Language Arts - Still working on reading

Mommyto3boys

Language Arts - Still working on reading

Unread post by Mommyto3boys » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:33 pm

RachelT wrote:Hello! My ds has completed both MFW K and 1st grade work over the last two years and will be in 2nd grade this coming school year. Some things have been more challenging than others, especially fine motor skills and reading. I've been planning on doing Adventures next year, but I need some advice.

Yesterday I took my son to a friend who is a Reading Recovery teacher, she was kind enough to assess his reading level. She said that it's just a little behind where she would like it to be at the end of 1st grade (RR level 12).

I know his fine motor skills are obviously "behind" because it was just painful to get him to copy the Proverbs and sentences in his Bible Notebook last year.

So, now that I have that information I just want to know if we will still be okay going ahead with Adventures next year? I really was looking forward to it and I don't want to repeat what we did in 1st grade. I am hoping that we can do reading and writing at his level, adapting the Adventures work as needed. Will this work? Or is he too "behind"? I remember that the spelling book looked good, the PLL looked like it would start out slowly. I don't really remember what is supposed to be written in the history notebook. I know we can do lots of library books (or our own, or these RR books), but I don't know if he will be able to read the Bible in the Adventures package just yet. Is there anything I'm forgetting? (I'm not worried about science, music, art, etc. I know those will be no problem.) Just any thoughts on what some of you have done with Adv. in this type of situation would be helpful!

Rachel
Lot of PLL can be done orally. You can adjust how much he writes. For the history notebook, your son could dictate to you what to write. You could have him write it out over a week or have him write part and you write the other part. The spelling book does not have much written work to do for a week. When my ds was in 2nd for Adventures, I read books from the book basket. He would not have been able to read those on his own yet. He did often look at the pictures in the books.

I think you can continue with Adventures and just work on your son's reading and writing. My ds had some fine motor delays so I adjusted his work accordingly. I worked with him doing writing each year. This year I am confident that he can handle the writing.

Debbie in NC
Mom to 3ds (9, 6, and 4) and 1 dd (16mo.)

TammyB

Unread post by TammyB » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:16 pm

My son still had lots of writing issues this past year as we used Adventures. I definitely had to modify and pick and choose what writing I required of him. (He narrated most of the history while I typed it on the computer.)

He copied most of the Bible verses, wrote in the spelling book, and did some of the writing in PLL. (We are not through the second grade portion of PLL yet.) He also did some writing on notebooking pages that I made.

He would still probably tell you he wrote way too much!

I also read lots of the book basket titles to him and to his little sister.

I think you are fine to start Adventures and modify it as needed. :)

We will be starting ECC in the fall, and I already know that I will have to modify the amount of writing that I expect.

Hope that helps!

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:22 pm

I just want to second & third what the others have said. We did a lot of modifying when we began PLL in ADV. If I remember correctly, Day 2 of PLL asks your child to do copywork ~ like, 3 small paragraphs!! Knowing this would completely intimidate my son, I had Max copy 2 sentences instead.

The point of the exercise was copywork. As the mom, I get to decide how much is appropriate for my child. That is one of the BEAUTIFUL things about PLL and homeschooling in general! Feel the freedom to adjust for your child's needs and be confident in that. At the end of the year you will see progress. And you will be encouraged & have even more confidence that God made YOU the mama for a reason!! :)

As far as the other subjects go ~ plan to do more of the reading for/with your child. As you go, you will find times to ask your son to do the reading. Again, you can gauge when it will go smoothly and when he will be overwhelmed.

All that to say, I don't think you'll have any problems with ADV. Have a great summer & a great year in MFW!! :)

Renai

Unread post by Renai » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:43 pm

I agree with the above. Since my daughter reads in a completely different language anyway, I knew she wouldn't be reading anything in book basket (unless found in the other language- even then...). She enjoyed the pictures, and I read a lot of books. A LOT of books. I found a Bible she could read. Sometimes we stretched out the writing for the history notebook (she dictated while I wrote, then she copied), and sometimes I just wrote it for her- especially since she wanted to write mostly in English and she didn't know how, lol! We are just about finished with Adventures (we MIGHT finish before September....) and on day 42 in MFW1 phonics, to give you an idea of where she is at (we haven't been using it every day, but she's starting to decode unfamiliar words, yeah!).

All that to say: adjust. The content for dd's 2nd grade year was spot on, but we needed to adjust some of the requirements to meet where she was at, and the goals we have set. You can write some for him while he dictates, have him copy it, or write it so he fills in some of his own blanks (writing, reading, and comprehension). As he improves with his therapy, it can gradually increase. A lot of PLL can be orally.

You both are going to love Adventures!
Renai
Wife to Enrique
Mom of two dd- 9/99 & 1/11

Bilingual homeschool
2004-05 SL
2005-2012 MFW
2012-2013 K12
2013-2014 dual-language charter
2014-2015 MFW Ancients/young'un- MFW preschool, reading books

http://creativeplaybilingual.blogspot.com/

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:33 am

Another PLL "freedom" here, Rachel ~

When we had a day where there were say, 8-10 sentences to copy, choosing is/are (or whatever) to fill in the blanks, if we didn't do it orally, I would have my son do half one day & half the next. You only do PLL three days a week, and even with stretching it out like that, we still finished the prescribed section of PLL before the end of the year (2nd & 3rd grade).

Also, sometimes when the student is asked to choose words to fill in the blanks (as with to, too & two), I would write those words on the white board and ask Max to point to (circle, put a check by, etc.) the one that best completed the sentence (we would take turns reading the sentences out loud). That gave us a little up & down ~ getting rid of some of the 'boy' energy! ;)

Lots of freedom with PLL & MFW!! :)

TammyB

Unread post by TammyB » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:52 am

TurnOurHearts wrote:Also, sometimes when the student is asked to choose words to fill in the blanks (as with to, too & two), I would write those words on the white board and ask Max to point to (circle, put a check by, etc.) the one that best completed the sentence (we would take turns reading the sentences out loud). That gave us a little up & down ~ getting rid of some of the 'boy' energy! ;)
One more idea: I typed some of those fill-in-the-blank type of exercises and made worksheets out of them that Chandler and I worked on together.

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:14 pm

Thanks for all of the encouragement and ideas about how to make Adventures work. Especially after getting his reading assessment I began wondering if I should use something else next year and do Adventures in 3rd grade instead (my ds is the oldest)?

I guess my anxiety comes from feeling like although we completed all of the work in 1st grade, maybe he wouldn't really be ready for the work of the Adventures material. I guess that now I feel like he wasn't ready for all of 1st grade, but he is a Feb. birthday so these "delays" are a big part of why I am homeschooling. I wonder if we need another year of really working on reading and writing (and everything else), but I would have to figure out how to put a plan together. I love MFW (they put my "plan" together for me!) and I would like to just stick with MFW, but would it benefit us to wait a year to do Adventures in 3rd grade when he is older? I know, I need to pray about it again.

Have any of you taught Adv. to a 3rd grader? Have any of you done some other curriculum between 2nd and 3rd grade? Or am I just panicking here? He is a bright little guy, I don't want to hold him back, I just want him to feel successful and be more positive about school, in general. Maybe Adv. will be just right for him, it's just hard for me to tell!

Thanks so much for your thoughts!
Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:27 pm

Hey Rachel.

Why not just use Adventures and work with him on his own level of reading during "reading time" on the grid. You could even repeat the New Testaments readings from the 1st grade Bible reader for a little while if you want to.

He'll like the fun stuff in ADV. :)
RachelT wrote:She said that there was nothing alarming about his reading
-crystal

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:45 am

Good point, Crystal! Last night I was trying to think of what I would do differently - and I don't think I can come up with a better plan!! (Gee, that's a surprise!) Once again, I think I just need to rest in the MFW plan and stop the worry. I am not a "curriculum" junkie, but I am going to stop looking farther. I was thinking that maybe I needed to do some 1st grade things and some 2nd grade things, but with MFW I have the freedom to keep him in "2nd grade", yet remain at whatever "level" he is at now. Right?
cbollin wrote:Why not just use Adventures and work with him on his own level of reading during "reading time" on the grid. You could even repeat the New Testaments readings from the 1st grade Bible reader for a little while if you want to.
I think I just sometimes need someone to hit me over the head and say, just do it! Thanks!

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

schelean

reading/phonics for 2nd grade

Unread post by schelean » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:44 pm

pjssully wrote:My twins are 7 1/2 and are reading well but i am wondering what to use for them for continued phonics/reading. does anyone have any suggestions?
pam
We did Adventures this past school year. I also had a 7 year old 2nd grader. We used SbSS and found it to be a pretty good phonics review/reinforcement. Also, there are a lot of books listed in Book Basket that were great for readers. We are now getting ready to begin ECC in August and her reading level is well above "grade level".
Schelean in Texas
MFW user since 2006
Exp-1850 w/dd 11& K w/ds 6

niki

2nd grader in need of phonics review

Unread post by niki » Wed May 12, 2010 3:07 pm

Ariasarias wrote:Just wondering what you have done if you found your 2nd grader in desparate need of a phonics review.
Is SbSS enough review or did you go through another phonics program or redo 1st?

My now first grader is reading okay. She still needs lots of help on some days, which I know is perfectly normal, but I am very nervous about adding spelling for her and wondering what I can do to help solidify the phonics for her. I am so proud of where she is and where she started, just wondering what to do to help her next year. I want it more on the easy side so she feels more confident, but I don't want her to feel like I'm put her back in first grade either.
I'm very interested in your responses.
Thanks,
Nicole :)
This is where I have been this year. It's actually this year my 2nd grader was reading her 1st grade Bible reader fluently! YAY!!! So keep going with that.

Also I have used Explode the Code and Phonics Pathways to strengthen her reading. I use R&S spelling with my other 2 children. I used phonics pathways as dd's spelling list, the words we practiced that day...

These things have certainly helped us this year of 2nd grade, she's made great progress. Another BIG thing I did was give her copywork daily from something that is at her reading level (which has been our 1st grade Bible reader), that in itself has reinforced what she already learned and has made her so much stronger and confident. I always make her read to me from what she copied...amazing results!

Hope that gets you going in some direction.
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

doubleportion

Re: 2nd grader in need of phonics review

Unread post by doubleportion » Wed May 12, 2010 3:39 pm

All the library books for books basket gave my dd more confidence in ADV. I found at some point in 2nd grade she just took off with her reading. Sometimes it just takes a little while for them to hit their stride. If you are encouraging and consistent it will always improve. Lots of fun reading books and word play, rhyming games etc.

Spelling by Sound and Structure would be a great fit, it is very gentle and the word lists are not too difficult.
My dd was a natural speller so it was actually too easy for her. But I think she is not the norm in that area.

Edie