Hymns - Then Sings My Soul & listening to songs

Susan on the Space Coast

Hymns - Then Sings My Soul & listening to songs

Unread post by Susan on the Space Coast » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:56 pm

I'm using 1850 to MT this year, and there are 4-5 songs from this year in The Kids Hymnal. I have it on my wish list. I know all of the songs in it. I wish I could find a resource for those I *don't* know.

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:12 pm
I just found a website that has a lot of the Then Sings My Soul hymns played!! I did a search for "john alexander dowie adelaide pollard" while looking for more info about "Have Thine Own Way" and found the site in a google search.

Dino does a great job playing them on the piano, although I tend to sing them faster as a hymn, but they are beautiful as a piano solo!
Susan
wife to Tim (22 yrs.), mommy to Emily (17, graduate), Daniel (15), and Megan (13)
Have taught MFWK through 1850-MT; High School

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:16 pm

Hi Susan...

We're in 1850-MOD too. We've been able to find a few nice videos on YouTube for the hymns that we don't know or don't have on a CD.

I had never heard the song in week 5 and 6 -- found an awesome version of it by some gentlemen who were at a Harvard University Alumni weekend.

You have to be careful with youtube so I always preview it before letting the kids listen in.

Still praying for a CD to accompany Then Sings.

Postby cbollin » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:17 pm
cyberhymnal dot org
would be a good place to start for online listening of hymns.

I enjoy a youtube search from time to time. I get disgusted at the related links and comments on good videos sometimes though. Oh well... a quick open to a new window so the kids aren't exposed and it works over here.

godtube could work on some of them.

-crystal

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:08 pm

I noticed that Kids' Hymnal and CDs in the CBD catalog, too, and I think it looks so neat. I wanted a good source for hymns for MFW1, since it is recommended that we learn a different hymn each month. I'd love to get the Kids' Hymnal and CDs eventually, but to tide me over, I purchased a kids' CD of hymns and also WOW Hymns. Both are great CDs. The kids' CD has the words, too, which is nice.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Suzq

Unread post by Suzq » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:57 am

Another way to listen to the hymns is go to cyberhymnal dot org. Click on titles and you find the title of your hymn and it plays the tune and gives you info on the writer and the person who wrote the tune. We do one hymn per month and listen and sing with the computer about once a day.
Blessings,
Suzq (MI)
wife to dh since 1992
mom to ds(1995) & ds(1998)

"His grace is sufficient"

Julie in MN

music for exploration to 1850

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:43 pm

pjssully wrote:I am just wondering how easy it would be to find the songs from Then Sings My Soul on the computer. I don't have the technology to burn cd's or anything, it would be just to listen to them from online sources. Is this even an option?
pam
Pam,
Those cyber places have most everything. And you can listen to the whole thing. Sometimes it's just someone's child singing or a church or something, but then our voices don't sound so bad :o)

Some of the music can be sampled on places like CBD or Amazon, but usually you won't get the whole song, for obvious reasons.

But I just want to reassure you that you don't have to figure out all 150 hymns in the book! There's just one song about every 2 weeks, so what's that? 15 songs or so? And then some of them you'll probably know or have on CD already -- one is going to be a Christmas song and one a patriotic song and one or two may already be familiar (such as My Father's World!). That leaves you with maybe 10 or 12 new songs for the year, and you can hunt them down or just wing it!

And maybe you've seen the extra ideas here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=4878
Plus extra hymn ideas are posted in some of the individual weeks:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=28
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=29
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Jenileigh

I purchased

Unread post by Jenileigh » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:53 pm

Hymns For a Kid's Heart volume 1 and it has a great version of My Father's World, O For a Thousand Tongues, and The Lord is My Sheppard. I already had the Wee Sing America and it has My Country Tis of Thee on it.

The option I was thinking of next was suggested to me by Julie I believe, I'm going to attempt to purchase these from Itunes and download them and make us a cd, just of the songs used in Exp-1850. I know you said you weren't capable of that (do you have a friend that could do this for you and let you pay them?) I'm thinking it'll only cost me around $10.

HTH
~Jenileigh
Daughter of the King
You can find us at
http://kingdomacademyhomeschool.blogspot.com/
Homeschooling 2 dd's
Youngest-MFW K, 1st, Exp-1850 w/supplement, moving into 1850's-Modern w/supplement
Middle Exp-1850, moving into 1850's-Modern

MFW Board Admin

NEW: Listen to hymns for year 4 and 5

Unread post by MFW Board Admin » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:00 pm

My Father’s World is pleased to announce that we now have music available for the hymn studies done in Years 4 and 5 of the Family Cycle (Exploration to 1850 and 1850 to Modern Times). Best of all, it’s FREE right here on the Message Board.

The father of one of our customers recently recorded all of the hymns for these years, played on piano. Additionally, with the help of two music students, he submitted a second recording of the music with vocals. All of this was done as a gift, so we pass it along to you, free of charge.

Under the ideas section for these two years, you will find a sticky titled, “Hymns - Listen here” There you will see the hymns listed by the week they are used in the curriculum. There are two versions for each hymn—one with vocals, and one without. If you know the hymn and feel comfortable leading your children, choose the player labeled “Music Only.” If you do not know the hymn or don’t feel comfortable leading, select the player marked “Music with Vocals.”

We hope you enjoy your study of these wonderful hymns. We are so grateful for the gift of others’ talents and the blessings they bring to us all.

You can go directly to the post here:
Year 4
Year 5

jasntas

MFW EX-1850 - Links to Hymns

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:15 pm

Hello everyone. I have been using YouTube videos for our hymn studies and saving them to my favorites bar. Then deleting them as we moved on.

I just came up with the bright idea to save them to my blog, which I don't use much as of late. That way I can easily find all of them in one place and we can either listen to and sing along with our current hymn or our new/old favorites. I thought I would share them here as well in case anyone else is interesting. If you click on my blog link in my signature line you will find them under March 19, 2014. I also put a tab on the right side of my blog screen that will also take you right to them. As of today, I have weeks 11-30 listed. I haven't listened to all of them yet so please preview them first. Also, I put 'quiet' before 'youtube' to eliminate most of the ads and junk that come up on YouTube.

We listen to our hymn usually twice a day, in the morning as we start school and in the evening with dad before we start our family Bible reading time. By the end of the first week, we usually know the hymn pretty well.

Thank you MFW for scheduling these beautiful hymns. :-)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Poohbee

Re: MFW EX-1850 - Links to Hymns

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:03 pm

Hi Tammie.

We use YouTube quite a bit for some of the hymns, too, especially if we want to explore different versions or some different artists singing the hymn.

But, I just wanted to let you know in case you didn't know about it, that there are both instrumental and vocal versions of the hymns on the idea boards for both EX1850 and 1850MOD. On the idea boards for each of those years, there is a Hymns link as the first link, with all of the hymns both played and sung. Just wanted to give you a heads-up in case you didn't know about it. :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

jasntas

Re: MFW EX-1850 - Links to Hymns

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:49 am

Poohbee wrote:But, I just wanted to let you know in case you didn't know about it, that there are both instrumental and vocal versions of the hymns on the idea boards for both EX1850 and 1850MOD. On the idea boards for each of those years, there is a Hymns link as the first link, with all of the hymns both played and sung. Just wanted to give you a heads-up in case you didn't know about it. :-)
Hi Jen,

I did know of it but others may not. Thank you for posting. :)

I like to have the words on the screen, if possible as we usually watch it on our TV which is why I like the YouTube hymns but if needed, we can use the version in the ideas boards. Thanks again for the reminder. :-)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.