Spelling - Why two spelling recommendations?

Copywork, Cursive, Dictation, Grammar, Handwriting, Letter Writing, Memory Work, Narration, Read-Alouds, Spelling, Vocabulary, & Writing (many of these topics apply to other subjects such as Bible, History, and Science)
Joyhomeschool

Re: Why not continue with Rod and Staff Spelling?

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:00 am

We did R&S spelling till 6th grade with my dd and in the end it became unnecessary busy work. By the time I got dd to 6th grade I had 4 students and needed less time spent on spelling. So I went to Spelling Power and the activity cards.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

Colleen

Re: Why not continue with Rod and Staff Spelling?

Unread post by Colleen » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:02 pm

I know I'm chiming in a little late here, but I guess I will anyhow. One of my dds wanted to go back to Rod & Staff for spelling because she liked the workbook idea. She used it for 5th grade. The one thing I noticed is that it took more of my time. Grading her workbook seemed more time consuming than just doing the Spelling Power lessons. The next year she was ok with returning to Spelling Power.
Colleen in MI
Wife to Dave (for almost 20 years) and Mom of four.
Currently doing:
US History to 1877 with 11th grade girl
Exp to 1850 (2nd time) with girls in 8th & 6th grades
First Grade (4th time) with only boy

ruthamelia

Spelling by sound and structure. "So easy"

Unread post by ruthamelia » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:23 pm

Sallylourn wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:39 pm
This is my first week of homeschooling, so maybe I'm jumping the gun a little, but my 2nd grader thinks the spelling book is way too easy for her. Last year, she was in a Christian school, and her spelling book was much more advanced, and she was easily getting 100% on almost all her tests. She even won her spelling bee at school, albeit with a very small class.

I don't know if I should keep going or try something else. I have Spelling Power for my 5th grader but haven't started it yet. Can I try that with her, or would it be too hard? I don't want to waste her time all year doing something way too easy for her, but then I don't want to waste money not using the book that I bought. Any suggestions?
Welcome to homeschooling!

I'm going to give you a "what I would do in your shoes" answer, but I hope you will get some other opinions because I'm guessing not everyone would agree with me.

Spelling skills seem to come naturally to a lot of kids from lots of exposure to written words. The more kids read, the more they seem to get an intuitive understanding of spelling. When my niece was in second grade her spelling was atrocious. She also didn't respond well to learning spelling (trying to say that nicely!). We ended up not doing spelling the rest of second grade, and also skipped third grade which was when she started reading a LOT. She did Spelling Power last year during 4th grade and was well above grade level. I'm glad we skipped spelling for those two years.

Another anecdote that might be closer to your daughter: my nephew has always been a natural speller, as it sounds like your daughter might be. We never really bothered to do spelling with him because it seemed a little pointless. He was such a good speller on his own that it was easy to just correct the occasional misspelling in his writing. He used Spelling Power last year during 6th grade- the first time we have formally done any spelling. He started very high in the levels and is nearly finished with the book.

If you do decide to use Spelling Power, I would suggest getting started with your older child first, since there is a learning curve to the method. It would probably be easier to add the second grader once you've used it for about a month and have a good handle on how it works.

I hope the rest of your first week goes well!!
Kids in school: 14, 12, 10, 7, 6, 4, 3
We have used: K, First, all Investigate years
2018-2019: First, ECC, AHL

MelissaB

Re: Spelling by sound and structure. "So easy"

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi, Sarah ~

I agree with Ruthamelia. We've used Spelling Power for several years, and it sounds like it could be a good fit for her.

S.P. tests the student before she begins to let you know which "level" she should start on.

Since she's a strong speller, I would probably forego much of the hands-on activities and just do the daily activities to learn any "missed" words.

Whatever spelling curriculum you choose, they're all really very good. You can't make a "wrong" choice. Just see what curriculum fits your daughter the best, and go from there! :)

Enjoy!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Sallylourn

Unread post by Sallylourn » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:06 pm

Thank you both for your input. I think I will wait until my son has a good start in Spelling Power and I figure out how it works, and I'll continue on in her current spelling for now.
Sarah, wife of Steve
Mom of Timothy (12), Talia (9), Violet (5), and Lydia (2)
2016-2017 ECC (first year homeschooling)
2017-2018 CTG and VOD
2018-2019 RTR and K

Kingdomgirl

Unread post by Kingdomgirl » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:36 pm

Spelling by Sound and Structure isn't always about the words. If you look into each "Part" they master certain aspects of spelling. Spelling isn't just about spelling, but decoding through phonetics, syllables, vocabulary. So the work is what needs to be mastered as well, not just spelling a word. If you find ALL parts are too easy, then you may want to move up a level.

Christy - Staff

Unread post by Christy - Staff » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:45 am

Hi Sarah,

What a great gift to have such a natural speller! Children all come to the spelling lessons with different abilities. You've received some great ideas here already. (A special thanks to those who answered! Your encouragement is a blessing.)

I want to add a little more information about why we chose Spelling by Sound and Structure. Years ago, when we first introduced Spelling Power, we found that it worked well beginning at third grade; the methodology often frustrated second graders. Spelling by Sound and Structure is quick, encouraging, and low-stress -- appropriate for a second grader's maturity level. Instead of the usual full-page daily work, only half a page is completed each day. We especially like the built-in review of phonics concepts, which increases in difficulty over the year, to reinforce phonics details that may not be mastered yet.

With an advanced second grader: We still recommend using Spelling by Sound and Structure, but use the pages to focus on penmanship. When lessons are easy for a student, you can ask for their very best handwriting. In addition, as the year progresses, you may find that the phonics review will catch a few concepts that weren’t quite understood before.

Now to address Spelling Power for a 2nd grader. The author of Spelling Power suggests waiting to begin until 3rd grade and we agree. Many children who start before 3rd grade are not successful and feel discouraged because the method has them work through word lists until they make mistakes. Often 2nd graders find it hard to “fail.” Since your child is already an advanced speller, there’s no reason to overload her with spelling words she may not be familiar with.

I hope this helps you understand ways to use the materials that you have purchased with your student.
Have a blessed year,
Christy
Christy Callahan - MFW Customer Service Team Lead
Wife to Mike (homeschooling dad)
Mom to 5 blessings and foster mom to many

Sallylourn

Unread post by Sallylourn » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:46 pm

After talking to her about it, it turns out she likes having easy spelling words that she already knows. I guess if she's happy with it, I won't worry about it. Thank you for all the feedback. We are enjoying our year so far and so glad we found MFW!
Sarah, wife of Steve
Mom of Timothy (12), Talia (9), Violet (5), and Lydia (2)
2016-2017 ECC (first year homeschooling)
2017-2018 CTG and VOD
2018-2019 RTR and K