Children Walking in the Truth

Bring your cup of tea and enjoy encouragement for your day.
Marie

Children Walking in the Truth

Unread post by Marie » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:20 am

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 4

Last night, my oldest son (college age) and I watched the DVD "Amazing Grace" about William Wilberforce. His life story truly is amazing! If you haven't seen it yet, I encourage you to borrow or even purchase the DVD. It is a powerful example of what God can do through a person who is committed to Him (2 Chronicles 16:9). Afterwards, we had a great discussion about my son's life purpose.

This morning, in the same way, I have some thoughts I want to share with you from my heart.

Our children are so precious. We have no greater joy than to know that our children are walking in the truth.

Fight for them! Go before the throne of God, to our Father, and pray that they would be rescued from the control of darkness and be brought into the Kingdom of His beloved Son (Colossians 1:13). Pray that they would walk in the truth -- that your sons would be mighty men against the enemy, like arrows in the hands of a warrior (Psalm 127:4-5) -- that your daughters would be mighty women of noble character (Proverbs 31:10) thoroughly equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:17).

Instill in them a vision of eternal purpose in the Kingdom -- that God can (and wants to) use THEM to change the world. Teach them that one person really can make a difference. Read biographies to them of missionaries and other Christians who followed God's purpose for their life. Cameron Townsend -- one man, through whom God started Wycliffe Bible Translators. Loren Cunningham -- one man, the founder of Youth with a Mission. William Wilberforce -- one man, who helped to end slavery in the vast British Empire.

Model this vision for them, of living for the Kingdom, even in the little things. Our children "catch" the vision from us. Here's one example: A woman at our church was quite sick. I didn't get involved, thinking I was too busy, until I happened to overhear that our pastor had been going to the store and buying her medicine. His example made me realize that even if I didn't have a lot of time, I did have a little bit of time! So I asked the woman if I could get her something....and ended up bringing her some soft, healthy foods from the store. Our youngest daughter (12) was with me while we did this. A few days later, as we were driving in the woman's neighborhood, my daughter asked if we could stop and check if she needed anything, so we stopped a second time. You can just imagine my joy at that! (My pastor's example influenced me, which then influenced my daughter!)

Teach them to fully trust God's character -- and let them observe the same in you.
God is great -- awesome -- all powerful.
God is good -- loving -- merciful.

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth." 3 John 4
Last edited by Marie on Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winkie

Unread post by Winkie » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:02 pm

Thank you so much for sharing that!
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:21 pm

Thanks, Marie, for that testimony & example. Even though your mission field is already huge, God knew that your dd (and your neighbor) needed to see something smaller. "Teaching our children" is much bigger than I realize some days.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Mom2MnS

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:30 pm

Hi Marie :) Thank you for the encouragement and reminder! This verse (I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth)is a beloved one of my Grandmother's. Blessings!
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16

Mercy

Unread post by Mercy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:11 am

Marie,

Thanks for posting this. I love how this is written:
Fight for them! Go before the throne of God, to our Father, and pray that they would be rescued from the control of darkness and be brought into the Kingdom of His beloved Son (Colossians 1:13). Pray that they would walk in the truth -- that your sons would be mighty men against the enemy, like arrows in the hands of a warrior (Psalm 127:4-5) -- that your daughters would mighty women of noble character (Proverbs 31:10) thoroughly equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:17).
I try to include God's word in prayer and stand upon His promises. I will print this out as a reminder of how to pray for my children.

Again, thank you!
~Mercy
Wife to Superman
Mother to 8yob, 3yog & 3mob
started in ECC, switched to ADV
http://ourhomeschoolingadventures.blogspot.com/
http://ourhomeschoolingfun.blogspot.com/
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom." H.W. Beecher

donnagio

Unread post by donnagio » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:43 pm

Thank you Marie, You remind me of why I love My Father's World.... Donna
Donna
Steve's wife
Our children-
F(da 1984)graduated ps,in grad school
M (son 86)graduated ps,working
L(da 1989)graduated homeschool,engaged
and J( son 1996)currently homeschooling
Teaching and Learning CtG- 2nd year with MFW

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:52 pm

Dear Marie,

Thank you for the reminder to continue to "press on toward the goal for which Christ Jesus took hold of me"(Phil.4:12b).

Thank you for the encouragement to pray harder for our kids and to never underestimate the power of our own example to our children.

I wanted to just 2nd Marie's movie suggestion. I loved this movie! It is such a needed message in our world today. I pray God would continue to help my husband and I to guide our children in His purpose for their lives while at the same time they see Him " work in me to will and to act according to His good purpose."(Phil.2:13).

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Erna

Re: Children Walking in the Truth

Unread post by Erna » Sat May 16, 2009 10:30 am

I really appreciated the practical ideas of helping others out and the integral admonition to pray for our children. Is there any way to subscribe to these posts or to receive them via e-mail?