Supplies - EX1850

cbollin

Supplies - EX1850

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:31 am

"One per child" in EX1850?
Nancy wrote:I'm doing this with 3 dc next year (one in grade 2). I'm just wondering what's really necessary, and if it's possible to share. What are the state sheets/cards used for? I'm thinking the president flash cards can be shared??...or is there a special activity for these that would require them each to have their own?
Nancy
The State sheets [now the "Student Sheets"]: you will need one per student for each student who is doing a notebook. I guess in theory it could be a group project. But at the same time, I like to let my kids have their own --- it can be more personalized that way.

The Presidents Cards: They are used for part of the notebooking. If you have to make just one family notebook, maybe you could share those. But, the president cards are used in both year 4 and year 5, and are part of notebooking for each child, and are apparently glued or otherwise attached to notebook or something like that (I need another week to actually get there in the curric)

The Kay Arthur book, Boy Have I Got Problems: I thought we could get away with just one copy and use a journal. Didn't work for me, but it might work in other families. I found it very helpful for the 5th grader to have her copy of the book to work more independently. I had originally thought "hmmmm. I'll help the 2nd grader with the book and then hand it over to 5th grader" . My 2nd grader wanted her own copy and it worked better to have a copy for her and work WITH her in that book. If you have ever done a Beth Moore study, you know that it is better to have your own copy of the book. Same thing applies. But if you had to save $10 it might be an option to work from this book together. I don't think it is worth the hassle.

Map of the United States/World—placemat size (recommend one per child): MFW RECOMMENDS one but it is just recommended. We're doing fine with one per family. So you can save a bit there.

Maybe that can help you decide how it fits in your budget.
--crystal

Follow-up - Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:22 am
For the flashcards --

The Presidents Flashcards are used in 2 years of MFW. So that helps a bit on the cost --- used for 2 years.

I was glad to just have one pack per student so each gal could do her own notebooking. I had a 6th grader and a 3rd grader. Oldest had to write more and middle got to copy/write less.

We ended up getting a third pack of them as a family project so that we could play some of the hands on activities that were suggested in the package of flashcards --- even though MFW didn't say to do them.

-crystal

4Truth

Re: "One per child" in EX1850?

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:58 pm

Nancy, I'd like to share a little tip that I've found through trial and error... A couple of things. 1) I've found that if I don't buy ALL the items in the complete package direct from the publisher/provider, 9 times out of 10 I end up buying it later anyway. Or regretting not having it. ;o)

And 2) many items in the MFW curriculum are used for more than one year, and most families are using it with more than one child. Thus, if you take the cost of an item and divide it by the # of years used, and then divide again by the # of children you're using it with, you'll see that your cost per child is really pretty minimal *per year*. :o)

Anyway, hope that makes you feel a bit better. To me, it just isn't worth it trying to trim what looks like fat. Fat is where the natural flavor is. LOL.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Shelly Best

Re: "One per child" in EX1850?

Unread post by Shelly Best » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:34 pm

Nancy,

If I may try to help you with your full question....

You do need all the [student] sheets for each child. As well as the presidents cards.

The laminated place mat/US map will be used each year of American History for recognition activities. Same with the presidents cards.

As mentioned in a previous note, if you break down the cost per child per year, you certainly invest in the worth of the items you will use in educating your children.

Each child will make their own notebook, but you can certainly use the sheets for group teaching, you will be eliminating the individual hands-on use for the teaching/learning of the curriculum as each child will not have their own page...

We generally will have a group notebook for all of us to do together, then my older children have their own notebook they do. This saves on cost and keeps the family co-op in motion.
Blessings,
Shelly of CA
wife to Mike;
mother of Hannah(13), Michael(12), Thomas(9)
MFW since 2000

cbollin

Boy Have I Got Problems

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:07 am

Michele in WA wrote:Do you mind telling me how the devotion book is set up? I haven't used one of Kay Arthurs books before. Is it along the lines of read a portion of the Bible, then fill in the blanks to questions in the book? Is there more "discussion" in the book?

My ds would probably like to fill in his own book. I don't mind spending the money if its necessary. Also, did your 2nd grader at the time write in the book or did you just use it one on one for discussion? Sorry for all the questions. Having multiple ages that will be doing ex-1850, I just want to make sure we get what we need, and yet not what we don't.
Michele

[see the end of the story, below, Jan. 2009]
Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:27 pm
Most of this book was “couch time” with my 2nd grader and me. There are some pages with her handwriting, some with mine, and plenty that show that we just discussed it together without always writing in the book.

The way the Bible time in EX1850 is set up – you’ll spend a week or so in the Boy! Have I Got Problems book studying parts of the passage. Then you work on memory work from James. Then back to the Boy! book.

So, you could give it a trial run on that first chapter of the Book and then order extra copies later?? The book does describe itself as a workbook --- but for a 2nd grader, it’s going to be couch time with parent. Although my 2nd grader liked the puzzles in the book.

The set up of the book:
To cover the book of James, there are 7 units in the Kay Arthur Book. Each unit has 5 days worth of material. You’ll read a selected part of the James chapter that you are studying. Some time it’s fill in the blank with a question such as read James 1:2-4. then you’re given a question to answer from that. There are other times to look up other passages from other part of scripture and do some Q &A with it. Some lessons have you mark key words from scripture --- but using the text from the appendix of the workbook instead of your Bible. Some times you have questions to reflect and think a bit that relate to what you read – but aren’t fill in the blank.

I don't want to say that it can't be used as a group discussion --- but I found having 2 copies worked better. But, if you try it with just one book, you'd have a little bit of lead time after that first week if needed to get extra copies.
-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Boy Have I Got Problems

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:09 am

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:39 pm
We each got a copy in our family -- mom, dad, and son.

However, the book is only used occasionally. If there are 7 chapters, then it must be every 5 weeks that you spend a week on it. The Book of the Bible, itself, is definitely the emphasis in EX1850.

The fill-in-the-blank questions will probably be too hard for a 2nd grader to do on her own. Well, that's my opinion. The book is recommended for ages 8-12. Depends on the kid, I guess.

The parts where you mark up Bible verses could be done in your own Bible, but you would need the version that they use because you are looking for specific words. (NISB?)

Just a few more details...

Michele in WA

Boy, Have I got problems

Unread post by Michele in WA » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:03 pm

tiffany wrote:I am going over what I need to order for next year and have a couple of questions. The book "Boy Have I Got Problems" is listed as one to purchase additional copies. I will have a 7th, 5th and 3rd grader doing this curriculum. Have you found this book to work well with a 3rd grader? I was afraid he might be too young and didn't want to order an extra we wouldn't use.
I had the same question about Boy, Have I got problems. I ended up getting books for my 2nd, 4th and 6th graders. We sit together and do the book together in the mornings when it is scheduled. 4th and 6th graders write their answers in after we've discussed them, and 2nd grader either writes a word or two, or I write it in for her. I also have a 1st grader who joins in and listens and sometimes he wants to write a word too. Takes a little longer to have the younger ones write, but they seem to understand the book just fine. If you really wanted to save money, you could just get one book and do it together, have them take turns writing the answers or just use it as a spring board for discussion and NOT write in the book at all. I'm sure it is meant to be done as a personal devotion time for the kids, and in that case, my younger two wouldn't be able to do that. So, it depends on how you are planning to use the book and your 2nd grader's abilities.

Michele

cbollin

Boy have we got problems(and how) and supply list

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:22 am

JumpinBeans wrote:I have a question is about supplies. I know lots of people ask for supply lists but it would be helpful if they posted the unusual things ahead of time. I know we need the basics (paper, colors, pencils, scissors, glue), those are pretty standard it's the other things that I'm not sure about. We probably won't start till fall but by then all the back to school sales will be gone and it would be nice to know that I don't have to pay double for supplies then when I could get them now. So if anyone has a list of the more unusual items we might need for ex. to 1850 or even just things you wish you had it would be nice to hear them!
supply list: well, most of anything that would be "unusual" won't be things that you'll find in the back to school aisle. MFW does provide in the manual a weekly supply list of things that aren't "back to school supply items".

Some things that you might want from back to school sale if you don't order the manual soon for that list that is printed in the manual:
index cards and a binder or box for that. It's used for memory work in James. I "got away" using the 3x5 size, by the manual suggests 4x6 to allow for easier writing.
notebooks - 3 ring binder kind. the manual suggests three of the 1 inch three ring binders per student. One is for history, one is for science, one is for all other.
all standard school stuff: pencils, etc.....
some people get page protectors for their notebooking

you will need either toy bowling pins, or gather about 9 plastic soda/water bottles for a game in weeks 6 and 9. same size of bottles. so save up for that

if doing art history, get supplies for that.

1st semester science: wasn't that the one that the EX1850 manual suggest owl pellet for unusual item? Check local teacher supply stores, or home science tools (I linked that in the botany kit)
We used an online owl pellet dissection option. I don't remember anything else "unusual" that would have been on sale this time of year. But it's been 4 years since I've done that. so....

You can get the botany list from apologia's website for that 2nd semester thing
https://apologia.securesites.net/pdfs/l ... ot_lab.pdf
or you can order kits for that. one place is
http://www.hometrainingtools.com/botany ... M-KTBOTAN/

well, I'm sure I'm forgetting something for those early things. But hopefully that can help until you get the manual and can get some of the sale prices on stuff.

-crystal

doubleportion

Complete book of Animals- should I purchase a second boo

Unread post by doubleportion » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:00 pm

momofsix wrote:We have the Complete book of Animals to go along with Exp to 1850. I have a 3rd grader and a 1st (2nd mid year) grader ... would you recommend I purchase a second book so they each have their own book?
I would because there are a lot of pages for them to color or write on. This is not a book I would see as sharing really.

Edie

Kelly1730

Re: Complete book of Animals- should I purchase a second boo

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:09 pm

I used the Complete Book of Animals with my twin sons last year and only purchased one copy. It wasn't a problem for us to only have one book and at the end of the year we had not used all of the pages.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:37 pm

I think it depends on how well they share. I started out only using one book but found they were both wanting the same coloring, activity page, etc. so we are using 2 now just to keep the peace.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

hollybygolly

Unread post by hollybygolly » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:26 am

I agree...I teach twins and my 1st grader tags along when interested...for the small price of the book, it was well worth it to buy 3 copies and have them each do the pages they want (which for the third graders is EVERY SINGLE PAGE!!). They love this book! ~Holly
Have a blessed day loving our Savior-Holly
Mommy to: Annie and Lynne (11), Maely (8), Gracie (6) and one precious one waiting in Heaven
Completed: MFW K; 1st Grade; Adventures; ECC
Currently using~MFW 1st grade (again!); Rome to Reformation

Homeschooling6

Unread post by Homeschooling6 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:58 am

Although my dc can share, I've always liked purchasing one item for each child. It just seems neat for the children to have their own. Whatever is left they can use to 'play' school. I think in one of Mr. Hazell's cd he recommends with regards to Adv. to purchase one set of Student Sheets per child. Even if the youngest will most likely scribble on it. Just my .02 :)
Linda Mom to
Joshua 5/98, Annette 9/99, Caleb 9/00, Brent 10/01, Ethan 1/03, Lance 8/04
Currently using texbooks.

Our Blog http://training6hearts4him.blogspot.com

cbollin

Supply List for Expl to 1850?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:10 pm

dunns05 wrote:I just placed my order yesterday for the Expl to 1850 set (w/ 2nd/3rd grade supplement), hooray! :-) But it's also our first experience with MFW. Since I won't have my TM for over a week, can somebody help me know what supplies I'll need for the year? Meaning, binders, sheet protectors, dividers, etc.? FYI, we are doing our own LA and Science programs, but everything else is the same.

Help? ?? Thank you!
-Melissa in California
Melissa,
welcome along :)
When you get your manual,you'll have a more complete list, but for those sales this week and all of that...

sheet protectors are optional. If you like them, get some.

get standard school supplies like paper, pencils, crayons, glue, all of that standard normal on sale at wallyworld now stuff

in ex1850, get some index cards - 4x6 in a spiral bound is good. Those are for Bible memory work all year.

three 1" 3 ring binders... oh wait.. one of them is for science, so 2 per child should be good.

thinking ahead for week 6, there is a prep note in the intro to have 9 plastic bottles (soda) or if you have play style bowling pins that will work. So ask around from friends to not recycle theirs. You need 9 by week 6.

I think those are the biggie things to know before the manual gets there. After the TM arrives, read the intro and look at supplies for week 1 and all of that for non standard supplies.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Supply List for Expl to 1850?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Most of this thread is about what to order, but I notice a supply list in Crystal's post:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 638#p64055 [above]

I put a couple of ideas if you scroll down this thread for "supplies":
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4855

Hopefully someone with recent memory will chime in!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: Supply List for Expl to 1850?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:44 pm

How funny! If I had known that link was there, I wouldn't haven't grabbed my manual and crate from the last couple of weeks. LOL LOL LOL.

too funny. I still don't remember where our bowling pins are. did they make the move with us from old state? :~
dunns05 wrote:Crystal, thanks for the great info. Can you tell me if I need the bound index cards for each child, or just one for all of us?
-Melissa
I would get enough index cards for each child who will be doing the Bible memory work. It is part of helping them with memory work. Some students might be in the "plan A" of memory and others in plan B. Plan A is memorize the entire book of James. Plan B is selected verses. Also, they get some handwriting time with their own set.
this time, I got spiral version in school and office supply. I only have one child doing EX1850 right now.

Last time I did EX1850, I did it a little differently. There was the "master set" of cards that I wrote on. Those were in a 2 hole punched vinyl binder for 3 x 5 index cards. Then, the girls just wrote their verses on regular paper. So we had the master set for me to "quiz"/review for me and them. I had 2 children. one in Plan A, one in plan B.

So it can be done either way.
-crystal

TriciaMR

Ex-1850 - U.S. Pres. Flashcards

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:13 pm

MelissaB wrote:Just curious... Why do we need a separate set of U.S. Pres. flashcards for each student? :)
You make a "President Page" for each president - the student copies a few facts off the back, and then tapes the card to the top half of the President Page. How much is copied depends on the age and ability of the student. (We are taping our cards so you can flip them and read more.)
MelissaB wrote:Thanks, Trish. That's certainly worth purchasing the second set. :)
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

TriciaMR

Ex-1850 - U.S. Pres. Flashcards

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:04 pm

momonthemove wrote:Would it work to have kids print a picture of the president offline and then write multiple facts?

Just thinking ahead as we will do this year more than once.
Deb,

You certainly could find photos on the web and print them off and save the cards. But, I figure for my time and the cost of ink it wasn't worth it. [$2.95]
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog