Vocab after CTG & RTR

cbollin

Vocab after CTG & RTR

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:49 pm

Debby3 wrote:After English from Roots Up, how do you incorporate vocabulary into your schooling?
Debby
In EX1850 (after EFRU), we did a lot of vocabulary with the read alouds. One of the books even had a glossary in the back of it (Almost Home). I had a copy of the literature guide for Amos Fortune and did the vocabulary in there while we were reading. My 5th grader didn't need to do the full guide.

So a lot of vocabulary just came from using read alouds and other books (from basic package) that were "above" grade level. It was more of a relaxed approach for us that year.

in Intermediate Language Lessons --- we had some vocab. built in the lessons.

and then --- the botany book was full of vocabulary.
Debby3 wrote:So, what did you do with the vocabulary when you came across it? Did you just discuss it, or have them write it down in a vocabulary section of a notebook?
Debby
Depended a bit.... most reading books we just discussed it as we came to it, but didn't write it down. When it was the Amos Fortune book (and study guide), we just did that out loud as well (we could have written it down in the guide, but didn't because that guide was better suited for grades higher than 5th) and we didn't use all of the guide (I had it to get a feel for what it was like). My oldest was quick to pick up new words in context when reading.

ILL -- that went in the English notebook.

Botany book vocab --- that was written down in the science notebook as we went along.

2nd grader: When she had stuff it was from PLL and botany and the animal kingdom book. Those were part of the notebooking. But not with read alouds. She was using Rod and Staff spelling and part of that book includes learning how to give definitions, so it was built in along the way.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:00 pm

Debby,
I was thinking of just continuing to review the Greek & Latin roots. Ds likes the games suggested in the teacher manual (I think it was week 17 or so in CTG, once we had built up quite a few words).

The favorite one at our house is telling a continuing story using words with the root in it. So ds will start a story using one of the cards, and I must continue it using another card, and back and forth until we use all the cards. Our stories get pretty goofy :o)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MJ in IL

Unread post by MJ in IL » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:01 pm

My mom (retired hs English teacher) trained me to read with a notebook next to me. I am trying to teach my children to do this as well. When we get to a word we don't know, we write it down, look it up and jot down a definition. Sometimes we simply figure out by the context and look it up in the dictionary at the end of the chapter. The kids do occasionally balk at stopping all the time, but get used to it as I like to stop and look at a map for places mentioned too. We have found that we are wrong in our assumptions of word meanings too...a few that really made a difference in understanding a passage.

The literature guides mentioned also have good vocab lists. I have never had much luck with specific vocab programs as I haven't seen much transfer to real life. My kids are loving EFTRU though and we have had fun hearing or seeing new words with our "roots" in them.
Molly
dd14 enjoying AHL; ds12 & ds10 in RtR & dd5 working through K!
have done K (2X), 1 (2X), ECC, CtG, & 1850MT

Sue in MN

Unread post by Sue in MN » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:22 pm

I just wanted to say that English from the Roots Up has a vol. 2. I think that would be a good followup if you liked EFTRU #1.

We did Latina Christiana and Hey, Andrew, Teach Me Some Greek for a while, but I'm thinking of going back to EFRU. I am going to make some decisions next month.

Debby3

Unread post by Debby3 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:42 am

Thanks to all for your input! I really like what Crystal said she does in putting the vocab in that subject's notebook. (I can't remember if that is an MFW suggestion). I also like the idea of the notebook when reading. Maybe I'll do a combination of the notebook and a dictionary handy without writing them down for the read alouds. Theses are some great practical ideas that seem like common sense, yet I hadn't thought of them.

So, after the words are in the notebooks, then what? Did you have the child learn them for a test? Oh, I was just thinking of what we did with EFTRU with the card box. Maybe I'll incorporate that with our new vocab.

Julie, I, too, will continue with the roots. I hate to lose all that work! I guess I missed the games! Sue, I didn't realize there was another book. Thanks.

Debby
Debby
happily married since 1992
mother of 3: ds(12), ds(10), dd(8)
used ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex-1850
Fall '08 1850-MT

Julie in MN

Vocab after CTG & RTR

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:10 pm

Amy in NC wrote:Does anyone add a vocab program to yrs 4 & 5. We won't be dropping spelling for the girls yet; they're awful spellers. So do we need an additional vocab program or just focus on science vocab?
Science vocab is what I did in 7th. There were lots of science words that ds had no idea how to spell. It tied in kinda nicely with his Greek/Latin roots foundation.

There was also lots of vocab in the Progeny Press guides. Those words could be studied further.

My son has always been a good speller, so that may make a difference in your plans. But I just typed up a list of words from his 7th grade science book and used the list to have him define/spell words once in a while. He did a lot orally, and at some point he kept a running spelling page and just added to it, so it wasn't anything big. I'd pencil on my list when I felt words needed to be touched on again.

I'm sure Spelling Power has some of those words in there, too. If you're continuing with SP, then you could just use some of those words for vocab discussion. I'm all for using what I have, first.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

LA in Baltimore

Re: Vocab after CTG & RTR

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:54 pm

We have Volume II of English From the Roots Up.
We've enjoyed continuing on with that with our oldest.
Currently I'm using Volume I with my other three.
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!