Updates - EX1850

MFW-Julie/Archiver

Updates - EX1850

Unread post by MFW-Julie/Archiver » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:23 pm

Summary of the most recent changes:
2016:
a. World of Animals (AIG) 4th edition was issued. Sample: https://assets.answersingenesis.org/doc ... tudent.pdf
b. Guide to God's Animals replaced the World of Animals (MFW), which went out of print.
c. Writing A State Report was updated and now includes more information about online research.
2017:
a. Lesson numbers were added in the corners of the English boxes for Language Lessons For Today -- 1, 2, etc.

Upgrade information summarized from Message Board conversations over the years:

1. Exploring American History: 2nd edition (2009) is a larger format with fewer headings and more pictures. There is added information at the end, up through President Obama.

2. The World of Animals (Answers in Genesis/God's Design series): This is the main text for the semester on Animals.
a. World of Animals, by AIG, 2016, 4th edition was issued. Sample pages for comparison: https://assets.answersingenesis.org/doc ... tudent.pdf
b. World of Animals by AIG, 2008, added colorful pictures and My Father's World received permission to include questions and answers in our Teacher's Manuals, so customers do not need to purchase the AIG Teacher Supplement or to make copies as in the previous version.
c. Animal Kingdom by Master Books

3. Guide to God's Animals:
a. Guide to God's Animals was added in 2016, when the World of Animals went out of print. Neither book was the primary textbook, but instead these are used as a supplement, featuring beautiful photographs and interesting facts about all the animals being studied.
b. The World of Animals (MFW edition) In 2011, the publisher allowed My Father's World, with the assistance of Master Books, to change the overall tone of these books to glorify God for His amazing creation.
c. The World of Animals (Paragon edition).

4. In God We Trust: This went out of print and was republished by My Father's World. The content remained the same, and the correct person can be located by name in the Table of Contents.

5. Writing A State Report: Updated in 2016. Now includes more information about online research.

6. Student Sheets: Originally Exploration to 1850 required a consumable set of 50 state sheets and a set of flag stickers. These transitioned to complete Student Sheets very early on, in order to incorporate pages for World of Animals that the publisher had moved to a separate teacher's book. Expanded Student Sheets now include Notebook Pages, State Sheets up to 1850, science pages, maps, timeline figures, State Flag Stickers, and more. Samples can be viewed here: https://www.mfwbooks.com/downloads/pdfs ... sheets.pdf

Current Student Sheets will work with all previous Teacher's Manuals; depending on how old your Teacher's Manual is, some of the Student Sheets may not be mentioned but can be used or discarded.

7. Teacher's Manual: Second edition in 2010 meant that Student Sheets were taken out of the appendix and sold separately, rather than copies made from the appendix and from other materials. This was fairly soon after the first edition of EX1850 was issued. In 2013, Teacher's Manual covers were changed to reflect the Discover/Investigate/Declare stages. Print dates will give you the best idea of whether the page numbers in your Manual will match the page numbers in various books used in EX1850 which may be changed by publishers at various times. In 2017, lesson numbers were added in the corners of the English boxes for Language Lessons For Today -- 1, 2, etc.

david

EX1850 Student Pages

Unread post by david » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:38 am

Our goal always has been and always will be to serve our customer. So hear is the abbreviated story.

3 publishers surprised us with little warning of new or redone books -- same content but re-organized. That sent us on a search to make things better for our customers and keep prices low in spite of these vendor decisions. Long story short, we were able to get the rights to move some things from Animal Kingdom, now called World of Animals, into our Appendix. Friday that was the plan. This is not an MFW new edition but a slight revision to keep up with the publishers for current customers.

Monday after returning from the convention, we were faced with a difficult decision -- our new manual had become thicker than any others. In an effort to do what is best for our customers, we made an on the fly decision to pull out the Appendix and keep the price the same.

Hopefully this clarifies things. Please have mercy on us. Our first goal is best serve our customer's needs as time, energy, and circumstances allow.

David
Have a Great Day in OUR Father's World,

David Hazell

cbollin

? about 2nd edition of Exploring American History

Unread post by cbollin » Mon May 11, 2009 12:29 pm

Kay wrote:I wondering what kind of changes have been made to the text.

Are the pics inside color now or still black and white?

Is the content the same with only the cover being updated or has there been a total rewrite?

I have the first edition and just noticed the change. I would buy a new one for colored pictures!!! :-)
Kay,
I was calling the MFW office about something else and thought I'd ask them since they had both books.

*2nd edition has 2 sections added for more "in recent times" information. Some of it was expanded from end of first edition and rest was added to include our current President.

*pictures are still black and white, but seem to be higher quality.

*and of course as is the case with any publisher, typos and such were fixed as needed. (All publishers try to do that).

Hope that helps a bit.

-crystal

MFW-Lucy

Exp-1850 AiG The World of Animals

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:50 pm

momofsix wrote:I'm just wondering if this is the new color version w/ separate TE?
I want it to be the new color version ... but just curious.
Thanks ;)
Hello Elissa,

The World of Animals (Answers In Genesis) sold by My Father's World is the newest version and includes colored pictures. The Exploration to 1850 package includes the book. The student sheets that accompany the book are incorporated into the MFW student sheet pack. All lesson plans for this book and the sheets are included in the Exploration to 1850 Teacher's Manual.

If you have more questions, let us know.

Lucy
momofsix wrote:Awesome! Thanks :-)

cbollin

Question from a newbie - Ex.-1850 Science

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:57 pm

Penny† wrote:I am looking over the science beginning in Week 1. I am confused because the lesson plan says to look over "The Animal Kingdom" and I am lost. The lesson plans continue to mention this book but I must be having a brain freeze because there is no book by that name in my package. Both of the science books I have are called "The World of Animals". I thought perhaps it was the AIG's "The World of Animals" but the p.'s don't line up with what the lesson plan is calling for. I am so confused. Can someone help me?

Thank you.
Penny†
The Answers in Genesis, World of Animals, used to be called Animal Kingdom until about 1.5 years ago? got to love it when publishers changed cover photos and titles.
Newer manuals will have book names that match current titles and page numbers will match.
(I'm guessing you may have bought the manual used? )
If you bought a package directly from MFW and things don't line up, be encouraged to call them on Monday and see what's up.

trip down mfw trivia lane here...
Depending on how old of a manual you have, it might get even more confusing as there was a version of The Animal Kingdom published independently prior to AiG buying the rights. But I think only really old timers like me remember that from about 4-5 years ago when i used EX1850 the first time. but if the print date of your manual is from a while back, that's probably what's going on with page numbers and such

I used to moderate an internet group about used curriculum sales and it is a story I heard all too often about that. it always makes me sad when this kind of story happens with a piece here, another piece from another source and it doesn't make it easy on the buyer.

When publishers update books, MFW updates their manuals to reflect those page change things so that the books you buy from them match the stuff in the manual so that it isn't that kind of frustration. One of the nice things about it is that MFW tends to also put chapter titles with page numbers to try to help too. I remember seeing a note like that in the high school lesson plans for it being the reason they do that. And looking at my EX1850 manual, I see that is done in this too.

I don't know if just looking at the section name will help match to the table of contents? I don't know. I'm just trying to brainstorm for helping hints or something. it's 14 weeks or there about to use the book, you don't have to renumber all of the weeks in one setting.

wish I had a quick answer to make it easier on your side to do some of it.
-crystal

Penny†

Re: Update from a newbie - Ex.-1850 Science

Unread post by Penny† » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:10 pm

Update on the dilemna: The God's Design for Life's 2006 "The Animal Kingdom" coordinates perfectly with the 2007 printing of my teacher's manual for Ex.-1850.

The newer edition of God's Design for Life with the new name of "The World of Animals" would not coordinate very well at all with the 2007 teacher's manual; it is a total remake in design and content.

There is limited permission granted in the TM to copy certain workbook type pages from "The Animal Kingdom", however, the new student pages that are purchased separately now from MFW (which I have) include the copy of these pages.

Just thought I would give an update in case someone else is running into the same problem with the older teacher's edition. Thanks for your help!
Penny
Penny†-wife to dh for 29 years, mom to 5 and Nana to 2
Plans for 2012-13:
ds 9th: MFW AHL; ds 6th and dd 2nd: MFW Creation to the Greeks
Previously used: Ex. to 1850 and 1850 to Modern

donutmom

Exploring American History

Unread post by donutmom » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:46 pm

homespun wrote:I have the original teachers manual for Ex-1850 so it uses the first edition of Exploring Am History.

I also have the new teachers manual for 1850-Modern Times. In the front, there is a page that tells you, "If you have the first edition of Exploring American History use the chart below to modify the schedule of assigned pages to match your book." I am going to continue to use the first edition with mine. :)
My manual doesn't include the chart. It has revised date of 2009 and just schedules the 2nd edition pages.

I have both books, though. Bought the 2nd edition to use this coming year with Exp1850. Had the first edition from Adventures.

I like the layout of the 2nd edition so much better. It's easier to read--it has less headings at the beginnings of the paragraphs than the 1st, so it seems more like reading a story. It has more pictures in it--my 8 year old likes looking at the book, even though we haven't begun to use it yet. She doesn't pick up the first edition. Just overall is more appealing.

I was going to just use the first edition, and adjust the pages. But after receiving the 2nd edition and seeing it in person, I'm so glad that I spent the few extra dollars for it.

--Dee
Last edited by donutmom on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julie in MN

In God We Trust ?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:40 pm

NJCheryl wrote:We will be doing exploration - 1850 this year. I just realized I forgot to purchase In God We Trust. I was looking to see if I could find it locally so I didn't have to pay for shipping again, and because we were going to be starting on Monday and this book is used the first day. My question is, I have seen it listed with publication dates of 1997 and 2002, but they both have a different cover than the one listed with MFW. Does anyone know what publication date is included in the current curriculum and if it matter? Also does MFW sell the paperback or hardcover? I don't want to have an issue with page numbers. Thanks!
Cheryl,
I can't find it in writing, but I believe that In God We Trust went out of print and MFW prints it themselves now.

So if you want exact page numbers, you may have to order it directly from MFW. You could call the office and let us know what they say.

When we did EX1850 several years ago, we had a paperback version. I was thinking MFW has a spiral-bound version now? Hopefully someone using it can tell is if it is spiral and if it says it's printed by MFW. Otherwise, I'd talk to the office.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: In God We Trust ?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:29 am

NJCheryl wrote: I don't want to have an issue with page numbers. Thanks!
I don't think page numbers will be a problem. They list the name of the person you are reading about on the lesson plans as well as listing a page. If the book you have doesn't match... use table of contents to find the person... it will only be a tiny difference in numbers of pages if there are differences?

see on the sample on the grid
http://www.mfwbooks.com/downloads/pdfs/ ... exp_TM.pdf

is it different in your manual? does the mfw one not have table of contents?

order from mfw if you can't find it locally. don't worry too much if you miss a chapter or two.

and agreeing with Julie that I've heard it went out of print and the MFW one is printed in house by MFW. and that would explain the cover picture difference. (they obtained rights to the text for reprint or something like that?)

-crystal

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:37 am

I looked at my copy. It is published by MFW. At the front of the book it says, "Published by My Father's World, September 2011". It also has, "Cover art 2009 by My Father's World, Inc." which probably explains the difference in the cover that you are seeing. I looked through it, and agree with Crystal that the page numbers not lining up should not matter. Each chapter is about certain historical people and you could just find the right person for the reading whether the page numbers lined up or not.

HTH,
Amy C.

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:21 pm

Julie in MN wrote:I can't find it in writing, but I believe that In God We Trust went out of print and MFW prints it themselves now.

So if you want exact page numbers, you may have to order it directly from MFW. You could call the office and let us know what they say.

When we did EX1850 several years ago, we had a paperback version. I was thinking MFW has a spiral-bound version now? Hopefully someone using it can tell is if it is spiral and if it says it's printed by MFW. Otherwise, I'd talk to the office.
This is correct. MFW was able to get the publishing rights to this books when it went out of print. The text is the same in both books. MFW publishes In God We Trust with a spiral binding and the art work was changed on the cover. At some point the page numbers will not continue to line up if you have a different cover, but as mentioned you will be able to use the table of contents to locate the pages to read of the person listed in the Teacher's Manual.

Enjoy your year!

Julie in MN

Re: Used Exploration to 1850

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:29 pm

MelissaB wrote:How difficult it will be to use the older version, since Eto1850 has been updated?
Not sure how old your edition is. EX1850 has not changed all that much -- the appendix was pulled out fairly early, after like the first year. You'll need the student sheets in any case, because the state sheets were always extra, etc.

However, other publishers do change things as the years go by. As with any MFW manual, buying it together with the books means that page numbers will all line up. Some that I know have been revised by the publisher since I used EX1850 are both of the animal books and the Exploring American History book. One of the animal books is now an MFW edition, and the MFW website says,
  • *The publisher of The World of Science and The World of Animals allowed us, with the assistance of Master Books, to change the overall tone of these books to glorify God for His amazing creation.
It's possible page numbers wouldn't match. Also, MFW started publishing In God We Trust, but I don't think a lot changed there other than the cover.

Maybe these threads will help:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8241
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8648

HTH,
Julie

MelissaB

Re: Used Exploration to 1850

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:15 am

Julie, thank you so much. That was very helpful.

We would order new student sheets.

Thanks for your help!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 15 & 12
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Differences in 1st and 2nd ed of Ex-to-1850?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:38 am

babybryte wrote:I have the 1st edition of Exploration to 1850. I'm just wondering if there is any differences (besides Exploring American History edition) that would cause me to want the newest edition. Thank you!
Hello,
Here is a thread with different things that came up over the years:

I'd summarize that by saying:
- You're right, EAH changed to a new edition
- In God We Trust went out of print so MFW publishes it themselves now. The main changes are the cover & spiral binding, but I think the page numbers may vary as well, according to Lucy's post at the end of that thread. [above]
- The Animals science text (by Answers in Genesis) changed editions. Ours was not by AIG, it didn't have any color, and ours was called "Animal Kingdom," so those are signs of the old version.
- The Animals reader (by Paragon) changed to a MFW edition. The MFW website says, "The publisher of The World of Science and The World of Animals allowed us, with the assistance of Master Books, to change the overall tone of these books to glorify God for His amazing creation."

HTH,
Julie

babybryte

Re: Differences in 1st and 2nd ed of Ex-to-1850?

Unread post by babybryte » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:51 pm

Thank you so much!!! :-)

Julie in MN

1st edition vs 2nd edition

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri May 09, 2014 10:55 pm

beccad777 wrote:Hi! I am planning to use Exp-1850 next year. I was wondering if there is any difference between the 1st and 2nd edition. If there is a difference, is it significant? Do they both use the same resources? Thank you in advance for your help!
Hello,
I thought I'd posted this link but see I forgot. It shows some of the updates in EX1850 over time:

And this one talks about what "2nd edition" meant:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 648#p57839

Publishers do change things along the way, so it's always easiest to get a whole package that was sold at the same time. For instance, Answers in Genesis took over publishing the science book on Animals since I used it. But I think it's just a few improvements, not a total change.

HTH,
Julie

MFW-Lucy

What's new?

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Fri May 13, 2016 8:03 am

Winkie wrote:How different is the new Writing a State Report book?
Good Morning Winkie!

The student pages in the new Writing a State Report have been refreshed and modernized so the presentation is visually more appealing. The pages numbers changed slightly but I think you could figure that out easily enough to use the new one with an older Teacher's Manual if you decided to go that route. The research information for using the library has been updated from using a card catalog to using the online library system to locate books. The TM still suggest taking your student to the library to show them how to find books using the system in the library. Of course the older edition will still work since the pages are similar.

Hope that helps as you think through the best option for your family!

Blessings,
Lucy
Winkie wrote:Thank you so much!