Bible EX1850 - Family Bible study? How many copies?

Debbie M.

Bible EX1850 - Family Bible study? How many copies?

Unread post by Debbie M. » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:53 am

Julie in MN wrote:We have been so blessed by studying the Bible as a family in CTG and RTR. However, I am wondering if we need extra copies of Boy Have I Got Problems for my husband and/or myself when we are in EX1850 next year. Or, is it unrealistic to do the Bible study as a family in the last 2 years, since they are more personal studies?

Anyone who has done years 4 or 5 have experience doing the Bible study as a family? Thanks!
Hello,
We are doing the James study in Expl to 1850. Some weeks are spent doing the exercises in the book to more fully understand what is being memorized, and some weeks are spent copying the Bible verses onto spiral bound notecards.

I wish I had ordered my own copy of the book so that I could read the questions out loud while each is reading from his book. It would make it easier to discuss out loud. Also, the TM recommends that the teacher memorize the Bible verses too, so if you don't have your own book you have to wait for one of the children to finish so you can borrow their book.

Memorizing the book of James, the way the TM has it organized, has been so inspiring. Because we have gone over what it means, and then try to commit it to memory, it suddenly becomes a part of our everyday actions. I Love this study!
Debbie M.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:04 pm

Just agreeing with Debbie here. I think the year 4 materials can be used as a family. Have I Got Problems book can be used for a basis for group discussion. Some of the activities will be more geared for ages 8-12, but the situations and applications can span many ages and life experiences. So instead of the discussion being about kids' lives, you could expand it to talk with your children how similar situations in your adult work lives and dealing with doctors, etc. are the same kind of thing.

Marie also gives great suggestions to help with the memory verses throughout the day.

A different take on the scripture memory --- we didn't use the translation that was in the Boy have I got problems book. Instead I used a different translation and just had a print out taped on the wall for everyone to use. it hangs on the wall next to the kitchen table. that way we remember to practice it several times per day.

It would be useful to have more than one copy of the book.

--crystal

dhudson

Bible in year 4

Unread post by dhudson » Tue May 19, 2009 8:19 pm

Jenn in NC wrote:Has anyone done the "Boy have I got problems" study as a family instead of individually? How did that work out? I have one ds who has already done this study as part of his Sunday School class, and two more who are not up to the level of individual work required. Thoughts?
We did it as a family and it was great. I would read the Bible and they would answer the questions in their own book and we would discuss it.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Julie in MN

Re: Bible in year 4

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue May 19, 2009 9:54 pm

Hi Jenn,
Bible in year 4 is "mostly" about memorizing James. You read the whole book of James during the year, and either memorize the whole book or portions. The teacher guide has many suggestions during the first weeks about how to accomplish this goal. There is even a suggestion of going out together & talking about the value in doing this as you begin.

Every so often, you spend a week on a chapter in the Problems book. So over the whole year, you are doing this about one week a month.

Like Dawn, we did it as a family, or at least my son & I together. Often I would read the Bible portion & ds would ask me to stop as he filled in blanks. Most of the Bible portion is right in the back of the Problems book, and a few extra verse references are in the EX1850 teacher guide, leaving only an occasional reference to look up in your Bible. Although of course you can use your Bible for the whole thing, especially if you have the matching translation.

I filled out my own Problems book, too. It helped me get a sense of what ds was doing, and it gave him someone to do it alongside. My son isn't a workbook type of kid ;)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed May 20, 2009 5:42 am

The year we did EX1850, I was certain that we'd "get away" with just one copy of the book and use it family style all together. After all, it's only 7 chapters and it's the memory work that's the main thing going on (and the hymns too).

Well, after the first chapter, I ordered a 2nd copy. I found it was really nice to let my older girl fill in her book and then have a few minutes one on one with her. While she was reading and filling in, I was having snuggle on the couch time with middle gal who was in the 2nd grade using the book. And middle gal and I would work in the 2nd copy of the book together. So that way I knew the material and could talk more with older kid. But my middle child wasn't up for the level of the book without some snuggle time from me. So, it worked out.

Depending who has done the book already, it's always ok to repeat a study book. As Julie mentioned it is in the context of memory work that the book is used. And, God's Word is alive. So it might be interesting to see how it works a second time. I know when I did a Beth Moore study at church, there were ladies in the class who did the same study 2-3 years before that. so if adults can repeat a long course like that in a short time span, then I guess kids can too?

-crystal

Jenn in NC

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Wed May 20, 2009 6:16 am

I am getting ready to order for next year and couldn't decide how many books to get. Sounds like the consensus is that even if we do it all together, we will need more than one book. Ok. Probably 3 or 4.

That helps. I think I have a much clearer picture of how it is supposed to work in the context of the whole Bible plan for year 4 now. I didn't realize that the memorization is more stressed than the workbook, but I like that approach.

Yeah, it definitely wouldn't hurt any of us to go through James again. Several times! ;) Seriously though, God's timing is so perfect. I won't bore you all with the details, but I am just amazed at how God works these things out.

Thanks for the peek into your lives and how things have worked for you. I can't tell you what a blessing it is to have you ladies a few years ahead of me in the cycle! :)
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Wed May 20, 2009 9:47 am

Definately get one per child even of you do it all together. Everyone likes having their own.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Julie in MN

Question about Boy Have I Got Problems!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:43 am

keeperofmyhome wrote:Did you have them do this study independently or did you read it along with them and just have them answer the questions? My boys are 13 and 10.
We did ours together. My son was about 6-7th grade. He's a social kid and doesn't like workbooks, but we really like to read the Bible together anyways, so I got my own book and even dad had one, although he didn't get a chance to participate much.

For the first part, when you are turning to the back of the book and circling words etc., my son needed a little help figuring out what we were supposed to do. Then we would each work on our own book at the same time and if some were hard to find, we'd call out answers when we thought we had them, making a game of it. When he got to a puzzle type activity, he'd finish that on his own.

So there's one idea...
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

JenD

Re: Question about Boy Have I Got Problems!

Unread post by JenD » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:07 am

My DS 13 & 9 did their studies alone and we would discuss them during the day. They had already done one of these studies before so they were familiar with them.
HTH! Jennifer

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:33 am

We did it together. They sat across the table from each other and did the markings at the same time. They took turns reading, then raced to see who could get the fun pages done first and solve the riddle or something.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:14 pm

We just completed those last year with ages 12, 10 and 8. We did them together mostly, but it was hard for the 8 year old to keep up with everyone. I shared with him and helped him along. Given your boys ages, I'd try doing the first lesson together to show them the ropes and then give them the option of doing them alone or as a team. My 10 and 12 years olds were totally capable of doing them indendently and actually enjoyed doing so. All 3 of them actually requested that I buy another study for summer. This summer the 12 year old is doing it alone and the 8 & 10 year old are a team. I would just make yourself available for any questions that come up.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

TriciaMR

Question about Boy, Have I Got Problems

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:57 pm

cherryfruit wrote:I am starting to think about purchasing our next package, Expl. to 1850, and I was wondering how many copies of Boy, Have I Got Problems I should purchase.

Would it be necessary to purchase one for my 8 yo? 6yo? 5yo? I'm not familiar with the content of the book, so I'm not sure what it's appropriate for. I know the 5 and 6 yo like to be included, but I don't want to waste money if it's over their heads or writing abilities.

Thanks!
I would say yes for the 8 yo, though you might have to help withs some of the writing. No for the 6 & 5 yo.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Poohbee

Re: Question about Boy, Have I Got Problems

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:48 pm

I actually ordered a copy for myself, too, so I could do it along with my daughters. It is a Bible study book that you write in and fill in the blanks.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:36 pm

I asked this exact (and many other) questions on the phone with the MFW office just yesterday. She suggested I get one for my 7th, one for my 5th, and one for my 2nd grader ... saying I would probably help him fill it in the first half of the year, but he'd probably be able to do most of the writing on his own by the end of the year. She also said it's great to do it "as a family." ... ... So, I'm thinking I'll end of getting 4 now ;)
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

cherryfruit

Unread post by cherryfruit » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Thanks for the answers...I will order 3 then--for the 11 yo, 10 yo and 8 yo.