3-year-olds - Feeling left out of K and olders, scheduling both

Using MFW Preschool & Pre-K Packages, as well as occupying babies and toddlers while teaching
kellybell

3-year-olds - Feeling left out of K and olders, scheduling both

Unread post by kellybell » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:15 pm

momto4boys wrote:I'm hsing 2 ds and have a 3yo and 10 month old. I would love to do more w/ my 3yo, but by the time we get school in, I nurse a baby and regular everyday activities, he gets left out. He's not the type to just sit and play while we're having school either. He's my "swing from the chandelier" child or "bouncing off the ceiling" child. After evaluating the last month of hsing I've decided that I need something that he and I can do together.

I bought the 2-3yo package from MFW and we do that some...what I'm wondering is if the 3-5 yo package w/ book would be better since it actually has a teacher's manuel to tell me what to do....anything that doesn't require me to think right now is greatly appreciated.

Is he too young? Have any of you tried or done something different? We have playdoh, wooden train set, blocks, a kitchen set, animals, books....Lauri toys........so I don't want to add just a new toy thinking THAT will occupy him for a while. Help!!!
Tiffani
I understand. I'm teaching MFW1 to my nearly-6 yo (he did K last year) and CTG to my 8 and 10 yos. My 3 yo constantly is vying for attention (usually in not so nice ways). I won't suggest more toys, you've got those. Here's what's helped (some!) in our family:

1. Set aside date times with the little one. My three bigger kids go to 3 hours of classes on Wednesday so the 3 yo and I do special things. This week, it was the zoo. I'd rather clean and pay bills then, but she needs the attention then.

2. Look for old workbooks that are colorful so that the three year old can sit and "do school" with the older ones. We've got an old math workbook that didn't click with one of my older kids and now my younger one sits there and circles and doodles the drawings in the book. The book is way above her level, of course, but she feels important "getting out her math" when the others get out theirs.

3. Make extra copies of the ECC or CTG (whatever) pages for the 3 yo. My little one likes coloring in ECC flags or CTG history pages.

4. Give the 3 yo school supplies. All my bigger kids have their own colored pencils and real pencils and a glue stick in a special zipper pouch. So does my 3 yo.

5. Give the 3 yo chores along with the rest. At least, get the 3 yo a kiddie broom and dustpan or a dusting glove (we use the throw away Pledge brand ones).

6. If it helps, assign the bigger kids time slots to read to or play with the younger one. That will give you time with just one of the older ones for concentrating on tough math or spelling, etc. Or, use the time to nurse baby, etc. Sometimes attention from a sibling does the trick.

I'm going to be following this thread because we are definitely not "there" when it comes to an occupied preschooler.

HTH (and I would love other ideas too...)
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Nancy

Unread post by Nancy » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:42 am

Although my preschooler is just about to turn 4, I started her early observing the kids when they played their learning computer games. She caught on quickly with some strict instruction of what the rules are for the privilage of using the computer. I purchased a few toddler/preschool type games for her, but mostly we take advantage of our library. Most libraries should have quite a selection of learning games for all ages to borrow for free. I usually get about 3 choices for her (Jumpstart, Blues Clues, Reader rabbit, etc...). She thinks this is part of her school work and sits at the computer for up to a half hour to 45 min./ day. It's amazing at what she absorbs from some of these activities. Although I try not to rely on the computer to "babysit" her for too long, this has been a lifesaver when I need to work with the two older ones without distraction. Also, she has her own set of library "book basket time" books and LOTS of giant floor puzzles. We also make copies for her of some of the worksheets the older ones are doing. In fact, she informed me last night at dinner that we forgot to make the flag today! So I include her when I can, but sometimes the name of the game is just do whatever works for the moment. Once my dd figured out how to use her child-safe scissors, all I had to do was give her some scrap paper to cut and cut and cut some more. Big mess of scraps, but lots of quiet time:) HTH

momto4boys

Unread post by momto4boys » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:36 pm

Thanks Ladies!!!

Such great advice from all of you. I really appreciate your time. I don't know why I didn't think about getting him involved while we were doing things (i.e. flag, art etc...) probably b/c I wanted something to occupy him so I could school the others.....but that's not what it's all about.

My older two boys are 9 and 7. The 7 yo gets distracted easily, so I've just wanted my 3yo out of the picture. What a conviction!!!

It truely is a wonderful journey that we're on and I wouldn't change anything. Someone on another post had pics of her 3yo son "doing" school w/ playdoh, puzzles etc. and it REALLY ministered to me. I'll have to look it back up to see who that was.

Thanks again for helping me to press on!!

Tiffani
Wife of 13yrs to Mark, momma to Britton (1995), Brayson (1997), Rafe (2001) and Daniel (2003)

Ariasarias

3-year-olds - Sibling in 1st

Unread post by Ariasarias » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:33 pm

I have a 3 year old that has participated with first a little this year. She listens to Bible stories at times. I have used Hubbards Cupboard dot org as a resource from their 3's curriculum for some ideas to go along with the Bible stories.
Nicole, wife to Claudio since 1996, and mom to dd (2000), dd (2003), dd (2005), and ds (2009).

undivided heart

Including younger ones in MFW1 Bible

Unread post by undivided heart » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:54 am

Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:49 pm
Just wondering how some of you may be including your younger ones in the bible portion of MFW1. The content is so rich, so we want our Luke (age 3) to take in every way possible.

We tend to do our memory verse, books of the bible and some if not all of our bible story while we have breakfast, sometimes lunch and supper too, so as to include Luke. He really gets into this, and though the verses are a little complex for his age, he can sometimes fill in the gaps when Grace (age 6) hesitates on certain words. It is amazing! So, we like to find whatever we can to encourage his learning.

We just found a coloring book called "Thru the Bible Coloring Pages" for ages 3-6. He colors the picture(s) that coordinate with the bible topic and I put both his and Grace's art work up on a "line" I have pinned across our dining room windows with clothespins (which we have instead of curtains right now :o) and he is so proud. He has done several of the projects with us (bible costume, shepherds bag, etc) and we use bibles and devotionals on his level for the particular stories... but always looking for other simple ideas. thanks for your thoughts!

HeyChelle

What would you purchase for ages 4, 6, & 8?

Unread post by HeyChelle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:30 am

Pam in PA wrote:If I got the extra set of sheets for the 4yo to work along side the 6 yo, would I get the Kind. sheets again the next year for him, too? Things are becoming a bit more clear as I think it out.
Thanks,
Pam
Yes. That's what I am doing with my daughter. She was 3 when we started kindergarten, so a little younger. But she has to do everything her big brother does. She is learning a little, but I don't 'enforce' her school time. Sometimes she actually tries to the right thing on the sheets, but most of the time she just colors or cuts them to tiny, teeny, tiny pieces.
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog

erin.kate

Including a 3 year old in K? And preschool vs preK

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:08 am

far above rubies wrote:I have a toddler who will be 3 in December and wondering, is that an appropriate time to include him in some of the lessons? Or is it best for them to start off at the beginning of the year with the older sibling? If so, what parts are appropriate for them to do together? I take it the alphabet song? Read alouds?

I'm also trying to figure out, since he'll be 3 in December, if I should get him the preschool or preK packs? We've used both in the past and I guess because he's going to be 3 in December, I think of him as a 3 year old, but I guess in reality, he has a late birthday and I probably need to get him the toddler package?
My youngest will be 3 this December 30 ... after having done MFWK before I feel that he is really too young to experience it like you might hope. I have the Pre4/5 package as well as B4FIAR, and this seems to be more appropriate for that age. I honestly think that waiting and doing things to nurture their love of learning and their little spirits is so important at this stage. Lots of reading aloud to them, books, books, books, and discovery games, and outdoor playtime. MFWK is so sweet ... he will really love it more when he's a little older.

With that said ... this August I will have two in MFWK, one in ADV, and my 2yo. I will let him participate in as much or as little as he likes, but with the full intent to teach him K fully later on, and not miss it with him.

I hope that helps. Enjoy!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

Mom2theteam

Re: Including a 3 year old in K? And preschool vs preK

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:49 am

My oldest has an Oct. b-day and my 3 year old twins have a Dec. b-day. So far, I have definitely found it to be an advantage to look at them in terms of the younger age. So, my twins turned 3 this past Dec, but for the purposes of the school year, I consider them to be on the 2 year old side of things. I hope that makes sense. :~ My older son was 5 in Oct. For purposes of public school, he wouldn't have started K until next year when he was about to turn 6. I went ahead and started him in MFWK in Dec. I was thinking he was old enough since he just misses the age cut off for K by 2 weeks. It turns out he wasn't ready and we backed off.

For the few weeks that we did it, I also included my twins who had turned 3 about the same time we started. Really, it was very hard to have them at the table with us. They just weren't there yet. I think this fall will be much better for all of them. My K'er will be almost 6 and the twins will be closer to 4. Still though, I don't plan to require them to sit in with us. I would just do K with the K'er and let the 3 year old sit with you or not, whichever he wants. Some days he may want to sit with you and other days he may want to play.

As for the preschool or preK package, I bought the entire preK package for all 3 of my older kids and added in a couple of items from the preschool package that I thought would be beneficial. I made my own package. Ha, ha. All 3 of them love the Lauri toys, including the 5 year old. I feel it's been good for us and I'm glad I bought them. :-)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

far above rubies

Unread post by far above rubies » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:22 pm

Yep...my dd missed the cut off in one district by ONE DAY!!! ONE DAY!!!!!

I have an August birthday and while I was happy that I wasn't held back a year (this was all back at a younger age. LOL), as an adult, I think I would've thrived better if my parents had given me an extra year. Most of my friends were in the grade below mine and by the time I was in high school, I was so far behind in some classes, that I had to take math and science in the grades below mine anyway, finally getting caught up by the time I entered 12th grade. So for my 10th and 11th grade years, I had to take a mix of 9th/10th grade classes.

So while I've always wanted my children not to be behind in school, the more children I have (going on #5 now), I've often felt as though if I had a child born in the summer, I would go ahead and wait until the next fall to start them off.
K (2007-2008, 2011-2012), ADV (2010-2011), ECC (2011-2012)
2012-2013: CtG [dd (5th), ds (3rd), dd (1st), ds (3), and ds (1) ]

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:52 pm

I think that, if it were me, I'd include them as much as they are able, just for the pleasure of learning as a family. I'd still wait for "Kindergarten" until they are 5 going on 6. I know how hard it can be having so many early years before actual Kindy, but gosh, it's such a precious, and fleeting time, though I can see you have full hands. ;)

My oldest right now started the school year at 6 yo and is in MFW1st. She turned 7 at Thanksgiving, and while her motor skills are excellent, and her math and science abilities are incredible, she struggles with reading and narration. So, I'm really happy to have ADV next year as sort of that prep year for the oldest before beginning the 5-y history cycle.

I hope I didn't confuse you! But, it sounds like you have a great plan!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

Julie in MN

MFW K- suggestions for including 3 year old

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:11 pm

lea_lpz wrote:New here and posted yesterday and am just trying to get as much information and advice from seasoned moms as possible since I am new to homeschooling.

I have been "informally" working with my 2.5 year old and almost 5 year old for the last 6 months. My son participates in what he can. For example, I will have him color a picture while dd practices letters / name. He participates in flash cards, bible stories, spanish (we do this verbally only), etc, crafts, read alouds, etc.

Wanted some advice on what activities I could include him on in MFW K and also ways to keep him occupied when I need to work one on one with daughter. He still takes about an 1.5 - 2 hr. nap a day, but so does my daughter. I have tried to get her to skip it so we can spend time working on school uninterrupted, but she starts to melt after 2 or 3 days skipping the nap time. She's very active so I feel like maybe we should just continue until she grows out of wanting to nap on own. On the other hand, sometimes my toddler will not let me work with her one on one when she needs my full attention (ah, he's a mama's boy). Thanks. By the way, son will be 3 in June and daughter 5 in April.
Hi!
Just bumping you up. And hoping you've looked thru the Preschool & PreK Archives:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=2
And at the Preschool & PreK packages to help you along the way. I know my grandson has used these materials in many ways over the years:
http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/3/Todd ... 3#Overview
http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/4/Pre- ... /#Overview

Have fun with your littles,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: MFW K- suggestions for including 3 year old

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:03 am

another idea? have you heard MFW's workshop on Occupying Preschoolers?

http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/105/0/0/1
I'd get the cd

or, it's possible at least today to hear an online strreaming
http://hche.org/Mp3.jsp?id=164

but that link will be going soon from what I've figured out on that organizations website

gratitude

Re: MFW K- suggestions for including 3 year old

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:47 am

MFWs CD on occupying pre schoolers was helpful for me. I am sure the links Julie & Crystal gave you will be helpful too to read through.

My second son started MFWK right after his 5th Birthday during April of his pre-K year and then it stretched to right before his 6th Birthday during his K year. During that time my dd was 3 and turned 4 at the very end of his MFWK.

The way she participated in MFWK:
All hands on activities
She was in the room during any Bible playing with puzzles or toys.
Both have done all the science in older brothers curriculum since she was 2 (MFW1/ADV/etc.).
She sat on the couch listening and cuddling during any picture books that were read for MFWK.
She did not do the student sheets or the math.

Occupying toddlers:
When my third was 2 & 3 I used a lot of the following during home school time (it is a lot different with my fourth who has Down Syndrome.):
*Younger children at the same table as I am working with my older children with crayons, scissors, paper, washable markers, tape, and lots of Costco white paper. I still use this daily for my 5 year old, and 6 year old when he finishes before the 8 year old. It worked too when she was 3.
*Quiet play during Bible time with quiet toys that involve the hands but not the mind. I still use this daily.
*Play-doh at the same table.
*Puzzles at the same table.
*Stuffed animals in a big pile with blankets.
*Nap-time, which won't work in your situation until she drops nap.
*Letting them participate in all read-aloud books by cuddling and all hands on activities and all science experiments and all cooking projects.

I hope this helps! :-)

Mom2theteam

Teaching a 3 yo and 5yo with K curriculum?

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:21 pm

bethinga wrote:I'm very glad to find this forum! We've just started MFW K curriculum in May. I have a 5 1/2 yo boy, and an eager, tag-along 3 yo girl. Everything was running smoothly along, until my 5 yo began to get bored with the worksheets, rushing through them, and my 3 yo began to get frustrated with the parts she couldn't complete (yet stubbornly determined she's going to try). I'd been doing school with them together, but now may need to rethink things.

Both are extremely bright. My son is reading short words and sentences, and my daughter knows all of her letter sounds, and recognizes all upper and lower case letters. This is NOT from me pushing them; I am very laid back! They're both just very bright, and eager to learn! My son is just beginning to write very clearly, and my daughter can write a few simple letters.

I'm looking for advice on how to continue to teach them together, all the while making it easier on my 3 yo, and a bit more interesting for my 5 yo. She's happy to play with play-doh or watercolors, or watch her favorite show while I work with him--but not without frequent interruptions, because she wants my attention. He's happy to spend less time on the worksheets, and more time on the science; but, getting the worksheets completed each day, first, is such a hassle, with him getting bored, and her needing so much assistance.

I know this curriculum is very flexible; that's why I purchased it! We are enjoying it so much! Can you help me adapt it more to their personalities and needs, so we won't burn out?
My kids are similar age differences. They are now 6 and 4. I had a tough time with my then 3 year olds interrupting when we were trying to get stuff done too. Personally, I did not get mine their own worksheets for K and try to include them in that. I got them workbooks from Dollar Tree or Target or wherever they were cheap. LOL. They participated in crafts and activities and did their worksheets or colored while the older and I did his phonics and math. I also have the MFW K pre-school program. They "played" with the Lauri toys during school time sometimes too. It was a struggle a lot of days. We just did the best we could.

At this point, we are done with K. My older is moving on to 1st and my now 4 year olds really want to do something formal. I'm not going to start them in K because I just don't think they are ready to start K maturity wise. So, I found the Rod and Staff pre-K workbooks. I'm going to do those with them as we start 1st. I'm thinking it won't last the whole year and I'll start K with them early in 2013 on the K program.

Oh, and when my son started to need to move faster with the worksheets, we did more than one day at a time. That helped with the days the youngers derailed our efforts. We also sometimes did things a little differently. Like, the cut and paste page, we would do orally instead. Just adapt it to work for you. :D
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

afelton

Re: Teaching a 3 yo and 5yo with K curriculum?

Unread post by afelton » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:49 pm

Is he bored with all the worksheets or just certain ones? And if just certain ones then which ones?

I really think your daughter would enjoy the pre k from MFW. Not that it will keep her from interrupting but maybe a little less? :)
Using MFW since 2010.
Wife of Terry since 2002.
M (12) Exp to 1850
H(10) Exp to 1850
E (10) Learning God's Story(recently adopted)
C(8) Exp to 1850
J(6) Learning God's Story

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:44 pm

Hi there & welcome! :)

MFW is really wonderful about trying to protect our kids' love of learning. That's one of the reasons that K & 1st are designed the way they are. When you have a bright child - one who typically can be heard saying, "I know this, Mom."- that is the perfect opportunity to offer praise & build confidence. It's wonderful to be able to tell our kids, "Wow! God has given you such a sharp mind! I'm so thankful school isn't difficult for you. Let's breeze right on through this lesson and then you can have lots of play time." So many times I have found that my response can cause the pendulum to swing from one side to another (from "I'm bored," to "All right!") For the child who is interested in most everything, but doesn't like a particular activity, it's good to look at what & why (as another poster suggested). Is it the same sheet every week? Does this reflect an area that is difficult or just one that isn't enjoyed? It may be that we get to talk about doing tasks that we don't enjoy with an attitude that glorifies God. My go-to example is always cleaning the toilet. "I don't love that job, but aren't you glad Mom does it?" LOL.

As for the 3 year-old, there are many things to consider. Lots of 3-4 year-olds express an interest in learning to read and can be very proficient in reading well before kindergarten. However, most 3 year-olds do not necessarily have the physical skills needed for writing or the behavioral maturity to sit for table time without becoming frustrated (something we want to avoid to protect their love of learning). MFW encourages including younger children in the hands-on, fun activities only. Each child needs language arts and math on his own level. For a 3 year-old, we would recommend play - playing with numbers, shapes, letters; not necessarily doing phonics or other worksheets. Not because the child isn't bright enough, but because there are other developmental considerations to make. Not only do we want to give our little ones time to develop fine motor skills before asking them to do tasks requiring fine motion, we also want to see them develop emotional and spiritual maturity. Having an advanced reader doesn't mean we should necessarily advance our children into grade levels where they will constantly be working to cover a gap. Looking down the road, is giving our 12 year-old the work of a 14 year-old - dealing with older emotional and spiritual themes - what is best? I would suggest inviting your preschooler to participate in the activities, play the games, learn the songs, but no worksheets. Instead, how about working on skills that build kindergarten readiness, like lacing and tracing shapes, playing with the number puzzle boards and pegs (playing math vs. doing a worksheet), or other tactile, hands-on activities? This can be your younger child's math/phonics time. Also, a great suggestion I heard was to spend the first 15-30 minutes of the day with the preschooler. Once they have "eyeball time" with Mommy, they tend to feel safe enough - I'm being heard and seen, I can let Mommy do what she needs to with Brother - to cause less interruptions when it counts. You may even find that your older child appreciates having the one-on-one time for math and phonics as well - having something that is just his. :)

HTH - have a great day!

Paige Timer
My Father's World

bethinga

Unread post by bethinga » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:27 pm

Thank you all so much! I will try out these ideas! :)
Beth in GA
Mom to a boy and a girl
Using MFW since 2012

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:37 am

My kids are the same ages. I didn't buy worksheets for my 3 year old. I do these separately with my dd so I can give her my full attention. He'll typically watch cartoons or play while we do math and language. Then I will usually do his preschool activities, Before Five In a Row and an activity from MFW pre k; this only takes about a half hour tops! My dd is invited to join us which she typically does but can chose to have free time instead if she wants. I might start having my 3yo ds work on Rod and Staff when my dd does worksheets or just tack it onto preschool time--we'll just see what works. Then, we do prayer, bible, AWANA (during "school year") read alouds, and activities, which I invite my 3 year old to join me in but if he wants to go play he's free to do so. He'll typically participate. If he becomes disruptive I tell him that if he can't behave at school time he will have to go play in his room alone or I can put cartoons on for him but he can't stay if he's not quiet. He'll typically settle down at this point but occasionally I will have to send him out. My dd too sometimes dislikes doing the worksheets but I just tell her if we don't do this you won't learn to read (and she loves books) and we won't be able to do the fun project or activity until she finishes her worksheets. This will usually get her to move on with it. She always enjoys doing the art, bible, science, etc. activities and having me read books a loud. We try to get books from the book list relating to the topic from our library and read two a day on days 1-5 and only 1 (our book day choice) on day 6. This is working for me now but we are new to homeschooling and only on week 5, N n Nest at this point!

Side note: my ds is also pretty bright but I don't plan to combine my 3 & 5 year olds grades. My plan right now is for him to start MFW K at 5 when my dd is in 2nd doing Adventures, and MFW 1st when she is in 3rd, and have ds join / start cycle in 2nd. One suggestion you here a lot when the kids are close in age is let the older grade be the base / core curriculum and do the math / phonics at grade appropriate level for the younger sibling. So, if your older is doing Adventures, your older dd does Adventures as written, and your younger child does adventures as her core too, but does MFW K for math and language / phonics while the older girl does independent work since she already participated in MFW K for everything but math and language 2 years ago. This how I plan to do it if time restraints make doing both programs as written hard (1 1/2 hrs K + 3 1/2 hrs. Adventures =5 hrs vs. 3 hours Adventures + 1/2 hr. to hour MFW K phonics / math only with 2nd grader doing independent work = 3 1/2 hrs.) I don't know about you but I want to have school done before lunch so we can have free afternoons, so I want a school day no longer then 4 hours in the younger grades! :)
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Side note: my ds is also pretty bright but I don't plan to combine my 3 & 5 year olds grades. My plan right now is for him to start MFW K at 5 when my dd is in 2nd doing Adventures, and MFW 1st when she is in 3rd (not sure, we might do Prarie Primer, or American Girlhood, or ECC), and have ds join / start cycle in 2nd. One suggestion you here a lot when the kids are close in age is let the older grade be the base / core curriculum and do the math / phonics at grade appropriate level for the younger sibling. So, if your older is doing Adventures, your older dd does Adventures as written, and your younger child does adventures as her core too, but does MFW K for math and language / phonics while the older girl does independent work since she already participated in MFW K for everything but math and language 2 years ago. This how I plan to do it if time restraints make doing both programs as written hard (1 1/2 hrs K + 3 1/2 hrs. Adventures =5 hrs vs. 3 hours Adventures + 1/2 hr. to hour MFW K phonics / math only with 2nd grader doing independent work = 3 1/2 hrs.) I don't know about you but I want to have school done before lunch so we can have free afternoons, so I want a school day no longer then 4 hours in the younger grades! :)

Tracey in ME

Any advice for the overwhelmed?

Unread post by Tracey in ME » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:19 pm

MyThreeBlessings wrote:Hi! We have decided to homeschool our children and are excited and overwhelmed at the same time. Our oldest did public kindergarten last year. I would really love some advice to help steer us in the right direction and get this journey started off right. We have two girls and one on the way. I have poured over curriculum, and I keep coming back to My Father's World. We are going to try it this first year!

Does anyone have any advice for a novice who has absolutely no idea on homeschooling her children? I am so sorry for all of the questions; I'm just a little lost. Thanks so much in advance! :)
First of all...welcome to homeschooling and MFW!
Is it hands-on and creative?
You bet! But, without being TOO overwhelming. You can do as much or as little of the projects as you want. DON'T feel obligated to do them all. The Hazel's (creators of MFW) don't even do everything.
Is there any way at all to involve my just-turned 3 year old with her sister's 1st grade lessons?
Sure! Have her hang out with you two, if she wants. My 4yo has learned a TON the last two years just sitting at the table with me and my 7yo by coloring, playing with PlayDoh, painting, or even sitting on my lap. I let him come and go as he pleased. He learned his ABC's, Letter names, letter sounds, colors, numbers...and I didn't work with him at ALL on them! Well, unless you count when he sits on my lap and asks me to write all of what I mentioned. ;)
How do I do preschool with her and teach my oldest 1st grade at the same time?
You won't! Lol...well, at least I wouldn't. First grade doesn't take very long. Unless you are really tight on time, you could do preK first or after your first grader. In other words, work with them separately. Or, if your 1st grader wants to play with the stuff, let them both!

...I think I worded that wrong. By all means always let another child join in with the fun! Unless, of course, it is a high schooler who is behind in their work and is stalling by watching your 1st grader make a cloud. ;)
Last edited by Tracey in ME on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/

Ohmomjacquie

Re: Any advice for the overwhelmed?

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi! Others answered you already but wanted to share that I have 2 preschoolers 2.5 and 4yo and so far they have really enjoyed joining in with the fun acivities of adventures! We made our boats yesterday and they had a blast!
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi! Good to have you along!

I think you won't have any trouble finding ways to include your 3 yr. old in MFW 1st. Bible, Book Reading time, Science projects (watching ants eat honey on bread, making a "cloud" with steam... lots of fun!), and Art will be a lot of fun for the two of them to do together.

It is a great blessing to homeschool our precious children - one you will never regret. Have a wonderful year!
Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

MyThreeBlessings

Unread post by MyThreeBlessings » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:59 pm

I cannot thank you all enough! Seriously, from the bottom of my heart, thank you!! I am so excited and passionate about starting MFW with our kids, and I just want to make sure that I am doing everything right. It is really exciting to be able to school them together in a few years. I am going to do preschool with my 3yo, and I am absolutely positive my 6yo will want to participate as well. I am going to put together some little workboxes for the little one and let her do some manipulatives or Starfall for when the lessons are over her head, and she can participate in other areas.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on a good program to teach a foreign language to the whole family? We would like to find something kid friendly that my husband and I could use as well. Thanks to you all so much!

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:05 am

My kids are 3 & 5. My son (3) is able to participate in a lot of MFW K, like the Bible, science, art, read alouds, etc. I also use the MFW PreK toys for 3-5 year old and my dd will do the activity too just for fun. I was very impressed with the index cards ( I'm just not all that creative), as well as the Hide 'Em In Your Heart CD, which we will listen to in the car a lot! :-)

When my K'er is doing language / math I will give him something to do quietly, like color (ie scribble) or play with the kids puzzle, but if he can't be quiet I tell him he can watch cartoons, play with his toys or stay but do his work quietly and let him choose. He'll often settle down and choose to stay, and although he doesn't do the worksheets, I know he picks up a lot on numbers and letters because he'll just randomly blurt something out I was teaching my k'er and he'll pick it up just from sitting there indirectly!

MFW PreK toys activities take about 5 minutes each, tops. You might also consider Rod and Staff because the workbooks coordinate so well with the years your dd will be doing!

lea_lpz

Daily schedule with times laid out

Unread post by lea_lpz » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:19 pm

joyb wrote:Not sure if there is a post out there already about something like this, but I am new to homeschooling and MFW, and am just trying to get a sense of what kind of daily schedule I might try to keep. I will have a 2nd grader doing Adventures, a 1st grader doing some Adventures and the 1st grade curriculum, and a 2 year old who is very needy!
My kids are pre-k & 1st. I also have a stepson, 9, who attends ps where mom lives,
so over the summer I am working on his problem areas- multiple / division tables, handwriting, and reading.
This is a sample for tomorrow. Electives vary. Time frames are usually the same.
8:00 am: Bible
8:15 am: Daily Drills-calendar, weather chart, # of day activities, chore chart, and poem for the month recitation
8:45 am: Read alouds
9:00 am: Lang and math seat work with 1st grader; dss works on math worksheet & handwriting worksheet
9:30 am: Preschool time for pre-k'er and dss reads silently any library book he picked out of his choice
10:00 am: am snack & break
10:30: music appreciation while looking at art (we're using Can You Hear It?
10:45 am: Art (drawing with children)
11:00 am: Spanish
11:30 am: Reading review
11:45 am: science experiments on seeds & flowers + 1 pg. in science journal (from last week)
12:30 pm: lunch

We usually start at 8:00 am and end at 12 pm with a mid morning break (and each child gets a break when I do one on one work with the other right now.

Note: we have some add ins and like to add in more science plus I do a seperate preschool time to work one on one with my littlest so this is how we get a 3-4 hour day depending on what we are doing :)

Joy homeschool-I am so impressed with your schedule and ability to be done by 12:00 pm! It is my goal we can do this up until junior high at least so I love to know others can do it :)