignments in Primary Language Lessons as well. although I tended to do the Observation Lessons in PLL orally, you could use many of them to write a small paragraph (3 sentences). There are other types of lessons in PLL that involve writing.

For spelling .... at this age we just keep spelling and writing separate. When my kids are trying hard to write, I just tell them the spelling if they ask. If it is copywork I have them correct it, but not when they are trying to get their thoughts down on paper. There's a time to go back and edit things, and times to not worry too much on it. Sometimes my kids will go back and re-read something they have written quickly to get their thoughts down and catch their own mistakes (hey mom! what is this word I wrote?).

That's just some ideas there.

--crystal

scmlg

Unread post by scmlg » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:10 pm

We just finished Adv.

There will be writing in the Primary Lang. Lesson book if you are using it. It'll be copy work, but also a friendly letter at some point.

For the History notebook you'll be assembling, I had my boys write the number of sentences per grade they were in. So, my third grader had to write my 3 sentences about what we learned that day and what picture he drew for the notebook. My first grader had to write 1 sentence.

Then there is whatever handwriting you are doing as well. With all that, it was plenty for us!
Mom to 3 boys. Curtis, 11, Kyle, 9.5, Colton 3 years old. Live in Amish Country, Ohio.

Finished Adventures
Finished ECC
Finished CtoG
Working on R to R and a bit of preschool time

ShariD

Unread post by ShariD » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:49 pm

I love Nicole's ideas about asking if the child wants to know what is spelled wrong and keeping a spelling dictionary. I, too, have a perfectionist and think those ideas would work well with him.

I love to write, so I have been frustrated that my son is not excited about it. So many things come easy to him that this is an area where I have challenged him a bit.

We tried some creative writing last spring where he picked a topic and added a sentence a day. At the end of the week, he re-wrote the sentences and added an illustration (drawing is a big interest of his). I was surprised at how motivating this was for him -- once he selected the week's topic.

We're in Wk 1 of Adventures and I must confess that I haven't looked ahead in great detail. (This is our 3rd year with MFW, so I start with what they suggest then change or supplement it if I see my children need it.) Would that approach work for the history notebook? Write a sentence after each history lesson so that by the end of the week/topic there is a summary ready to illustrate?

I like Crystal's simple science report idea, too. I know we talk about hypotheses soon, which is important in science and critical thinking. I think I'll create a form and add "What did I think would happen?" as the first question! (Edited to add: I found some free printable simple science experiment report forms online.)

Thanks for sharing!
Shari in Iowa
5th year with MFW (C2G)
teaching Miles (age 10) & Maria (age 7)