Book Reviews - American Pioneers and Patriots

doubleportion

Book Reviews - American Pioneers and Patriots

Unread post by doubleportion » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:30 pm

rtlmom wrote:We're in week 3 of Adventures. Has anyone skipped the read-alouds of American Pioneers and Patriots? We're doing Story of the U.S. without any problems, and reading lots of books that are subject related. Is there a specific purpose this book serves?
I believe the purpose is to give a taste of what that the time period you are studying was like for a child the same age as your 2nd or 3rd grade. It is fictional but gives many ideas of what life was like (ie your Week 3 readings- hunger, hard work, what they ate, how they cooked, child that age's responsibilities, how they dealt with fire etc). I don't know what else to say on this one. That was one of my dd's most favorites books that year. I liked it a lot too.

Edie

beaglemamma2008

Re: Adventures - American Pioneers and Patriots

Unread post by beaglemamma2008 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:20 pm

I agree with Edie about the purpose of the book. I think it's more enjoyable for them to hear what kids their age were doing as opposed to only what adults were doing.

My kids are enjoying it, so I'm not sure I'll be able to help much, but here are a couple of ideas that might work based on what we're doing at home:

1. Read at the breakfast table or lunch table. You have a captive audience because they're sitting still eating, and they can't complain because their mouths are full. (Plus, you won't go back for seconds because you'll be reading when you're done with your first serving! :-) )

2. I usually break up the reading with a few interjections. "Wow! This little girl was only 8 years old, and she was responsible for taking care of the baby, mending her family's clothes, and cooking supper. What do you think about that?" Or, "Eeewwwww! Can you imagine having to eat bread that had worms in it?" Anything, really, to help them picture themselves in the character's place. I'll especially try to stop when I feel like there's a little bit of suspense. For example, if the book says she heard a noise, I'll say, "Ooooh, what do you think it was?" It helps them to really put themselves there and imagine what the noise could have been, and then they'll stay tuned in because they want to hear if they're right.

Hope these ideas help. I can't speak as to whether it's a big deal to just drop the book because I'm only in Week 4. Maybe a veteran user will chime in on that for you. :)
Last edited by beaglemamma2008 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jennifer, mom to:
Hannah, 8. Finished and loved K, 1st, & Adventures. Currently loving ECC.
Millie, 5. Finished Pre-K and K "lite." Currently playing her way through K "for real."

http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:32 pm

This was one that my dc had to warm up to but after studying the time periods for a while, they started making the connection and began to enjoy the book even more.
beaglemamma2008 wrote:I can't speak as to whether it's a big deal to just drop the book because I'm only in Week 4. Maybe a veteran user will chime in on that for you. :)
You could always drop the book but you might try some of beaglemamma2008's ideas first. I don't think it's absolutely a necessary read but it is a nice addition for the reasons Edie mentioned above. As I stated earlier, I think once kids start making the connection, the book becomes more interesting. Just one opinion. :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:48 am

I was actually a little shocked by this post. It's OK - we're all different. My dd loved Pioneers and Patriots so much that I had to hide it from her to keep her from reading ahead, and she begged to keep it in her bedroom after we were done with ADV. I had to go get the book from her to look through it to answer this. I'm thinking that the first couple of stories are not as good as the rest of the book. By the 4th story, it is very engaging. Please hang in there. Give it a chance for just a bit longer and see if it doesn't draw you in. My very biased opinion.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

rtlmom

Unread post by rtlmom » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:46 am

Thanks for the replies! I think we're going to stick with it (like I said, it's only week 3) and try to trust the process. And, I will definitely try reading at the lunch table! :-)

Postby rtlmom » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:31 am
I've started to think that the problem may be that I'm am following it in the TM exactly as it's scheduled. So after we've read from Story of the US, we go right into AP&P. It may just be the amount of read-aloud at a time. Much easier to deal with if it's just a scheduling issue! :)

Postby rtlmom » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:31 pm
We're still not loving American Pioneers & Patriots. What I've been doing is requesting extra books from the library, looking at what material is covered that day in AP&P, and filling it in that way. So far, it's working fine! :)

mamacastle2

Unread post by mamacastle2 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:20 am

Cyndi (AZ) wrote:I was actually a little shocked by this post.
I felt the same way. P&P was our favorite book all year. Or maybe the Little House books. My kiddos loved these stories. I would try to stick with them a little longer. They are worth it!
Jeanne
Wife to Brody
Mother to DD 10, DS 7, DD 5, DS 3, DD 1
MFW User Since 2007: MFW 1st, Adv., ECC, CTG
2011-2012 - RTR & MFWK

gratitude

ADV American Pioneers & Patriots Book - Thanks

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:21 pm

I just wanted to thank MFW for picking such a wonderful book of how the United States became the United States through stories told through the eyes of children.

The American Pioneers & Patriots Book in ADV is one of those books that result in my children saying, "One more story, please...."

My ds7 then proceeds to tell his favorite parts of each story, or the funny parts, to DH the next time he sees him.

This book is truly a wonderful introduction to American History and US expansion.

Thank you,
Carin

baileymom

Re: ADV American Pioneers & Patriots Book

Unread post by baileymom » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:05 pm

My kids LOVE this too! (Even the 13 yr old...shhh!)
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

Buttercup78

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:22 pm

Same reaction at my house! It really is a neat book.
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

courthart246

Unread post by courthart246 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:48 pm

My kids love this book too. My son begs to hear more of the story. He doesn't like me to stop at the end of the chapter.
Courtney
Married 20 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 16 (World History and Literature)
ds - 13 (Exploration to 1850)
dd - 10 (Exploration to 1850)