SP - Does anyone use extras? Activity Cards, Student Record Book?

Copywork, Cursive, Dictation, Grammar, Handwriting, Letter Writing, Memory Work, Narration, Read-Alouds, Spelling, Vocabulary, & Writing (many of these topics apply to other subjects such as Bible, History, and Science)
DS4home

Re: spelling power

Unread post by DS4home » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:36 am

We use a white board. They write the word, then spell it out loud to me. If it's right they erase it, if it's wrong they rewrite it correctly in the corner and we move on. At the end they have the words they need to study written in the corner of the white board, and the space to study it out.

Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

momonthemove

Unread post by momonthemove » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:06 pm

I print off the pages needed and copy them and have a stack for the year ready to go.
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

sewgirlie

Unread post by sewgirlie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:13 pm

We like the sheets printed from the cd. Especially the 10 step study sheet. It reminds them to do each step for each word.

Carrie

Leah OH

Unread post by Leah OH » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:59 pm

We use the printed off sheets as well. I also like the 10-step Study sheet.
Leah in NC, married to Jeremiah
MFW ECC with dd10
MFW ECC with ds8

Winkie

Unread post by Winkie » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:29 pm

We use a spiral notebook. I posted a copy of the How to Study a Spelling Word sheet on the wall.
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

albanyaloe

Unread post by albanyaloe » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:59 pm

We also use the 10 step spelling page, I just copied a whole stack, and also an ordinary notebook. I figured if I first tried a cheaper spiral notebook and it didn't work, then I could try the companies one, but it is really not essential. We use a thick piece of colored paper and a paperclip to ensure there is no peeking back to previous days words. The whole system works perfectly fine without the SP student notebook. I am so impressed with how SP works, a very well thought out program.

Lindy
Lindy,
Our first year with MFW, doing ECC 2012, Our 7th year of HS'ing
Joel 11 yo, Emma-lee 8 yo and Shelley 6 yo
We're from Sunny South Africa!

Ohmomjacquie

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:23 pm

I agree the program is great! We got the book provided by the company.i like that she can check the steps off for each word as we go. She us easily distracted though so it helps to gave it in front of her.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:44 pm

I've tried them all. I liked the workbooks best.

*in the end I switched back to Rod and Staff Spelling. ;)
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

MelissaB

Spelling Power Activity Task Cards

Unread post by MelissaB » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:02 pm

erin.kate wrote:Does anyone use these? Would you recommend them for a very poor speller (3rd grade, ECC) for something extra and fun to boost confidence with multisensory activities?

I also have a 6yo (7 in a couple of months) who is a fluent reader but whom I held back from MFW 1 this year to let her grow a little more in maturity, and I thought maybe the activity cards might supplement her reading simply and without using a the actual program until 3rd grade.

I'd love any advice. Thank you!
Hi, Erin,

I like that idea. !?

Also, if it helps, I just found this yesterday(!): There are Skill-building activities listed on p. 213-214 specifically for ages 5 to 7 yrs. old (activities #1 - #25).
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

erin.kate

Re: Spelling Power Activity Task Cards

Unread post by erin.kate » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:49 pm

Ooh, that does help. Thank you so much!

I'd still love to hear from anyone else who might use the cards.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

asheslawson

Re: Spelling Power Activity Task Cards

Unread post by asheslawson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:22 am

Hi,
I just saw this post...so I'm late jumping on here. I have them & use them. Probably not as much as I should, but it's largely because I juggle home school with care of 3 two & three year olds that I babysit & my 10 month old grandaughter I have some days, an after-schooler I watch, and then of course church & co-op activities. I think I would be better with the fun "xtras" if I had more time - but our school day gets pretty interrupted & most days we just get the bulk of our guide done. Often art & music fall by the wayside, which disappoints me - but it's just how life is.

I use the cards - but a lot of the activities I like best are in the skill building section p. 213-222 that Melissa already mentioned. There are some others we have done & enjoyed...

Creating a state abreviation concentration game
Creating words from 'supercalifragilisticexpealidocious' and then some vowel hunting activities
Some of the writing activities...a different perspective, think ahead, state facts

I'm fairly happy with them...but I don't think they are essential. I actually like the writing prompts best!

Also...I keep a 'word bank' for each child in the box. Any words I know they have mis-spelled get written on a notecard & kept in their word bank. I use these words for some of the activities from the task cards or from the book.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

MFW-Lucy

SP Activity task cards organization

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:13 pm

hsm wrote:I feel really silly asking this question, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to organize these cards. I am confused. I have looked at the booklet that comes with the cards and it indicates that the colors of the cards correspond with age/difficulty level. I don't know how to separate the cards by the index files of activity type. Am I making this harder than it really is? Can someone please help me with this?
Hi Lori,

I can see why you would be a little confused. In the booklet it does not tell you which numbers go behind which tab in the "How They Are Organized" section in the front. But in the Answer Key starting on page 13 you will find the division of the activities. So for instance cards 1-80 are Drill Activities, 81-160 are Skill Building, etc. When you are ready to choose an activity you can decide what kind of activity and choose one from the appropriate color based on the child's age or Level they are working at in Spelling Power.

If you have more questions, let us know and we will try out best to help you.

Lucy
hsm wrote:Lucy- thank you so much for answering my question. I now have an organized activity card box! :)