Preparation - No big yellow bus

Using MFW Preschool & Pre-K Packages, as well as occupying babies and toddlers while teaching
jasntas

Preparation - No big yellow bus

Unread post by jasntas »

maritime momma wrote:Hi everyone! I was around the board earlier this year and have been absent tending to a newborn, born April 1st.... I'm glad to be back amongst you all and look forward to catching up on missed threads! As I do that, I ask you this:

Our DD3 often talks about "When I'm bigger, I'm going to go to school just like (so and so)" or when she sees a school bus, she can't keep her excitment from expressing how she'll get to ride on one when she's "bigger". Besides generally talking about how some children "go to" a school and some children "go to" school at home (not stating what she will be doing), I haven't discussed this with her yet. She often catches me off guard, and I am just not quite sure how I want to reply. I don't want to her to have a negative attitude toward homeschooling whatsoever and I know I have to proceed carefully. Ideas or suggestions or personal experiences?

Thanks in advance, Audrey
One thing that comes to mind is this. Maybe you could take her on a city bus ride. Maybe you could wait and do this on her first official day of school. That's all I've got right now. Hopefully others will have some great ideas for you. :)

P.S. There is a school bus that picks up a neighbor kid next door to us every school day about 6:30 a.m. My dc are very happy that they don't have to be up and ready by 6:30 a.m. every day. But they are older.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.
cbollin

Re: Preschooler's "big school" comments

Unread post by cbollin »

typing at same time as Tammie... how funny to see we wrote the same thing....

I never really had that problem....

from the files of friends of mine who have... (either homeschooling, or walking to school, or even being driven to private school)

*tell them The school you go to, you will _____ to get there. Would you like to ride the city bus a few times this weekend? (then, take them on a bus ride so the novelty wears off)
*first official day of homeschooling: pack up the kids in the van, drive to the park. especially right after the school bus leaves your area...

ok... there was the one time that one of my daughters (middle gal) was a little sad that she never rode the bus to church like her friends did. I never knew it was a dream of hers. So, she was really excited one day when she got to ride with them on a short church trip to sing christmas carols for some church members.

that's how it was done for friends of mine. Some of them saw school buses all the time, but lived so close, they weren't eligible for bus ride. (public school kids). They got over it. Some of them went to private schools with no bus service. They got over it.

I'm guessing if you slowly explain over time that the school she will go to, she doesn't need a bus. (and the offer of a ride on a city bus might settle it for a while that it's not that exciting.... this from someone who rode public school bus from K-12! even my senior year I had to ride the bus. talk about embarrassing. I think I was the only senior who didn't have a friend with a car who would pick her up.)

-crystal
gratitude

Unread post by gratitude »

Have you decided yet if you plan to home school for K? If you have you could start telling her now. If you are still undecided you could tell her about the different ways different children go to school and include home schooling among the choices, and then add that she might go to school at home or at a school building.

I think how much you tell children this age is very different for each child depending on their experience, books they have had read to them, and so so many factors.

Prayers for your decision, if you have not decided yet if you will home school or not.
Last edited by gratitude on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
maritime momma

Unread post by maritime momma »

A BIG thank you for the replies thus far. Great ideas! We live in a very rural area - the entire province of Prince Edward Island has less than 150,000 people and the closest "city" is home to about 14,000 people - so we don't have any city buses near-by to experiment with. Charlottetown, the capital city, did just begin a sort of bus system, which we could certainly try sometime - we live about 80kms away.
gratitude wrote:Have you decided yet if you plan to home school for K?
We are almost certain to be homeschooling and using MKWK in 2013. DD will be 5 mid-March, but I am not yet sure if we will begin then or wait til that fall. I do intend to hs year round once we get started, but I'm not sure when exactly we will be starting yet! By April 1st, DDs will be 5 and 2 or I may wait til September. I haven't thought out the details yet.

Thanks again for your comments and am anxious to read any others too! Audrey
"While we teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life's all about." ~unknown
Audrey: Happy wife to Jason of 9 yrs, DD Clara - 3 (MFW PreK) & sweet newborn DD Renée, born April 1
Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN »

I imagine that she is copying something that she heard from another adult or a TV show or something. At 3, I don't think she has fully thought through getting on that bus, leaving mommy behind, and spending several hours in a building. I personally wouldn't say too much.

Where we live, you have to live one mile from school in K-5 and two miles from school in 6-12 before you ride the bus. Otherwise, you walk or get a ride or your parents can pay for the bus. So, going to school doesn't guarantee riding the bus even for kids heading to public school.

My ds took the school bus for K-2. He liked getting on and having all the kids say hi Reid! sit by me!, but by the time they got to school they were 3-in-a-seat, he was hot (even in MN winter), the bus driver was yelling and possibly pulling over, and he absolutely hated it. He begged me daily to drive him, both ways. However, after a year or two at home, he had the *nerve* to tell me that the one thing he missed about public school was... riding the bus! Kids don't know what they're talking about half the time :~ Don't take their words too seriously.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat »

Mayhap the bus fascination will end on its own, but honesty about the special benefits of homeschooling might also help!

When my daughter was 4 (she's now 5), she didn't have a fascination with school buses, but she did get wistful about passing the public school building where her older cousin attended. We would drive past on our way to the lake on birdwatching excursions, and on more than one occasion she would sigh and say, "There's Brennen's school. But I won't get to go to it, because I have to be homeschooled..."

You could just tell that she thought amazingly fun things happened in there! One day I couldn't take it any more and I commented, "You know, Gail, those children in that school got there very early this morning, before you even got up. And they're going to be there for a long, long time today. Even if their Daddy was off on Tuesday like yours, they wouldn't be able to go birdwatching with him and their Momma. They would just have to stay in school. But because you're going to be homeschooled, you WILL get to go do fun things with us when Daddy's off and most other children are at school."

That changed her tune, and after a couple months of not commenting about it when we passed, one day she sighed and said, "Those poor children in there, sitting in school all day long. I'm glad I'm going to be homeschooled."

The irony is, her cousing Brennen (who she envied for being in school), is now homeschooled! He never really liked public school that much, and had health issues which made him miss a great deal of time. Now he stays with my parents across the road from us during the week while his parents work, and if Gail went to that once-tantalizing public school, she wouldn't even get to see him!!!!

P.S. My 5 year old daughter would be so envious of YOU, Audrey, for living on Prince Edward Island! She is a huge Anne of Green Gables fan. She listened intently to the unabridged audio version of the book and she adores the movie. Let's just say that she named her pet turtle "Cordelia" because "Cordelia is a perfectly elegant sort of name."
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!
Missy OH

Unread post by Missy OH »

I just wanted to tell you what has satisfied my young children. I found out it really wasn't the "school building" they were interested in, but the small things such as a backpack, lunch box, and yes a bus ride. :) My dc get opportunities to ride the bus at our church quite frequently so this is fixed for me now, but when my boys were younger I had to look for a bus ride opportunity. We have a museum nearby that you had to ride a bus over to a "new part" and this made them so happy. Before the school year starts my younger children get a backpack and lunchbox when we do our school shopping supplies. The backpack comes in handy for the library and trips to memaw's house. The lunch box is great for field trips.

After a couple of years of homeschooling my dc seem satisfied with what we are doing and do not ask to go to school. They meet other homeschooling, and realize they are not the only ones.

Blessings,
Missy
meljen

Unread post by meljen »

Our children did the same thing. We have other children at our apartment complex here, and they would leave for what our kids used to call 'real school'. Our kids also wanted to ride on the bus they saw coming and going on our street every day.

What I did was explain to them that homeschool *is* 'real school. It's just that they get to be home with family, with our cats, and with me as their teacher. We all get to be together in a warm learning environment and I can sit with them and help them with everything step-by-step. I have explained that public schools have all of the kids in bigger groups and they can't get help as easily. I try to be light in explaining this though as I don't want to make it sound negative. But I did read an article somewhere that kids usually want to go to public school because of the bus ride and their friends. Those are the big things. If you think about it, highschool is especially this way. They want to be around kids and have new clothes and cool things and whatnot. It's not really that they want to go for the *school* part. So keep that in mind. It's the bus and the other kids that are catching your child's attention.

Anyway just remind them that homeschool is 'real school' too, it's just that they do it at home. And yes I would suggest field trips and fun bus rides. That definitely helps if you can take them on fun adventures. And if they need playmates, be sure to pay mind to that. Our children do well as they play with each other alot, and we also have a yard and trees and bikes, and sometimes other kids they can play with. Not often, but they have things to keep them busy and entertained. :-)

Just my experience!
DD 7, DS 5
Using MFW K & 1st for the first time (2011)
jasntas

Unread post by jasntas »

I think keeping it light right now is a good idea. As she gets older and closer to school age you could find out what about school, besides the bus, that she may be fascinated by.

My ds went to pub school for 1st and 2nd so I found out what he thought he would miss and I recreated what I could. For instance, on the first day of school we went on a field trip. (And many more throughout the year. Of course I pointed out that in pub school they only went on one field trip a year.) On the second day of school my two got a backpack full of 'school supplies' such as colored pencils, note pads, etc. And they did an 'all about me' page I put in their school notebooks.

I also had to get a planets model to put together because the pub school had taken the kids on a 'field trip' to the next school the students would be attending the following year. (I was unaware of this until after the fact. I would have let him go but still didn't appreciate that I didn't know about it ahead of time.) They had talked about how they would be studying the planets, etc. My ds was so disappointed that astronomy was not going to be our science for that year. (We did ADV). But he found out at the end of that school year that they actually did very little science. A friend's child is in the same grade. Knowing my ds loves science, she gave him her science workbook from the year. VERY LITTLE had been completed in it and she said they really only did what amounted to a mini study of the planets at the end of the year and a few other random pages. (To impress the younger grade as they take their tour, no doubt.)

My dc have been learning along the way that pub school is not all it's cracked up to be. I do try to point out that there is good and bad with each situation and try not to make pub school too negative a subject. Especially since they have cousins and friends in pub school. But I do let them know that, just like hs, it's not just all fun and games.

I wouldn't worry about it too much and just deal with each situation as it comes up. :)

Just a random thought. Just wondering if maybe you could take a train ride if possible in lieu of a bus ride since that's not available ??
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.
kacairo1

Unread post by kacairo1 »

When the topic comes up in our family we say, "God tells some mommies and daddies to send their children to 'building school' and tells other mommies and daddies to send their children to 'home school'--just like you! Isn't that exciting?!"
~Kelly~
Married to my high school sweetheart for 12 years!
Four beautiful gifts later:
Rachel (7.5)--ECC; CC; M-U-S
Joshua (6)--1st; CC; M-U-S
Luke (4.5)--MFW preschool; Liberty Press K book; ABC Bible Verses
Lydia (2.5)--dress-up queen
maritime momma

Unread post by maritime momma »

Wow, your replies have made for such a great read. I will certainly take most suggestions to heart. I definitely agree that at her young age, it's simply about the actual bus ride and not all that it entails (early mornings, big classes, away from us, etc.). We already do A LOT of "field trips" - I naturally like to always be on the go (too much so that I need to really force myself to stay home to catch up on housework - but that's a whole other topic!). Unfortunately, we don't have any trains on the Island either, but I am sure we will be able to work around the bus comment.

Thanks for all your insight; I especially love this response though...
kacairo1 wrote:When the topic comes up in our family we say, "God tells some mommies and daddies to send their children to 'building school' and tells other mommies and daddies to send their children to 'home school'--just like you! Isn't that exciting?!"

I love this board, you are all so great!
"While we teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life's all about." ~unknown
Audrey: Happy wife to Jason of 9 yrs, DD Clara - 3 (MFW PreK) & sweet newborn DD Renée, born April 1