LLFT - Describe Language Lessons for Today

Copywork, Cursive, Dictation, Grammar, Handwriting, Letter Writing, Memory Work, Narration, Read-Alouds, Spelling, Vocabulary, & Writing (many of these topics apply to other subjects such as Bible, History, and Science)
MFW-Julie/Archiver

LLFT - Describe Language Lessons for Today

Unread post by MFW-Julie/Archiver » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:39 am

DaniWestRN wrote:I was just looking at the website. It appears that MFW is recommending a new book for language art for 2nd and 3rd grade instead of PLL. I don't see any information on it. (Is it reusable? Is it similar to PLL?) It's a pretty big price jump from PLL too.
Marie is creating a MFW version of PLL (a public domain 1900 book), giving a little more instruction where folks tend to have questions, and maybe making a few topics more up to date (or at least give explanations of unfamiliar things?), according to customer requests. I asked whether she planned to retain the charming qualities we so enjoyed, and she seemed excited to be working with some of the more classic/traditional poetry and artwork that were characteristic of PLL, of course checking on all copyrights.

Since the office is closed for the weekend, I thought I'd just throw out what I know. I'm sure we'll hear more details as the various 2014 updates unfold on the website. It looks like it has the MFW-style spiral binding and is larger than the hard bound version we've used.

HTH, Julie

Poohbee

Re: New Language Arts recommendation?

Unread post by Poohbee » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:35 pm

I can't say much, because I promised I wouldn't, but since it came up, and since it is pictured on the website, I think it might be okay for me to say a few things. :-)

We are one family piloting Language Lessons for Today, Grade 3. Yes, it is very much like PLL. Yes, it is reusable. There are separate books for Grade 2 and Grade 3...basically PLL split in half. But there is more to it than PLL had. As Julie said, there is more help/notes for the parent and direction for the student and Marie has updated some of the older lessons. It truly is just lovely, and Marie has done a beautiful job with it.

I probably shouldn't say more right now. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything just yet. I just wanted to put your minds at ease...you will LOVE it!
Jen
happily married to Vince (18 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:01 pm

Oh! I'm so excited to hear more about this. I am one who would enjoy a little more direction with PLL. We do a lot orally (possibly have some dysgraphia going on here) and I'm struggling with making sure my dd gets enough, but isn't overwhelmed with writing. Maybe this will be the answer I'm looking for? Listening! :)
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:54 pm

Just letting everyone know I just saw the samples for this on the website....looks wonderful! I wish I had it for my 3rd grader this year. Oh, well, I will get a chance with my ds in a few years.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:09 pm

That sample looks nice! Thanks for posting on here that the sample was up.

I will definitely be getting this when I order ECC!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:13 pm

LOVE the samples! I'm looking forward to purchasing this for 3rd grade :-)
Kelly, blessed mama to

TriciaMR

Scheduling?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:31 pm

kerby wrote:Would we be able to purchase the new Language book and use it the same was as PLL? IOW, would the scheduling be the same?
I'm guessing doing the new language book 3 days a week will work just like PLL. I think the whole point of upgrading PLL was to make it a little easier for *new* parents and to update some of the lessons to more modern lessons. Personally, I wouldn't upgrade PLL or ILL if I already had them and have been through them. I like the more formal language and "ancient" topics - they give my kids a good ear for listening to ESV or King James Bible versions.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(16), Charlie(12), and Trent(12)
2012-2013 - 1850MOD w/ 2nd/3rd supplement
2013-2014 - ECC w/ 7th/8th supplement
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
My blog

Brendainnj

Just received the new Language Lessons for Today

Unread post by Brendainnj » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:13 pm

I just received the new Language Lessons for Today...Grade 2. I didn't order the original one as I didn't think it would work for us. I'm very glad I didn't! This new one seems just right. We may use it right through next year since we started it late. I don't want to push through as I know my daughter would balk at that. There are things in it that we have already covered, but that's OK, since there is new stuff too--nouns, verbs, adjectives. So it's a nice mix of review & new topics.
Missy OH wrote:So this book is actually using the terminology -nouns, verbs, adjectives, etc? One of the things that bothered me about PLL over the years is that it simply wouldn't say that a naming word is a noun or a word that describes is an adjective.
Yes they are, but it is very brief. From what I can see, there is only one lesson for each of these; it's up to you to then continue to reinforce the teaching as you go through the book. It's not hard to do, but I actually would have preferred to have a little review thrown into the subsequent lessons. If it's not in the lesson, I'm afraid I'll forget to reinforce it! In each of the teaching lessons, it simply says that you will learn much more about (nouns, verbs, adjectives) when you're older. Of course there are tons of free worksheets available online as well, it just seems that these subjects could have been carried throughout the book more.
Missy OH wrote:Thanks Brenda! :)
~Brenda~

Mom to: Jadyn, Amber, Adam
MFW K 2011-2012
MFW 1st 2012-2013
Adventures 2013-2014

Julie in MN

Using PLL, should I order the new version?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:28 pm

lovehomeschooling wrote:I am trying to finish up my order for next year. My son is 7 in second grade. We are in lesson 42 of PLL, but I don't feel that he has gotten much out of it so far. We do pretty much everything oral because writing is frustrating for him. Maybe that is part of the problem?? He writes about three sentences plus phrases and words in All About Spelling each day, so he is still getting writing.

I really like the samples from the new Language Lessons for Today!! It looks much better! As I was looking at the table of contents, I think he would benefit by repeating some lessons. I"m just wondering if I would be better off restarting with Grade 2 LLFT and then moving to 3rd grade after that to make sure he is not missing anything. We school year round, so I don't think we'd have any problem finishing both by the end of next year. My other option is to finish the 2nd grade portion of PLL and then move on to LLFT 3rd grade in the fall.
You know, the recommendation has always been to go ahead and do the next grade, and keep the table of contents in mind for those times when you think your student might benefit from reviewing a certain topic from an earlier year. At those times, you'd look through the table of contents and find lessons on that topic that you might use as a refresher or a prep for the new lesson.

I think that method might work for you if you got the 3rd grade book and kept the current book on hand for those moments. As you use the new book, you might start to understand how to teach the lessons because there is a little more hand-holding in Marie's version. Then it might occur to you how to better use some of those previous PLL lessons you taught, if you find a topic that could use some review.

Would that work?
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

gratitude

Re: Using PLL, should I order the new version?

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:14 am

lovehomeschooling wrote:Hmmm, that could work. I guess I'm concerned because he is unsure when I ask him to answer in a complete sentence. I always have to give him an example and then he can. He can tell me which is a sentence and which is a phrase if I give him an example though. If we did do 2nd grade and then 3rd, I'd probably start 3rd in November, so I really don't think he'd end up behind.
I can share with you what I did do, and perhaps it will help?

I could relate to your son struggling with writing at age 7. My oldest did too at that age. The difference though was that since he is at the very oldest end of the grade he was in first grade doing MFW1 at age 7. I had to break copying the Proverbs into 3 days in order for him to complete the task. So I completely understand what you are talking about with writing struggles at that age. I did math orally until he was age 8.

When we did ADV and the first half of PLL my oldest was 8, since he was at that old end of the grade. A lot of the writing struggles went away around his 8th Birthday. So that fact helped me a lot when we started PLL. I found the writing in the first half of PLL, with the scripture copy work in ADV, and the note booking in ADV to be a combination that was instrumental in forwarding his writing that year and catching him up to grade level or higher. We did parts of PLL orally that year, but most of it I remember doing written. We also did All About Spelling that year; but it was the other writing that was instrumental in the progression forward.

I don't know if anything I said helped in your decision. I thought I would share though. If you do continue forward in PLL I would encourage you to do the writing when he is able. There is a lot to be learned about sentence structure from the copy work and dictation in that book; at least that is what I found. It also sounds like you have the time to go back and do the writing, when he is ready for it, if you decide to do so.

I hope this helps.

lovehomeschooling

Re: Using PLL, should I order the new version?

Unread post by lovehomeschooling » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:33 pm

Yes, that does help! My son made a similar jump when he turned 6 with reading. We struggled for a year with him not getting blending. All of a sudden, it was no big deal after he turned 6. I've been wondering if a similar jump will happen in writing and spelling. We are slowly starting to move faster in All About Spelling. Although he still complains, we don't have tears anymore for the notebook pages.

I think starting over from the beginning with LLFT might be the best thing. I really like the updates Marie did from PLL based on the samples.
DS10- MFW RTR, AAS3, Rightstart Math E, and Rosseta Stone Spanish
DD8- AAR 2, AAS 1, RS B, and Abeka Handwriting
DS6- MFW K, RS A, AAR 1, and Abeka HW
DS2- Tagging along
Used MFW K 2012, 2013, 2016 MFW 1st 2012, 2015 Adv 2013 ECC 2014 CTG 2015 RTR 2016

Colleen

Thank you for NEW Products!

Unread post by Colleen » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:26 am

gratitude wrote:I have a huge thank you for the new Language Lessons. The directions are clear. I know exactly what to do. They are so much easier to teach from than PLL was. I loved PLL, but these books that I started two weeks ago have quickly become a favorite subject for me to teach. They took the best out of PLL and re-did it in a way that truly makes sense. Thank you for all of the hard work that I am sure went into these two books. My secret (I guess not so secret anymore) hope is the same will happen for ILL.

I have seen MFW continue to grow since we first found it, and I really like where it is going with its product updates. Thank you! :-)
I wanted to let everyone know that Cathy Duffy has reviewed the new MFW PLL (a.k.a. Language Lessons for Today). If I can I will post the link here: http://cathyduffyreviews.com/grammar-co ... -today.htm I enjoyed reading her full review. Sounds like MFW has hit a home-run with it!
Colleen in MI
Wife to Dave (for almost 20 years) and Mom of four.
Currently doing:
US History to 1877 with 11th grade girl
Exp to 1850 (2nd time) with girls in 8th & 6th grades
First Grade (4th time) with only boy

lovehomeschooling

Re: Thank you for NEW Products!

Unread post by lovehomeschooling » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:11 pm

I also love the new Language Lessons for Today! So much easier to teach from! I feel like my son is getting much more out of the lessons now.
DS10- MFW RTR, AAS3, Rightstart Math E, and Rosseta Stone Spanish
DD8- AAR 2, AAS 1, RS B, and Abeka Handwriting
DS6- MFW K, RS A, AAR 1, and Abeka HW
DS2- Tagging along
Used MFW K 2012, 2013, 2016 MFW 1st 2012, 2015 Adv 2013 ECC 2014 CTG 2015 RTR 2016

Yodergoat

Re: Thank you for NEW Products!

Unread post by Yodergoat » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:15 am

Agreeing here! I love the new products and am excited to use them when we begin ECC this summer. I appreciate that the makers of MFW are not content to let their products just sit there getting stale but are always working hard to keep their curriculum the best it can be. :)
I'm Shawna...

kw4blessings

Loving Language Lessons for Today!

Unread post by kw4blessings » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:57 am

I just wanted to briefly mention how much we are enjoying the new Language Lessons for Today (3rd grade). We have only gotten several days into it, but it has been such a pleasure to use! I used PLL last year with my oldest, and while we enjoyed it, I didn't feel confident that I was using it to its full potential. The instructions and lessons in the new LLFT are so clear and well laid out! I'm SO pleased.

Just thought I'd pass along this plug. I was hesitant at first to pay for another resource when we already owned PLL, but I'm so happy I did. :-)

Is there any news yet on similar revised books for ILL? Looking ahead to next year. Fingers crossed! ;)
Kelly, blessed mama to

Yodergoat

Re: Loving Language Lessons for Today!

Unread post by Yodergoat » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:28 pm

We are enjoying it also, 5 weeks into third grade! I love the size of the book, the spiral binding and the clear directions. It's a very nice upgrade.
I'm Shawna...

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:11 pm

We have really liked it too. We have use PLL for the last 7 years on 3 different learners. I really like PLL but LLFT is really user friendly! We are using the 2nd grade version. I can not wait till they do the upper grades as I have a 2nd, 4th, 6th currently doing language Lessons with 3 more trailing behind!
Vicki
12 years homeschooling my 7,
2017/2018 K, 1st, RTR, and AHL

Missy OH

Unread post by Missy OH » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:43 am

We are starting Language Lesson for Today, today. We've also used PLL/Ill and LLfT is so nice. Definitely worth buying even though I had PLL already.

kw4blessings

Ordering Adventures Soon, Advice Please

Unread post by kw4blessings » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:47 am

kewkew34 wrote: I am going to be doing Adventures with my 2nd grader and 3rd grader. I have been doing 1st with them together (supplementing for my 2nd grader).

I am trying to figure out what to get for Language Arts. We have been supplementing 1st grade with some materials we have gotten by being on the Review Crew for The Old Schoolhouse Magazine. I am not sure if I would need to purchase anything for Language Arts. Any help would be appreciated
If you are happy with what you are currently using for Language Arts, then there is no need to switch. MFW's recommendations for 2nd and 3rd grade LA include Language Lessons for Today (2 and 3) as well as separate spelling programs. MFW does add a cursive workbook in 3rd.

However, that being said, I cannot say enough good things about Language Lessons for Today. These books are a modern update to Primary Language Lessons and follow the same gentle, Charlotte Mason style. My daughter and I enjoy these lessons so much! We often do the lessons orally and she still gets a lot from each. She especially enjoys the poetry...something I never connected with as a student, but am enjoying along with her. :) So, if you're not thrilled with what you're using and you'd like to try the switch, I'd highly recommend it. If you do, add spelling for both and optional cursive for your 3rd grader. Blessings!
Kelly, blessed mama to

MFW-Marie

Announcing -- Language Lessons for Today Grade 4

Unread post by MFW-Marie » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:49 am

Language Lessons for Today, Grade 4 is NOW AVAILABLE!

You can see sample pages of Grade 2, Grade 3, and Grade 4 on our website.
http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/21/Language-Arts/

We're excited about this series, and would like to share comments from some of the pilot families about Language Lessons for Today.
----------------------
  • The more I do them, the more I like them! I am such a fan of language lessons! They are interesting, not too long, have a good variety, and can easily be done orally or written, and are just so flexible. I don't know why anyone wouldn't do them!
    Jennifer

My favorite thing about LLT is the thoroughness yet simplicity of the lessons. I also like the classic poems, literature selections, and artwork interwoven in the lessons.
    I really can't think of anything that I don't like about LLT. We breeze right through and have had no problems so far.
    Megan

Congratulations on a task WELL DONE!!! We celebrate with you!! And I want to say a huge THANK YOU for the joy of the excitement in the air when I announce that it is time to pull out the Language Arts. 
    My daughter loves it! (and that I do as well). It is a very simple, yet complete book of lessons. I only wish it would've been available when my two oldest were this age.
    We took a two week vacation from school for various reasons. Several times during the vacation time our daughter said she can’t wait to start school again, because she misses her English. Isn’t that great?
    I support you greatly with gently introducing nouns, etc at this age and making it fun, then not pushing the issue continuously. I remember doing them over and over and over in school.

Bonnie

This book is my son's favorite part of our school time! The lessons are brief and filled with interesting knowledge. My son is learning by the most natural means! He's learning simply because he's being exposed to interesting lessons, skillfully created with the purpose of teaching language rules. He's delighted with the wide variety of things he's learning, and he's so interested in what he's hearing and seeing that he doesn't even realize he's learning!
    Ami

I have used many other LA programs as I helped my sister instruct her three boys. Other LA programs are time intensive for either the teacher/parent and the students. There was much busy work in the other programs OR the assignments gave the students the answers somewhere on the workbook page without requiring the students to internalize and think for themselves (critical thinking). LLT gently introduces the concepts that students will need to be successful communicators both in the written word and orally. The lessons are concise and direct but require the student to think critically to answer the questions. The lessons are fun and easy. Finally a LA program WITHOUT TEARS! I cannot tell you how wonderful that is. There is a confidence that I have from working through these lessons that my daughter is receiving the information to be a successful communicator.
    Mary Lou

Yodergoat

Re: Announcing -- Language Lessons for Today Grade 4

Unread post by Yodergoat » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:32 am

I just received the new Language Lessons for Today Grade 4 and have looked through it... love it! It is absolutely beautiful and has such rich content. I am really looking forward to using it when we resume school.

Thanks, MFW, for always improving and for making it easier to answer our calling as homeschoolers!
I'm Shawna...

klewfor3

LLFT for 5th grade soon?

Unread post by klewfor3 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:29 am

The new updates and format for have been great! Thanks for the time invested in making a good thing even better.
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

kw4blessings

Re: LLFT for 5th grade soon?

Unread post by kw4blessings » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:47 pm

We absolutely love LLFT. Still crossing my fingers for a surprise release of LLFT grade 5! ;)

Kelly
Kelly, blessed mama to

tiffanys

Re: LLFT for 5th grade soon?

Unread post by tiffanys » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:28 pm

We LOVE LLfT. LOVE IT. We tried the original books and quit, but the new versions are amazing.

Last week I went to convention and looked at EVERYTHING and there is just no comparison. I just LOVE LOVE LOVE it so much!

Language Lessons for Today is just so lovely! Thanks, Marie, for creating this fantastic resources!
Tiffany
Having a great year with Adventures with my two older boys - 3rd & 1st grades
With the world's chattiest 4 year old boy & his 2 year old sister tagging along