1850-MOD - Help when modern history is a lot

Julie in MN

1850-MOD - Help when modern history is a lot

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Winni wrote:My 11yo is just not retaining this at all. It is just so much info. We need an easier approach to history.

Please don't ask me to review each paragraph with her...that would take all day. :~

Is anyone else having this problem? Especially in 1850 to Mod? I'm thinking about just using the book basket books for history...the picture books!
Hi Tracey,
My son did 1850MOD when he was 12/13 I think. Modern history is a lot. And most curriculums (including MOH) never seem to get that far. Plus, I myself never knew much of anything about modern history until I started homeschooling, so I really needed a tour guide!

What we did was:
- listen to SOTW on CD
- do the outline pages while listening, stopping the CD on the spot he needed to be at
- stopped doing the outline pages somewhere about halfway through and just went to notebooking, which is just the way I like to do things :)
- spent a little more time in the Activity Book than on the actual SOTW chapters, so we learned more about Florence Nightingale than about the Crimean War, etc. When my ds really got into a topic, such as the stock market, we spent more time on that than on the SOTW outlining/notebooking, although we still listened to the CD
- really spent time on the presidents and to a lesser extent the states, again setting aside the SOTW info after listening to the CD, if we liked
- also spent time on the other USA portions that Marie adds in, from the state/capital games to the patriotic songs
- sometimes spent extra time on other books, such as read-alouds (Little Bear Wheeler reading Sergeant York on audio was a huge favorite), and kinda rushed through our SOTW audio.

I'm not sure what to suggest if you want to ditch SOTW altogether. There are some strictly USA history programs out there, but few that include the world and are finished already. I wanted my son to see the world fit together, especially as the USA got involved in the world wars, Vietnam, cold war, etc. Heavy-duty stuff. I posted in the "Ideas" board some of the extras we used (Albert Marrin's book on WWI, Pocketful of Goobers on GW Carver, CSPAN video of the presidents, live recordings of various newscasts).

I know you are much busier than I, but if you can look at MFW/SOTW as a "framework" all sketched out for you, with loads of extra ideas available (in the Activity Book, MFW manual, and Ideas forum) maybe you can still absorb some important stuff and have a fun year?
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: REALLY considering ditching SOTW

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:10 pm

Tracey,
Can I hug you? good (((hugs))))

what week are you in?

Here's an idea that we use in high school to help my oldest when the reading went fast or something: she reads the review questions first to know what to look for. Even in Epic of Gilgamesh, my advanced reading kiddo, read the questions first. I read the questions and ANSWERS and then read the chapters.

So, agreeing with Julie's suggestions. good stuff. I like that.

what if you give heads up before reading, have the outline in front of you, see it as a time to listen for some key facts from around the world. Have the outline and review questions answers as you go through the stuff and just use those for any narration. You might not have to stop all the time. Then, you don't have to retain it all a day later, you have a reference sheet in your notebook to go back and look up some stuff.

You'll retain some cool stuff like the activities, or maybe a cooking project and realize that there was lots of wars. I still remember Kate making the Crystal Palace. I remember the canal activity. I remember the chair lift in Africa.

then, yeah, I remember book basket stuff too. and I think it's probably fine if book basket takes a bigger role this year. You know my story on that, right? middle gal (who didn't have to do any SOTW vol. 4) got picture books on China while oldest was learning about Mao and all of that...... "mommy, China is a beautiful place with beautiful people..... how many Muslims live there? I want to go there someday and tell them Jesus loves them."

So, I know in your family it's a little different because your 11 y.o isn't your oldest, but just became the oldest among the children in grades 2-8.
Winni wrote:Is anyone else having this problem? Especially in 1850 to Mod? I'm thinking about just using the book basket books for history...the picture books!
I wonder if it might help to get one of the high school books early? That MFW edition of the DK History of the World has plenty of pictures, right?
http://www.mfwbooks.com/highschool-whl.html#DKhistory
I don't know. Just popped in my mind as a small idea.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:25 pm

Winni wrote:Hi Julie,
Thank you for all of those wonderful suggestions. Now, why would we listen to SOTW on CD instead of me just reading it? Is it an exciting CD?
Naw, the SOTW CDs aren't that exciting. It's Jim Weiss, but I don't think it's his best work. I just use them because my youngest is a major auditory learner. But I thought you might find listening to the CDs to be less burdensome than reading all the details?

(Now, the Sergeant York CDs, those were definitely worth the splurge to us. )

I forgot to mention that the biggest thing that happened during 1850MOD was that *I* became one of those teachers who know stuff :) As the year went on, I was surprised at how I was able to make connections for my son when he didn't understand something. I could remember having read something and, even if I couldn't bring up the memory immediately, I could usually look it up in one of the books quickly. I also started to make connections to movies (another great thing to add to SOTW -- with lots of ideas in the book basket lists) and to pick the brain of history types like my husband, to clarify my understanding. I'm so proud now :~

Julie

mamacastle2

Unread post by mamacastle2 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:14 am

I forgot to mention that the biggest thing that happened during 1850MOD was that *I* became one of those teachers who know stuff As the year went on, I was surprised at how I was able to make connections for my son when he didn't understand something. I could remember having read something and, even if I couldn't bring up the memory immediately, I could usually look it up in one of the books quickly. I also started to make connections to movies (another great thing to add to SOTW -- with lots of ideas in the book basket lists) and to pick the brain of history types like my husband, to clarify my understanding. I'm so proud now
Do I really have to wait till 1850MOD for that? I'm only in CTG now. 8[]
Jeanne
Wife to Brody
Mother to DD 10, DS 7, DD 5, DS 3, DD 1
MFW User Since 2007: MFW 1st, Adv., ECC, CTG
2011-2012 - RTR & MFWK

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:18 pm

Just a quick thought. Peace Hill Press has coloring pages for the SOTW. If they color while you are reading maybe that will help.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

prplhrtwife

Unread post by prplhrtwife » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:57 pm

Alright - this may sound REALLY odd, but I will never forget how I learned modern history in high school.

Once we hit the year 1900 (approximately early March when we were all restless and ready to run anyway) he pulled out We Didn't Start The Fire by Billy Joel and we spent the remainder of the year studying ALL the events discussed in that song. There are (I tried to count but had a "helper" that goobered me up!) 100+ historical references to events from 1900 until the song was written. Some may not be subjects you're comfortable covering with a young child and you'll have to use your discernment, but it really can be a super cool way for kids to get to learn that century like the back of their hand and all of the major players in it.

There's a GREAT video here complete with dates on the events in the song. http://www.teacheroz.com/fire.htm

I'm not a huge fan of SOTW in general but I am a huge history nut. There are so many interesting and fun ways to present this time in history. SO much was/is happening. Something that could add a little "spice" is to take wherever you're "supposed" to be and do a side "delight directed" 1-2 day unit study on something that interests YOUR child from that time. My DS is a train nut so part of what we'll be studying is the evolution in train technology and how it was used to improve ___ at the time.

HTH!

Pylegang

Unread post by Pylegang » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:21 pm

A couple of pretty easy things you could do:

When you add pieces to your timeline, work WITH your children to summarize/review the person or event that you're addingto the timeline. For example, if you're adding "Christopher Columbus" ask, "Who WAS Christopher Columbus?" I let my kids answer and sometimes I add information to the things they say.

Also . . . I think the SOTW Activity Guide has little review cards at in the back of the book. They summarize the chapters in 2-3 sentences--just enough to jog your memory about what you read. :) Cut those out and add a new card after each chapter. Keep them in the MFW order and have your child look at them/review them occasionally.
--Angela
Homeschooling classically since 2000--DS grade 6 and DS grade 4.

Tracey in ME

Unread post by Tracey in ME » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:05 pm

More fabulous ideas! You guys are so awesome...sniff!

We are in Week 5, btw.

Thank you! That's a great idea about the timeline figures.

The Activity Book Four doesn't have those cards, though. They do the outline instead.
cbollin wrote:In the Activity book, they have the review questions and highlight points that way to use to jog memory and help with narration along the way. Just pick a few of the more key questions?
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/

Julie in MN

Thinking about 2nd semester - 5th & 2nd grades

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:51 pm

TrustingHim wrote:So, first semester went really well! However, I'm wanting to bounce ideas off someone else to see how second semester can be better.

First - Science is suffering. I think I'm trying to do too much. I was using a separate program, but now I've decided it would be easier to use MFW's science and scrap the other. We'll be starting back in week 10, so I don't feel too far off, but here are my questions:

1. Should I try and back up, or just start in week 10?
2. I don't really understand what you're supposed to do in Science. Are we supposed to read and do a notebook page? What does that look like for a 5th grader (1850-Mod)?
3. Going forward, if you miss a science day, do you skip it or try and catch up?

Second - I'm having a hard time keeping up with the Read-Alouds. Because I have a 2nd grader "going along" with us, I can't always find the time to read them aloud to my oldest. She tends to read them to herself, and that's it. I try to find time to ask her questions about them, but not always. Also, the Book Basket isn't happening. I feel like it's a lot to juggle. So:

1. Do I need to make the Book Basket more of a priority? Should we force the issue and pick up the books every week?
2. Am I wrong to let my oldest read the read-alouds on her own? I just find if I read the read-aloud to my oldest, I don't get to my youngest's read alouds or work. Should I maybe only have oldest read one history source a day?

Third (and maybe final?) - We don't always get to the notebook pages in History. I've made sure we get the American History portions done (civil war), but next semester:

1. The President pages and state pages are a priority, but we never get to go over them. Is that OK?
2. If we do the Activity book, we get the outlining and mapping done. Has anyone done any of the other activities? If we miss a day, do you think it's OK to just skip the Activity book and do the reading as catch up (like when she's sick).

Thanks for thinking this through with me! We really do feel like it's going well. We started in September and that put us a little "behind," but I'm glad it did. It really gave us the opportunity to ease in. I think if we can just wrap our brains around these things, and figure them out, we'll be even better off second semester.

Thanks!
And Merry Christmas!
Dorinda
Hi Dorinda,
I can't give any good suggestions about science in 1850MOD, since my child was doing jr hi science that year.

But as for the history, 1850MOD is really packed, especially for the ages of your kids. I think you are wise to prioritize in advance what you really want to focus on and what you want to spend less time on. Of the different parts you mentioned, I will just share where our priorities and interests were. Yours will be different!

1. Read-alouds: We always did these together. But I didn't have a younger on board. And for that matter, I don't have a child who likes to read, but he loves to be read to. However, since we were doing ECC 7/8th grade next, I just waited on Brother Andrew. Actually, Corrie ten Boom and Hudson Taylor will be covered later, too, if you need to spend less time. I absolutely would do Sgt. York, as he brings WWI to live; we used the audiobook by Little Bear Wheeler, which helps on the reading load. Also, Courage to Run and Across Five Aprils were a big part of understanding those periods of history. I think these 3 books were a way to bring more "America" into the SOTW studies.

2. Book basket didn't always get done at our house (except in ECC the first time through). But I definitely had some books in mind that I wanted my ds to at least look thru, and then it sort-of merged over into watching videos during lunch or reading more about presidents, and so book basket sometimes just "looked" different, but the extra exposure was there.

3. President pages and state pages: These were a priority for me, too. Not sure what you mean by not "going over" them but we spent extra time on both of these at our house. I listed some of our resources in the Ideas Board, but this was a great part of 1850MOD for us -- every state and every president.

4. Activity book ideas: We did a lot of these, but not all by any means. My son made the Enfield rifle cartridges out of flour and tinfoil, he built a crystal castle, he made red/white yarn bracelets, he checked his health for a week (Florence Nightingale), he printed on a tinfoil golden spike, he followed his brother's company on the stock market, and more. They helped bring history alive to him, but he's an active boy type :)

5. Outlining: I downplayed this one at our house, because I wanted to spend more time on the US history. We always listened to the SOTW chapter and discussed it, but only did the outlines for about half the time. But if we didn't do an outline, I usually had my son do a general notebook page on what he'd learned. I do think the student needs to "do something" with the chapter or the info will just fly out the window.

Just a glimpse into one other family,
Julie

cbollin

Re: Thinking about 2nd semester

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:04 am

Dorinda,
Merry Christmas!

quickly typing. I did 1850MOD a while back, so my memory is fuzzy.

Science: pick up in week 10 and go forward. If you have time later or if you’re getting more done, then go back and have some fun.
What we did in the built in science that year (6th and 3rd grade): I read aloud the 2 page spread to oldest, and just summarized a bit for 3rd grader while focusing on that first paragraph of information and captions on the pictures. We then, enjoyed various videos (Magic School Bus) or other books and really just had fun with the experiments and used the internet links in usborne book for extra experiments. We treated it like fun and it was fun. Elementary science doesn’t have to be learn everything this year. No, we didn’t do a notebooking page each time with oldest in science. I wasn’t too worried about it. And she’s still done just fine in jr. high and high school science. Lots of the material in 1850MOD is chemistry and physics and will be repeated in General and Physical in jr. high, so have fun with the experiments.

Skip or catch up? We’d sometimes catch up on Saturday morning just for fun. Play it by ear. Now that you’re doing just one science curriculum, it may not become an issue.

Read Alouds: in our house, my husband read the older read alouds in the evening with oldest, and I did younger read alouds with middle gal. There was no way I could do both during the day, so my husband did read aloud with oldest. These days, I’m more into audio books.

Personally, I prefer read alouds from deluxe to be done with parent to help digest info in there. Then, let her read read read from book basket.

Remember your oldest is 5th grade, and it is not typical to use 1850MOD when oldest is that age, so it’s ok to scale back as needed.

I’d try to do book basket. May I ask why that isn’t getting done? Maybe there are some ideas to help with that?

History:
I have same question as Julie. What do you mean by don’t get to go over the state sheets and presidents sheets? I can remember reading the back side out loud (while the sheet was on the table in front of them) and having each child underline a fun fact that was cool to them. Then, they’d flip it over and do the coloring while I either did some out loud reading to them or typed over here.

SOTW AB – some of the activities we did. Or I’d modify stuff. I saw those as time to help an abstract concept become a bit more concrete. Or some of them my oldest did as independent work

-crystal

TrustingHim

Re: Thinking about 2nd semester

Unread post by TrustingHim » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:05 pm

Crystal and Julie,
It's so great to have you guys! I can always depend on you to help :)

The Book basket isn't getting done because of time. Even when I request and check them out from the library, they sit on the shelf because I don't have a structured time to get them done. I was doing another reading program with both girls, but I've been thinking about dropping it for my oldest after the first of the year. I would continue to use it with my youngest, and during her "Reading" time, oldest could be using the book basket. My youngest would still have time for the book basket, because she has less structured instruction time during the day. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, my youngest technically reads books from the book basket, because I can't keep her out of the library books at all! :-)

Crystal - I REALLY like your idea of having Dad read with the older one and I'll read with the younger one. Dad read some of Farmer Boy with us and loved it, but our oldest felt left out. I could read the 2nd/3rd grade read aloud during the day to both girls, and Dad could read to the older one in the evening. While he's reading to her, I could read something from the book basket, or just anything from the shelf. My youngest still LOVES to cuddle and read so anything will do. My oldest can read the books on her own, but I feel like I really need to know what she's reading this year. The subject matter is so "grown up" in a way, and I want to make sure we discuss everything she's reading.

My oldest is very independent. She has been doing the state sheets and president sheets on her own and filing them in her notebook. That's partly my fault because I've basically been giving them to her, intending to cover them at some point during the day. That's what I mean about not going over them. She does them all on her own, and I never see them again :~ I think I'll make that more of a priority. Sometimes it's so easy to let an independent child go off on their own, but I'd like to reign that in a little.

Also, I forget that 1850-Mod isn't always used with the oldest in 5th grade. That helps relieve some of my, "how much should I be doing?!" stress. We had to really pray about whether to move into 1850-Mod, or go to ECC. What ultimately decided it was my youngest. Waiting a year put her on track for the 5 year cycle with an extra year of Geography in Jr High. I may write on a post it note, "She's only in 5th grade" and stick it in my Teacher's Guide to help me remember :-)

Julie-I agree with you, I think the outlining is a great intro, but I think I'll take your suggestion on mixing it up a little. Some outlining, some projects, some narrations.

Thanks so much for your suggestions! They've been so helpful. It's so good I have an "oldest" child to be my guinea pig, isn't it? This is going to be a breeze the second time around. . .Right? ;)

Dorinda
Wife to an exceptional DH for 17 years
Mother to 2 Girls; 14 and 11
Used: EX-1850 & 1850-MOD both with the 2nd/3rd grade go-alongs and ECC with 7th/8th grade go alongs
2014/15: Ex-1850 & AHL
Psalm 118:24