SSS - Users answer questions

Copywork, Cursive, Dictation, Grammar, Handwriting, Letter Writing, Memory Work, Narration, Read-Alouds, Spelling, Vocabulary, & Writing (many of these topics apply to other subjects such as Bible, History, and Science)
mgardenh

SSS - Users answer questions

Unread post by mgardenh » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:14 pm

Review tests
RachelT wrote:Hello! Well, we have done our review pages for lesson 6 of Spelling by Sound and Structure. It is a major feat for us to accomplish the regular tests of 12 words each week. I am wondering how some of you do the review test of 25 words?

Could I break it up over 2 or 3 days? Did you go back over all 6 lists orally? I've been working with ds on each list and quizzing him orally once or twice and then doing one written test (instead of two written tests, as suggested in the guide) because writing is a big deal for him. But this has worked well and I'm having him "write" the words in the carpet, in the air, on my back, and having him build them with the textured letters, say it out loud, etc. to find a way to help him to really learn each word and be able to recall it.

So, I can't do that with all 60 words, what works for some of you? Should I go back and find words that he missed on his other tests and go over those specifically?
Rachel
I broke up the 25 words into two days. And it worked just fine.
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

Mommyto3boys

Unread post by Mommyto3boys » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:37 pm

I had my ds (who was in 2nd then) spell the words orally one list a day for the review lessons. Then any words he missed he could study for Friday's test. This way he could focus on just a couple of words he missed. That test would be written.

HTH,

Debbie in NC
Mom to ds (9, 6.5, 4) and 1 dd (1.5)

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:56 pm

Thanks for the responses!

I had my ds (who was in 2nd then) spell the words orally one list a day for the review lessons. Then any words he missed he could study for Friday's test. This way he could focus on just a couple of words he missed. That test would be written.

Oh, Debbie, I love that idea! We will have to do it next time. I had him write 8-9 words on Wed, Thurs, & Fri and then we reviewed the correct spelling of the words that he missed. I think your way would help us to review more.

Thanks!
Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

cbollin

What if a child wants to go faster?

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:54 am

momma2kact wrote:We began Adv. on Monday, and therefore began SBSAS. To my great amazement and surprise, my son "wanted" to do the entire first lesson on Monday! So we did! Even the spelling test--which he got 100% correct. He thought is was soooo cool that he had finished a week's worth of spelling in a day.

Today he "asked" to do the next lesson, and we did everything except the spelling test(we ran out of school time).

Is this okay? I don't want to hold him back at all! But I thought I would check to see if there is anything I am missing(as far as why I should make him follow the 1 part per day). He is the child that wants to always take the easy way, so the fact that he would do more than he "had" to do is amazing!!! Blessings,
thoughts about it????

*"test" again on Thursday or Friday for retention of the material. (Tests can be some form of evaluation if spelling tests don't suit anyone's fancy.)

*it is possible that this will work for the first few lessons depending on his spelling ability, but might not work a few lessons down the road. Be prepared to adjust as needed.

*make sure you are working on the spelling rule in the lesson too. (those are listed in the teacher's edition for each lesson as Purpose)

*if he does the workbook quickly in the week, remember to look in the teacher's edition for some drill activities (some are chalkboard/dry erase board, some are out loud) for other days.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:16 am

I'd say go for it. Let homeschooling make him proud. And he's building up his "pencil endurance," which is invaluable in my opinion!

I'd expect it to dwindle off at some point (when it gets hard?), and then I'd let him know he'd earned a little time off if he needed it!

And I like Crystal's ideas for review & reinforcement.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:23 pm

If you give him a pencil and paper test early in the week, maybe have him write the words on a white board later in the week to test for retention. My dd loves writing her spelling words on a white board.

Another idea for you too...something I've been doing with my dd when she does the workbook. After she finishes each part of the workbook, we correct it together. I call out the answers. She checks her workbook and spells the words out loud to me. That way, she has written the words and gets double reinforcement when she has to spell them out loud.

Another idea...we do Part A Monday, Part B Tuesday, play a game with the spelling words Wednesday and take the test on Thursday. If your son likes to do the whole workbook lesson in one day, you could do that, then play a game with the words, like Spelling Bingo, concentration, etc. on the next day, and then take the test the third day. My dd loves to practice her spelling words on "Game Day" when we play a game and practice them in a fun way. I usually use some type of game in which she has to write the words and then spell them out loud, as well. It's worked well, and she has done very well learning her spelling words.

Just a couple of ideas for you. :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

cbollin

How do you use the Teacher Manual?

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:49 am

I found it necessary to understand what the spelling objective of each lesson is in the student workbook. That wasn't listed in the student book. And the ideas for drills for spelling time were helpful. I used it most lessons for a tiny bit of time in each lesson.
-crystal

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:40 pm

I use mine to know which spelling rule is being taught. I guess that could be obvious, but it gives me something to talk about with dd. I also use the sentences that are printed in it for the spelling tests.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:30 pm

Ditto to what Cyndi said! I use my SbSS TM for knowing which spelling rule we are focusing on and sometimes there are a few suggestions for using the pictures on the pages to discuss this, then I use the sentences in the back for our spelling "tests".

Rachel

cbollin

My SSS questions

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:32 pm

RachelT wrote:Please bear with me! I know that I have posted a couple of other times this year about spelling. We've tried some different things. I guess I have two questions.

Question 1. What level of mastery should I expect or work toward? If we are not at 100%, then what do you think would be acceptable before moving on? Or should I just keep adding those words to the list the following week? My ds usually misses 3-4 words at the end of the week with each lesson and I just don't know why he doesn't know all 12. I don't know if we have to do more practice or if he really needs more days to learn the material, or if it's because he is not yet to a certain level of reading ability? I wonder if we need to go over the list another time each day (like in the evening with dad?) It seems like he can always figure out the beginning and ending sounds but if a word is longer than 4 letters, it is harder for him the learn the middle parts. I like the simple layout and the easy to use lists of SbSS. I am not quite sure why it's so challenging for him. I am also doing phonics review with him to help with this.

We are doing one lesson a week. And we always try to add a 5th day so our plan goes like this: Monday - go over list and do part A, Tuesday - review list, 1st half of B, Wednesday - review words and finish B page, Thursday - review words and play a game to practice, Friday - review words and do test. We like to play spelling bingo or hangman games and I've been trying to use a techniqu that a friend taught me in using our whiteboard and visualizing the words.

Question 2. It looks like Charlotte Mason had children do copywork to learn how to spell at first instead of lists of words and they didn't really do "spelling" until a little later like 9 or 10. I am wondering if anyone else has done this? My ds has always been challenged in the handwriting department, too, but I see the value in memorizing a short passage and copying it several times so that he would know how to spell the words in it. I don't know if it would be better or worse for him.

I am wondering my MFW chose SbSS instead of copywork for spelling? I understand that they seem like short lessons and a good review of phonics. It just seems like spelling takes us a very long time each day and is so much work! Spelling has always been natural for me so it's different to teach it to someone who can't "see" the words in his head, yet.

Breaking for holiday
To complete all 34 lessons this year we are supposed to do a new spelling lesson over our 3 day week with the holiday. I am not sure how to proceed? I am considering using this week to see if we can master our last lesson and maybe take longer with future lessons, like two weeks. Is that overkill? Any thoughts?

Sorry to be making such a mountain out of a molehill!!
Rachel
Rachel.

(((hugs))) it’s ok

Easy question first:
Skip a new lesson in spelling this week. We have to do 36 regular weeks in our state. It will work out. Also, if you don’t finish the workbook this year it’s ok. They will have many years to learn many of the rules. It is not expected that a child will be able to spell all of those words before moving on. You could finish in the summer. Spelling Power is not really grade level based (therefore you will not be behind in 3rd grade if you don't finish a 2nd grade workbook).

Now other stuff. (all opinion)

How much mastery? Work on the rules and make sure he knows the rule of the week. If he misses a few words each week, it’s ok most likely. More than likely it is due to it being another rule that wasn't the focus on the week's study. You'll get it to later. I see that in my kids work. They'll be so focused on using the rule they are learning that they forget something else. But with time, it gets easier for most words.

Lots of time to learn it as he gets older. As you know from another thread, I also don’t believe in mastery of math facts before moving on. <wink>

He’ll be practicing those spelling rules and doing all of that stuff for several years. Use the review lessons to review the lessons (not for near 100% mastery of a word list). He is ok, Rachel. It’s not a sign of something else is wrong. I think I hear that in your post, but I could be wrong.

Could you use SbSaS via copywork methods? It might be the quick solution while you wait for him to get older. The visualization technique might be easier to do when he is older. That's not easy for all kids at this age. My middle child (9 y.o) prefers letter tiles to practice spelling drills.

We worked on the rule (as stated in the teacher’s edition of SbSaS). We copied what we didn’t know. Yes, my kid looked things up when needed. What’s the problem with that?

We look up math facts and spelling words when my kids’ brains get stuck. It’s ok to know when to look up the spelling of a word, or math fact. Maybe if your son marks his weekly “spelling test” with the idea in his mind that those are words that he will want to make sure he looks up when writing a sentence, it will take the pressure off a bit if you think of spelling in 2nd and 3rd grade as more time to work on copywork/phonics mix.

just one opinion out there.

-crystal

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:18 pm

Skip a new lesson in spelling this week. We have to do 36 regular weeks in our state. It will work out.
Yay! I forgot that in my momentary state of panic about spelling!
Work on the rules and make sure he knows the rule of the week. If he misses a few words each week, it’s ok most likely. More than likely it is due to it being another rule that wasn't the focus on the week's study. You'll get it to later.
That makes sense! Thanks for taking the pressure off of me!
He is ok, Rachel. It’s not a sign of something else is wrong. I think I hear that in your post, but I could be wrong.
No, you are spot on!!!!!! I keep worrying that he has dyslexia or something like it! Part of my fear is because I have a first cousin who really is dyslexic. Part of my fear comes from the fact that I am being perfectionistic (my son and I are both first born children in our families - you know that birth order thing!). Part of my fear is because my son has a history of bad vision, although he is now 20/30 and was just examined on Friday. (After 4 years we don't have to do eye drops anymore! Yay!) But we will probably need to look at doing eye muscle surgery next year.

*Big deep breath*

Thanks!! We can review lesson 14 (since we had to go to the eye Dr. on Friday and didn't get to test) and a few words that were more difficult from the lesson before and wait until after Thanksgiving to do another lesson.
Rachel

TammyB

Unread post by TammyB » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:29 pm

Last year we used SbSS, and while my son liked it, he really did not master how to spell the words. I'm okay with that. :) Oh, he didn't finish the entire book. I'm okay with that, too. :) :)

This year we are using Spelling Power, and I am seeing real progress in his ability to spell. The whole ten-step-how-to-study-a-word thing is so him.

baileymom

ADV-Spelling by Sound and Struct...Questions

Unread post by baileymom » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:12 pm

mom2h wrote:I must confess, I did not read the SSS Teacher's Manual as thoroughly as I should ahead of time. Now I am on lesson 6 (first review) and realized I have missed some of the prior testing. As a matter of fact, it works out fine with a "gentle start' to school, but the Teacher's Manual is still not that clear to me. Could someone tell me how you do your weekly lessons and testing? Thanks.
We did:

M - Read list aloud together, Wkbk pg
T - ABC order
W - Wkbk pg
TH - sentences, study
F - test

ALSO*

MFW recommends no pre-testing on Monday, which we agreed and did not do.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

mom2h

Re: ADV-Spelling by Sound and Struct...Questions

Unread post by mom2h » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:40 am

BLESS YOUR HEART, KATHI!!! Thanks for answering my question only hours from giving birth! To #7, no less!!! I hope all went well up there!

dhudson

Grading R & S Spelling 2 & letter reversals

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:18 pm

baileymom wrote:How do yo do this? I don't keep 'records' ...but really, he should master these words, right?!

Right now, I'm having DS draw a line through his missed word, and rewrite it next to it correctly. BUT...Friday I let 2 words 'go,' where he had put 'd' instead of 'b' and 'q' instead of 'p.' Is that OK? I'm so laid back, but sometimes I think I shouldn't be.

P.S. if he gets them all correct...he loves for me to put " -0, 100%, A+ " in big red letters...but if he gets a few wrong, we just leave it :)

And...should I re-test him the following week on missed words? ...I'm just full of questions today, huh?!?
If mine miss words they get added to next weeks list.

I also have a "dictionary" notebook for each kid where they write all missed words so they have their word list of harder words. This way, I can tell them to check their dictionary instead of me having to continually spell words for them.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Julie in MN

Re: Grading R & S Spelling 2

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:10 pm

If it's just a letter reversal, and he really knows the spelling, can you just have him erase the line and move it to the other side?
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:20 pm

mastery: do you mean have 100% on all lessons before moving to next lesson?
or mastery: these are words that within a year he should have most all the time without too much reminder?

I would call it review the next week. Or let's do some warm up's before today's lesson?
I'm not a big tester of spelling at this age.
but I definitely like Dawn's notebook reference idea.

-crystal

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:46 pm

Dawn - my girls keep a personal spelling notebook (word, etymology, context definition if possible, and a good sentence)...I never thought of using it this way though (as a dictionary)...or having *him* do it (being so young, 2nd/8.5 yrs). But your idea seems very useful for this age.

Julie - that's exactly what I did...I'm assuming, that since you knew what I meant, that this is common for this age...and nothing to stress about. (letter reversal was gone by this age with my girls)

Crystal - 100% before moving on. I think I'm just going to have him 'study' a little more, and include the missed words on the next test until they are correct (like Spelling Power).

Thanks!

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:41 pm

It pays to hold on to your Teacher Manuals. I got out our First Grade TM, and we reviewed Day 17's " b e d" trick (to help with mixing up b and d).

...now, if only there was a word for: " p _ q " or " q _ p " ???

:)

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:04 pm

baileymom wrote: Julie - that's exactly what I did...I'm assuming, that since you knew what I meant, that this is common for this age...and nothing to stress about. (letter reversal was gone by this age with my girls)
When I taught piano for 8 years letter reversal was very common with Kindergartens, 1st graders, and 2nd graders. By 2nd grade it was usually gone with most children, but I would estimate 10 - 20% still did it regularly, and another 10% or so on occasion.

I did music theory with my students so I did see them write letters quite a bit.

As for your first question I am doing spelling tests with my first grader daily (R&S 1st grade phonics). I don't know exactly why I keep track of grades, maybe it is the teacher in me; or the fact my ds likes to see A+. I give A+ for 100% and A for missing 1 or 2. I don't carry over 1 or 2 words out of the 15 or so that he spells. If he missed more than 2 I think I would repeat the lesson. I seem to be an opposite home school mom of how I taught piano in my first years of teaching, and much more the way I taught at the end. I learned through my years of teaching that early mastery of foundational material is worth volumes when they reach the intermediate levels. Early on I tended to let them go too fast and breeze over pages that came easily, then we would later on hit major walls that were difficult to un-do; walls that later on were easily prevented by early mastery of foundational material. Just a little rambling...

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi Kathi,

My ds is dyslexic and the reading/spelling curriculum we use has a trick similar to the 'b-e-d' trick. It's called balloons/pigs.

Using your "left" hand make a fist, turn it so you can see the tips of your fingers, then raise your thumb. Look at the shape. (It's in the shape of a b). Have your child copy you and trace his hand with his right finger. Notice your thumb is pointing up in the air. Balloons go up in the air. (Raise hand) Using the same hand point your thumb down. Now it's the shape of a p. Pigs go down in the mud. (Lower hand) If it's a d it won't match either direction. We also added q. So if you do the balloons/pigs shape with your left hand and it doesn't match it must be a d or q (I use the right hand to demonstrate the d/q).

If my ds forgets to check before writing his letter and he makes a mistake, I just remind him by saying, “balloons/pigs.” Or I just make the gesture with my hand. He rarely forgets anymore.

HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

hsm

Spelling in 2nd grade

Unread post by hsm » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:01 am

Yodergoat wrote:We've got about 4 lessons left in Spelling By Sound and Structure, with 40 days left in our school year.

In Spelling By Sound and Structure, my daughter does part A on day 1, part B day 2, she spells the words on her own with hints if needed on day 3, we test on day 4 and re-test if needed (on the words she missed) on day 5. So we have abut 20 days of lessons left. She is not a strong speller (at all) on her own but does great with the spelling lists and usually gets 100% on her first test.

I have already purchased Spelling Power to use during ECC and think we will like the program. I don't want to begin it yet, though.

But what shall we do those last 20 days of school? Just lay aside spelling? Or should I make up a list of words she struggles with to study for those last few weeks? I wouldn't mind laying it aside because there was something else I wanted to add for the last few weeks (a deeper Native American study) without feeling like I'm adding too much to our day. Also, she did the spelling so well that I would like to "reward" her with being DONE. She has been looking forward to finishing the book and I would feel like an ogre if she finishes it and then the next day I hand her a spelling list. :~

Not a big deal, but curious about what others do when a subject is "finished" before time. The same thing is about to happen in math, as she is finishing her Singapore 1B in a couple of days. In that case I've decided to use the remaining school year to do drilling and work on facts (which she enjoys). But I'm not sure what to do with spelling. Any suggestions?
If it was me, I wouldn't add any more spelling if you finish early. I agree with you that it's a nice reward for her to finish the book and get a little break from it.

If it was math, I would feel differently because my kids can't take too long a math break yet. I like your idea of doing drill and facts to fill in that extra time when you finish math.

You could maybe do some spelling and math games for fun, but otherwise I would enjoy the free time and the extra unit study you are wanting to do. Have some fun with your sweetie!
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

Poohbee

Re: Spelling in 2nd grade

Unread post by Poohbee » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:27 am

I, too, would just let that be the end of spelling for your year. As you and Lori both mentioned, it is a nice reward for a student to finish a subject early and to get a bit of a break from the subject. Also, since you are planning to add in an extra thing or two to your days, it will give you more time for that. I wouldn't feel at all guilty for just being done with spelling and starting anew next school year. :-) Enjoy!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:20 am

Thanks! That's the way I was leaning.

Just felt wrong to have her finish early and rejoice over completing the book and then the next day say, "Here's more spelling!" :~

Thanks again!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:22 am

Shawna,

My boys will finish the 4th grade section of ILL before we finish out our school year. We will celebrate, and then stop English for the rest of the year when that happens. I'll probably add in doing geography worksheets together when that happens, as we've not been able to get to them (gasp!).

Celebrate, enjoy!
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog