Outlining in MFW?

Copywork, Cursive, Dictation, Grammar, Handwriting, Letter Writing, Memory Work, Narration, Read-Alouds, Spelling, Vocabulary, & Writing (many of these topics apply to other subjects such as Bible, History, and Science)
cbollin

Outlining in MFW?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:26 am

RB wrote:Just curious...is outlining specifically taught in MFW? I remember hearing a writing talk that emphasized outlining as a key skill for middle grades. I'm not sure I feel the need to make it a huge part of our Language Arts, but I did wonder if it was taught at all. Thanks :)
various places I've seen in mfw stuff with outlining:

ILL - starts around lesson 3 or 5. something like that.

Writing Strands encourages students to organize paragraphs (one form of outlining)

1850MOD, SOTW activity book, lots and lots and lots of outlining and writing from outline.

for apologia general/physical books etc. students can "outline" as they make their vocab notes from the bold things in the text.

I've learned over the years there are a few definitions/expectations when people hear the word outlining. So, in MFW you will not find one definition/expectation: that's the one where student makes a key word outline from an existing paragraph and then rewrites sentences from that outline.

-crystal

NJCheryl

Re: Outlining

Unread post by NJCheryl » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:38 pm

There is also outlining in WS

Cheryl

s_duguid

Unread post by s_duguid » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:59 pm

I was wondering the same thing in the progression of middle school/grades. Another homeschool mom was telling me she had her kids outline Apologia General Science this year. I was noticing the SOTW activity book has the older students outlining.

We've done some of the outlining assignments in ILL, but haven't created outlines necessarily in WS yet (just used the suggested outlines.)

Can someone explain the value of outlining your textbook reading? How many subjects should you include? History and science? How often? How detailed? What age to start? Is this a particular school of thought, i.e. classical approach?
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:28 pm

s_duguid wrote:Can someone explain the value of outlining your textbook reading? How many subjects should you include? History and science? How often? How detailed? What age to start? Is this a particular school of thought, i.e. classical approach?
I think outlining is mostly associated with SWB of The Well Trained Mind (author of SOTW), who considers herself a classical homeschooler. I think she finds outlining to be a key method for history lessons, and she starts it around middle elementary and uses it every year after that? It's been a while since I've read TWTM so I could be off. There are some classical type homeschoolers here on the MFW board who can probably tell you more.

Outlining can mean different things, and in some cases can be no more than taking logical notes. Writing from an outline is a higher skill (at least if the outline has good organization) and can be similar to creating a notebook page based on taking logical notes. Some of that happened naturally at our house when I wanted to ramp up my youngest son's accurate details in his MFW notebooking.

However, the outlining created by SWB in her SOTW-4 Activity Books is a little different than the "logical notes" method. It involves selecting a few passages that have several details, in order to practice creating the multi-level style outline. It isn't really outlining the entire chapter in order to write a complete summary, but maybe it's a step towards that end.

All that is to say that outlining can be many things, and even within that, it can be practiced in many limited ways. As mentioned, WS and ILL do some of that. The main goal is to build organization skills for the ideas that are read & written about, which is a great help when you get to high school.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

HSmommi2mine

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:48 pm

The point of outlining:

Outlining for a text is a great study tool and it also gets the student looking at the structure of writing, especially the structure of academic writing.
In addition, students will soon be doing their own longer academic writing and will need to create pre-writing outlines to assist in getting all of the information in a good flowing, logical order.

I have found that outlining is pretty simple, both kinds are valuable and it isn't hard to learn or teach. The hardest thing is getting a child to recognize the main idea of a section in a text. If you have been following Classical and CM methods for any length of time prior to teaching outlining, your students will have had practice with that though.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids