* EX1850 - Favorites

cbollin

* EX1850 - Favorites

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:41 pm

What do you most love about EX1850?
ChildofGrace wrote:As we continue prayerfully considering returning to MFW, I am wondering a couple more things. Would anyone be willing to share your favorite aspect of this program? What do you most love about EX1850?
Michelle, where to start on that one? We liked EX1850 a lot. From book basket, to read alouds, to having younger child with some fun readers and special read alouds. let's see.....

We enjoyed being able to pick up just how often our pastor was using verses from James. That was special to us. That was a stretching year for memory work and that’s a good thing.

I liked that my oldest got to write a formal report.

I liked that my then 2nd grader was getting an overview of the material at her level.

We liked the cooking projects in EX1850 and sometimes still make some of those recipes.

I liked that when it was a week that was heavier in world history, I was able to adapt book basket for my younger child by just adding in books about that country (almost like having an ECC style of book basket).

My girls really enjoyed the science in EX1850. The had a lot of fun doing their Taxonomy and Botany notebooking. My now 9 y.o (who did EX1850 as a 2nd grader) still gets out the science books from that year just to look through them.

We like using MFW. :)
-crystal

Lucy

Re: What do you most love about EX1850?

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:59 am

Hi Michelle,

We really liked this year also. I was amazed at how much history we covered and my kids really liked the science also. I did not have any younger kids so I can not speak to that.

One of the aspects my kids really enjoyed were the food suggestions to go with different weeks as well as other hands-on activities that were scattered through out the year.

We all loved the read alouds.

My kids and I also really liked the history books used. Their favorites were George Washington's World and Building A City on a Hill(pictures as well as text)

Hope that gives you a taste. Crystal pretty much covered everything else.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Julie in MN

Re: What do you most love about EX1850?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:19 am

Hi Michelle,
We are on week 4 of EX1850. We haven't done the state sheets yet, but I am basically liking the same things in EX1850 that I like in all the MFW programs...

* We use different levels of books, from stories to serious info
* We learn what is happening with Christianity at this time -- really tying in the explosion of ideas after the Reformation
* I, myself, am starting to get it all straight -- the difference between Columbus & the Mayflower, between Pocahontas and Squanto, who King James was...
* I like that notebook summaries are really encouraged this year; I guess I like how each year has a different flavor, and this year instead of vocabulary we have more writing
* Love the hymns
* As always, I love that plenty of time is allowed when needed. This year doesn't just throw in much more memorizing of the Bible (the whole book of James!), but instead it's allowed for with 2-3 weeks at a time of only working on the memorization during Bible time, with several hints given, including a way to introduce the whole idea of Bible memorization and its importance
* Ds likes that the library list this year has lots of videos - almost one a day so far!

Well, that's a start for 4 weeks :o)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

rxmom

Missed MFW

Unread post by rxmom » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:23 am

Hi,
Sometimes we just do not know what we have until it is gone! We have been away from MFW for about 20 weeks (chose to do another CO-OP curriculum/CC) and while we learned lots and made some wonderful new friends, we TRULY MISSED MFW!! We have been back at EXP to 1850 for 2 weeks now and are recalling WHY we chose MFW in the first place...we thought we could do CC and MFW together but discovered we could not and had to choose.

Just this morning one of my kids piped up and said, "Mom, I am so glad we are doing MFW again...School is So Fun!!" Just wanted to say we missed you all and WE LOVE THIS CURRICULUM!

Delcey :-)
Blessed beyond measure...Lovin' MFW in SW VA
ds (14) ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT, Coming Soon...AHL!
ds (12) 1st grade, ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT
dd (9) MFWK, MFW1st, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT

MelissaB

Loves learning.. what a blessing.

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:59 am

Just real quick, I hope you all won't mind my sharing with you.

In the middle of sewing class today, just out of the blue, our dd Mattie (11 yrs.) said, "You know why I think New Brunswick (Canada) should be a part of the United States?" (Please, our Canadian friends, don't take offense... She's only 11. :-) )

"Mattie, focus on the sewing," I reminded her.

Responding more to herself than to me, she sighed and said, "I love geography."

She loves history. She loves writing. She loves Chinese. She loves english class. She even likes grammar, though, admittedly, it isn't her favorite. This was not true in 1st & 2nd grade when we were using a different curriculum.

Exploration to 1850 is another wonderfully fun, incredibly indepth year. Each year, I prepare myself that the coming year may not be as good as the last... Somehow, it always is.

Thanks, MFW. For our girls loving learning. For all they're remembering. For all they're becoming as young adults and little girls. Your curriculum, the Bible teaching, the missionary biographies, the historical figures, the indepth thinking... is all a little part of the reason for that. To God be all the glory. We're thankful for all He's doing through you! :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

MelissaB

James and Ex1850

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:06 pm

Expl-1850's Bible for the year is memorizing the book of James... the entire book. We're at Week 24, and, so far, our daughter can recite James chapters 1-3 almost perfectly from memory, and is focused as we begin chapter 4.

There are many moments when we're so glad the Lord led us to MFW. Today, we added another reason.

Hope you all are having a great year, too.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Poohbee

Re: James and Ex1850

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:51 am

I agree, Melissa! We chose to do Plan B, so we are just memorizing parts of James. But, so far, we've memorized the entire 1st chapter and 4 verses in the 2nd chapter. I have been memorizing right along with my daughters. It is amazing how often those verses I've memorized come back to me when I need them. What a blessing for my girls and me to be hiding God's Word in our hearts together! Thanks for sharing, Melissa!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: James and Ex1850

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:39 pm

Isn't it awesome, Melissa?! You're farther than us, so my daughter is at having chapters 1 & 2 memorized. It's beautiful.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Poohbee

Adventures... and EX1850!

Unread post by Poohbee » Sat May 17, 2014 8:28 am

Rejoicing with you at the successful completion of Adventures! What a great year! If [your daughter] loved doing the state sheets, she will probably like doing them again in about 4 years.

We are finishing up EX1850, and we did some of the state sheets again (will finish them next year in 1850MOD), and some of my girls' favorite things this year were learning about the states and the presidents (doing the state sheets and president fact sheets).

For those who won't do ADV, don't despair. You will do many of the same things (the state sheets, some of the same hands-on activities) in EX1850 and 1850MOD. Good times, good times! :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: Adventures... and EX1850!

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed May 21, 2014 4:15 pm

My dd loved ADV! And this year in EX1850, she is showing off how much she retained, and yes - she is loving doing the state sheets again and getting to color the state bird and flower. Her favorite thing to do is look for the silliest fact on the back of the page.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

SarahP

Praises!

Unread post by SarahP » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:04 pm

As part of Exploration to the 1800's my boys (11, 8 and 8) have been memorizing the book of James. The first day one of my 8 year old boys was in tears - sure that it was impossible to do. As of today (we are on week 11 of school) my two younger boys have at least 23 out of the first 27 verses memorized and my 11 year old has the entire first chapter (27 verses). They are all doing SUCH a good job and reciting with passion.

Last night my older son (Kaleb) presented for his dad who asked him what part he finds most meaningful at the moment. Kaleb responded that he thought that the part about being a doer and not merely a hearer was really jumping out at him the most because it means that "we have to be sponges that both soak up the information but also squeeze it out". This morning, when it was his turn to recite he asked me if he was fidgeting at all when he recites because he wants to take this really seriously and he knows that it's important not to fidget when you speak/present.

(we'll be going out for donuts once all three have the first chapter done and Dad has promised a BIG reward once they get all 4 chapters done)

I am so proud of my boys - how exciting to be able to immerse ourselves in such a great and edifying book for an entire school year!

Last week was such a tough week - I felt like I was in the Slogh of Despond from Pilgrims Progress - teaching Long Division to the little boys was frustratingly hard, we have very full margins and various stressors right now and I was just emotionally spent. This week they all just seem to be getting things - it's not perfect (of course!) but it's been one of those weeks where I am reaping some amazing homeschool fruit! (Praise Jesus!)

Another example is my Noah - (the same one who cried about memorizing James) - He was in his room reading "On the Banks Of Plum Creek" when all of a sudden he burst into the classroom (that took a run down a flight of stairs and a run up a different flight of stairs) because he HAD to look at our USA map to figure out the route the Ingalls were driving in their wagon to Minnesota!

Some weeks we plow and and till and others we get to harvest and feast!

kw4blessings

Re: Praises!

Unread post by kw4blessings » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:11 pm

Thanks for sharing! Yes, the sowing and reaping analogy is so true. It's nice during the sowing moments to remember back to the harvest times like these, huh? :)
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

MelissaB

Re: Praises!

Unread post by MelissaB » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:42 am

We can ALL relate to this.:) Thank you for sharing it.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13

MelissaB

Description of EX1850?

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon May 11, 2015 1:03 pm

Exploration-1850 is very rich in learning not only how our constitution/government is set up, but why it was set up this way. We learned so much! Enjoy! :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13

klewfor3

Enjoying Expl-1850

Unread post by klewfor3 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:42 am

Hello,

I wanted to say how much I love the activities planned in the teachers manual. Since we are a little farther in our homeschooling journey now, the kids will talk about things that we have done in the past, and things they are looking forward to in our current school year. It is so sweet to hear. The other day my daughter was talking about the ants that we had ordered when she was in 1st, and how fun that was. And yesterday, in science, we were talking about pollination and discussed how butterflies aid in the process. All the kids remembered the long "tongues" on the butterflies that we raised during the kindergarten unit.

We are so blessed to have a schoolroom where we can keep past and present projects out and it is often that my kids' friends will come over and I hear comments like "You are so lucky!" and "How cool!" Last week, my daughter's friend came into the kitchen carrying the bones from our dissected owl pellets. She asked me where I knew to get owl pellets and I told her the information was in my teachers manual. She then asked me what curriculum we used (she is homeschooled as well). I told her and then chuckled at what the conversation might be at her house that night. MFW makes me look good! :-)

Honestly, I am a well-intentioned and creative person, but I know my weaknesses. These activities are so fun and exactly what I want to do but....I WOULD NEVER DO THEM ON MY OWN! Often I really struggle to get them done when the research and planning is already done for me. Daily I tend to be more determined to get the notebooking, math, and other things done. In reality, making hasty pudding, growing bacteria from my kids' toes and underarms, and releasing butterflies that we have raised from caterpillars are the memories I always wanted my kids to have of school.

Thank you!
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

DS4home

Re: Enjoying Expl-1850

Unread post by DS4home » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:45 pm

I totally agree!! :-)

We are on our second time through the cycle with my youngest now. Many times I get the question, "when do I get to do __________". As she sees things in the house or remembers something she watched the older ones do, she is looking forward to her turn!

So much fun to be had!

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

MelissaB

Re: Enjoying Expl-1850

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:43 pm

We absolutely LOVED Expl.-1850! We all learned so much.

And thank you for the reminder about projects, Kathy. Our priorities can get jumbled quickly over here. ;)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13