Petrified Wood

Bring your cup of tea and enjoy encouragement for your day.
Marie

Petrified Wood

Unread post by Marie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:44 am

Have you ever seen petrified wood? Do you know how petrified wood is made? These strong, beautiful rocks were once a tree.

Imagine a tree has fallen in the woods. It is dead. It will gradually decay unless another process begins – to petrify the wood.

Our particular tree is buried in the mud. This is a good thing! Only trees that are buried in mud can become petrified wood. But being buried is not enough. The key is water—mineral-rich water. As water, carrying dissolved minerals, seeps into the dead wood, it fills the empty cells. As the mineral-rich water continues to fill the dead cells of the wood, the wood becomes solid stone. Water removes what is dead and leaves rich minerals.

The new structure is no longer a dead tree, it has become a stone. It may look similar to the original tree and still share some characteristics, but it really is a new structure, especially on the inside.

This does not happen overnight. It takes many, many years. But for some trees, this change happens more quickly. A tree that is under great pressure from the weight of the ground will change much faster. The speed of this amazing transformation depends on the amount of pressure.

Does this remind you of something?

Because of sin, we are dead. We have no hope -- unless we accept God’s life-giving water. (“Jesus gives my spirit living water to drink.”) If we allow the Lord to bring us this new life, He changes us. He takes away our dead parts and gives us His amazing new life. But this is a process.

The tree is passive and has no will. We, however, must make a choice. We must decide to cooperate with God’s work in us. We must choose to “offer your bodies as living sacrifices…[to] be transformed by the renewing of your mind” (Romans 12:1-2).

I have some good news for you -- The pressures of life that we wish would just go away are actually useful. They can speed up the process of becoming mature and complete! The pressures (trials) of life have purpose. “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything” (James 1:2-4). Yes, we want to be mature and complete. But it takes faith in God’s goodness to be joyful in the process!!

And what is the goal of all this? This is the exciting part!! “As you come to him, the living Stone … you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices” (I Peter 2:4-5). First, God is saving us from death and decay. Second, as we cooperate with the process, God is creating us for a purpose. We can actually be useful!

None of this comes from us – it comes from the life-giving water, the Spirit that flows to us and through us, transforming us.

Lord, continue to give us Your life-giving Spirit. When pressures come, remind us that You are transforming us with great love and care. Give us faith in Your goodness so we persevere with joy.

Love,
Marie

Erna

Re: New Post from Marie

Unread post by Erna » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:16 pm

It was very encouraging. Thank you for sharing it with us today.

mothermayi

Unread post by mothermayi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Simply beautiful! Thank you!!
Returning to MFW for 2015!! :-)
ds13 (8th)--MFW EX1850, EG, WWS, PP Guides, TT 2.0 Pre-Algebra
ds11.5 (7th)--MFW EX1850, AOG, WWS, PP Guides, Singapore 5B-6B
dd7 (2nd)--MFW EX1850, LLFT2, Miquon, AAS1
dd5--MFW K

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:10 pm

Beautiful Marie! Thank you so much for sharing.

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:08 pm

This was so wonderful and refreshing to read. I feel so blessed to have found this curriculum. When I read things like this written by the author, it reinforces my belief that God led me here. With this kind of heart going into the curriculum, my children will be blessed. Thank you Hazell's for your work and encouraging words like these.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6