Science - Magnet kit questions

JenniferF

Science - Magnet kit questions

Unread post by JenniferF » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:36 pm

My kids want to open the magnet kit!!???
Daisy wrote:My 5.5yo DS who is tagging along for Adventures is frankly in love with the unopened magnet kit. He wants to open it sooooo mad. So the question is do I hold off until we actually study magnets or just give in?? He actually snuck it out of the cabinet (for the 5th time) and was sound asleep in his bed with it tucked in his arms. I'm nuts not to just open it, right??
The magnet kit isn't used until toward the end of Adventures. My girls also were anxious to get it open and play with it so we did. They have loved it!! They will just randomly get it out, maybe doing the activities in it or just playing around with the magnets. We finished Adv in June and my oldest had the magnet kit out again just the other day.

I say go with his enthusiasm and enjoy!
Jennifer

courthart246

Unread post by courthart246 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:52 pm

I would definitely open it up and let your child dig in! How great that he's so interested in it! You can always put it away for a few months when he's done. Then it will be new again when you pull it out to be used with your curriculum. Both my second grader and my four year old loved the magnets when we did Adventures last year. They still play with them this year.

Have fun!
Courtney
Courtney
Married 20 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 16 (World History and Literature)
ds - 13 (Exploration to 1850)
dd - 10 (Exploration to 1850)

scmlg

Unread post by scmlg » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:39 pm

Same here, we ended up opening it early. Just be careful not to let them lose anything! LOL
Mom to 3 boys. Curtis, 11, Kyle, 9.5, Colton 3 years old. Live in Amish Country, Ohio.

Finished Adventures
Finished ECC
Finished CtoG
Working on R to R and a bit of preschool time

KellyinPA

? adventures magnet set

Unread post by KellyinPA » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:05 am

*leah wrote:Hello, :) I was going to order my stuff for next year and started wondering if I should get the magnet set. we have a similar magnet set (some lost pieces now). Are the activities written in the planner for it? Do you think I need their specific set?

on a side not...... ;) I just have to mention that today Jake said, "mom, school is so much fun I am forgettig we are doing school!" :-) Wow, is that music to a mama's ears!!! :-)
Hi Leah,

The "My First Magnet Kit" is scheduled in the ADV TM. It says to use "card 3A-3B" on a certain day and it does give some notes to go along with it. Magnets are not scheduled until Week 29 so you could wait until later in the year to purchase it, that's what I did :)
Blessings,
Kelly
MFW K, 1st, ADV
ECC 2009/2010

tabby

Re: ? adventures magnet set

Unread post by tabby » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:16 am

Just to add...
The lessons are scheduled in the TM, but most are just listed as card numbers to do for the day. The cards that come with the kit are what actually have the lessons on them. The TM just adds info/clarification to some of the lessons.

As an alternative, did your set come with specific lessons/experiments? Maybe there is a Usbourne book at the library (or the likes) that would have simple magnet experiments for you to use with your set. Just a thought... ;)

The set is a lot of fun! My DD and 4 yo DS enjoyed the lessons, as well as just playing with them. :-) It was hard not to give in to the temptation to play with the set before time. ;) We put it on a top shelf until time to use it and I must say, it was well worth the wait! :-)
Tabatha :)
2011-2012: RTR - dd 10, ds 7
Enjoying our 6th year with MFW