EX1850 - Is it a big step up from RTR?

LSH in MS

EX1850 - Is it a big step up from RTR?

Unread post by LSH in MS » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:28 pm

I was looking at the TM and I am so excited at the content, but it seems a big step up from RTR. I will be using the supplement for a 3rd grader plus have a 1st grader who will be doing the Bible notebook and phonics.

I guess I just need some encouragement. I feel pulled in so many directions teaching all the levels plus having time for my almost 2 year old.

I feel this big transition coming with my oldest going into middle school years and yet I am still in the learning to read and toddler stage also.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:04 pm

Oh Lori,

One day at a time. We're doing EX1850 right now and I really think the leap from ECC to CTG was the biggest leap and that wasn't all that bad. Then going from CTG to RTR and then from RTR to EX1850 have both been little steps, not huge leaps.

Every time I start a new MFW year, I feel overwhelmed. I get excited and then get the TM and since it's all big and unfamiliar, it is scary.

Then, I'd do a day. We would simply do one day. It was possible. It was doable. It was done before the yellow bus drove by. And, the next day. And the next.

YOu've got a big age range, but it's not impossible. Make sure you schedule time for your older kids to entertain the toddler now and then so you can put your feet up and read a book (or get dinner started or work one-on-one with another child).

And, it's okay if you fall behind a bit. You've got a lot on your plate. Don't ever let curriculum (MFW or otherwise) intimidate you. Remember curriculum is your servant, not vice versa. Use it as a tool, a guideline, and NOT a tyrant saying "you must do all this today."

Yes, EX1850 looks like a lot (and it IS) but it's only a lot when you try to think of it all at once. Look just at one day (or if you are brave, one week) and you'll see that it's a lot like RTR or CTG in the amount of work.

One day at a time, Lori. You can do it. We all get overwhelmed. Lean on Jesus and he'll hold you up when you're too tired to stand.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Ronda

Explorers to 1850

Unread post by Ronda » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:09 am

Hi Lori,

When we did Explorers, I had a 12 y/o ds, a 10 y/o dd, a 6 y/o dd and a 1 y/o dd. I understand overwhelmed.

I agree with this other mom. Don't look at the whole book. Look at the first 2 days. See if you have one recommended book and then start with Bible. An idea that we are trying right now is doing part of Bible with Daddy the nite before. We feel like we are ahead sort of.

Also, I always make sure that we have time to read aloud. Don't skimp on that one, as it is what glues the weeks together. Our studies are always about His people and what they are up to, whether the people know they are His or not. The focus is on what is going on with His people in "his"tory and the surroundings of those people.

I prayed for you before I sent this. Trust me, I know overwhelmed and I prayed that God would give you clarity and peace.

In His strong and careful grip,
Ronda
"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito."--African Proverb

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:03 am

Lori,

I was just like you. The first couple of weeks of EX1850 overwhelmed me a bit. I ended up in tears on the phone with MFW. We had gone from almost no school in the summer to a full schedule with EX1850 that fall. Yikes! Those folks at MFW were so patient to help with those tough moments. :)

Here are some practical things that helped me:

I had to learn how to juggle two sets of read alouds. That was the hardest part. If you look at week 5 of the younger supplement grid you’ll see you have a “catch up” week with read alouds. So, you’ll have some wiggle room. Knowing that ahead of time might help you a bit.

We really stopped trying to do both read alouds during the day. Dad did one in the evening and I did the other in the day. And depending on the week it varied which one was which.

It helped me to “get done first” with the 2nd grader who was in EX1850 in terms of history and stuff. Then she had the freedom to go play and sometimes watch over the youngest. Then we could come back together for science.

Bible was done at breakfast time, lunch and bedtime. And the Lord blessed our James study. Our pastor kept putting all of these James verses in his sermons, so we were motivated to keep up and review as needed on weekends.

One of the biggest helps was letting the oldest child be in charge of the science in EX1850.

It’s ok to stagger a start to a full schedule of your school year. If writing the James memory verses add too much to your day in the early weeks, just back off a bit. It will balance out. You can play catch up during the week that you study from the Kay Arthur book. We just made one family version of the notecards that are suggested. Don’t get overwhelmed with the James memory verses. I ended up typing the verses and printing them out and putting them in the kitchen.

Building a City on a Hill --- don’t let yourself get bogged down with that book. You don’t have to read it cover to cover or learn all of it. It's only there for 10 weeks in the program to add in additional information.

Hang in there. The other section of the year that seemed to cause me a moment of panic was around weeks 28-30. The pace was fast and I wasn’t sure I could do it! But a reminder that it was supposed to be that way really helped. It was getting us through one of the times in history that was just best served by being on “the interstate” approach instead of the "scenic route."

So.. those are the rough spots that I got through. You’ll be fine. :)
-crystal

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:31 am

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I think that was my mistake, looking at the whole book at once. Your comments have been helpful.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:04 am

Lori,
I think the part about starting slowly can also be lost when we are starting a new program in the middle of the year. We are already on board with English and math and so forth. We may even be trying to "catch up" on some undone stuff from throughout the year. Therefore, we may deprive ourselves of the gentle start that is included in each year to help everyone get used to the new rhythm of things.

We may have to be more intentional about allowing ourselves time when we start a new program in the middle of the school year. I'll be right there with you!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

Transitioning from RTR to EX1850

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:42 am

Jenn in NC wrote:Quick question -- does anyone who has done both programs remember if there is a period for review at the beginning of Ex1850 or if it just picks up where RTR leaves off?
The explorers are definitely reviewed.

You're using different history books, so it's not an exact copy. You study explorers in RTR using SOTW-2. You cover them in early EX1850 using Exploring American History.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

sewardmom

Re: transitioning from RTR to Ex1850

Unread post by sewardmom » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:33 pm

We just started EX1850 and timeline duplicates were Leif Erikson and Christopher Colombus.

HTH,
~Terri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....