* 1850-MOD - Favorites

Lucy

* 1850-MOD - Favorites

Unread post by Lucy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:31 pm

We are finishing up week 10 of year 5-- 1850-Modern Times.

We are enjoying it very much. It is quite a bit more history since the age of information has dawned and so much is happening in this time period.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

cbollin

Which MFW Program Do You Like Best?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:31 pm

microcarter wrote:For those of you who have used several different MFW studies, I would love to hear which you & your children enjoyed the most & why. I am mostly wondering about the 5 year cycle - ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex to 1850, 1850 to Mod.

We have used ECC & CTG so far & will use RTR this fall. Even though I have liked both programs, I think that I enjoyed ECC the most even though I wish I had been a little better prepared. Really looking forward to RTR in the fall!
let's see.... I've done pre k twice, K twice, 1st twice, ADV (just parts of it as summer fun) ECC twice, CTG, twice, RTR (once already and again next year), EX1850, 1850MOD.....
clearly I like them all.... they all have their own flavor, and favorite parts. wow... for me it's hard. it's like saying "ok.. which kid do you like best"

but for discussion....
pick a favorite....
hmm....

year 5, 1850MOD.

why? (not a poem - jumbled thoughts)

it was the end of the cycle and we felt accomplished...and time to look back and go wow!

it was full - very full and packed.
it was fun
science and academic fairs -- got it done and had a blast.

go to Russia - says the oldest
go to China - says the youngest
heard Tales of Persia -- and we loved it.
prayed with our THUMB's

thought of victory yet to come
Missions and Worship -- wow... never saw that connection...

youtubing for hymns in year 5 --- always seemed to find them sung in other languages. we cried as each connection was made...... from every tribe and every nation, will join.... in the song of the lamb....

history brought us to a time
when grandparents remembered the stories for us and told us what they remembered the day famous things happened.
generations talked in our homeschool about history.

oldest wrote some good reports from outlines.

middle enjoyed some fun facts too

little one was working hard to overcome language problems in autism.

year 5, 1850MOD during academic year 2007-2008
yep, that was my favorite MFW year, so far

need more details on that year?
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5509

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSH in MS

Re: Which MFW Program Do You Like Best?

Unread post by LSH in MS » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:04 pm

I like 1850MT the best beacause modern history is the most interesting to me. We also read some extra read alouds from the book basket list that I enjoyed. The dc have been very interested in the topics this year and have read a lot on their own. They also commented that they liked the books selected for Bible this year. I also enjoyed using the SOTW activity guide. I really liked having the comprehension questions, outline work, and writing from outline assignments.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

sewardmom

1850MOD writing from the outline

Unread post by sewardmom » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Just wanted to post how much I am appreciating the Story of the World (SOTW) writing from the outline assignments. I am finding this to be a great writing activity and am noticing writing improvement through the assignments.

Hope this is an encouragment to anyone who has been wondering about when/how to have their students outline well and write from an outline.

~Terri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....

Julie in MN

Re: 1850MOD writing from the outline

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:16 am

I agree, Terri. I love that MFW includes so many things I wanted to get done... but doesn't do 8 years of those things, either :)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

1850-Modern: Bible Study & SOTW Actvty Bk

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:13 pm

hmschlmama wrote:Looking for thoughts/experiences with the Bible study included in the 1850-Mod curriculum pkt. Also, did anyone not use the Activity book for SOTW, or can you tell me how many/what kind of activities are included in the lesson plans? I'll be using this curriculum w/ my 13 & 14yo boys. Thanks so much!
I wrote a gushing, 2-part review back when everything was fresh in my mind.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 509#p51709
There are other good posts in that thread.

My son was in 2nd semester 7th & 1st semester 8th when we did 1850MOD, and he enjoyed the Bible study very much. The Patricia St. John and the Persian missionary book in particular were the types of books that can be read at many levels. The first was organized around basic Christian tenets such as the Creed, and how those play out in real life. The second was lessons that went beyond events. Of course, if you have super-academic kids who want more, you can always add. We sometimes had an extra book of the Bible that we were working through when time permitted.

Oh, and the hymn study that year was lovely.

As for the activity book, first of all, it is far different than the activity book for SOTW-1. It includes:
1. Narration questions and answers for every chapter.
2. Outlining practice the first half of the year (outlining only a section of the reading), and practice writing from an outline the second half of the year.
3. An extensive set of timeline figures.
4. Quite a bit of mapping.
5. And the optional activities - my son very much enjoyed these and they were often a break from some of the heavier modern history, but they are always optional. Your teacher's manual will list the options for each lesson.

Marie Hazell tends to use all resources fully, or at least schedule all portions of a resource as an option for the person who wants to do it all.

HTH,
Julie
hmschlmama wrote:Thanks so much for the extensive replies/posts [linked]. It was just what I was looking for! : ) Michelle
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Biblical application to real life!

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon May 06, 2013 4:58 pm

So, we're in 1850-MOD and today we read the last story in "A Young Person's Guide to Knowing God." And the last story is a retelling of the parable of the master going on a long trip and returning at an unexpected time...

So, I'm on my way out the door to run to the grocery store, and I hear my oldest say to her brothers, "Now Mom going to the store is like the story we heard this morning. So, we need to be doing our best so that when she gets home she finds us doing good things." (Not sure if the boys bought it, but when I got home, there was peace and quiet in the house. LOL!)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

MelissaB

How is everyone's school year going???

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:33 pm

We're doing 1850-Modern this year, and it's going wonderfully. We were a little apprehensive about the states & capitals songs due to previous posts, but the songs are actually very fun and engaging.

I still think we learn more history in one week than I learned in a year. Who learned about Franklin Pierce in school? (*he's a President. don't be embarrassed; I didn't remember him either.) His decisions during the slavery crisis and his traumatic personal life are fascinating.

Can't wait to get to the Civil War next week.

Hope you all are having a great year, too! :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Poohbee

Re: How is everyone's school year going???

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:46 pm

We are in Week 4 of 1850MOD and Day 3 of the S unit in K. We've been gradually adding subjects and finding our groove, and I think we will do a full week this week, with all subjects added.

My girls really enjoyed the states study the first two weeks. My 8th grader knew all 50 states to begin with, so it was just review for her. My 4th grader knew only 8 states on her pretest and learned all 50 by the end of the 2 weeks. She was so glad, and I am so proud of her! I was a bit nervous about how the outlining would go when we started the SOW activity book in week 3, especially for my 4th grader, but that is going well. I had thought it looked like so much work to do all of those Story of the World activities, but it really flows smoothly. We listen to Jim Weiss read Story of the World to us on audio, do the review questions, do the outline, do the map work, and then do the timeline. It's been interesting!

My girls love doing the president pages. They love learning new facts about each president, especially odd or quirky facts. We just studied Franklin Pierce today, too, Melissa, and like you, I love learning about these things all over again with my kids! I don't remember learning about each president individually, as my girls are, and it is very interesting learning about them! Who knew that decisions Millard Fillmore and Franklin Pierce made in their presidencies helped to escalate the conflicts leading to the Civil War?!?

It's fun to read about how others are doing and how the school year is going for everyone!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Joyhomeschool

Re: How is everyone's school year going???

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:38 am

We are on week 9 of MOD and and 11 of 1st grade. Im giving my 1st grader a break from 1st. Note to Mama's considering starting K early, there will be a wall eventually. LOL. I should have waited or slowed K down.

In Mod we are doing great. Taking a pretty even clip through it all.

I wish I had more time for science. All the experiment I've done have NOT turned out well at all. But we've had fun trying. Im pleased that we are doing science at all! In the 6 years with MFW science has been hit and miss with so many little ones running around. But this year we are doing ALL the reading and as many experiments as we can each week. Whoot!

Art has been better too. Other years we would skip art alot. This year we are doing all the reading and at least one project a week. Im hoping to dive even more into art as the younger set get older. Each year just gets better and better.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

asheslawson

Share About Your April

Unread post by asheslawson » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:03 pm

MFW-Marie wrote:Let’s encourage each other and have some fun! You might share about things God is teaching you through your homeschool – How did He help you through a hard time, or give you new insights about your family?
Take the time to slow down... "Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy." 1 Peter 9:10 That verse really moved me to reflect on some amazing blessings, that I had taken for granted.

I am beginning to feel the pressure of finishing this school year and purchasing curriculum for next school year. My oldest that is still home begins high school next year and I have a nervousness about doing it all right. However - I took some time to clean out a few neglected areas, to read sweet notes they wrote me when they were little, to look at how far we have come. My discovery is that God has been so good and everywhere I turn is evidence of His great love and how richly I am blessed.

My life is quickly transitioning from a mom with small children to older children who are closer to leaving home than ever. I have four adult children. I never realized in all those tough years of parenting young children how truly fast this day would arrive, and now that I'm only 8 years from graduating my last & 4 from graduating my next to last - I just wish I could slow it down. Spend time in the Word - He will speak to you. Spend time with the children - if they are little it seems exhausting, but it won't be long when some will be grown and the last few at home are getting closer everyday!

This week, in 1850-Modern Times, we read the story, "Blessed to be a Blessing". This was about the boy who willingly shared his food with others when Jesus fed the 5,000. We are learning 1 Peter 2:9-11 for our memory verses. We really reflected on all they amazing ways we are blessed. My daughter and son prepared a package of letters to send to a friend, who has recently moved to Guatemala to serve as missionaries in an orphanage. We really prayed about some issues in current events. I am truly praying for my children to be compassionate to those who do not have around us and teaching them that, even if it is a small thing, we can always find a way to bless another person - near us or far. I am thankful for the sweet time we have spent together in MFW for the past 5 years, and I am excited about the future.

Blessings!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

MelissaB

Re: Share About Your April

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:46 pm

We're in 1850-Modern Times also. We've just started the "Witnesses to All the World" Bible study at the end of 1850-Mod. Wow... it's helping our children ~*and me*~ see more greatly why the LORD blesses us, the importance of praise!, and what our role is in the world. We've learned so much.

We're finally to a place in "history" class where my husband and I were actually alive. Amazing what we don't remember, though... :~

God bless you all! :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

MelissaB

Yay!

Unread post by MelissaB » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:05 pm

MFW-Marie wrote:It's almost summer! Let’s encourage each other and have some fun!
Marie
We've just completed the 5-year cycle. Compared to what i learned in school… Wow, i really don't think i learned 1% of what our girls have learned in just 5 years.

For those of you in the five-year cycle (Exploring Countries & Cultures all the way through 1850-Modern Times), you know how incredible the in-depth history, cultures, and geography studies have been. AND we've enjoyed the process! There were no tears, no rigidity - and they learned so very much!

I know I've posted this before, but thank you, again, MFW for an incredible curriculum!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13

Poohbee

Share About Your School Year (or your summer)

Unread post by Poohbee » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:02 am

We finished 1850 to Modern Times this year, and so we have completed the 5-year cycle one time and have completed every year K through 1850 MOD. How I loved the year of geography and cultures followed by the 4-year chronological history cycle! My kids and I loved learning about the events which occurred at various places around the world at the same time. It's eye-opening and amazing to see God's hand moving throughout history, and how history affects us today. Some of the things happening in our world today remind me of things that have happened in the past.

It was wonderful learning about the 44 Presidents of the US these past two years. How neat to learn about each president individually and realize how the events of the times affected the presidency and how some of the men were wonderful men of God, and some weren't. It's been a wonderful journey! I'm excited to begin again with ECC after we take a "gap year" to let my middle daughter explore some of her own interests, as we did with my eldest daughter.

One of my favorite things from this school year was the family Bible times in the evenings. We followed a recommendation by David and Marie in the TM to have Dad lead the Bible time in the evening the night before we were scheduled to study it. It's the first time we've done that, and that family Bible time was such a time of blessing. It's become a new routine and a new normal for us, and I'm so excited to see what God will do in our family as we come together to worship and learn about Him!

My son, who is autistic, completed half of God's Creation from A to Z (the K program). (We only completed half because we don't have school for him on the days he has therapies). I loved seeing him learn and internalize the character lessons and Words to Remember about Jesus. He did great with the K program, and it was just the right amount of work for him. After the summer break, we'll continue where we left off in K, and then we'll start Learning God's Story (1st grade) when we finish K.

We are so blessed by MFW! It's been a great school year and a wonderful journey through the 5-year family learning cycle. Can't wait to start all over again! Thanks so much, Marie, David, and everyone who helps to make the MFW curriculum what it is and for helping families, mine especially, to "see the world through God's eyes."
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy