2nd/3rd Supplement - EX1850, Can you tell me more?

cbollin

2nd/3rd Supplement - EX1850, Can you tell me more?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:07 pm

2nd/3rd Supplement - How does it work?
SandKsmama wrote:I'll be doing Ex1850 with my 12 year old 6th grader next year - I just have some questions about how the 2nd/3rd grade supplement works for my 7 year old 2nd grader.

Will he do the whole curriculum as written *plus* the supplement? Or do I skip the more advanced history reading with him and just do the supplement reading? I haven't seen this year in person (or haven't looked at it in detail anyway), and I'm having trouble "getting it" in my mind how exactly it will work. He *is* doing RTR right now with my dd, and doing fine. He does have trouble sitting and listening to the history at times, but is doing GREAT with the science.
Thanks!
Amanda
The supplement is to replace the more advance history readings and world history information. Mostly just an age appropriate read aloud books so that they don't have to listen to too much in the history or sit too long.

The younger kids can listen in a bit to SOTW, Exploring American History and look at The Last 500 years but don't expect as much writing in the history notebooks. And youngest kids don't have to listen to Building a City on a Hill, that's an advanced book. My 2nd grader didn't listen in too much when we read from the G. Foster book either. She'd just go do book basket or play with younger sister.

I found it easier to let my child not really be required to listen to all of it especially on the weeks that were world history focus. During those weeks, we'd let her look at more book basket picture books about the country being studied and not really worry too much if she didn't listen to SOTW.

The supplemental readings are to help keep a focus on light overview of US history. Some weeks in the supplement reading grid will be a light load or might not have any additional readings.

-crystal (remember... spring forward is tonight)

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:53 am

I just received this and will begin in August. I will do the 2nd-3rd grade supplement with my younger ones and have them participate in the science. They will not be required to do the older version of history,but they like SOTW so they will probably listen to that and do short narrations.

I will expect them to listen to the James study and memorize as much as they can.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

cbollin

Ex-1850 with 2nd grader

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:31 pm

Michele in WA wrote:Are the 2nd and 3rd graders expected to do the regular history or just the supplement books? I know this varies with each child's abilities. My 2nd grader just can't keep up with my olders, but I don't want her to not listen in, either. Should I be expecting her to be able to narrate from SOTW? What do some of you do, or have the younger ones do, while teaching the olders history? Do you have them do the same notebook pages, too?
Michele
When I did EX1850, my middle child, (then 2nd grader) didn't have to stay and listen to SOTW, or Geo. Wash. World, and of course not Building a City on Hill. She either read from book basket, or played a bit in the same room usually drawing something or maybe playing with modeling clay.

For history, she focused mostly on the supplement read alouds, most/some Exploring American History, and book basket, In God We Trust, and the State Sheets (and eventually later in the year President's cards). narrate SOTW? nah. not my child. I figured she was getting a lot of fun with the activities and other books and enjoying her own set of bed time read alouds from the supplment reading list.

She did some notebooking -- using the sheets that were the ones with top half blank and drew stuff or wrote a sentence or two. But we didn't do them everyday with her.

and I just remembered this.... I remember spreading out the American Pioneers and Patriots readings in the week. I thought it was bunched too quickly for my child and so I spread it out in the week to let her have more time to narrate those chapters.

Just what I did b/c SOTW and GWW were way over my 2nd kids' head. I figure she picked up something from just hearing her sister and mom talk about it.

-crystal

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi!

We are doing Exp to 1850 with a 10 yr old and twin 7 yr olds this year and I find that the younger children understand more than I give them credit for. I do have them verbally narrate back to me what they heard and then together we may write a summary. Several of the books they listen to while coloring and this works well. I also make sure the book basket is filled with books that are at or under their reading level that are on the topic of the week. I also work at finding videos that are on the same topic so that they have another way of filling in the blanks that they may miss while coloring.

Overall, I have been really impressed at how well my little ones have done.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Michele in WA

Unread post by Michele in WA » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:33 pm

Thank you Dawn and Crystal for "allowing" me to do what works best for my dd. I know I really need to scale it down for her, and do some of what Crystal mentioned. Dawn, thanks for the reminder that they do pick up more than we think, and for the video idea. We do try to find the ones at the library that are in the book list.

Guess I just needed that reassurance that she's okay doing a little less, while still listening in on the books and picking up what she does.

Blessings,
Michele

SandKsmama

1st graders doing exploration to 1850

Unread post by SandKsmama » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:55 am

pjssully wrote:I just ordered exploration to 1850 for my 7th grader and 4th grader. Exciting!!

I have 6.5 twins who are reading probably low 2nd grade level. I was wondering if anyone has ever had their children this young follow with the older kids in exploration to 1850. Or should i consider doing the ADV with them. I would really like to not purchase a complete package for them. Both of these boys LOVE learning about states and countries and spend lots of time looking at maps. Any thoughts?
pam
I'm doing Ex1850 this year with a 12 year old and a 7 year old who is reading probably on the same level as your twins. It's working *very* well. He LOVES the science - and the 2nd/3rd grade supplement books are perfect for him. I just have him do math/English at his own level, and then he joins in with his older sister on everything else.
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:24 am

Pam

You'll just need the 2nd/3rd grade supplement to use with them. The lesson plans for that supplement are in EX1850. It's the same history stuff and activities (mostly so in any case) and book basket books that come from the ADV program. No need to buy ADV and EX1850 to use at the same time. The younger supplement for EX1850 covers what you need.

The younger set most likely will like the science in EX1850. Bible memory in EX1850 has a full plan (memorize whole book of James) or a smaller plan (selected verses). So, that's a quick way to include the younger set. Both plans are in the one manual.

-crystal

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:02 am

I am doing this. My 1st grader is not ready for MFW 1st yet. When he begins that he will probably do a little less of Ex1850. But right now he is participating in the science, bible and history (the supplement). He is also doing Phonics pathways, ETC and MUS Alpha. When he completes ETC 3 (he's on 2 now) I will begin MFW 1st with him.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:47 pm

I have 7 yr old twins who already went through MFW1 and are now doing Exp to 1850 with their 10 yr brother. They are doing very well. I did the "happy" dance the other day as they each recited the entire first chapter of James to me without much help. I have them draw illustrations of history as I am reading it and keep their narration short but they are retaining the information and seem to be enjoying it. We are even doing all of the optional and advanced activities and they are hanging in there.

I have had us do several science field trips to keep it interesting as well as all of the hand-on projects (the owl pellets, frog, ants, - we'll wait for the butterflies til Spring). I did make the "The World of Animals" more of a book basket item as it was a little much. We have gotten several videos to help with science as well.

All in all, it has been a success (we are in week 11) and I am very pleased with how they are all doing.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

my3sons

Which books are considered "Advanced"?

Unread post by my3sons » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:37 pm

RachelT wrote:We have used MFW for 5 years, sequentially, as you can see in my signature. I do not normally break out of logical, sequential plans very easily, but this year I have some reasons to consider skipping RtR and studying Exp. to 1850, then going back to RtR next year. We have the opportunity to be part of a group that will be studying American history. This coming school year my children will be in 3rd and 5th grades.

What I can't quite figure out is how to handle the history books for the 2nd/3rd grade supplement vs. the regular books for Exp. to 1850? Do you read all of the history that is regularly scheduled to the older child, PLUS the 2nd/3rd grade books to the younger child or do you choose between them? My 5th grader cannot read independently quite yet so he still needs me to read most everything aloud, but my 3rd grader reads above her grade level. They both love to hear me read aloud to them, but I can't imagine having to add more things to read aloud to them, like two different read alouds for history! We already did Adventures 3 years ago and I have all of the books, so I realize that my 3rd grader can read some of the easier books to herself, which would be helpful. :)

To go along with this topic, my other question is which books are listed as having the "Advanced" assignments for Exp to 1850? I looked through the Exp-1850 TM at our state convention last month and I think that I remember more details listed in it that are not on the sample pages on the website about which books to read with which approximate grade levels. Doesn't it say that one of the books, maybe City on a Hill, is really for 6th -8th grades and not necessary for those who are younger?
Nooooo.... You can't skip RTR! lol We were several weeks behind you last year in CTG and I so enjoyed checking out your blog to see how someone else did things. I was looking forward to that again this year, so you can't skip RTR! :)

Seriously, I have not btdt so do not know the answers you seek, but just had to add my selfish .02 heehee GL with whatever you decide to do and I hope you have a great year!
Mom to all boys, ages 15, 13, 11, 5 and 1

2014-2015 - ECC
Previously completed K - 1850 to Modern Times

Julie in MN

Re: Which books are considered "Advanced"?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:58 am

RachelT wrote:Here are my main two questions from the lengthier post above:

1. How do you handle the history books for the 2nd/3rd grade supplement vs. the regular books for Exp. to 1850? (I will have a 3rd and a 5th grader next year.) Do you read all of the history that is regularly scheduled to the older child, PLUS the 2nd/3rd grade books to the younger child or do you choose between them?

2. Which books are listed as having the "Advanced" assignments for Exp to 1850?
Hi Rachel,
Kinda quiet around here over the holiday, eh?

As for #2, Building a City on a Hill is for 6-8th graders, and even then to be read by the parent. It summarizes the development of each colony, and shows how unique each one was. There are even extra activities for this book with advanced 7-8th graders, which are briefly mentioned in the beginning of the EX1850 manual. For kids up to 5th grade, the EX1850 manual says they may enjoy the pictures, and their parents should read the info for their own knowledge.

I'm not sure anything else is specifically called "advanced" the way it is in 1850MOD. Everything will be done with age level in mind, such as the history notebook and listening to George Washington's World while coloring the pictures.

2nd-3rd graders basically have "their own" history, but my EX1850 manual says, "Also include these students as much as possible when you read from The Story of the World, Exploring American History, and The Last 500 Years." So to me, that is a hint that those three books are especially *not* in the "advanced" category.

Does that help?
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

RachelT

Re: Which books are considered "Advanced"?

Unread post by RachelT » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:08 am

Thanks Julie!
As for #2, Building a City on a Hill
Yes, that is what I was looking for so thanks for explaining more about Building A City On A Hill. I knew I had seen something about it in the TM, but conventions can be overwhelming and I couldn't remember exactly what it said! While looking at this year of curriculum, it helps me to see that we may not have to read every single book in the package with a 3rd grade reader and a 5th grade non-independent reader. I tend to be a "list-checker" and it's hard for me not to follow the full grid in the TM, but I am needing to simplify our reading so that I am not getting overwhelmed each day with the work that we need to accomplish. I want the history studies to be fun and varied. We like hands-on activities, but we still need to spend a large amount of time on basic academics and after we have done most of our Bible, reading, spelling, writing, math, and English, I don't want our history lessons or read alouds to take forever, nor do I want to read two different history assignments.
my EX1850 manual says, "Also include these students as much as possible when you read from The Story of the World, Exploring American History, and The Last 500 Years." So to me, that is a hint that those three books are especially *not* in the "advanced" category.
That statement does sound like those three books are not to be missed. I use MFW so that I can combine most of our school work for both children and not have to do two different reading assignements for the same subject. One thing I appreciate about MFW is that we are not just reading about history from one book, but using a combination of books to give multiple perspectives on the same era of history, so we can gain a well-rounded view. I have been tempted to just go to SOTW alone to simplify our schoolwork, but I think that I would miss how MFW walks me through history with multiple books and gives me a Biblical worldview of how God has worked through history.
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

TriciaMR

2nd and 3rd grade supplements

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:49 pm

RB wrote:in Expl-1850...does this [the supplement] replace the regular history and science or is it in addition? I have all the books from Adventures and haven't decided what to do with my youngest next year, who will kind of be 3rd/4th. Maybe when I get the manual for Expl1850 it will explain this, too.
It doesn't replace the science - they have done all the Animal Kingdom and Botany. I did get a lapbook to do with the Botany, as when they repeat EXP1850, they'll be doing 7th grade science.

My 2nd graders have sat in on all the History readings in EXP1850 thus far. Then, we also do what is scheduled in the 2nd/3rd grade supplement. Since my oldest didn't get to do Adventures, she loves listening to those readings. Though, some weeks that seems like a LOT of reading.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

TriciaMR

EXp to 1850 with a 2nd grader

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:41 pm

my3sons wrote:I have the students sheets and we did Adventures with my olders, so I am familiar with the books used for a 2nd/3rd grade tagalong, but I would love to hear personal stories of how your 2nd/3rd grader did with this year. Did you do the supplement history books with all your students or just the 2nd/3rd? How long did it add to your teaching time (whether you read it to all or just some). Any other experience you care to share? :)
I did EXP1850 with twin 2nd graders and my oldest last year (6th grade)...

They sat in on everything that big sister did, I wrote notebooking pages for them - they dictated(until Trent wanted to do it himself), and they did the President sheets and State sheets. When there was 2nd/3rd grade history assigned, we did it, too. I usually only amounted to about 10 minutes or so. The 2nd/3rd grade read aloud was often done at lunch.

(It's this next year I'm more worried about, as there is much more history that is just for the 4th-8th grade, and more for the 2nd/3rd grade.)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Re: EXp to 1850 with a 2nd grader

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:35 pm

back 5 or so years ago.. I wrote something in this thread when it was fresh in my brain and not romanticized years laters.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2363
cbollin wrote:One of the little things that I’ve liked this year is how well book basket is helping with the 2nd grader. While my oldest is learning more detailed information in history, my 7 y.o can browse picture books and “lighter” material. On some weeks when there is a lot of world history going on for the oldest, my 2nd grader can just have an age appropriate lesson in world cultures (similar to what my oldest did during her ECC year).

We’re enjoying the hands on activities. Oldest child likes to set all of that up for me and help her sister.

The first 4 weeks in EX1850 were an adjustment time for me to learn how to get 2 sets of read alouds in during the school day. There are the EX1850 read alouds and then the 2nd/3rd grade supplement. But that was easily solved by letting Dad read one of them in the evening. But not every week has a full set of read alouds in the 2nd grade supplement --- so it also self resolved.

Somewhere else I described the first four weeks of EX1850 by comparing it to jumping into a swimming pool instead of walking down the stairs. Don’t worry --- the water is fine. The pace is faster for the older children. Don't let it scare you off.

If anyone struggles a lot in those first 4 weeks with that --- consider moving some of the “supplement” materials to week 5. Also, it helped with us to “get done” with all materials for the 2nd grader and then finish with older material. That way the 2nd grader could be done and just hang out with us without the expectation that she have to listen.
-crystal

Missy OH

Student Sheets for 2nd Graders?

Unread post by Missy OH » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:16 am

baileymom wrote:When ordering EX-1850, would you include a set of Student Sheets for your 2nd/3rd Graders? ... or have them create their very own Notebook more on their level? (my will-be 3rd Grader struggles to be at his own grade level, I'm just a bit worried seeing his two older brothers' work might not be in his best interest)

Thanks!
yes, I would get the sheets. There are state and president sheets. The notebook pages are open ended. His notebook will be his own at his own level. :) I sometimes skip a few map assignments for my 3rd grader. We are doing RTR this year but I've done EX-1850 with a second grader before (about 5-6 years ago).

manyblessings

Re: Student Sheets for 2nd Graders?

Unread post by manyblessings » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:32 am

And remember he will have his own special books in the grade 2/3 supplement that will be all his :)
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

manyblessings

2nd grader and Exp-1850 and a 2 year old

Unread post by manyblessings » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:10 pm

klewfor3 wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:04 pm
How have you incorporated younger siblings in your school days? This year I have a 2nd grade dd who joins in with us differently than the TM suggested. I am wondering if we are doing enough...

Here's what her day has looked like:
BIBLE: She has not memorized the book of James with us...just a few of the key verses which we do 1 on 1. Also, I do the Bible study portion 1 on 1 with her but we don't do Bible every day.
HISTORY: As for the daily reading, I have only read the history assigned specifically for 2-3rd grades. Right now we are on the state pages and she joins us for that. I have done the notebooking pages with her and I have basically summarized the info her older siblings and I covered in the assigned reading. I also help her decide what she wants to write.
SCIENCE: Amazingly, she is fully along for the ride. Listens to the text (really well) and virtually does the same amount of notebooking as her 6th brother.
SPELLING, LA, AND MATH we do as recommended by MFW.

How do you all handle your 2nd grader and some of the longer subjects? I know this is late in the game (we're in wk 27) but I am wondering how it has worked with other families.

UPDATE ON JAMES: we just finished memorizing the 4th chapter....one more to go! Yay!
I re read and saw you do the 2nd grade history. It sounds like your 2nd grader is doing plenty.
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

DS4home

Re: 2nd grader and Exp-1850 and a 2 year old

Unread post by DS4home » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:20 pm

I guess the question I would ask is, what is your 2nd grader doing while you read history to the other kids? Is there a reason she is not sitting and listening along as the TM suggests? It feels like you are doing history twice and making your day longer. Do you think she would be able to join in with the older ones more at this point of the year?
klewfor3 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:50 pm
Thanks for the comments and advice!

My 2nd grader is playing and entertaining herself while we read history (that's also when my toddler naps). The history books are over her head - at least the George Washington's world. Admittedly, my older kids can have a tough time staying focused on that one. I guess STOW is not above her comprehension level (she's a smart cookie ;) ) it just goes longer than her attention span!

Also, it was a struggle earlier in the year to keep everyone on focused and on task when we did history all together. So after a tough week of school at the beginning of our school year, I decided to read only the 2nd grade assigned reading to my dd and it stuck. I was able to keep her involved with her text and I was able to keep things moving for my older kids with their history. Funnily enough, it seemed like my dd was getting a double dose of history - the part we all did together - and then her assigned 2nd grade history!

As far as adding more to my day...I can see how it might seem that way, but it really doesn't. I read my 2nd grader's history a couple times a week (as scheduled) and I would have to do that anyways. The notebook pages she does while everyone is doing them so the assistance I give her is just what she needs because she is younger. ;)
Yes, George Washington's World is a harder one for sure. We are in Exp-1850 this year as well, and in the exact same week as you! lol

It looks like the 2nd grade supplement only has one reading a week from here on out, then nothing at all at the end of the year! I might start ramping up expectations a tad to help prepare for 3rd grade. Maybe have her listen to SOW on the notebooking days only and don't do her supplement those days. That way she is starting to do her notebook based on the actual reading.

When I brought a 2nd grader on board with the family learning I pretty much included them in everything. I usually had them coloring something when I read. So it didn't matter if some of it went over their head, they listened anyway as they quietly colored. They gleaned what they could and also learned as the older ones answered questions I gave about the reading. Then I helped a lot with the notebook page, as you are doing ;)

I'm just rambling on now. Take this with a grain of salt, you know your family and what is working for you.

Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

klewfor3

Re: 2nd grader and Exp-1850 and a 2 year old

Unread post by klewfor3 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:37 am

Thanks Dawn,

How fun that we're at the same pace! And a "woo-hoo!" to the coming end of our school year! Wasn't this a fun year? This is my first time through the whole cycle and every year I think is my favorite....until I reach the next year :-) I love the history portion in the cycle so much. :~ I might go back to CTG (gulp) when we cycle around. Just thinking outloud.

When I changed our school day I just thought back to when I did Adv with my oldest who was in 2nd grade at the time when I was deciding about my youngest. I remember that his day was fairly quick with short history readings. I am pretty sure that is how I came to feel ok about the pace that I am working with my dd right now. Sometimes the history reading for the olders is longer (as you know ;) ). It is truly just a slight modification....everything else we are doing as we are supposed to.

Thanks for your thoughts! I appreciate it.
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)