EX1850 - George Washington's World

cbollin

EX1850 - George Washington's World

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:45 am

HSmommi2mine wrote:I enjoyed ACW, but it just wasn't my kids' style. Has anyone one substituted something else for GWW in Ex.-1850. It is the main spine for part of the year like ACW is in R2R?
We liked GWW much better than ACW. But you can do whatever you want to do

-crystal

dhudson

Re: George Washington's World

Unread post by dhudson » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:28 am

We are reading GWW right now with a 6th grader and twin 3rd graders and they seem to be enjoying it. I did put together a lap book for them which they have used to fill in information as we have read and they have enjoyed that. I also copied some of the pages that Marie suggested in the TM to be used as coloring pages and the twins really got into those.

It is not the main spine although we have used it considerably for several weeks now but SOTW has been used more before the last few weeks. Does that make sense?

The readings are not as long and they seem to encompass more of the world if that makes sense. So one day we may be talking about Alexander Hamilton and how he got to the colonies and then we read about Marie Antoinette and why the French were important to the colonies and then talk about Thomas Jefferson. They are interrelated but they come to be important to the colonies in so many different ways. The kids and I enjoy being "history detectives" and look for the things that interconnect all the different people. The kids get really excited when they start to come together.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:50 am

It really is a very different book since in incorporates the life of one person into what else was going on around the world. Our family liked it better as well and it is used long with SOTW and Exploring American History. There are some weeks when this book is the only history spine but more often than not there books mentioned are also being used. You get glimpses into the world of many other Americans and world figures to who were living during this time with President Washington.

Like Crystal, we liked it much better and found it to be very interesting. Seems like the readings were not as long either?

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:38 pm

I also thought GWW had a different feel than ACW. We may have enjoyed ACW better, because it was more about one character. GWW gives in-depth coverage of the span of George Washington's life and his many contributions (boy, soldier, farmer, commander, president). But GWW involves so much more because it is so much more recent & we know things that were going on all over the place. However, Marie groups all the books together, so you are studying the French all at once, in GWW as well as SOTW etc. She really holds your hand as you build an understanding of world history. I'd give it a try.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:49 pm

Just chiming in with everybody else! (although we really liked ACW - I wasn't trying to read it to a younger child, just a ummm, older 11 year old at that time, I think) GWW is IMO more "readable" than ACW. I would at least plan on giving it a try, and then if it *really* isn't working, try something else. But my 12 and 7 year olds have loved it so far!
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!