Handwriting Resources - Paper, fonts, pencils, grips

Copywork, Cursive, Dictation, Grammar, Handwriting, Letter Writing, Memory Work, Narration, Read-Alouds, Spelling, Vocabulary, & Writing (many of these topics apply to other subjects such as Bible, History, and Science)
2girls2boysnme

Re: Handwriting question

Unread post by 2girls2boysnme » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Thank you! Yes, that is what I was wanting. So I printed mod manuscript and mod cursive and laminated them. Each girl now has a guide to go by, as do I! We have just started mfw and the public school taught more of a ball and stick style. I have always liked the monkey tail look of the dnealian style and my daughter has trouble with b and d reversals so maybe it will help her...
Thanks again!

Ohmomjacquie

Handwriting sheets for ADV?

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:32 pm

daisylynn wrote:I was looking over the first few days of ADV and it says to write the child's name/meaning on a blank handwriting sheet for them to copy. Are those something I'm suppose to order separately? What do you use for those handwriting sheets? Thanks!
You can find handwriting paper in school supply sections for a few $. Or you can find them online to print.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

Ruby

Re: Handwriting sheets for ADV?

Unread post by Ruby » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:00 pm

i just used wide lined filler paper. i skipped every other line to make it easier on the eyes.

[Editor's Note: As recommended in the general supply list at the front of the Adventures manual.]

MorningSong

Unread post by MorningSong » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:51 am

Back when we used Adventures, I just wrote it on "Primary Paper" and my children copied it. If you don't have any, you can print some off for free from Donna Young's site: http://donnayoung.org/penmanship/paper.htm

Since then, I've found Worksheet Works. I love their handwriting sheets because you can customize them and make the print any size you like to fit your needs. You type what you want them to copy and it will give a blank line under each line of type for your child to copy on. Here's the link for that one: http://www.worksheetworks.com/english/w ... iting.html

And, while we're on the topic of handwriting. I think every Bible verse for copy work in Adventures is available on this site for printing and there are even coloring sheets and activities to print to aid your children in memorizing the verses: (Looking back, maybe it was ECC that I used these Bible verse print outs for) http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/bible_memorization.html

HTH

afelton

Unread post by afelton » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:36 pm

I found a dry erase board with primary lines on it at Walmart in the school supplies for a dollar. I write on that then they copy onto their student sheet. Very nice.
Using MFW since 2010.
Wife of Terry since 2002.
M (12) Exp to 1850
H(10) Exp to 1850
E (10) Learning God's Story(recently adopted)
C(8) Exp to 1850
J(6) Learning God's Story

Ohmomjacquie

Writing paper for 2nd grade??

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:59 pm

asheslawson wrote:My dd is going to start 2nd grade on Monday - and this will be her first year in the 5 year cycle...we are doing RTR this year.

I have looked at several pads that say 2nd grade in the store and they always want over $3.50 for these things. I have some pre-school & K paper left that has the two solid lines with the dotted lines in the middle (which is so thin). I am just wondering at what point do you transition them to regular wide-ruled notebook paper (I have quite a bit of this from all the back to school sales over the years). I even thought about using it, and telling her she could use two lines at first for her 'one line'. (Does that make sense.) But I am wondering if this would confuse her more. Any tips on writing paper? I just don't have the budget this year for too many school supplies and I could not pay over $3 for a small tablet of paper (plus - other than being 'notebook paper' sized, it looked about the same as the pre-k/k paper I already have.)

I would love to know what others have done. Am I the only one puzzling over this???
I would try the wide ruled and see how that goes. There are places to find /print writing paper online I believe but if the wide ruled doesn't work you can use the k stuff.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

kjknits

Re: Writing paper for 2nd grade??

Unread post by kjknits » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:29 pm

I'm forever printing handwriting and filler paper from Donna Young...not sure if it's ok to post the link, so just google her name. There are tons of styles and options there!
Katie
Wife to JJ, and mom to DJ (9) and AJ (7)
Formerly a "piece-it-together" WTM classical homeschooler...but officially a MFWer now! (Adv 2011-2012, ECC 2012-2013)

asheslawson

Re: Writing paper for 2nd grade??

Unread post by asheslawson » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:43 pm

Thanks Katie - I actually did find a thinner lined paper with the mid-line on Donna Young's site. It has worked great - she was not doing such nice work on the regular notebook paper, but the lined paper from DY is helping her - her handwriting is beautiful (when she uses it). I like that the lines are not as wide so she can adjust to the smaller lines. Thank you - her recent papers have been absolutely beautiful!! I'm hoping this will help her get used to smaller width of lines so she can continue the nice penmanship when she transitions to regular notebook paper!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/