Lay Down Your Burdens -- Minutes with Marie

Bring your cup of tea and enjoy encouragement for your day.
Marie

Lay Down Your Burdens -- Minutes with Marie

Unread post by Marie »

“Most Christians are like a man who was toiling along the road, bending under a heavy burden, when a wagon overtook him, and the driver kindly offered to help him on his journey. He joyfully accepted the offer but, when seated in the wagon, continued to bend beneath his burden, which he still kept on his shoulders. ‘Why do you not lay down your burden?’ asked the kind-hearted driver.

“ ‘Oh!’ replied the man, ‘I feel that it is almost too much to ask you to carry me, and I could not think of letting you carry my burden, too.’

“And so Christians, who have given themselves into the care and keeping of the Lord Jesus, still continue to bend beneath the weight of their burdens and often go weary and heavy laden throughout the whole length of their journey. When I speak of burdens, I mean everything that troubles us, whether spiritual or temporal.”
  • -- Hannah Whitall Smith
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”
  • -- Matthew 11:28 NIV
----------

A song came to mind, and I listened to it this morning with tears.
Come As You Are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2zhf2mqEMI

Because of His relentlessly pursuing love,

Marie
jer2911mom

Re: Lay Down Your Burdens -- Minutes with Marie

Unread post by jer2911mom »

Hi Marie,

I had to thank you for posting this. I have been praying for some time about our upcoming year, and last week when I was reading Jesus Calling, the devotional covered Matthew 11:28-30:

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

I started praying for God to show me how to take His yoke upon me with homeschooling and how to find that light burden. I have been trying to do two separate programs for my girls for several years now because they are three years apart and they just didn't seem the right ages to be combined. Our days have been long and not what I envisioned for our homeschooling. This coming year I will have a 6th and 3rd grader, and I feel like they are finally at a place where they can benefit from being combined. I had borrowed my friend's 1850-Mod TM the week prior to reading this devotional and felt a lot of peace while studying it. But then I let that peace be stolen by feeling like I needed to finish out what we had already started this year and planned to finish next year. I didn't want to waste those resources. So later that day after praying for God to show me how to take His yoke upon me in our homeschooling, I was talking to my older dd, who said she wanted crafts and cooking this coming year, and that the science we were doing this past year had too many worksheets and had made science less enjoyable for her. I felt discouraged because it seemed like my plans for next year had been thrown out the window. I asked a friend to pray for me to not feel confused, and I prayed again. Later that night, I felt led to study 1850-Mod again and everything just started falling into place and I felt tremendous peace. I remembered the spine I used last year, The Children's Encyclopedia of American History, would be used again in 1850-Mod, so we would not be wasting it. I remembered that I could put all the extra books from last year in our book basket. I remembered that I needed readers and could use the remaining ones from last year. I realized I would not be wasting those books after all. The spirit of confusion lifted and I felt such peace and even excitement about next year. My girls are really excited as well. I love that games and fun activities are built in for moms like me that have trouble making time for those. I have continued to feel this peace all week. I prayed this week for God to confirm this path for us, and when I saw your post I teared up seeing this confirmation. You didn't know when you posted this that it might be confirmation for someone like me, but I truly appreciated seeing it and just wanted to let you know that it blessed me today.

Thank you for being a blessing to others in the work that you do!

Kathy
Marie

Re: Lay Down Your Burdens -- Minutes with Marie

Unread post by Marie »

Thanks for sharing your story. God is such a great Father!
Marie