Schedule - EX1850 with many children

Jenn in NC

Schedule - EX1850 with many children

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:08 pm

Family Size - Scheduling many children w/ EX1850
6patrix wrote:Wow, I got my box about 2 weeks ago, and I just can't stop reading all the books and attempting to plan our HS days. The Lord is giving more and more clarity as I pray and as I go, but I am wondering how all this is going to go.

I will be teaching a 7th gr, 5th gr, 2nd gr, and Kindergarten. Plus a very sweet toddler who will be 2 in Sept. I am thankful for the Lord leading us to MFW.

I could use any and all suggestions as to scheduling so many different levels. I would like the older 2 to be more independent (math, science & English for 7th). Plus I just don't want to be so focused on crossing off all the boxes that I forget about my littles or forget about enjoying my kids.

I would like to do a hs enrichment day once a wk, too. Will I be able to fit everything in 4 days? Any advice from others teaching 4 or w/ larger families would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Debbie
P.S. Guess I should change my user name. We have 7 in fam now. (5 kids)
Wife to awesome husband (14 yrs) and 5 incredible kids: dd-12(almost), ds-10, ds-8, ds-5, dd-2(almost)
We are schooling a bunch here too -- 12 yo ds, 10 yo ds, 8 yo ds, and my kindy girl. Plus my preschool girl, and a 1 yo boy who crawls everywhere at lightning speed. %|

The first thing that comes to mind when I think about how to make all this happen is David Hazel's workshop on cd called "Help! My homeschool is chaos!" I just recommended it to someone on here the other day so you may have already heard this if you are following that other thread. But if not then I will hit the highlights -- that workshop really helped me with figuring out a system to help my older kids be a little more independent. It saved our school year this last year and revolutionized the way I assign schoolwork.

If you do get a chance to listen to the cd (or mp3 -- you can download it if you want) and you decide to give the whiteboard method that David describes a try, then I can tell you a few tweaks that I have been using for the last 6 months or so that made the method even more effective for my family of several kids.

I love your heart to not neglect the littles in the process of educating the olders. I'm right with you on that! I am sure you will get lots of other good ideas.

Blessings,
Jenn
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850

cbollin

Re: Family Size - Scheduling many children w/ EX-1850

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:18 pm

Jenn in NC wrote: If you do get a chance to listen to the cd (or mp3 -- you can download it if you want) and you decide to give the whiteboard method that David describes a try, then I can tell you a few tweaks that I have been using for the last 6 months or so that made the method even more effective for my family of several kids.
if you need a visual of the white board that David shows in a power point
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 00&#p46300

Postby cbollin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:52 pm
The archived link to "Help! my homeschool is in chaos" isn't working. I did hear that Rhino Technologies is not selling from too far back any longer. maybe that's what's up. I'm guessing most of those workshop links aren't going to work...

Current workshops:
http://www.rhino-technologies.com/

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:03 pm

Well, I did Ex-1850 this last year with a 12 year old, 8 year old, and K with a 5 year old. I didn't have a toddler, but I was pregnant (and very very sick most of the 9 months), then had a newborn, does that count? LOL And we only did MFW 4 days a week - as my kids go to co-op classes one day. So, yes, it certainly can be done!

Here's how I do it most days:
I get my 2 older kids started with whatever they can do independently (usually math and handwriting for the 8 year old; math, grammar, Latin, art, etc. for the 12 year old). While they are working, I do all the 5 year old's schoolwork with her. When she is done, I send her off to play, and I work with the 8 year old (the 12 year old is still doing independent work during this time) finishing up his "3 r's" work. When I'm done with him, usually the 12 year old is done with her stuff as well, and we typically take a short break. This all takes us about 2 hours total - that is with normal distractions, and just whatever might come up.
After a short break, we all come back together and do all of our MFW stuff in one fell swoop:-) (history, science, Bible, read alouds). This also takes about 2 hours for all of it. By the end of the school year, my 5 year old was wanting to join in with us on a lot of the readings, and wanted to make her own "notebook":-). So cute!

Hope this helps!
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:46 am

I have a 7th grader all the way to a 3 year old. I am doing my schedule a bit differently this year. It was difficult for me to have them all do the same subject at once because they all needed help at the same time etc. So I divided their subjects into two categories: independent work and work with Mom. I made a checklist from Homeschool Tracker (free version) for the older dc listing all of their independent work for each day. They will begin this work immediately after our Bible lesson is done all together.

Then I will spend about 1 hour with each child, beginning with the youngest school aged child. I will do all the work that requires me during that time. For the youngest, that would be (MFW 1st, teach math lesson)

For the 7th grader that would be (Spelling Power, go over math and grammar from yesterday, Progeny press guide, help with writing assignment). They each have an opportunity during that time to discuss any of the assignments they had difficulty with.

While I am doing this the other 3 children are doing their independent work.(math workbook, reading, book basket, etc.)

After I have my time with each child, we will do the history and science reading, projects, experiments etc. Also during the day, my children take turns playing with the 3 year old.

Another thing that is helpful to me is that I have 2-3 weeks of school in August where we just do a few subjects to get into a routine. I will be getting my 7th grader started on his science and math when I have time to walk him through it. Hopefully he will be able to handle it independently when I start the full schedule.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

ManyXsBlessed

Unread post by ManyXsBlessed » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:09 pm

I'm the exact same boat, and the same program! Last year was tough, when our little girl was less than a year. I'm anticipating a tough year this year too since now she is toddling, screaming, kicking, LOL

Just be flexible and trust God to provide for their needs. This time with little ones is short, that is what I keep telling myself! Ha Ha
Erin
Mom to 3 boys (12, 10, and 7) and a baby girl
MFW EX-1850, Winter Promise LA, Apologia Gen, Teaching Textbooks, and A Beka