Bible Learning - Book ideas for Preschool/Pre-K

Using MFW Preschool & Pre-K Packages, as well as occupying babies and toddlers while teaching
rachel

Bible Learning - Book ideas for Preschool/Pre-K

Unread post by rachel »

A wonderful way to incorporate my youngest into the MFW1 bible studies

I found a wonderful way to incorporate my youngest into the MFW1 bible studies and wanted to share. There is a book called "The Pray and Play Bible"- it has some basic Bible stories and activities/prayers/crafts/songs to go along with each story. The book is big with great pictures and ALL four of my children love me to read to them from it.

So, whenever we have a story from MFW that we also have in that book, we do the bible study with all of them (I may read the version from the TM at some other time)- and all the activities are super easy- I haven't had to to any planning. We just read the story and then pick what works. It gets all of them involved and lets me feel like the very active little boys are getting a great experience along with big sister. It's been a fun add-on! I purchased mine from amazon.com.

Rachel
(MFW1/pre-K with daughter(6), son(5), twins(3))
kacairo1

Any suggestions for a Bible curriculum for pre-k/K

Unread post by kacairo1 »

Mom2theteam wrote:We want to be doing Bible reading and a family devotional type thing daily, but all my kids are 5 and under. So, I've had a tough time finding something that is on their level and incorporates the great stories of the Bible. (TRUE stories. ;) ) I remember someone recommending something on here, but I can't find it and I don't remember what it was. :~ Does anyone have any recommendations. Thanks in advance!!
Here's a few that we have used in our family:

"ABC Bible Verses" by Susan Hunt
It focuses on 26 memory verses--one for each letter of the alphabet and uses a fiction story to illustrate it's meaning

"The Jesus Story Book Bible"
We LOVE this one! Every OT and NT bible story weaves Jesus and the message of the Gospel into it.

"The Family Story Time Bible"
(I think that's the title...) This one is from Sonlight. Very short little OT/NT stories with little questions...good for short attention spans. :)
~Kelly~
Married to my high school sweetheart for 12 years!
Four beautiful gifts later:
Rachel (7.5)--ECC; CC; M-U-S
Joshua (6)--1st; CC; M-U-S
Luke (4.5)--MFW preschool; Liberty Press K book; ABC Bible Verses
Lydia (2.5)--dress-up queen
erin.kate

Re: Any suggestions for a Bible curriculum for pre-k/K

Unread post by erin.kate »

I second the Jesus Storybook Bible. Gorgeous and sweet.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥
gratitude

Unread post by gratitude »

I third the Jesus Storybook Bible for reading.

The past few months we have been working through the Rod & Staff Pre-school Bible. It has the major Bible stories from Genesis to Revelation. I did this with my dd4 in mind, but the boys at ages 7 & 6 have enjoyed it to. Their prices are good, so I bought a coloring book for each of my oldest 3. So they color while I read the story. I usually end up reading the story 2 - 3 times so they can finish coloring their pictures. I think one of my favorite parts is that for the first time in home schooling we were doing exactly the same thing at the same time. It has led me to being much more creative in pulling all 3 of them together where I can in MFW1 and MFW ADV.
kaiakai

Unread post by kaiakai »

The Jesus Storybook Bible was my daughter's "FAVORITE book" for a long time.

We also love Susan Hunt's ABC Verses.

Big Truths for Little Kids (Susan Hunt) is another good one. Kiira still likes the stories, but gets tired of "answering the questions".
~Kai
http://thecatinthetree.blogspot.com
Mom to Kiira (5) and Hana (2)
NicoleJ

Unread post by NicoleJ »

If you wanted a more structured program with craft ideas and such, you could look at 'My Bible First' - see: www.mybiblefirst.org We love it here!

HTH! Nicole
cbollin

Christ Centered / Resurrection Centered Unit Study for P

Unread post by cbollin »

lea_lpz wrote:Hi! I have been scouring the internet for a Christ / Resurrection centered Easter Unit Study for my daughter who will be five mid April. So far I've checked out Hands of a Child and Amanda Bennet's download but by viewing online I'm not sure they would be correctly geared to her although they say kinders can use them. We are doing a unit study this week on Make Way for Ducklings by Hands of a Child and are enjoying it very much, but this is one of their pre-k-1st selections, so it more specifically tailored to the young set.

It seems like most of what I see is primarily based on bunnies, eggs, fluffy Easter stuff. Please help! If anyone can suggest some good lap books that convey the message of Christ's Resurrection to a preschool age child and includes some good activities, books, and recipes for the younger set, please let me know! I am planning on allotting a week to the unit study (although we could possibly extend the time). Any opinions / suggestions would be much appreciated!
I'd start with asking any of staff at your church who do pre school teaching. Maybe you'd like to just expand on how it is done there?

I don't know if it's still around out there... but all that popped in my mind was "The Donut Man"... yes..! I just google it... it's still out there!
donutman.com resurrection celebration dvd..
I have the very old and worn out vhs... I'm playing the online sample in the background and my high schooler and middle school just came running in..... "I remember this! God's not Dead NO! He is Alive!"
The children cried "susanna?" no... Hosanna...
He is the Kings of Kings...oh he is the king....
find the sampler.... we're singing over here....

she can't stop watching and dancing with the sampler..
oh mommy mommy! the mustard seed song! and run peter run He's Alive!
all of those songs... she remembers this stuff.... age 16 now... and that's what we used when she was preschool and kindy age and probably a little past that with next sibs.

sometimes, homeschooling is not all about unit studies with crossword puzzles... and such...... singing all day here...

have fun! but that gives a hint into my personality and how we did it before I even knew the words "unit study".

ps.... you can see the sampler on his website that I mentioned.. but you might order from a place that doesn't have a minimum $18... I just ordered a dvd copy of that old favorite (from a major christian discounter... wink wink.)

So let's play... build a 5 day unit study.
1. need music and scripture. I like Donut Man's easter dvd. and Bible
2. we need 5 crafts, one each day...
a. Palm branches are traditionally... use green construction paper. wave them around.
b. cotton ball lamb - find a sheep pattern and decorate with cotton
c.? I'm thinking still
d/e..... 1 craft but it takes 2 days..
here
http://mama-jenn.blogspot.com/2010/04/r ... table.html

I say go with the passion week story and "row it". (that means read it each of the 5 days). you can watch the donut man each day or read it in small sections... you choose..

basic structure.
story
music
craft
prayer time
memory verse for week: ? how about John 11:25

That's plenty for preschool.
-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DS4home

Re: Christ Centered / Resurrection Centered Unit Study for P

Unread post by DS4home »

When Crystal mentioned "row the easter story", that struck a memory...
One year, a long time ago, our church did a cool thing with a sermon series that could be adapted here. Everyone was given a simple cross made from wood. I still use it to decorate every year. It is about 6-8 inches tall with a built in stand. Anyway, the cool part is this: Each sermon was about a different aspect of the Easter story and everyone was given a small object to put on the cross that represented it. So we added things to the cross every week. This is the same concept of rowing a book, though I didn't know anything about this concept back then.

I don't have it out yet, but off the top of my head I can give you a couple of the elements.

Judas's betrayal = money bag, a tiny cloth bag with draw string that we hung on one arm of the cross (like the shephard bag made in 1st grade)
Jesus blood shed = red strip of cloth draped over the cross
Buried in the tomb = small stone glued to the base of the cross

You get the idea? I'm sure reading through the story several times will spark some more ideas of ways to tweek this thought for young kids? Maybe you could have a large paper cross taped to the wall to start with and add paper elements of some objects representing the story each day?

All this brainstorming is getting me thinking I should do something like this with my kids !! This could be fun :-)

Keep the ideas rolling... I might need some more now ;)

Dawn
Celebrating our 30th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS+College Grad), & Bethany(11th)
2020: high school US Hist.1
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1
MommaK

Unread post by MommaK »

I have been looking for some Resurrection centered crafts/activities to do also. I bookmarked this site. I haven't gotten to look through all of it yet, but there looks like a lot of fun, creative ideas!
http://impressyourkids.org/resurrection ... -for-kids/

Hope that helps!
Mariah
1st year homeschooler
DD {7} loving Adv.
DS {2} tornado!
Looking forward to doing ECC in the fall!
http://www.journalofmommak.blogspot.com
Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat »

I don't know about a unit study that I can recommend, but I can think of a couple things we do here and which I also use for doing preschool Sunday School (fours and fives). I hope you don't mind just getting some extra ideas!!!

If your family uses Easter eggs at all, the Resurrection Eggs are a nice tie-in. If your family doesn't do egg hunts and such, you can still use the eggs but explain that these special eggs explain the REAL reason we have Easter. There are pre-packaged ones out there, but I made my own and found Sciptures for each item. We read the passage straight from the Bible as we look at the eggs. The Bible passages are in different accounts of the crucifixion and resurrection, though, so there is some skipping around. My Sunday School children LOVE this and have requested them at times other than Easter. The children handle the items with soberness and more understanding of what Jesus endured for us.

Resurrection Egg #1
in the egg: a small plastic donkey, a bit of a palm-looking fake leaf
Mark 11:7-9
Then they brought the donkey to Jesus and threw their robes on it, and He sat on it. Many people spread their robes on the road, and others spread leafy branches cut from the fields. Then those who went ahead and those who followed kept shouting: Hosanna!
Resurrection Egg #2
in the egg: a piece of dry bread
Matt 26:26
As they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, gave it to the disciples
Resurrection Egg #3
in the egg: three silver colored coins (I use three dimes) could use 30 if you have them and they fit
Matthew 26:14-15
Then one of the Twelve—the man called Judas Iscariot—went to the chief priests and said, “What are you willing to give me if I hand Him over to you?” So they weighed out 30 pieces of silver for him.
Resurrection Egg #4
in the egg: a length of thorny plant (I use a piece off a rose bush)
John 19:2
The soldiers also twisted together a crown of thorns, put it on His head
Resurrection Egg #5
in the egg: a piece of purple cloth
Mark 15:17
They dressed Him in a purple robe
Resurrection Egg #6
in the egg: a length of leather strap
Mark 15:15
And after having Jesus flogged, he handed Him over to be crucified.
Resurrection Egg #7
in the egg: a small wooden cross John 19:17-18
Carrying His own cross, He went out to what is called Skull Place, which in Hebrew is called Golgotha. 18 There they crucified Him
Resurrection Egg #8
in the egg; nails
John 19:37
Scripture says: They will look at the One they pierced.
Resurrection Egg #9
in the egg: a small piece of paper fashioned like a sign reading "Jesus the Nazarene, the King of the Jews" John 19:19
Pilate also had a sign lettered and put on the cross. The inscription was: JESUS THE NAZARENE, THE KING OF THE JEWS
Resurrection Eggs #10
in the egg: a toothpick or length of skewer colored like a spear
John 19:33-34
one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear
Resurrection Egg #11
in the egg: a rock
Matt 27:59-60
Joseph took the body, wrapped it in clean, fine linen, and placed it in his new tomb, which he had cut into the rock. He left after rolling a great stone against the entrance of the tomb.
Resurrection Egg #12
in the egg: nothing, it is EMPTY
Matt 28:5-7

the angel told the women, “Don’t be afraid, because I know you are looking for Jesus who was crucified. 6 He is not here! For He has been resurrected, just as He said. Come and see the place where He lay. Then go quickly and tell His disciples, ‘He has been raised from the dead.'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We also enjoy acting out the triumphal entry. I use plastic fake palm branches and the children take turns riding a stick donkey while the others wave the branches, lay them in the road, and shout, "Hosanna, hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!" and the like. We do this the Sunday before Easter and I usually take pictures of the children doing this during Sunday School and send the photos to the children in a Christ-centered Easter card.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a recipe i have never tried, but sounds interesting.

Resurrection Rolls

Ingredients:
1 can refrigerated crescent roll dough
8 large marshmallows
Melted butter
Cinnamon
Sugar
Directions:
Give each child one triangle shaped section of crescent roll. This represents the tomb.
Each child takes one marshmallow which represents the body of Christ.
Dip the marshmallow in the butter and roll in cinnamon and sugar mixture. This represents the oils and spices the body was anointed with upon burial.
Lay the marshmallow on the dough and carefully wrap it around the marshmallow.
Make sure all seams are pinched together well. (Otherwise the marshmallow will "ooze" out of the seams)
Bake according to package directions.
Cool.
Break open the tomb and the body of Christ is no longer there!!
Celebrate God's love!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a similar recipe for some sort of meringue-type cookie that has a hollow center. I think they're called Resurrection Cookies.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!
lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz »

Awesome ideas! Thanks! I was beginning to think I was probably need to go ahead and just create my own unit study! This is my first week officially homeschooling so please bear with me! Still have this need to have a structure / instruction so I feel like I am doing something, probably out if insecurity about whether I am doing the right thing. Love project ideas! Thanks again and God bless!

Will definitely look for Donut Man DVD and try suggested crafts / bake resurrection cookies! The link with Easter crafts had an awesome craft where you build the garden and Jesus's tomb that my daughter who loves picking up things on walks and being outdoors would love so I have 5 crafts now! Thanks everyone! One last thing I'd love help with is book suggestions for the week as I am really enjoying doing read alouds especially since my son gets to participate too easily. He is going to be three in 3 months. I have seen suggestions for The Legend of the Easter Egg, Benjamin's Box and The Parallel of the Lily and there are some free lap studies on these (not Benjamin's Box, but other two) but my library doesn't carry these titles so would like to know if they are worth it for me to purchase them. Does anyone know where I could get these for the best price. Don't mind going used at all. Also if anyone had used the free lap studies with these can you share your experience? Thank you!
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)
MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM »

cbollin wrote:b. cotton ball lamb - find a sheep pattern and decorate with cotton
Oh, my kids have made cute ones in Sunday School by tracing their handprint. Turn it upside down and the four fingers are the legs, the thumb is the face. Cover with cotton balls, and put little googly eyes on the thumb.

I want to go to school at Crystal's house. :) (And I'm sure my kids would prefer it too!)
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2
MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM »

We have the Parable of the Lily, and it's quite good, but I don't remember where we got it, sorry! I think I probably picked it up at a Christian book store, like Lifeway or something. Haven't done any kind of lapbook or anything on it though. I am really no help. :~
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2
erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate »

Grapevine Studies also has a sweet and fun P/K study on the Resurrection. The "beginner" level is for Pre and K. It's 11 lessons. Super fun and simple. Resurrection cookies are the best!!! They're on my blog from last Easter, too, if you want to see them before and after. You've gotten really wonderful ideas!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥
Ruby

Unread post by Ruby »

shawna, i have made that recipie a few times with my sunday school kids (taught K and 1st for four years) and it was great! as long as you use the cresent rolls and press the seams so the marshmallows don't melt and ooze out (had that happen,too-lesson up in smoke) it's a great way for the kids to expect the marshmallow to still be there but surprise! it's gone, just like Jesus in the tomb.

the Benjamin's Box is a great story to read while/before/after doing the resurrection eggs because benjamin follows Jesus and collects these treasures, so to speak, and then puts them in his box. the stuff he collects are what can be found in the commercial set of resurrection eggs.
NJCheryl

Do you have a favorite Bible for Tots and PreK

Unread post by NJCheryl »

"My Goodnight Bible"
cefcdana

Re: Do you have a favorite Bible for Tots and PreK

Unread post by cefcdana »

More for preschoolers and up but we LOVE LOVE LOVE the Jesus Storybook Bible around here. Great illustrations and it ties all stories, both OT and NT, to Christ.
lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz »

The Preschooler's Bible by Gilbert V. Beer has simple text and is great for the 3-5 set. I used this for my dd and have now passed it on to my son. My dd now has The Story Book Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name with the audio cd. We are so happy with it! My daughter can listen to the cd and turn the pages along and we've even listened in the car as a family.

We also got the Rod and Staff A-F series and it comes with a color book and Bible stories book. I plan to read it out loud with the stories corresponding with the MFW 1st reader. It looks cut but I have only skimmed it. Most stories coincide with mfw 1st Bible reader :)
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)
4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz »

I'm not sure if you have already found a new Bible....The one we use and love is "The New Children's Bible" by Anne de Vries. The illustrations are lovely and there are no images of Christ. It isn't a complete Bible, but more select stories from the OT and NT with Bible references. I love the hardcover too! :)
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!
MuzzaBunny

Unread post by MuzzaBunny »

Just in case you needed one more to consider... :~ There's one called 100 Bible Stories, 100 Bible Songs and it's really cute. The lessons are perfectly age appropriate and my dd has loved it. The CDs are nice extras. :)
Bunny
asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson »

MuzzaBunny wrote:Just in case you needed one more to consider... :~ There's one called 100 Bible Stories, 100 Bible Songs and it's really cute. The lessons are perfectly age appropriate and my dd has loved it. The CDs are nice extras. :)
I have this one too (100 Bible Songs / 100 Bible Stories) & really enjoy it. Here is is:
100 Bible Stories, 100 Bible Songs, Stephen Elkins (creator)

I have this one from when my 20 year old was a tot - read it to him - my other 2 younger dc & now my pre-schoolers & granddaughter. It has simple sweet stories and is very good - nice pics. It is good - if you can find it used for less - I'll never part with mine though - too many memories!
The First Step Bible, Mack Thomas (Author), Joe Stites (Illustrator)

I also have this one - stories are a little longer but still not too long to lose attention span - it is great as well - and it is still affordable compared to the other one - it also belonged to my now 20 year old:
The Beginner's Bible: Timeless Children's Stories [hardcover], Kelly Pulley (Illustrator)

I had this one & loved it too - but I bought it used for my preschoolers I babysit - it was wonderful - but when I realized how many children's bibles I had - I opted to sell the newer ones that weren't the ones I'd read while rocking my sweet babies to sleep! This one is really nice - beautiful pics:
The New Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes Gift Edition [Hardcover], Kenneth N. Taylor (Author)

Just a few! There are so many nice ones!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/