Timeline and Timeline Book - Questions

Lucy

Timeline and Timeline Book - Questions

Unread post by Lucy » Fri May 04, 2007 5:55 pm

Timeline or Timeline Book, When does MFW use this?

MFW does not use a timeline book in years 1-4, but suggests that you display your timeline on the wall and keep it visible until year 5.

In year 5, they give directions and supply a sketch type book to put the pieces from years 1-5 in. Year 5 has too so many timeline pieces it would be too much for a wall display.

I hope that helps you as you make plans.
Lucy

General timeline details:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1903
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

cbollin

Timeline in 1850-MOD

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:12 am

This year in 1850-MOD we use a sketch book to place the pictures in order and have a whole bunch of pictures, so it is very different and we actually have an ok timeline this year. Again, I put the kids in charge of it. I'm thinking that as the year moves along we'll occasionally have to take the book off the shelf and look at it more!

-crystal

Posted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:19 pm

For down the road......An idea to consider for when you start with Creation to the Greeks.

In 1850MOD (year 5 of the 5 year cycle) MFW uses a sketch book for the timeline and gives instructions on how to transfer any of the old timeline pieces (from CTG, RTR, EX1850) into the beginning of that book. So you could consider just having smaller "book styles" like that for each year and then transfer them to the larger book in year 5. On the personal side of it --- we transferred the ADV timeline pieces to our EX1850 pieces, so it all works out. But you could have them separate too :) lots of options.

And later.... in high school, each child will make a new timeline in a book....

cbollin

EXP - 1850 Timeline pictures??? have any to share?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:36 am

OklahomaJamie wrote:We are starting today, and I sure need to see some pictures of your homemade timelines so I'll know what mine is supposed to look like. Does anyone have any to post? or can you show me a link to some pictures?
Thanks!!
Jamie
The good thing is that it can look any way you want it to. In my house.. the first time through 5 year cycle programs my timeline was on concrete walls in the basement with masking tape. just put the next piece up in order. I never gave it a thought about pretty or right. I don't think I have a picture of that. I did once and emailed it.. but picture gray concrete wall with tape. LOL.

the second time through the cycle (currently in 1850MOD)... we did it differently. .. new house... different walls. I had this fancy teacher pocket chart thing. here's a picture... held everything from ctg, rtr, ex1850.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 380#p80380

And.. I was scrolling through other's pictures. I had a chuckle moment to myself. Paige, screen name Turn our Hearts, also did not do it the same way from 1st and ADV, to CTG and forward years. I found that interesting... So, be confident that you are not doing it wrong.

oh yeah... picture of paige's stuff... I like how she put it..... she needed something different.
her pic is pretty,
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 130#p65130

and when you're in 1850MOD..... you'll get a book.

-crystal

Jami

Re: EXP - 1850 Timeline pictures??? have any to share?

Unread post by Jami » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:18 pm

I cut a sheet of poster board in half horizontally and drew a black line across the middle and taped pieces of cut poster board together with clear packing tape. I can fold it up when we move and leave all the pieces on it.
I can't figure out how to include my picture, but I have it in this blog post. http://www.wehearthomeschooling.blogspo ... t-day.html
It is the fourth picture down.
I added two new pieces of poster board this year, so I didn't start out with it so long.
When my son did first grade last year, I did the same thing, only vertically, so he could have his own time line.
Jami - AF Wife

8th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, Pre-K

2014/15 ECC
2013/14 1850MT & 1st
2012/13 EX1850 & K
2011/12 RTR & 1st
2010/11 CTG & K
2009/10 ECC & 1st
2008/09 ADV & K

Julie in MN

Re: 1850s - Modern Times ... Timeline ?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:14 pm

momonthemove wrote:Would you get each child a timeline for this? I will have a 4th grader and 8th grader next year.
I think it depends on the kids. My daughter would have wanted her own. She's artsy and a perfectionist, and definitely wouldn't be happy with her brothers' results. My sons probably would love to share the work with someone else :)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

MFW Timeline Book

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:05 pm

BCat7305 wrote:I noticed MFW sells a "Creation thru Modern times" timeline book--with the 1850-Modern Times Core. Has anyone bought and used this beginning with CTG? We have used SL's Book of Time for 4 years and it's cluttered--I would love to start a new, clean timeline this year and don't know if I should just buy another SL BOok of Time, buy the MFW timeline book (but I can't figure out why it is sold with the last core? maybe there is a reason) or do a big wall timeline like MFW seems to suggest.

What input do you all have about timelines?

Thanks,
Betsy
Hi Betsy,

We're now on 1850MOD... In CTG, we started our Timeline on the wall. Then, in 1850MOD, we got the timeline book, and it has all the pieces that we put up on the wall from CTG - EXP1850 pre-printed in it. Now we are adding the pieces from the Story of the World activity book. We would need a really big wall to add all those pieces from 1850MOD to our wall!

I suppose you could get the book and have the kids color the timeline pieces as you get to them in the history lessons. Just depends if you have a wall or back of a door or someplace where you could put one up on the wall. We have left our wall timeline up, and now have our book to use. It's nice to occasionally refer to it without having to open up the book.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Re: MFW Timeline Book

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:27 pm

TriciaMR wrote:I suppose you could get the book and have the kids color the timeline pieces as you get to them in the history lessons.
Agreeing that the timeline pieces from the earlier years are already preprinted in there, so if you used the books in earlier years, you'd have to either just color them in, or maybe glue them on top?

I think there might be a couple of reasons that Marie chose to use a wall timeline for 3 years and then went to a book method. First, I think for younger kids, the visual of a wall timeline often means more to kids than a notebook style timeline might to a parent. Second, the timeline is introduced gradually, without an overload of placing every detail on there in most years. Then, in the last year there are like 150 timeline pieces from the SOTW Activity Book, so that gets to be a bit much for a notebook!

In high school (AHL and WHL), MFW uses the Homeschool in the Woods timelines which are the same figures you might be familiar with from Sonlight, except they are larger sets and multiple sets.

HTH,
Julie

BCat7305

Re: MFW Timeline Book

Unread post by BCat7305 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:43 pm

That makes perfect sense, thanks for explaining it to me! I didn't realize the earlier time periods were printed into the MFW timeline book for 1850-modern.

I guess we're just used to already having a book--we did the wall timeline with Adventures 4 years ago, then have been doing our book of time for 3 years--

I'll either buy a new Book of Time from SL or I'm looking at a "clothesline timeline". We have wall space, but not in a place I want to put something permanent.

Thanks for your help!
Julie in MN wrote:Lots of timeline methods and even some photos on this thread in the Archives:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1903
Helpful! thanks---
DS1--11/2002--MFW CtG; Saxon Alg 1; CLE Read7; CLE LA6; Science in the Beginning
DS2--6/2004--MFW CtG; CLE Mth5; CLE Read5; CLE LA5; Science in the Beginning
DS3--11/2008--SL Core P 4/5; R&S K; CLE Reading 100; CLE Math 100

Julie in MN

Exp1850- Timeline Figures?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:44 pm

mom2h wrote:I can't find the timeline figures for Cabot, Ponce de Leon, Desoto or Balboa. Should they be in my pack of Student Sheets? If so, I think I am missing that sheet.

Also, the TM suggests the children use the timeline figures on their Explorer Summaries. Should I just copy them and use for both?

Thanks,
Rhonda
Rhonda,
Things may have changed since I bought my manual (it has the student pages in the back), but during week one, the only timeline figures are Leif Ericsson and Columbus.

Cabot is read about and notebooked on day 4, and the other fellows are listed for optional reading and optional notebooking on day 5. None of those has timeline figures or needs to be on the timeline, at least in my manual.

In my manual, the notes for day 1 explain the notebooking page. There is a sample notebooking page on "Early Explorers of America," and there is one page in my appendix for adding all of these explorers to the page on "Early Explorers."

Does that help? Is there something different listed in your more recent manual?
Julie

MFW-Lucy

Re: Exp1850- Timeline Figures?

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:24 am

Hi Rhonda,

The manual you have I think should read the same as what Julie has shared. The notes say that there is a student sheet for "Early Explorers of America" that the student will use to write each of the short summaries for the explorers reviewed during the first week. (These explorers were already read about during the end of last year, so this is a quick review.) It suggest that if a student prefers to write the summaries onto lined paper, the top of the student sheet can be cut out and glued to this page, so maybe that is where you are thinking it is referring to timeline pieces.

Please let us know if you need any assistance and call the office at 573-202-2000 if you think you are missing something from our student sheet.

Blessings,
Lucy

mom2h

Re: Exp1850- Timeline Figures?

Unread post by mom2h » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks, ladies! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Rhonda

Julie in MN

1850 to Modern Timline?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:49 pm

lee2 wrote:This has probably been asked before but are all of the timeline figures from SOTW used? Do we put only the ones that go with each reading assignment for that day? I'm trying to figure placement and how much space we will need if we don't add them in all at once. Help me, I can't seem to wrap my mind around how this works :~ Thanks!
Hello,
It's been a while for me so I hope someone with a fresher memory chimes in, but as I recall we used "most" of the SOTW-4 timeline figures but not all.

And it will say on your weekly grid when timelining is done (whenever SOW Activity Book is mentioned in the sample here, click on Teacher's Manual and go to the first grid, page 9: http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/13/185 ... s/#Samples ).

Did that help at all?
Julie

TriciaMR

Re: 1850 to Modern Timline?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:37 pm

I'd say you use 95% of them. Seems like we had just a few that we didn't use.

We used the timeline book that year. There were a couple of pages where we were barely able to squeeze them all in. I think we did something like across the top for Asia, across the middle for the Americas, and then across the bottom Africa and Australia, with an occasional America one moving up or down because we didn't have room.
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

lee2

Unread post by lee2 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:44 am

Thank you for the replies! I've been looking through the TM and the STOW activity book to get an idea of how it works.

I think where my confusion is where the reading schedule jumps chapters. For example on CH 2 Japan Re-Opens is scheduled later, but do I go ahead and put the timeline on now or wait until it is scheduled? Do I omit the timeline figures for the chapters that are not scheduled? I know I must be making this harder that it is. &)

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:12 pm

We're doing 1850MOD right now. I just copied and cut out all of the timeline pieces ahead of time. I keep them in an envelope on my desk.

When we read a particular lesson, I just go through the pieces and choose the ones for that lesson or chapter and my girls take turns gluing them in the book. If the reading jumps ahead or back, you just search for the correct ones.

The chapter number is on each piece, so they're pretty easy to find. Just keep the pieces for chapters or lessons that are skipped because you may come back to them later. You can throw away any unused pieces at the end of the school year.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

lee2

Unread post by lee2 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:05 pm

Got it, thank you! Thank you again everyone for your help!

Christy - Staff

Timeline Book for 1850-Modern?

Unread post by Christy - Staff » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:43 am

cherryfruit wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:14 pm
I've been studying the package for 1850-MOD and noticed the timeline. I'm not sure why this is introduced this year. Is this something that each child is supposed to have?

We bought a different spiral-bound timeline years ago due to lack of wall space. Could we just keep doing the one we've already begun?

Just trying to understand the educational purpose behind it to know what to purchase.
We created a timeline book for 1850 to Modern Times as a way to review the history you studied in the past years. The timeline figures from the previous three years are already printed in the book to provide a visual review of history studied so far, with year markers in the top corners of the pages.

Our timeline book is designed with the right number of pages (and enough space) to allow room for over 150 timeline figures from The Story of the World Activity Book Vol. 4 that you will be adding this year.

Your whole family can share the book; you only need one book per family.
Christy Callahan - MFW Customer Service Team Lead
Wife to Mike (homeschooling dad)
Mom to 5 blessings and foster mom to many

TriciaMR

Re: Timeline Book for 1850-Modern?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:02 am

You could keep doing the one you're doing, probably. But like Christy said, everything from CTG to EXP1850 is already printed in it, so you wouldn't lose previous years.

There are lots and lots of timeline figures for 1850MOD.
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Poohbee

Re: Timeline Book for 1850-Modern?

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:21 am

I was just going to mention that, as Tricia said, there are A LOT of timeline pieces for 1850MOD. So, even though I was able to put the timeline pieces for the 3 previous years on the wall, it would have been challenging to do that for 1850MOD just because there are so many pieces. It was my understanding that the number of timeline pieces was one of the reasons a timeline book was introduced. The timeline pieces that you use from the Story of the World activity book are pretty good sized for timeline pieces, and the MFW Timeline book works perfectly with those pieces.

We just kept one book for the whole family. My 2 daughters took turns putting the timeline pieces into the book.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy