Transition - ECC straight to Exploration to 1850?

Julie in MN

Transition - ECC straight to Exploration to 1850?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:29 pm

sahmintx wrote:We are finishing up ECC with my 4th and 5th grader. I was considering switching to another program so we could get a could foundation in American History. However, I really love MFW. Would it not make sense to go straight to Exploration to 1850? My girls are craving American History and I would hate for them to be bored in CTG. Any suggestions or advice?
MFW often recommends that families go to whatever period in history they need, after ECC. So really there isn't a problem with going from ECC to EX1850.

The things that come to mind as to what to think through might include:

Do your girls have a solid foundation in how God created the world, and why the world fell away from Him? Do they understand why history is so disappointing?

Are you okay with them doing "the beginning of history" in 7th and 8th grades, and then starting over with the beginning in 9th? Sometimes that works out well, giving them a good preview before it "counts" in high school, and it gives you room to back off of intensive history during the 7-8th grade years and focus on rolling out more difficult math and science etc. with great success. But other families really want to think this thru.

Are your girls pretty average or higher, so that stepping up the workload will be fine for them in 5th and 6th grades? Actually, the biggest jump to me is 1850MOD, in terms of things like amount of history covered, maturity of history covered, and the more extensive writing assignments (using the outlining in SOTW Activity Book). Average kids should do fine with this transition at their ages, but a few kids will need a little more time.

Hopefully someone who's made this transition will chime in!
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs