SP - Help with using the CD, including MAC users

Copywork, Cursive, Dictation, Grammar, Handwriting, Letter Writing, Memory Work, Narration, Read-Alouds, Spelling, Vocabulary, & Writing (many of these topics apply to other subjects such as Bible, History, and Science)
cbollin

SP - Help with using the CD, including MAC users

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:49 pm

Teacher Resource CD Instructions

Don't worry, I puzzled over it too --not all of the icons showed up on my desktop and I was just as confused :) The dig tutor shows up, but where' the rest of it?

From start menu (as in your windows start menu)
click on all programs
you should be able to find Spelling Power as a category
move mouse over top of Spelling Power category
you should get 3 options: digital tutor, printable resources, searchable word list.

I have limited experience with digital tutor at this point. It does require manual input. Haven't looked at the searchable word list. But Printable resource has the other things in it. Once installed, I don't need to have the actual CD in the drive anymore.

-crystal

meagabby

MAC?

Unread post by meagabby » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:15 pm

ShanMom wrote:Does anyone know if the CD -rom for Spelling Power will work on a MAC? I can't seem to get anything from it, so I'm thinking maybe it's designed for PC. Any help appreciated :)
I have the 4th edition and on page xii indicates they do not have plans to make the Digital Tutor or the Searchable Word List available for Macs, BUT the Teacher's Printable Resources section can be used on Windows or Mac computers.

I don't know ANYthing about Macs, but it states that if they cd does not automatically start up, then go to My Computer, double click on the DC drive, then double click on SPInstaller. So maybe that will work for you.

Lainie

Re: MAC?

Unread post by Lainie » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:06 pm

Hi ShanMom,
I'm a MAC girl too. No, I wasn't able to use the CD-ROM. But we've loved Spelling Power and had a successful year last year without it.

If I feel like I need forms I will use dh PC and print from his.

Sorry-not much help
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

ShanMom

Unread post by ShanMom » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:06 pm

Okay, no problem! I will just go to a friends to get what I need from the CD. Thanks!
Pastor's wife and mom to three (Girl 8, Boy 6, and Girl 2 ... using Adventures and 1st Grade)

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:37 pm

I really do not think you need the forms. You can just use Marie's idea in the manual with the spiral notebook. You will end up having to run off a form for every day.

We never used the forms. We have the old version of SP, but I saw the forms on a CD and we just stuck to the spiral notebook. It's worked well for our family at least.

I am sorry you are having trouble accessing them though so you could at least see them.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

MJP

How do you use SP digital tutor?

Unread post by MJP » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:15 am

LSH in MS wrote:I am doing SP with my oldest son. I was wondering how you used the digital tutor in the SP process. Also, do you have to have a microphone for it to work?
I love this, although there have been a couple of glitches. I could not get it to work consistently with Vista. The problem was solved (as their were other software issues) when we just had our computer switched back to XP. I have had mine for a couple of years, so the glitches may be fixed. I also have not been able to put abbreviations in (due to the period) or nouns consisting of two words. Otherwise, it has been great.

I type my child's list in over the weekend. Then they are on their own. (I know, I know--that is not the Spelling Power way. Do I get a break since I have 7 children?) Yes, you need a microphone. You call out the words (and you can even say them in a sentence if you like). The microphone records them; this is how the children know what words to type in. There is a learn section where the word appears for them just to type it in as written, a drill section (they type the word called out), and a test section. I love the fact that immediately after any of these the child has the option to practice the ones they missed. One other glitch is that at least during the drill section if they accidentally hit the wrong key they could not correct it. My children may have figured out how to get past this as they have not complained about it lately. I will ask them (The two oldest are gone this weekend to visit family friends.)

This has been a lifesaver for me. Everyone loves spelling, and much time has been saved. In our case it has not affected learning and mastery, except for the better.
Melissa
Wife of 1 for 18 yrs. Mom of 7--ages 1-15--1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th and 9th grades & (one on the way)
Psalm 16:8
Currently using--1850 to Modern Times
Previously--MFW K , 1st, CtoG, RTR, Exp. to 1850

MJP

Unread post by MJP » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:17 pm

Jenn in NC wrote:YES!!! You get a break since you have seven kids. :)

A couple of questions... do you use the tutor for 2nd grade and up? And do you use this exclusively (iow, no more calling out spelling lists for every kid, every day -- just one time per kid, over the weekend, you record it into the program -- right?)
I am using Spelling Power with the 5th, 8th, and 9th graders. And I used it for fourth last year. I would also consider third, but probably not second as I am still watching the particular mistakes they are making and correcting on the spot. I am currently using something else with my 1st and 2nd graders. So, yes, I am still calling out words to the youngers as they are learning the building blocks of spelling, but once they are on their way it is digital tutor all the way.

Yes, for the 5th, 8th, and 9th graders, no more calling out lists.

You can type in any word lists you want into digital tutor. For example, the oldest two use Vocabulary Cartoons. There are tests in the book for meanings, but I put the words in digital tutor so that they learn to spell them also. That way they are more likely to use them in their writing. We have also put our Latin on, and just this week, my oldest requested that I put the Apologia Biology vocabulary on the digital tutor so that he would be able to learn to spell those as well.
Melissa
Wife of 1 for 18 yrs. Mom of 7--ages 1-15--1st, 2nd, 5th, 8th and 9th grades & (one on the way)

MJP

Unread post by MJP » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:45 am

LSH in MS wrote:I didn't realize it was to replace the daily testing with your student. I thought it was somehow for reinforcement.
I am using it the way I chose to. I do not think the intent was to replace daily testing. That is just how it has worked out at our house for the older children. We often do not use curriculum as it was intended.
sewardmom wrote:Is this something with the newest version of Spelling Power?
~Terri
I have the old version of Spelling Power, but I bought the digital tutor from their website.
Melissa

Renee413

Spelling Power for Mac users

Unread post by Renee413 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:17 am

I just purchased Spelling Power and realized that the CD-ROM is not compatible with my Mac. I noticed that on the inside cover they give you their phone/email address and they will give you access to the resources. I'm wondering how inconvenient this will end up being for me, if at all. How essential is the CD-ROM to the program?

Thanks,
~Renee
Colin - age 8: ECC, TT 4, PLL, Spelling Power
Analise - age 7: ECC, MUS Beta, PLL, SS & S

Completed: K, 1st, ADV

s_duguid

Spelling Power for Mac users

Unread post by s_duguid » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:37 am

Renee413 wrote:I just purchased Spelling Power and realized that the CD-ROM is not compatible with my Mac. I noticed that on the inside cover they give you their phone/email address and they will give you access to the resources. I'm wondering how inconvenient this will end up being for me, if at all. How essential is the CD-ROM to the program? Thanks,
My mind is really foggy on this, and hoping others will chime in. Did the CD-rom have the activity cards? This is the only thing I can find on my computer about Spelling Power right now, since I no longer own the program. I have a Mac and did call the phone number several years ago, but unfortunately cannot remember exactly what help they gave.

OK, did a quick search and it appears that we don't get the digital tutor, but it isn't integral to making the program work; just another drill tool. I don't even think I used the reproducible forms or the searchable word list which we CAN access. Still loved the program.
http://www.spellingpower.com/products/ihaveamac.htm

-Sue
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV