I Can Do All Things - Supplies for more than one child

Julie in MN

I Can Do All Things - Supplies for more than one child

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:44 pm

Blessedwith3 wrote:I have received I Can Do All Things with our Adventures program. I will have 3 children in this program so I made sure I got 3 sets of marker/paint cards, 3 sets of washable markers, 3 drawing pencils, 3 fine-tipped markers, 3 sets of prismacolor pencils, and 3 sets of blendable paints with brushes. I began reading through the book this week and I am now worried. Am I really going to have to copy almost the entire book? They actually work IN the book so each one needs their own page. It looks like a great program but all the copying looks a little overwhelming right now (time and $$). If I order more books for each child, that's another $42 each. It seems I've already spent so much $$ on art alone. How are you working this program with more than one child?
Someone on these boards pointed out to me that many of the pages in the Stebbing art books can be done on a blank sheet of drawing paper. That makes the number of pages I need to copy much smaller (at least for me, with God & the History of Art). Hope that helps!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:02 pm

I agree with Julie. We did the drawings on blank paper for the most part. And I have found this to hold true in God and the History of Art.

crystal

Kim Schroter

Managing with 2 children

Unread post by Kim Schroter » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:23 pm

Rives wrote:I bought I Can Do All Things and was wondering how those of you who have done it with 2 children have managed --- do you make copies of the lessons for a 2nd child and then have the other do it in the book?? I really don't like that idea as the child with the book will have somewhat of a better quality paper. Of course I know my 5 1/2 year old can't do what my 7 year old can, but am wondering how best to handle this.

Thanks,
Rives
Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:57 pm

Rives,

I am in the same boat with you! I'm doing Adventures with my second grade (7 yo) daughter and MFWK with my 5 yo daughter.

I originally purchased 1 I Can Do All Things art book and intended to make copies for both of them and hold onto the book for the younger ones to come. After going through the book myself, I decided it would be nice to let them do it right in the book. So, I purchased another copy of the book so they each have one. If I decide to use the program with another child down the road, I'll have to purchase one again.

My decision was based on:
1. It would have been a lot of copying!
2. The copies would have been on thinner paper.
3. It would be great to have a nice book of their artwork to keep.
4. I want to foster their love of art and invest in the materials needed.

Kim

jwood

Unread post by jwood » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:25 pm

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:46 am

I have also used HGTA art programs. Personally I copied every page, twice -- that was hard!!!! If I had it to do over, I would have purchased extra books.

As a side note, because I used the book and copied all the pages, my book is in excellent condition. However, I do not think it would be right to sell it.

crosscreekmom

Unread post by crosscreekmom » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:26 pm

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:57 pm

I chose to make copies for my children and then the oldest one works in the book.

However my book has the binding cut where it is easier to copy and we put them all in a 3 ring binder. I also put the copies for the other 2 children in a 3 ring binder. I did not copy out everything at once but do a weeks worth at a time. One of my children may decide at anytime not to do art and I will not make him as I feel this should be optional for him.

I have no other children coming behind these and felt like I should "use up" the book instead of re-selling it.

Neither of my boys have noticed at this point that their sister's is different. I just put the pages in the binders and they do there work. At some point in time if one of them complains then we will take turns with who gets the originals this week.
Anitra

Rives

Unread post by Rives » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:28 pm

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:36 pm

I may end up purchasing another book. The only thing that bothers me is the cost, as well as not being 100% sure of how much my 5 1/2 year old will be able to actually do. I don't want him to feel like I haven't invested in a book for him too though and yet I expect him to sit down with us and give us his effort.

Or what I may do is just make copies for the both of them and then when my 3 year old is of age, she can have the actual book!!!!!

I'm really excited about both programs. They are so good.
Rives

MJP

Unread post by MJP » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:29 pm

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:39 pm

One more option. I copied some pages, but if they could just draw it, they each have their own sketch book. We have lots of kids, so if I can get by with one book, I will.

NHMom

Unread post by NHMom » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:29 pm

Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:02 am

I used I Can Do All Things last year with my children. The older two were 6 & 8, the youngest was. I bought two books for the older two thinking my youngest wouldn't be interested. Boy, was I WRONG. She ended up doing every lesson with them, but worked in a blank sketchbook. She was so excited when I finally bought her her own ICDAT. Her work isn't the greatest, but she has a ball with it. I enjoy having a book for each one. Makes life a little easier :)

Gayle

erin.kate

I Can Do All Things with 2 children?

Unread post by erin.kate » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:35 am

tabrett wrote:It says that you need the extra cards for a second child and you can photo copy pages out of the book.

How much needs to be photo copied? Would it be better to get each child his own book?

Also, has anyone used the DVD lesson that go with the book? If so, did you like them?
I bought one book and I photocopy each lesson for both of my girls using ICDAT. It's a few pages a week of copying for two kids ... not a big deal at all. I chose this route since I have two more coming up the ranks to ICDAT in the future so I wanted to preserve the book. I did buy individual paint/marker cards so they each have a nice set on card stock.

I've never used the DVDs. Best to you!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

robertb10502

Re: I Can Do All Things with 2 children?

Unread post by robertb10502 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:42 am

I also copied it for 2 kids. I have 2 more kids that will use it and wanted to keep the book for them also. I have the DVDs and I like them. I have no talent when it comes to art so the DVDs help my kids and give them a chance to learn something I can not teach them. My kids ask for me to put in the art movies now!!!
-Samantha- wife to Robert - mom to Christian, Riley, Eli and Annie.

2012 - 2013 ECC
2011 - 2012 1st and Adventures
2010 - 2011 K and 1st
2010 - 2009 K

tabrett

Unread post by tabrett » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:25 am

Thanks! Photo copying will be the way to go and I think I will get the DVD.

Mexmarr

Unread post by Mexmarr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:59 pm

I got a 2nd book and am very glad I did. That will allow each of them to have their own keepsake, rather than random papers, that will get thrown away.

I found the DVD's to be helpful.

No, it is not a lot to copy each week, but it does ends up being most of the whole book.
Misty, Wife to a wonderful man! Mother to:
Rosy age 8 - 3rd grade, ECC
Gracie age 7- K and ECC orally (legally blind, Aspergers)
Lizzie age 4 1/2 - waiting to start K!
Andy age 3
Rebekah age 2
Ruthie born March 31st

Completed 1st and Adventures

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:22 pm

We hole punch the photocopied pages and keep them in a 3-ring binder so the pages aren't strewn around or tossed. My girls decorated a cover page and we slid it into the front of the binder. It's also a nice way to keep it all together if buying multiple books is not an option, as it wouldn't have been for us due to $. Just another thought.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

Kelly1730

I CAN DO ALL THINGS Art Book - share or one for each chi

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:36 am

CindyLou wrote:Hello ladies! Y'all are such a wealth of information, so I thought I'd get your opinion! We will be starting MFW Adventures pretty soon, and I was wondering whether or not both of my kids should have their own "I Can Do All Things" art book, or could they share the book? They will each have their own set of the Paint & Marker Cards; just wasn't sure if they should each have a textbook, as well? Thanks in advance....CindyLou
Hi CindyLou,

I try to have my twins share books/curriculum as much as possible but this was one case where it was best for them to each have their own copy.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

4monkeyz

Re: I CAN DO ALL THINGS Art Book - share or one for each chi

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Hey! I was puzzling over the same thing and what I finally decided was to purchase heavier paper -- like an artist pad -- for each of us (my older two and me) and then share the book. Debated on buying another, but $ is kind of tight and my hubby was pretty keen on sharing. :-) Who knows, I might be buying another book come Oct.! Heehee.
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

Mommy22alyns

Re: I CAN DO ALL THINGS Art Book - share or one for each chi

Unread post by Mommy22alyns » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:51 pm

I bought one for each girl.

bethinga

Adventures - what to order siblings? Confused about art

Unread post by bethinga » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:54 pm

HSMom03 wrote:Just wondering about Adventures in US History package and what to order extra for siblings. Mainly, I am wondering about the I Can Do All Things Package.

It sounds like the deluxe pkg includes *I Can Do All Things Package (says it includes one set of paint and marker cards) and *I Can Do All Things Paint & Marker Cards (is this an extra set already included in the deluxe?). How many actually come in the deluxe? So if I want to include my then 3.5 and 5.75yo's in big brother's art, should I just purchase 2 extra I Can Do All Things Packages @ 29.95 each? Then they each have their own book. I know you can photocopy but that is just not appealing to me! Doesn't seem like it would be worth the savings to do all that photocopying, what do you think?

This if for the fall. Crazy winter weather here, hope everyone is staying warm!
I bought the art book (which comes with one set of paint and marker cards) for my son in Adventures, and one extra set of paint and marker cards for my K aged daughter. I had decided to photocopy the art lessons. But, that was not a good idea.

Unlike the art book in first grade, which only required a few photocopies, this art book requires every single page to be copied. I plan to get another book for my daughter, and since it's been a couple of months, we will start the lessons from the beginning together soon.

Hope that helps!
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

HSMom03

Re: Adventures - what to order siblings? Confused about art

Unread post by HSMom03 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:18 pm

Thank you! We will get extra art books then :).