My Plant

Bring your cup of tea and enjoy encouragement for your day.
Marie

My Plant

Unread post by Marie » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:31 am

When I woke up this morning, something caught my eye on our porch. I discovered that my favorite plant (New Guinea Impatiens) was horribly wilted and near death. The leaves had changed and were completely limp and curled. The stems, no longer rigid, hung down. I felt terrible – and guilty. It was my fault. I had forgotten to water it.

I felt particularly bad because this had already happened once before this summer. Then, the plant had looked completely dead. Instead of growing upwards, all of the stems drooped down, clinging to the sides of the pot. But I found that by giving it water, it sprang back to life and even bloomed. After that, I had been careful to give it water often. Once a week was not enough. It needed a lot of water - often. I thought I was doing so well.

But then it happened. I became complacent. The plant LOOKED okay, and so daily waterings became more sporadic. I skipped days here and there, thinking it wouldn’t really matter. The plant “seemed” to be surviving just fine. But I guess I skipped too many days this past week, and the proof is the wilted plant.

Immediately I thought of one of the Bible truths from kindergarten. (Yes, I need to learn these things as well as the children!) Jesus gives my spirit living water to drink.

Without that living water – time listening to Him as I read His Word and soak up His truths and His presence – my spirit will wilt. I may seem okay for a while and the outside may look fine, but I can’t live without regular, consistent water – Living Water.

Father, may we come to you like a thirsty child, knowing You will give us more than we can even imagine.

P.S. I gave my plant water, and within a few hours, the leaves sprung forth crisp and green. The plant was full of life again!
Marie

hollybygolly

Re: My Plant

Unread post by hollybygolly » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:06 pm

Beautiful post, Marie! What a great reminder!! ~Holly
Have a blessed day loving our Savior-Holly
Mommy to: Annie and Lynne (11), Maely (8), Gracie (6) and one precious one waiting in Heaven
Completed: MFW K; 1st Grade; Adventures; ECC
Currently using~MFW 1st grade (again!); Rome to Reformation

Marcee

Unread post by Marcee » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:05 pm

What a fabulous reminder! Thanks Marie:)
“A sense of curiosity is nature’s original school of education.” ~Smiley Blanton

Marcee married to Chris (12 years)
DD Keelin (10)
DS Raice (8)

jjn3beans

Unread post by jjn3beans » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:13 am

Wow. He had me read this now for a reason. Thank you Marie.
Julie
DD7, DD6, DD3

ndakotarose11

Unread post by ndakotarose11 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:25 am

Thanks Marie. I really needed to hear this today.