Writing - Quality expectations 1st-8th

Copywork, Cursive, Dictation, Grammar, Handwriting, Letter Writing, Memory Work, Narration, Read-Alouds, Spelling, Vocabulary, & Writing (many of these topics apply to other subjects such as Bible, History, and Science)
Ohmomjacquie

Re: How do I know if my 2nd grader is doing o.k.?

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Thu May 17, 2012 8:08 am

I'm glad my dd isn't the only one with dictation woes. Your son isn't alone either. I like the ideas given. We tried a traditional spelling program then went to all about spelling. It has helped her a ton so far. She still spells phonetically for unfamiliar words but it's getting there.

As far as reading outloud maybe it helps him remember better? Idk I'd be happy to see reading for fun! The silent reading will come I'm sure. I know how you feel. We are finishing second (not mfw though) and I'm wondering the same things.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

klewfor3

Unread post by klewfor3 » Fri May 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Thanks for the input!

Just as a note...I did go over all of the sentences with my ds before we started any dictation. And, I even went a step farther and explained that this was NOT a spelling exercise and to just give it his best shot. There were still tears and frustration...all year long.

Now....my own opinion on what I posted:
I know that learning for the most part is encouraged to be fun in a homeschooling setting, but if I am truly honest, school is not also "fun" to him. If I had chosen to do the unschooling method we would not do anything! I believe my job though, as his mom, is to have him do his work regardless, even though it may not be fun for right now. I look at it this way if I waited until I felt like doing something my house, it would look like a hoarder lived here :-) i.e. It is important that I clean the house, but I DO NOT like cleaning my house. That is how I view homeschooling as well. My ds is not naturally drawn to school. He doesn't want to sit and listen. He doesn't like to do things that stretch his abilities. He'd rather play all day. It has happened more than once that he has told me that "he can't believe he picked this" and he wishes he could go back to school. But, I know that if I enrolled him in school next year, he'd be pleading to be homeschooled. On the other hand there have been moments where he will hug me and thank me, or laugh out loud at a story we read together, or remember how to say Tchaikovsky (which I still can't say correctly). Homeschooling has its ebbs and flows, its ups and downs, and so too will our language lessons.

I say all this to say that I do think we're doing o.k. ;) The day I posted I was having one of my days where I was feeling guilt...

Using the computer is his favorite format. He does so well with his math facts since using Xtra Math. At this point I don't think he needs a new program or curriculum...just some added help that doesn't feel so much like school...
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri May 18, 2012 5:07 pm

klewfor3 wrote:I believe my job though, as his mom, is to have him do his work regardless, even though it may not be fun for right now.
Kathy, I definitely agree that school is not negotiable at our house. I don't even let my kids decide on curriculum or subjects or whether they are going to homeschool. I am the adult and I know what a child needs.

However... how we do school seems very negotiable to me. My son is the one who didn't do dictation. He didn't actually use a pencil very much at all over the years. I told myself that Socrates taught Plato by just talking. Abe Lincoln learned from the Bible. Thomas Edison did very little formal schoolwork. None of them did "nothing," and my child does not have my permission to do "nothing," but none of those men's educations had a lot of paperwork :) It was a risk, but it seems to have worked out all right for my son. We still did all of PLL & ILL - just did them mostly orally or on the marker board. I recently heard this quote that I really liked, considering how I've been raising my very pencil-phobic youngest these past 16 years.
  • From book William Holmes McGuffey and His Readers,
    a quote from McGuffey's daughter in regards to his education:

"He was fond of studying and reading. He used to walk miles to borrow books
    from the schoolmaster or the minister and would read at night by the firelight,
    stretched out on the floor. He was eighteen years old before he ever saw a
    slate.
    "
What I got out of it is that a man who was educated enough to write the textbooks that taught probably millions of schoolchildren didn't necessary write anything as a child... I realize that's not the only way to do things (LOL), but it's good reinforcement for my feeling that learning can be done in lots of ways :)

Hope that helps free someone who's thinking along the same lines ;)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs