Handwriting - Adding this as a subject?

Copywork, Cursive, Dictation, Grammar, Handwriting, Letter Writing, Memory Work, Narration, Read-Alouds, Spelling, Vocabulary, & Writing (many of these topics apply to other subjects such as Bible, History, and Science)
cbollin

Handwriting - Adding this as a subject?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri May 07, 2010 6:12 am

shawnaandmatt wrote:Also - is there no handwriting curricula used by MFW? Both of my kids have decent penmanship but don't most people use some sort of writing practice?
Handwriting...

in K and 1st, handwriting is included. no additional workbook needed.

For the K aged student, most of the handwriting comes each day in various forms. You get the multisensory approach and then then the worksheets.

The instructions for letter formation are part of the K manual.

MFW approaches handwriting in K using multisensory methods.
There are some "non paper handwriting" practice "worksheets" (for lack of a better term) before doing the paper worksheets, which are these
http://www.mfwbooks.com/pages/php/sampl ... heets.html

MFW does hands on stuff with tactile methods, and also tracing the Lauri lowercase letters. Some of the hidden handwriting worksheets will be when the student builds a word on the blend ladder and then traces the words before writing them on the side. There are some number practice worksheets,
cut and paste pages -- can be either cut and paste, or as child's skill progress, they can copy the word
And then the write/draw word....
So you won't need an extra handwriting book, unless for some reason your child would just want/need it for other reasons.

1st grade - handwriting instruction in the intro days, then practice all year with Proverbs verses and other workbooks.

2nd grade - practice in regular school work, and in the spelling workbook too

3rd grade - that's when MFW recommends to teach cursive.

TriciaMR

Handwriting?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:59 pm

disneymommy wrote:We've been using A Reason for Handwriting. I'm wondering if I do ECC with LLFT (and spelling - not sure which - and [a writing program]) whether I should still purchase a handwriting curriculum? Or is there enough copywork built into ECC and LLFT? This is for second and fourth grades.
There is handwriting review the first 3 weeks of ECC to work on each letter of the alphabet. Then there is verse copy work and dictation every week, plus you can have them copy the character qualities out of Hero Tales.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

disneymommy

Re: Handwriting?

Unread post by disneymommy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:02 pm

Okay, thanks! They really aren't loving A Reason For Handwriting. So I think I'd rather not spend the money on a curriculum if we don't have to.

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:06 pm

Yes, there is plenty of copy work in ECC and Language Lessons for 4th & 2nd grades that another handwriting program is not needed. The only handwriting program I have added to MFW is to learn cursive or Italic in 3rd grade. Once it is learned I have them use it in all their written work for 4th. My ds8 is currently learning cursive 10 minutes a day as part of his language arts.

disneymommy

Unread post by disneymommy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:16 pm

Thanks! Glad to know I won't need it. My oldest actually learned cursive in second grade at school, and she is doing a cursive book this year for handwriting. But other than handwriting time, she never uses it. I always forget to have her use cursive in her other work!!