Read-Alouds - Specific questions

dhudson

Read-Alouds - Specific questions

Unread post by dhudson » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Reading ahead?
Tami in IA wrote:When we read our read aloud book both my children and I would love to continue reading farther than what is planned. In your opinion, would it hurt anything to read ahead and then add in a different book after we have finished the planned book?
Tami
We love read alouds so we often finish early and add in another book from the suggested reading list or just a fun book that we've been wanting to read.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

schelean

Unread post by schelean » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:07 pm

We have been finishing the scheduled read aloud within a few days. We use our read alouds for bedtime reading. There are so many great books listed for book basket that I decided to make sure I chose our bedtime read alouds from that list in order to make sure we didn't miss any of the great books listed. We always have a great chapter book going.

The books I choose are ones that we would not have time for if using them for book basket time alone. I try to make book basket more of the picture books and leave the novel type books for evening read alouds. For example, before a read aloud was even scheduled we read Pedro's Journal during Week 1. Then, after we finished Squanto we went ahead and read Naya Nuki (Week 4 Book Basket). We loved that book. We finished The Courage of Sarah Noble rather quickly and have went on to read The Sign of the Beaver. That is another great thing about MFW. We have enough time between read alouds to enjoy other great time period books they have listed. We even started reading this summer. I was needing a good evening read aloud so just went ahead and looked over the book list an found one I thought we would enjoy. I chose The Cabin Faced West - and we did really enjoy that one.

So, all of that to say...
Go ahead read as quickly as you and your children desire. There are plenty of great books to fill in with until the next scheduled read aloud.
Schelean in Texas
MFW user since 2006
Exp-1850 w/dd 11& K w/ds 6

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:12 pm

I am just agreeing with "littleredmom". We loved Squanto and The Courage of Sarah Noble and finished them quickly. We are scheduled to read Sarah Noble through next week, but I am going to the library today to pick up Sign of the Beaver which is a selection from the book list with an asterisk. We've been reading these chapter books at bedtime, too, which has been working well.

Happy reading!
Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

TriciaMR

Farmer Boy "Keeping House" Chapter, need advice

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:54 pm

doubleportion wrote:I am reading ahead in Farmer Boy. I read the Keeping House chapter tonight where the children are left alone at home. I am a little troubled by how they did all these things that they knew were not allowed and there are no consequences. I am especially troubled by the fact that the children covered up what Almanzo did in the parlor (even if it was an accident).

How did any of you address this chapter? Any helpful comments or questions to bring up in discussion with my dd when we read this chapter together?
Edie
At the end of the chapter, the mom notices the sugar is almost gone. But, I think she was so relieved that they didn't burn the house down, KWIM?

I asked questions as we read... "Should they have done that?" "What kind of punishment should they have gotten?" "Was it right for them to cover up the accident?" "What things should they have done instead?"

Think of the fear those children had of their parents (at least, that's what I have felt when reading that book, that his dad was kind of harsh). They were afraid Almonzo would have gotten a beating (and not just a spanking) if they had found out about the wallpaper. Also, the older sister now has something to hold over Almonzo's head.

I also think we should remember times were WAY different back then. Children were to be seen and not heard. I think that extreme kind of made children more likely to take advantage of situations like that.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

KimberlyND

Unread post by KimberlyND » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:26 am

If you are concerned about the chapter you could always just skip it and go on to the next. We aren't that far yet. But I don't think it would leave much out of the story if you didn't read it to the children.
Kimberly in ND
MFW user since 2007, gone through K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp. to 1850, & 1850 to Modern Times
Using ECC 2014-2015 with an 8th grade son and 4th grade daughter
Have been HS for 19 years and graduated 3 dc.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:29 am

Edie,

You can skip it. But I agree with the things that Trish has noticed about the book.

They didn't "get away" with it as the mom noticed the sugar was gone. (well ok, technically there was some left just like she had told them) I am confident that their parents did not go out and replace the sugar and they thought about it all the time when there was food without it. I'm sure the mom was a lot like me and wondering what else went wrong or who got hurt or who yelled at whom.

I don't think your children will learn that is was acceptable if you use it as a teaching moment and talk with your children. You might consider the idea of starting with some questions before reading the chapter or saying "we're going to read a chapter where the kids think they are getting away with stuff. Let's see where they make some mistakes. " Use it as a teaching moment to talk with your kids. I think of it as insulating our kids instead of isolating them from a chapter. But you know your children and get to make whatever decision you want -- either read it with instruction or skip it.

I think it might be easier to teach your children from a chapter like this when it is far removed from a specific incident in your house.

I liked how they had to work together in spite of having fought with each other. They probably learned a lot from the whole thing. Keep in mind when you read this chapter the parents were gone a really long time and this was not in a day or age with cell phones, 'net, webcams. The kids didn't get vacation time either. It was a new experience for all of them. So it's interesting to have very different interpretations to the same chapter.

just one opinion.

-crystal

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:29 am

If I remember correctly, Almanzo felt guilty about that wall paper for a long time. Also, all their lazing made them feel stress and guilt and fear at the end of the week. I just made the point with my kids that the Wilder kids could have avoided all the negative emotions if they would have done what was right at first. They still had consequences, even if they weren't on the outside, God makes sure that we have the Holy Spirit to convict our spirit when we do bad things.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Michele in WA

Unread post by Michele in WA » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:20 pm

Edie,
The books, yes, you can read ahead and skip what you don't want to read without it hurting the rest of the story. I did that a few times, but my dc do not read the series now on their own. We might still use them just as read alouds, for history's sake, not the stories themselves. Just to let you know I understand what you are getting at!
Michele

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:22 am

Thank you all for the great input!!!

I think I will read it with dd but preface it with questions and follow by more questions such as the ones you all suggested. I think over all the book is a great living history lesson and we have seen some good fruit from it. She didn't complain about her chores after seeing everything Almanzo had to do in one day. She has enjoyed listening to it.

We did read Little House in the Big Woods during our weeks when you add your own read aloud book. We especially enjoyed reading about sugar snow during the weeks when we were learning about Vermont.
We enjoyed that one very much.

Thanks,
Edie

Erna

Adventures Read A Louds

Unread post by Erna » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:31 pm

Smoakhouse wrote:Which books did your children most enjoy?
Which would you consider replacing if you use Adventures again?
Are there any that are particularly suited to boys/girls?

I have a tender hearted, worry wart boy. From the description, "Sarah Whitcher's Story" concerns me a bit.
My daughter was quite sensitive when we did Adventures but she handled all of the books well. We enjoyed every one of them and she still picks them up today.

Julie in MN

Re: Adventures Read A Louds

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:04 am

Sarah Whitcher's Story is about a lost little girl, but I don't think that's anything that even a very young child hasn't worried about already. And it has a happy ending that is like a miracle. It's supposed to be based on a true story or legend.

You could get it and wait and see, since children do have growth spurts during the year. And if you decide not to read it in 2nd grade, you might want to hang onto it and read it in another year or two, as it's quite precious. We didn't do Adventures, so we read it during EX1850 - it was quite a short little story for my son by then, but we still enjoyed it. The author, Elizabeth Yates, writes very inspiring stories that to me are more about character than about events. She also wrote Mountain Born from the Adventures Deluxe (and one of the books in EX1850).

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

♥nbamaboyz

Unread post by ♥nbamaboyz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:24 pm

My ADV & K'ers favorite was Squanto!
We added the Little House on the Prairie series, they really enjoy LHOTP so it's worked well for us.
My K'er still asks when can we read Squanto again :)

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:48 pm

I had a very tender 6yo girl when we did ADV. She really enjoyed all of the read alouds. We were blessed to have Sarah Whitcher's Story when her cousins were staying with us, and we got to do family read-aloud every night. It was a great book for the girls, 6 and 8, and the boy, 12.

The book that caused *me* more alarm was The Courage of Sarah Noble. The thought of a motherless girl was heartbreaking to me, but my dd handled it very well. It just wasn't my favorite. Squanto was awesome! And Grandmother's Attic was so incredible that we purchased more of the books in the series and have reread them many, many times.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Smoakhouse

Unread post by Smoakhouse » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Thanks everyone. That's good to know. I will probably go with them as planned.
Cheri in TN
Mom to girls 23 & 20 and boy 10
Homeschooling for 18 years and counting!!
MFW ECC (2016-17)
MFW Adventures (2013-14)
MFW 1st (2012-13)
MFW K (2011-12)
MFW Health (fall 2011)
Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/cdsmoak