Grammar - Reference & reinforcement ideas

Copywork, Cursive, Dictation, Grammar, Handwriting, Letter Writing, Memory Work, Narration, Read-Alouds, Spelling, Vocabulary, & Writing (many of these topics apply to other subjects such as Bible, History, and Science)
Lainie

Grammar - Reference & reinforcement ideas

Unread post by Lainie » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:30 pm

Hi All,
I don't know if this has been posted before but I just discovered a wonderful little web site called Grammer Slammer that is very clear and organized. It has all the rules I have long forgotten that often come up in PLL and ILL that leave me stumped. I was looking for something else and ta-dah there it was.
Enjoy!

http://englishplus.com/grammar/gsdeluxe.htm
Lainie (Oregon)
"Sanctify them in truth; Thy word is truth" John 17:17

Have completed 1st, entire 5 year cycle, and all high school! Whoo hoo!
Have graduated one with MFW, 1 dd- junior, and 1ds- freshmen
http://mishmashmaggie.com/

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:56 pm

Thanks for sharing! I like the part of that site with the Letter Writing Styles for business and friendly letters.

Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:11 pm
Here is another online resource:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/ ... vervw.html
(it even has little online exercises for practice)

-crystal

4Truth

Grammar/English Handbook recommendations?..

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:18 pm

Blessed with six wrote:I am curious if anyone can recommend a grammar/english handbook. I really want something that I can go to, look up preposition, noun, adverb etc...and will be able to read about it and understand!
Kim
Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:24 pm
I have the Rod & Staff English Handbook and like it very well. It's easy to understand. I've heard that BJU has a good one, too, but I haven't seen it.

lyntley

Unread post by lyntley » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:19 pm

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:09 pm

If you have little ones, a book called Humpties makes learning them easy and fun.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:20 pm

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:50 pm

If you end up using All in One and/or Applications of Grammar for your jr. high students, you could just use those books as a reference for you alongside PLL. http://www.mfwbooks.com/lang_arts.htm#grammarset (don't get confused on that link -- there is no picture on the website yet for Applications book)

My kids liked Grammar Rock from School House rock for an informal approach alongside other lessons. My oldest still sings the Lolly Lolly Lolly Gets Your Adverbs Here song when she has to deal with adverbs.

PLL takes an informal approach with grammar. Then in ILL, it picks up a bit with more formal terms.

Some rules are listed in the back of Writing Strands as well.

-crystal

JenniferF

Unread post by JenniferF » Sat May 31, 2008 11:34 pm

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:04 pm

Something which is fun to reinforce the noun, adjective, verbs stuff is to play mad libs. They have lots of them (free) on itsamadlibsworld . com Kids can type to fill in the blanks and print off their stories if desired. My 3rd grader loves when she gets to play on there.

ilovemy4kids

We are using this for 7th also and I spend about 5 minutes r

Unread post by ilovemy4kids » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:20 pm

Relax and make it fun. If he never had phonics or grammar instruction, just provide it in a relaxed atmosphere. The "Phonics Game" is cheesy and really a pain to sit down a play, it is also not the best way to teach phonics, but I have used it to tutor older learners 14 and up, who needed phonics instruction and it works. It's been around forever.

On the grammar issue, a writer's handbook is very helpful. Iplace a small mark next to the appropriate part of the teaching at the top of the page that is related to his error. He corrects the mistakes. If he still has a problem, we go to our writers handbook (write source 2000) and look it up in there for more detailed but very clear explanation. Good luck!
Sandra

cbollin

ILL and grammer intro

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:39 am

lisaha wrote:For those who have used ILL and maybe has the teachers manual for it, does the teachers manual tell you the proper grammar names in the first two years so you can give the child a gentle introduction in 4th grade to the grammar terms like pronouns, adverbs, adj, conjunctions and predicates?

We used PLL with Adventures last year and my children flourished with it, my 3rd grader's writing improved and she did very well. Both children enjoyed it on most days, a huge improvement from the lack of retention, often tantrumed over, in workbooks we used in other years. I introduced nouns, verbs and adj to them and for the first time they remembered what they were, but I introduced it conversationally and having them point them out of PLL. Those are about all I know in grammar terms as it's a poor subject for me. I could write an amazing report in highschool, but I never understood tearing apart a sentence to name every part of it. So I would like to introduce them to parts of speech generally but still retain the CM style they do well with copywork, pict study and dictation.

Since they did well with PLL, ILL is a logical choice, but I do want grammar and I was hoping the teachers manual might point out the proper grammar terms here and there. When my DD took her CATS last year for 3rd they asked her to do predicates and we had not covered it in PLL, thankfully she still got them all right, but it made me wonder if I need to cover some grammar gently.
she still got them all right - good job! says it all! Even without worrying about formal definitions, she knew some of this. good sign. My middle gal did lesson 197 in ILL this week and knew how to do subject vs. predicate without much trouble.

I can't answer about the Lost Classics version of teacher's guide. I don't have that book. I can answer what is in ILL itself. and if I got super brave, I could answer about my user guide for 4th grade section of ILL. but I"m not brave.

in the book itself....

You can use the index in ILL to look up the "parts of speech" and then find the page with the formal definitions. Usually the definitions of those 8 words called "parts of speech" are going to be found in the "6th grade" portion of ILL.

There are sections about every 50 or so lessons in ILL that are lists of grammar points learned to that point in the book. They are called Review lessons.

I enjoy using School House Rock Grammar Rock songs/dvd to just have a jingle to sing along. Worked for me for my schooling as a kid. Works for my kids too. Keeps it simple enough to learn and fill in worksheets and quizzes. Hee hee.... (mr. mortan is the subject of the sentence, and what the predicate says he does.) So, I unpacked my adjectives...... Conjunction Junction, what's your function? check your library for the DVD, or maybe some store somewhere. I'd be careful on youtube finding them as there are some "fake ones" out there that are blushworthy. sigh.......
lisaha wrote:I could write an amazing report in highschool, but I never understood tearing apart a sentence to name every part of it.
I wouldn't worry about "diagramming sentences" at this stage. It is more important to learn how to put a sentence together than to label parts of speech. They will get lots of this labeling technique in 8th grade in Applications of Grammar. application over identification until then is fine.

-crystal

TriciaMR

Re: ILL and grammer intro

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:39 pm

I'll 2nd School House Rock... We bought it, and my dd knows almost every song by heart (except the multiplication ones - go figure, but one of my boys can now skip count by 3 because of School House Rock). But, she can sing "Conjunction junction, what's your function" and "Electricity" and "Shot heard 'round the world" right along with the video.

(We got the 20th Anniversary Edition from Target...)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

jasntas

A Show That Teaches Grammar

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:23 pm

Since this seems to be such a difficult subject for many kids I thought I would mention the following show.

My kids, 8 and 11, like the PBS program "Martha Speaks" and just last week or so they released a few new shows that specifically teach nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs. The episodes are called 'Verb Dog, When Action Calls' and 'Return of the Bookbots'.

My 11 y.o. ds, who has really not been formally introduced to the subject, really picked up on this and has now been going around verbally dissecting sentences for fun. He is dyslexic and also has recall issues so I was really starting to worry about how I was going to teach him this subject. Thank you to 'Martha' for making my job a little easier.

While I'm at it, I'll also add a reminder that some of the old Schoolhouse Rock shorts help reinforce grammar as well.

I hope this is helpful to someone besides myself. ;)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.