SP - (Sp. Power) - Instructions are in MFW guides (and here)

Copywork, Cursive, Dictation, Grammar, Handwriting, Letter Writing, Memory Work, Narration, Read-Alouds, Spelling, Vocabulary, & Writing (many of these topics apply to other subjects such as Bible, History, and Science)
Mommyto3boys

Re: Spelling power - a new list each day or week?

Unread post by Mommyto3boys » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:24 pm

Sometimes we finish a list in a day and sometimes it takes several days. I don't even use a timer with my 7th grader anymore. We go until he misses 3 words or we finish the list. Also, for my oldest to really retain the spelling of the words, he must spell the missed word 4 days in a row correctly before I take it off the list. Just doing it the next day and the following Monday was not enough for him. Right now I am having his brother do the same thing as well, but I don't think he needs as much review. I may have him do less review.

HTH,

Debbie C.
Mom to 3 ds (12, 9, and 7) and 1 dd (4)
Done MFW Adventures, ECC and K, CTG, RTR and K, EX1850
On 1850Mod

Mommy22alyns

Re: Spelling power - a new list each day or week?

Unread post by Mommy22alyns » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:31 pm

It usually takes us 2 days to get through a list. I've done a whole list in one day if Rebecca isn't missing any words.

Mom2theteam

spelling power

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:29 am

karlafoisy wrote:If I buy Spelling Power through MFW, does it come with an instruction book (or lesson suggestions)? I have seen the book before, and it looks like just a bunch of spelling lists. How do I know what to do with those lists? Also, do people actually use the CD?
I haven't used Spelling Power (We are in 2nd and using Spelling by Sound and Structure this coming year) and I don't know what year of MFW you are using. We are using Adv and there are very detailed instructions included in the Adv manual for Spelling Power. I have no idea about higher levels, but I would think they would be there in at least ECC because Spelling Power is started in 3rd grade which can be Adv or ECC.

Hopefully someone with actual experience with it will chime in.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

MelissaB

Re: spelling power

Unread post by MelissaB » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:14 am

Hi, Karla,

We began using Spelling Power two years ago. Yes, it is a bunch of lists. :-) The directions on how to use Spelling Power begin on p. 3.

At first glance, I thought it would be complicated. It isn't. Just take some time before using it to go over the "Quick Start" instructions at the beginning of the book. Here's a brief synopsis about how it works:

1. You'll give your students a placement test that will tell you which list (in which Group and which Level) they should begin with.

2. When you know what list to begin on, you'll call out the words to the student from the list for 5 min.

3. Afterwards, he/she will spend 5 min. going over the words they missed to prepare for the next day's "test."

4. The next day, you'll give them the words that were missed the previous day; then the new words on the list.

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 each day. :)

When you complete a list, you'll move on to the next one. Each list has a phonics or spelling rule at the top to review each day.

The benefits of Spelling Power?
1. No wasted time. The child studies only the words he/she doesn't know how to spell.
2. You can easily plug in words to his/her list from other classes. Having trouble spelling "Caesar"? Jot it down on the S.P. list. Misspelled words from language, science, and other classes can be easily added to the S.P. list.
3. It's not a system where you take a test, and then - know it or not - you're finished spelling that word. When they don't know how to spell a word, that word is reviewed and retested each day until they can spell it proficiently.

The Cons?
You really have to take the time to carefully read the instructions at the beginning of the book. If you loathe reading instructions... you might want to look at a different curriculum. You only have to go over the instructions once, when you begin the program, but they are really extensive. Very simple program - extensive instructions to start.

FYI - We did not purchase the activities box. There is a list of Activities on p. 213 - 221. The box of activity cards would be a nice extra, but is not a necessity.

Another hint ... There's a CD included with different Spelling sheets. You can use a regular notebook for daily tests, and just print off the 10-step study sheet (saves on ink.) :)

Hope that's helpful.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:51 am

Agreeing with Heather that SP instructions are in the MFW manuals, and with Melissa that "quick start" instructions are also in the Spelling Power books. I think newer versions also have a "quick start DVD" if you need to "see" it :)

Your MFW manual will have a gentle start with handwriting practice at the beginning of the year, and then Marie will help you add one step of SP at a time, not worrying about everything at once.

You are right that the manual contains many lists - enough to last all your children through their spelling needs. The second largest part I think is the author's research and explanation of her methods, which I guess you could go over but I think by just following the MFW manual, you won't really need to read through until you have an interest. There are also other sections tucked in there, such as placement tests and lists of spelling "activities" for the hands-on learner. But if you just start out with the MFW manual instructions, you should be able to streamline your entry into the program ;)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:55 am

Julie in MN wrote:Your MFW manual will have a gentle start with handwriting practice at the beginning of the year, and then Marie will help you add one step of SP at a time, not worrying about everything at once. ...
That's right! I had forgotten about MFW's step-by-step instructions. That would be much easier. :) (Why did I read all of the instructions? ... :~ )
Julie in MN wrote:I read them, too. Some of us just can't resist reading all the words :)

Julie
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:42 pm

MelissaB wrote:2. You can easily plug in words to his/her list from other classes. Having trouble spelling "Caesar"? Jot it down on the S.P. list. Misspelled words from language, science, and other classes can be easily added to the S.P. list.
Bolded is GENIUS. I've never ever thought of that!
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Melissa,
Just wanted to say thanks for that concise list of how to use SP, along with the pros and cons! We won't use it until a year from now, but must admit that I had been overwhelmed already by the looks of it. Your response makes it sound completely doable. Thanks!!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

TriciaMR

Spelling - we have not yet begun

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:24 pm

gentlestrengths wrote:I purchased spelling power this year. We are in week 6, and we have not yet done spelling! I have 3 kids that need spelling (two of them need it more than the oldest). But I have truly not found time in our day. It IS important to me, even though it doesn't seem like it, since we have not yet begun, but it just seems like a PAIN with three kids - all three separate spelling words. I have two other children besides these three - one that is in 1st grade, and the other a toddler, that needs attention too.

Even though she promises that the program is easy once you get started - the START is overwhelming to me - enough that I can't even get past that!

Does anyone have suggestions - different spelling program that works better with more children or advice?
thanks!!
Have you considered, perhaps, taking a couple of days off of "regular do it all school" to just get through the placement tests - or do it over a couple of Saturdays... Just a thought. The main thing is getting placement right, then after that you just incorporate it into the day.

I am doing spelling with three kids (but not Spelling Power any longer - it didn't work for 2 of my dyslexic kids). I set a timer for 15 minutes and work with one. One of the others is doing math drill (on the computer), and the other is studying their AWANA verses. You could have the older kids rotate doing quiet (or learning) games (or reading) with the 1st grader and toddler while you work with one of the kids that need spelling.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

DS4home

Re: Spelling - we have not yet begun

Unread post by DS4home » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:39 am

I agree with Tricia. The placement tests are the hurdle you need to get over. Do you have a light day on Fridays or do you find you are using Friday to finish a lot from the week? I'm just thinking that would be the best day to find the time to focus on spelling. Maybe if you put it on your grid sheet to do testing on next Friday you'll try hard to finish everything Thursday so you'll have the time?! Just trying to brainstorm. :)

Once you get everyone placed in the right level I think you will like Spelling Power. It is a quick 5 min every day. We do our spelling on a white board. I read off the word, child writes it, spells it back to me out loud. If its wrong they write it correctly and star it or something. If it's right we quickly move to the next word. I don't waste any time, when it's spelling time we move through it pretty quickly. When they have missed 3-5 words we stop. They erase everything but the starred words. Those are the ones they work on (on their own) for a couple of minutes while you begin reading words for the next child (if that's how you want to schedule it). I mark in my SP book the ones they missed. Then I start the next day with those words before going into the next list.
Often times I'll get through a couple of lists and they have only missed one. I'll stop there and congratulate them on only having one spelling word to study that day! :-)

I did try a workbook program once. I didn't like the process of pulling out the workbook every night to check the page done. I decided if I am going to spend 5 min checking his work every night, I might as well spend 5 min during the day giving the words orally to him and be done with it. So we went back to SP the next year.

I would just encourage you to get the book out and open it to the first placement test. It really doesn't take that long to give it. If you have it laying out somewhere near, you might find a 5 min pocket of time to give it to just one child. Read through the word list, they just write it - no spelling it back to you - and stop when they have missed 3-6 words. (They don't need to know what words they missed) I would have them do this on paper with their name on it so you can go through it later and read the book instructions on what test to give them the next day.

Once you get your feet wet and start giving the placement tests you'll be fine.

Hope some of my rambling made sense,
Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Missy OH

Unread post by Missy OH » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Another idea to get It going is to do it first thing in the morning until you get the hang of it.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:21 pm

Make sure you are using the instructions in your MFW manual to get started. That will help streamline the process. I'm not sure what year you're on, but in ECC the Spelling Power instructions start in week 4, after the handwriting practice is complete. Then doing the Friday thing or setting aside a special day seems like a great idea.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:22 pm

Yes, the initial set-up takes a little time. But we love SP because 1.) it doesn't waste time, and 2.) we can implement misspelled words from other classes easily into each day's lesson.

You're very wise to wait until you feel you've gotten the hang of the other classes before you start SP. Next year, starting will be a breeze. ;)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:01 am

It took me forever to get to spelling! I was feeling just like you. Then, once I finally buckled down and did the placement tests (which we did on a Saturday morning if memory serves me correctly), it still took me a couple of weeks to really start doing spelling. I was ready to throw in the towel. I didn't like it. :~ But, I stuck it out a couple of more weeks and now I love it! I truly didn't think I would ever say that. I even posted about my struggles with SP. The reason I like it is first and foremost, my 3rd grader is a struggling speller. I really felt something different would be better for her, but SP is working!! She is doing very well. I couldn't be happier. We stop the test once she misses 3 words rather than going for 5 minutes. If we went for 5 minutes she would miss too many and be overwhelmed. But, I tell you what, she can spell those words she missed after doing the 10 step practicing. And, I re-test her on those words the next couple of days just to make sure she knows them. I am seeing her spell the words correctly that she missed in her other writing as well. My older daughter loves it because she is a natural speller and she just flies through the list and doesn't waste time doing busy work like she did when we did a workbook program. And, I admit that we haven't been doing the final 5 minute portion where the child does a spelling activity because it hasn't been necessary yet. If the need arises we will certainly add that in.

The getting started and getting going parts were very hard for me. I really preferred to eat the cost and just buy a workbook and be done. One thing that really helped me see how I was supposed to do the program was to watch the DVD that came in the book. Seeing it done by someone else instead of just reading it really helped. Someone on here suggested I do that and I am glad I did. I also wanted to mention I don't get to spelling everyday (shh, don't tell) because I, too, struggle with finding the time. It seems silly since it only really takes 10 minutes per kid, but I understand where you are coming from. What I have been doing is making sure if I only get to do spelling with one, it is with the struggler. But, I really do try not to skip it. I usually do the test with one and send the other one off to do book basket for a few minutes or to play with my Kindergartener. Then, we switch. It isn't a perfect answer, but it works....usually ;) Hope some of this helps.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

gentlestrengths

Unread post by gentlestrengths » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:57 am

*sigh*

NOT what I wanted to come here and find! LOL! The best spelling program I have used was Sequential Spelling. All my kids enjoyed it, but it really wasn't enough, I don't think. It really didn't teach what I wanted it to teach, I think. So here I am with SP in my lap, and I haven't even begun!

Okay - even though I didn't want to read all those nasty replies that say "just dig in!" - I am very happy that it was unanimous in that everyone agrees for me to just - dig in! Okayyy, okay, okay.....I'll TRY IT! I haven't watched the CD yet but I will do it today and just try it.

While I'm being a big ol complainer I want to complain about the author for one second (no, I am not perfect, but I still want to complain!) - she talks about how EASY this program is, but then she explains and explains and OVER EXPLAINS how to USE her program, so much that it is CONFUSING. If the program works so darn good, use less words, and get to the point! Stop explaining how great it works, and just let me GET TO IT ALREADY! ;o) Okay, rant over. Thanks for pushing me, ladies. I needed it.

One of each

Unread post by One of each » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:33 pm

gentlestrengths wrote:While I'm being a big ol complainer I want to complain about the author for one second (no, I am not perfect, but I still want to complain!) - she talks about how EASY this program is, but then she explains and explains and OVER EXPLAINS how to USE her program, so much that it is CONFUSING. If the program works so darn good, use less words, and get to the point! Stop explaining how great it works, and just let me GET TO IT ALREADY! ;o) Okay, rant over. Thanks for pushing me, ladies. I needed it.
I totally agree with your rant.:-) "Quickstart" in 12 or whatever steps is not QUICK to me either. But watching the CD's and reading MFW's suggestions for starting did get me up and going. It really is a great program and my kids even like spelling because of it. Having said that, if it makes you feel even better, we haven't started spelling this year yet either. :)
ds, 13; dd, 10
2013-2014 RTR
2012-2013 CTG
2011-2012 ECC

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:25 pm

I really sympathize with the quick start - but on the plus side - once you kind-of get into it - it does get easier. I have tried several other programs, because I just wanted a workbook & a once weekly test for my ds, who is a natural speller, but even those were cumbersome. I liked ARFS, but it was very pricey and had one page better for a classroom, leaving me needing to copy an extra page from manual if I wanted to fill in. Plus - there was a story to read @ the beginning, which they enjoyed, but he just didn't need too much spelling time spent with him. He is doing CLP this year - and it works great for him - but I'm only happy with it for him because it gives lots of 'other' word forms - and just seems to use so many words that we don't actually use a lot of.

He soared through SP & might not even need spelling anymore though so it's fine for him. However - my other two needed spelling more and are not natural spellers. Having a 'set' lesson to finish in a week was leaving them in the dust. SP lets them learn at their pace, and has other activities I can fill in if I don't want to do a 5 minute test everyday. After trying other things - I have come back to it - and really am very pleased with it. I wish you well - and hope it works out for you - I will tell you - it has taken me a while to love - but I'm very stubborn - and after trying other things here and there - I keep coming back to these recommendations and finding that they were the best fit after all.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:14 am

Having said that, if it makes you feel even better, we haven't started spelling this year yet either. :)
Ahem. Neither have we. :~

I guess I could list all the overwhelming-ness of the past two months, but...I need to just do it! So that is on my list for next week. Tackling it first thing while we are all fresh. Thanks for the encouragement too! One of the crazy things that happened to us this past month: I was watching my 9 month old nephew twice a week!!

I felt like I was slipping up, so what I did was make little "cards" with various review spelling words on them, then I gave the child their cards along with letter tiles (extra scrabble pieces!). They had to read the word, build the word and then write the word. Not the same as a test, but it was an independent activity on those baby watching days. :)
Andrea ~ Mother of four little monkeys (jumping on the bed!), Wife to one incredibly amazing man & a Daughter of the King.
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015

thelapps

Unread post by thelapps » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:06 pm

4monkeyz wrote:One of the crazy things that happened to us this past month: I was watching my 9 month old nephew twice a week!! I felt like I was slipping up, so what I did was make little "cards" with various review spelling words on them, then I gave the child their cards along with letter tiles (extra scrabble pieces!). They had to read the word, build the word and then write the word. Not the same as a test, but it was an independent activity on those baby watching days.
Thank you for that encouragement/idea! My boys are so hands-on. I am using Brave Writer's L.A. program and she has them building words with one inch sticky notes. They love it! This way you talk about sounds like fun too.

I would encourage "gentlestrengths" to have your children do copywork any days that you can't get to "doing spelling". Copywork helps build a sense of proper spelling for them. I too find it very difficult to get to spelling and have not begun a formal spelling class this year. I am doing the Barton System with my dyslexic son (9), my 6th grader is a good speller, and the only one left is my third grader who probably could use a good spelling class. So maybe I'll dig it [Spelling Power] out yet. Actually have two high school guys too, so I feel overwhelmed all the time. Never doing what I feel I should. I'm sure you feel the same way with a lot of young ones. Just hang in there, do what you can and go with the flow. Cut out what is least important. When so much depends on Mom, something has to give somewhere.

Marie
Doing WHL, AHL, RTR this year
Marie Lapp
5 sons using WHL; AHL; & RTR