Reading - 2nd-8th grade skills, comprehension

Copywork, Cursive, Dictation, Grammar, Handwriting, Letter Writing, Memory Work, Narration, Read-Alouds, Spelling, Vocabulary, & Writing (many of these topics apply to other subjects such as Bible, History, and Science)
cbollin

Re: Reading Comprehension?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:01 am

I can remember way back when....... when oldest was doing summer reading programs at the library. The librarians would just ask "well... what did you like?" or Mary F would sometimes get this look of "ooh.. that's one of my favorites. I like the part when ______."

but if you need ideas on narration with the assigned readings (history books, etc), maybe this article will help?

http://www.squidoo.com/narration

narration is simply telling it back.... don't feel like you have to ask every question every time.... or worry too much if a major point is missed. they'll get older and more things will start to make sense.

but I'm with you.... don't think honors English where Mrs. (english teacher) turned every page into "tell me the symbolism" of this. roll eyes..... I got her good one day... I brought in an article her husband had written for the local newspaper (he was sports editor). Symbolism -- Tech wins! life is good. LOL LOL LOL

-crystal

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:36 am

cbollin wrote: but I'm with you.... don't think honors English where Mrs. (english teacher) turned every page into "tell me the symbolism" of this. roll eyes..... I got her good one day... I brought in an article her husband had written for the local newspaper (he was sports editor). Symbolism -- Tech wins! life is good. LOL LOL LOL

-crystal
8[] 8[]

Thank you ladies for the links and advice. All of it really helped lead my thinking forward so I can do a better job in this area. :-)

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:07 pm

Caryn,

It's funny you brought this up yesterday... I was wondering myself if my dyslexic son was really understanding the stories he was reading to me, so today I asked him to "retell me the story in your own words" when he finished his story for reading time, and he did a really good job. Didn't quite get the "moral of the story" but he was able to retell with the characters and what happened, and who said what (for the most part), and he remembered a little detail I had forgotten. I had been concerned that he wasn't always comprehending when I was reading history because his narrations were so short (or, if I asked "What do you remember about so-and-so?" he'd always just tell me "so-and-so died <insert however he died>"), and then with his dyslexia, I wasn't sure if he was really comprehending what he was reading. But, I feel like he is, and that he just seems to latch on to death, so I've changed my questions... :-) ;)

Anyhow, we've been very informal about "comprehension." If my kids tell me they really liked (or didn't like) a book or a story, I ask them what about it made them like it or not. My oldest usually gets "the point" of stories (she's a 6th grader). My little guys usually just get the facts. But, I figure the rest will come along...

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:42 am

I GOT IT! :-)

Sometimes, like my kids, I need soak time on learning. I have been mulling on and off over narration / learning with MFW/ etc. for about a year now. I know narration in its basic form is fairly simple, but I tend to over think things & think them through until I come up with a full picture of what I am really trying to achieve. ;)

So I was re-reading through some of the links this morning, and it suddenly fully clicked for me. The MFW version for all of their approaches to reading and reading comprehension in the catalogue fully clicked for me.

It seems to me that it is as much about discussion and letting them ask questions and engaging them in questions and having them tell the information so that they can fully understand and engage with the information and thus learn it.

I GET IT!

Thank you ladies. Your answers yesterday really helped me think this through and finally get a full picture in my mind of how this can work. I can finally visualize it.

Oh happy happy day today! :-)

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Yay! Happy dance! I love it when it clicks - for me and the kids!

Periodically, I lose sight of what the objective is - what is it I'm trying to accomplish here with this math assignment, or this particular curriculum or what are we doing narration for again, anyway? I always find it EXTREMELY helpful to go back and read what Charlotte Mason herself said about narration - what it is, how and why it's done, what age to start, when/how to transition from oral to written, etc. That never fails to bring me back to, "Oh yeah, I remember now - it's about THIS. And I can do it." (THIS can be a little different from family to family or from age to age of student, so I'm leaving that vague. :)

If you haven't read Charlotte Mason's original writings, I highly recommend them - you can read them for free, in original or modern translation at ambleside online website. Other very helpful books for me have been "For the Children's Sake," "A Charlotte Mason Companion" (LOVE this one!) "A Charlotte Mason Education" and "More Charlotte Mason Education." If you're looking for something to do in all your spare time, and you haven't gotten to those yet. ;)

In the meantime, Hooray for Lightbulb Moments!

:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

cbollin

reading 3rd grade

Unread post by cbollin » Mon May 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Ohmomjacquie wrote:What do you all use for reading? I know mfw given suggestions but I think I'm wanting more of a schedule to follow. Any ideas? Will most likely get books from the library and not worried about doing all the comp questions. I think that zapped the love of reading out of my dd this year. :~ Anyway I guess I'm just nervous about not having a structure to our reading. Tia
I use book basket.

It's scheduled. we read what we like. some of it we don't finish. some we do..... I don't even bother with the "general list" of classics anymore.....

-crystal

momxnine

Re: reading 3rd grade

Unread post by momxnine » Mon May 07, 2012 4:06 pm

Same here, book basket for the most part. :) If by some chance there's extra time during the day for reading, then mine just pick a book off of our shelves (we have LOTS of books of all genre). At the beginning of the year, I was using Pathway Readers in the "reading" block, but it almost seemed like too much for my 10 year old since he's not a huge reader. My 13 year old reads all the time, so I don't usually even add anything to his block.
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Mon May 07, 2012 4:10 pm

The last couple of years we have gotten the Pathway readers to use during the reading block in the TM. They are nice little grade level readers with wholesome stories. I have my dd read them aloud to me, she is in 2nd grade this year. She does plenty of silent reading with book basket and free time reading, so I use this time to check her fluency and pronunciations and such. I don't really do any comprehension questions with it. I figure she gets enough of that with history/narrations.
Anyway, I really like using something like the Pathway readers so that I know she is progressing well throughout the year in this subject.
For my older kids I have used Drawn into the Heart of Reading pretty successively. I find I just need some thing to keep me accountable in this area, otherwise some of my kids would choose not to read, or pick way too easy of books, etc... :~

HTH, Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

momonthemove

Unread post by momonthemove » Mon May 07, 2012 4:48 pm

I will have a 3rd grader next year too. We will use some book basket for reading time. But, my son has started reading the Boxcar Children. He will have a chapter assigned a day from that. At least one, maybe 2.

Oldest brother (7th grader) reads before bed. He is on the Kane Chronicles Series. I haven't read them but will start soon> A friend recommended them.

Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon May 07, 2012 5:08 pm

LIke Dawn, we use Pathway Readers and Abeka readers. Stories are good and wholesome...

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon May 07, 2012 10:50 pm

We also use Pathway Readers for my girls to read aloud to me for 10 minutes a day for fluency and elocution. We alternate this with Burgess Adventure books or Arthur Scott Bailey nature readers and Reading Literature Readers by Treadwell. Otherwise, their independent reading time is book basket and/or chapter books chosen by me and on a central bookshelf. I consider book basket to be scheduled by week/topic so it's easy to keep rotating them through, but having our standard "readers" keeps me on task, too.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue May 08, 2012 10:08 am

Ohmomjacquie wrote:What do you all use for reading? I know mfw given suggestions but I think I'm wanting more of a schedule to follow.
You do have a MFW schedule, in that there is a box on every grid that says reading, and makes you notice and want to jot something in there! Monday: chap. 1.
LOL.

Over the 3rd-8th grade years, I just expected my son to have a book or a chapter of a book to put in there.

Since we started homeschooling with ECC, we got a lot of ideas from there. Even though my ds was a strong reader, he hated to read and so he loved that he could read picture books and fairy tales he'd never heard in the rich ECC book basket, and then the Anatole series and the Nate the Great series, which were so fun. As we went through the history cycle, he never had a desire to read more history. In CTG, he felt like the Bible was the true history, so why read anything else LOL. So after ECC, I would help him select funny books or mystery books or whatever he seemed to take an interest in. Then around 6-8th, I started introducing the easiest classics from the lists in the back of the manuals and a few history-related biographies and such.

So those are some ideas and a schedule :)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Ohmomjacquie

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Tue May 08, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks for all the ideas ladies. Trying to stay away from "readers " I did notice the reading blocks in the schedule but I guess I'm not used to the "read what you want" style!
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

ivparker

Unread post by ivparker » Wed May 23, 2012 2:52 pm

I wanted to just add that Sonlight does have readers per grade. I used them for second grade and it was really good. Basically it is a schedule that you can buy for $6.99 (they have another one that is $39.99 but I think it has a lot of L.Arts that we wouldn't be needing in MFW) and it has the title of the book and what to read each day. It also has a few comprehension questions that you can ask your child. I did sometimes but not always. You can buy all the books or check them out from the library. I love checking out things from the library and do so for Book Basket books but for whatever reason it felt easier to have the readers on hand so I didn't have to think about checking them out.

Ivanna

Julie in MN

4th grade dd struggling with reading comprehension

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:41 pm

ktbrooks wrote:Hi all. My dd is in 4th grade and struggles with reading comprehension. She goes up to our public school for special ed services for language delays. She can read the words, but best I can discern, she does not seem to make pictures in her mind of what is being read. She has a very hard time answering questions about what I've read out loud to her - narration type activities. Some of her answers are not even close much of the time. I don't know whether it's an attention issue or actually comprehending. She does slightly better when reading silently to herself. If you know of any great books, websites, articles, etc., I'd appreciate it.
It might help to know which program you're using, maybe ECC? And PLL/Language Lessons?

Anyways, I think I'd go back to smaller and smaller bites until you can find something she can succeed at. Maybe have her narrate after one sentence. I'd even consider stopping after one clause - for example, reading a few words about the place and then stopping to talk about where the story takes place -- in the back yard? Wonder whose back yard it is, did we every hear about it before, is there an illustration? Then the next clause, maybe reading about who is there, and stop to name the person out loud -- a little girl? Do we know her name? Etc.

Sometimes these situations are just a matter of the student gaining an understanding of how to do something. We can model what is usually done by a student. In a classroom setting, kids could watch one another to figure out how they're supposed to be responding, but our kids only have us.

I've also tutored kids who are super-social and could answer very well if they'd just slow down and pay attention, but they are hyper-aware of all the social scenarios going on around them. Training habits of the mind is also worthwhile, and you don't even have to pay a tutor :)

My youngest son was very movement-oriented. He "heard me" better if he was rolling on a giant exercise ball or, I admit, even just rolling on the floor. These kids might also benefit from doing the hands-on portions of MFW first, and then when you discuss the reading, you can connect with the things they learned "with their bodies."

She is still young, better to stop and spend the time on habits and understanding rather than on lots of content which she is unlikely to remember forever anyways. Or, you can always spread some of the content into the next year, if you have it and you value it, while you take your time now on connecting with her where she's at.

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

ktbrooks

Re: 4th grade dd struggling with reading comprehension

Unread post by ktbrooks » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:06 pm

Thanks Julie. That's helpful. I homeschool with a friend 4 days a week, so I can't always go that slow. She has a dd the same age and I do math, First Language Lessons, and Writing with Ease with the two of them. On our own, I'm using Pathway Readers and workbooks for reading - just finished what is supposed to be 2nd grade level today. It has basic comprehension questions that she really struggles with. I went back to 2nd grade level with WWE (narration/dictation), and that continues to be challenging (had been using 3rd grade level).

I like your idea of stopping every phrase or so. Will try that. Thanks for taking time to respond

DS4home

Re: 4th grade dd struggling with reading comprehension

Unread post by DS4home » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:53 pm

I have a dd who also received therapy for language delays. She doesn't anymore, but I still notice it at times in her. She is in 5th grade this year.

She definitely had a disconnect from her ears to her brain. It was very hard for her to hear something and then recall it. She did better when she could read it with her own eyes. But even then it just didn't stick in her brain very easily. She also had a difficult time getting the words she wanted to say to come out correctly. Her mind grappled at trying to find the word for .... and she would just fill it in with some weird word that made no sense to me! Sometimes later, I could figure out the connection as to why she used that word and it was usually way out of context. :~

I am just going to reiterate what Julie said. Take it in much smaller chunks. I was stopping after almost every sentence in 2nd grade to ask her a question about it or just have her tell it back to me. It makes lessons drag on forever it seems, but so worth the effort for our young ones. Eventually I could read 3,4, and 5 sentences before stopping. Sometimes it helps to scan the next sentence or two before you read it. Then tell her what the question will be before you read. That way she can be listening for the answer as you read, and be ready with her answer when you are done.

In 3rd grade we had built up to paragraphs, slowly but surely. I had a special die that she rolled after reading. Each side had a word like who, where, when, etc. She got to roll the die, then I asked a question based on what she rolled. Creating a "game like" atmosphere made the work of it a little more fun. And it really is work!

For my dd we had to work at building some of those connections in her brain that just were not there. Teaching her brain how to hold on to information. Even playing games like putting items on the table and letting her look. Then have her close her eyes and take one away. She has to try to figure out what is missing. That game will help her brain build memory connections that will help later with reading comprehension. I had to have her repeat instructions back to me quite often. When she could do this, I was much more assured she would be able to follow through.

You are doing the right thing in getting her help now, while she is still in the grade school years. She will improve with some focused effort in this one area. The best thing you can do is meet her where she is at and build from there.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1