* All Aboard the Animal Train! -- Preschool for 3s

Using MFW Preschool & Pre-K Packages, as well as occupying babies and toddlers while teaching
Marie

* All Aboard the Animal Train! -- Preschool for 3s

Unread post by Marie » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:35 am

I am so excited to announce a new preschool program for 3s from My Father’s World --
All Aboard the Animal Train!
See our website for full information.
https://www.mfwbooks.com/products/3/Pre ... /#Overview

When I had the joy of an extended visit last summer from my almost 3-year-old grandson, I knew we had to have some fun! Ideas just kept coming and coming -- I am so thankful that God inspired me and helped me in so many practical ways. For one year, Nana (that's me) enjoyed precious times with her grandson. Many pilot families helped us test this program and make it even better.

All Aboard the Animal Train is our new year-long preschool learning adventure for 3s.
Hands-on learning couldn’t be simpler! Easy-to-teach activities are all scheduled for you, with almost no preparation. (Who has time to gather ribbon in 6 colors, cut out 50 little penguins, or plan new activities every day?) Your child will learn about 12 animals (one in each unit) through read aloud books, finger plays, creative play, and colorful animal cookie cutters. We’ve even designed our own CD, Sing for Joy.

Each of the 12 three-week units focuses on a character trait, a color, and an animal. For example, Unit 1 focuses on love (God loves us so we love God and others), rabbits, and red. In Unit 1 your child will:
• Hear Bible stories about God’s love, sing a Bible song (CD included) about God’s love, participate in simple character-developing activities, and create a unit poster (from the Student Sheets) to display during the unit.
• Help make red play dough from scratch, enjoy trying red foods, and go on a red color hunt around the house.
• Pretend to be a rabbit, learn a rabbit finger play, listen to stories about rabbits, and make a rabbit-shaped sandwich with cookie cutters included in Package.

We really appreciate the many moms who helped us pilot a preliminary version this past year. They have blessed us all by their diligence.Their many comments have helped make this program even better, and their encouragement has kept a smile on our faces.

Marie
P.S. If you have older children as well, see this post below: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15263&p=100897#p100896

manyblessings

Re: All Aboard the Animal Train!

Unread post by manyblessings » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:36 am

Hooray! I look forward to special times with my youngest daughter and MFW Preschool 8)
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

blessedjourney

Unread post by blessedjourney » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:09 am

This pre- school curriculum looks wonderful!
I was very curious to see what it would all contain when you first launched that you were working on it.

This fall I will be teaching Rome to Reformation to my 5th and 3rd grader, as well as kindergarten to my 6 year old. In addition I have a 3 year old and a new born. We have previously not done pre-school curriculum - all our kids have just tagged along their older siblings, and they have learned a lot this way. Since all our children are born in the mid to late summer they have all started kindergarten at age 6. This has worked really well.
My question is, how doable would it be to do the pre-school curriculum with my 3 year old on top of teaching RR and Kindergarten?( And care for our new baby who is soon arriving;-)
Any recommendations? Would MFW consider selling just the book package? My 3 year old knows most colors and animals, and can count some as he hears his siblings do it. I really loved what I saw of the pre-school package - I am just wondering how I am going to fit it all....! :)
My 5th grader was on an 8th grade spelling level this past year ( 4th grade ) consumes all kinds of books, and can work very independently, whereas my 3rd grader just this passed school year( 2nd grade ) got comfortable with her reading and still needs help with her writing. She is very strong in all subjects, especially problem solving and math, and has an incredible memory - but hearing differences in sounding and writing words is still a work in progress for her. So I know she will need close help with this part.
Any advice and ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Marie

All Aboard the Animal Train -- if you also have older children

Unread post by Marie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:05 am

When I began writing our new preschool program, we knew it would work well for families with preschoolers as the oldest child. But during the pilot program, we discovered that activities in the Teacher’s Manual also work well for families with several older children. Moms appreciated having something simple yet special to do with their preschooler.

The All Aboard the Animal Train Teacher's Manual is very easy to follow. And it doesn’t take much extra time out of your day. Your youngest child can enjoy special Mommy Time first thing each morning for about 15 minutes, an easy activity that takes almost no preparation, while your others are doing something independent (or joining in the fun). Or an older child might enjoy helping you teach your preschooler.

Then let your preschooler join in some of the older children’s activities during the rest of the day.

If time is short, save Story Time each day until bedtime. Maybe this is something Dad would enjoy for special time with your youngest. Surprise Time (semi-independent) is something an older child can help supervise, and it helps keep your preschooler productively busy during the day. Outside Time is something we all need to include in our day – letting our children just play and be outside.

In your situation, because you will be teaching our kindergarten program, you might decide that you'd prefer not to add the preschool TM. It's really up to you. Your preschooler will definitely enjoy fully participating in the kindergarten activity each day (the Bible/hands-on activity part, not the reading/math).

Another option is our Preschool Educational Toy Package which is designed for those who want a collection of preschool educational toys but not a daily preschool curriculum.

Enjoy the journey with your jewels.
Marie

blessedjourney

Unread post by blessedjourney » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:46 am

Thank you Marie,
Both for the speedy reply and for all the good ideas/advice. It is a great help as we prepare for the next school year.
You really gave me several good options I can pray about and I appreciate it.

We have done MFW for 4 years now and we absolutely love the curriculums you have designed. I appreciate so very much the structure and that everything is included in the package so I do not have to put things together, let alone wonder if I am missing/forgetting something! ( Growing up I went to public school in Europe, so for me it was important to have a curriculum that I could trust covered everything that would be mandatory here in the states). Even supplies like crayons, glue, kraft paper and such are listed in all teachers manuals so all I have to do is gather and stock up from that list. MFW curriculum is a perfect fit for our need, and truly a life saver and peace maker in the way that it is so organized and structured.

On top of it all, why we treasure it so much, is how God is placed at the center in everything we study, everything we encounter each day. Everyday we can point the children to Jesus numerous times in the midst of our school time. We are so grateful for all the work you have put into developing these curriculum packages. God bless you in abundance for it all.
Thanks
Camilla

NJCheryl

3.5 yr old and 18 month old curriculum - New to MFW

Unread post by NJCheryl » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:32 pm

Astromonkey wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:38 am
I am new to MFW and also new to homeschooling and am trying to choose curricula. My children will be 3.5 yrs. and 18 months in January. We hope to start in January and I am unsure as to whether I should get both the All Aboard (2yr) material for the younger one and the pre-K for the older one. If I did that, does anyone have advice on how I might structure the day considering there are two curricula? For the younger one, since he will not yet be 2 when we start, should I approach it slowly, and circle back to the material that might be too mature for him right now, or simply not start until he is ready? Thank you for your help.
I would go with all aboard. I have 5 children ages 15, 12, 9, 3 and 2. My 2 little ones are doing all aboard this year and it has been great. my 2 year old just turned 2 in Sept. and my 3 year old will be 4 in Dec. Although he is on the older side, I chose all aboard so we could do it together. It wis working well. Sometimes my 2 year old wanders away and i allow that since she is so young.

Cheryl

PS. I would suggest getting 2 sets of the enrichment/surprise time items...otherwise they just fight over them.

Astromonkey

Re: 3.5 yr old and 18 month old curriculum - New to MFW

Unread post by Astromonkey » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:50 pm

Thank you so much for your helpful feedback and the hint about getting 2 sets of the enrichment/surprise time items.

lea_lpz

Re: 3.5 yr old and 18 month old curriculum - New to MFW

Unread post by lea_lpz » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:04 pm

I have an 18 month old and have been eying All Aboard. I cannot imagine her using it now. I will likely wait until the fall she turns 3. Then at 4, the pre-k package. Who knows? Maybe they'll make a new program for 4's.

I think your best bet is to do it with your 3 year old and let the 18 month old tag along if she likes or while she naps with just the three year old. It's only an hour program so that should be doable.

I think an 18 month old is probably too young.

You can always try it with her later when she's 3, or let her tag along with k then.

I did k with dd then 5, and ds then 3. Fun year. He followed along with everything except worksheets and still remembers that year.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

lisaroberts

Preschool thoughts....

Unread post by lisaroberts » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:40 pm

kw4blessings wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:34 pm
I love the look of the new All Aboard the Animal Train preschool program. I just started my third child on K this fall and have never used a formal preschool program with any of my kiddos. This program makes me want to, though! My youngest is 2 1/2, so next year would be the perfect time to do this with him.

I'm just worried I won't have the time to use it and get my money's worth, so to speak. I'll be using CTG with my oldest two and LGS with my 6yo. Adding one more thing on seems a bit overwhelming. I'm thinking I could purchase it and go half speed, spreading it out over two years. [Or, wait for pre-K,] bc the following year we'd be working on only RTR with all three of my oldest kiddos. Any other suggestions are welcome too! Thanks!
I bought a few of the books recommended to use to have as special "school" books for my 3.5 year old when he wants to do school. Most of the time he just plays outside or plays with his legos while his older sister does school (LGS - 1st). When I was choosing for him, I just looked through the books listed in the 2-3 and the 4 year old curricula on here and chose the books that I thought he would like best, as well as one of the music CDs. It's not much but I knew I wouldn't have time to do a lot with him this year. I also used some other hands on things I had acquired over the years and we just do it when he's interested.

Customer Service has been great with me any time I've had a question. We love MFW! :)

Also I just read a post a few lines down called "Teaching Multiple Grades" that might interest you. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15317

Have a good night,
Lisa

lea_lpz

Re: Preschool thoughts....

Unread post by lea_lpz » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:53 pm

It could be tricky but I think it really depends on family dynamics and what other commitments you have.

I have thought of getting the toy package next year so she could have some special "school toys" and then do All Aboard the following year. When my dd is 3 my older two will be in one program so I think that it might be doable but only time will tell.

Another idea for you could be to start after the holidays and go at a slower pace, spreading it over a year and a half versus a whole two years.

Also how old are your kids in the family cycle? Maybe they can help out by doing some of the preschool activities and some of the 1st grade so you can focus your preschooler or first grader while the other is occupied?

Missy OH

Unread post by Missy OH » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:53 am

You might have time to do the preschool program. It is set up like this: pick/up clean up time (chores) which you probably already do, together time activities and suggested reading takes us about 20 minutes :), surprise time about 15 minutes, and then outside time which you probably already do. It doesn't have to be done all at once. You can spread it out during the day.

I only have three school age kids at home now. They are in 8th, 6th, and 4th grades, 3yo and 1yo, plus 3 young adult children who still need my attention (thankfully). We always do chores before school so this didn't add any time. After I do bible and start math with the 6th and 4th graders, I do the together time activities. Usually plays alone after this and we do surprise time a bit later in the morning. A lot of times one of her sisters will over see this. At lunch we go outside which we do that anyway. I read to her before nap and bedtime. iwo uld do this anyway, and Ijus t add suggested books from the library list to our bookbasket to choose from.

The TM has a list of play activities you can do also. I put mine on a clip board in the kitchen so that we can glance at it the times the two little ones need some energy directed at something a bit tamer than running around the house screaming. :) They are easy to do on fly. Things you probably already do, but this old mama's brain is tired and pulled in so many directions that it is nice to just let the list do a little thinking for me.

I don't worry about doing everything perfectly, but we still enjoy it.

You can always continue the preschool program in the summer, too, because it really is just about playing, reading, and spending time with your little ones. It doesn't have a schoolish feeling to me. Marie did a great job at making it fit naturally in our day. Your kids will be fine whether or not you use it. :) None of my other dc did preschool. :) We just read good books from the library, they joined in activities with the older ones and jumped in a MFWK. Worked just fine for them.

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:53 am

lea_lpz wrote:I am at this point planning to do All Aboard when my dd is 3. I thought of doing next fall but will have twin six month olds, so might not be good timing!
Just a thought....I have 2 sets of twins. You will have a much easier time getting things done when your twins are 6 months old than you will when they are 12 or 14 months old. It seems tough when they are infants (and it can be at times!), but then....they start to walk....and run....in two different directions. That's when it really takes a turn toward crazy. LOL!!!! It's so much fun though. I love having twins and would do it again if I could. Congratulations!
lea_lpz wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:52 pm
That's an idea. I know that homeschooling when my now toddler was an infant and me and her found our groove wasn't too bad as she slept a lot! And my dd is showing signs of wanting to do school, such as grabbing board books when we do read alouds, trying to color or paint, coming and wanting to sit at the table with us, interested in what we're doing.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:40 pm

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and suggestions. I ended up talking it over with my husband and he encouraged me to go ahead and get the All Aboard program! Go figure! I thought he wouldn't want me to spend the money, but he encouraged me to use it to carve out the time in the day to spend with our little guy. We used to read/sing more with our first 2-3 children. The younger ones just don't seem to get as much of our one on one attention do they? This will be a great opportunity to do that!

I'm planning to start in the spring and work slowly through the next school year. By then, I expect the 4yo program will be out and we can do that one too. Yay! I'm so excited! :-)

I just placed our order for next year and was pleasantly surprised to see the curriculum packages discounted. Bonus! We'll be doing CTG with my oldest two, LGS with my 6yo boy and All Aboard with my little fella. Can't wait. I love MFW!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

courtney1978

All Aboard the Animal Train has arrived!!

Unread post by courtney1978 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:05 pm

I have one REALLY excited three year old on my hands. He just turned three last week. He has wanted his own school so badly all year and I need this structure for accountability. This box will provide that for him and for me!! His big brother (kinder) and big sister (2nd) are both excitedly doing Adventures this year. I am thrilled to have such a great program delivered to my door and don't take it lightly that we are so blessed to have this available to us. We always thought he would attend preschool outside the home like the other two, but watching their relationships blossom and knowing that this program was around this year has changed our minds.

My big kids want to help do preschool, so I envision some group preschool time some mornings, where our preschooler is the CENTER of attention and learning. WHAT FUN!!

Thank you My Father's World!!

kw4blessings

Re: All Aboard the Animal Train has arrived!!

Unread post by kw4blessings » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:03 pm

Yay! So exciting! We just purchased All Aboard for my youngest for the same reason. I need some structure with him and he is feeling quite left out this year (and getting into lots of trouble :~ ), being finally the only one not doing "school". He'll be 3 in February and I plan to start right around then with him. He was also thrilled to get "his" box and calls it "My cool". :-) The watercolors have drawn his special attention. Eek!

Have fun!!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

manyblessings

Excited about Animal Train!!

Unread post by manyblessings » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:46 pm

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful 1st week! And we had a great time getting books at the library from the book list! Makes me want to homeschool my 11th grader again :) At least my teen has online school, so she was able to jump in and help her baby sister with Surprise Time :-)
Lourdes

manyblessings

Praise for Animal Train

Unread post by manyblessings » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Some of the things I love about Animal Train for my 3 year old:
The schedule-defined enough to help keep me organized but flexible enough to allow for the unexpected.
Together time-I love how it gently encourages the kids to help out around the house. It has had a domino effect with my teens ;)
Surprise time-my daughter has been learning to occupy herself purposefully while I am otherwise occupied :)
Storytime-I absolutely adore the storytime selections! Wonderful virtues, Bible stories, and great animal stories!
Outside time-a gentle daily reminder to get out of the house, even if it's just a little while, and especially because we live in a little apartment!
The recipes-easy, healthy, and fun! It's been a long time since I've had a little one, so these recipes that appeal to preschoolers yet are healthier than some store-bought options are an indispensable tool-and even the teens like them :)
The activities-I love how they follow a routine, yet gradually introduce new skills and concepts week by week. They are so perfect for this age.
The teacher's manual-very thorough. I really appreciate the shopping lists for each unit!
The student sheets-saves me from hunting for age-appropriate on-topic worksheets online and using up reams of paper and lots of ink like I used to :-)
The book lists-encourages me to make an outing to the library every few weeks to hunt for wonderful read-alouds, and my daughter looks forward to these trips!
Lourdes

klewfor3

Re: Praise for Animal Train

Unread post by klewfor3 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:48 pm

I really enjoyed reading your praises!

I had nixed the preschool program I had bought for my older kids (as I felt it was unnecessary) but now that I have a soon to be 3 yr old (my last little one), I am thinking about spending some "quality" time with him and think this might be a good choice. It sounds perfect.

Thanks for posting!
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

courtney1978

Unread post by courtney1978 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:20 pm

I agree with everything you said. My three year old just loves having his own thing. I read him the books over and over. He is very good at occupying himself so the surprise time stuff has just become what we call "preschool time toys", so when I do school with the big kids he can choose those (or other things we have set aside). He turned three in December and we started in January. He is quickly wanting "more" in terms of letters and "learning to read". So I've also introduced some letter of the week freebies that I have found. So I get everything together for a unit, skip around, do some activities, enjoy the games and sheets and books and everybody is happy!! What I also love is that my 8 year old can also help with Animal Train. She loves that!!

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:33 am

For those of you have used all aboard would you say it is appropriate for a 2 year old or is it better to hold off for a 3 year old. My toddler just turned 2. She'll be 2 1/2 at the start of next school year. Not sure if we should do it next fall or wait a year. I do feel like she'd enjoy having setting to do for school as she enjoys sitting in with us and scribbling or playing with toys at the table when we do school. I have older kids; they'll be in 1st / 4th next fall and then I have twin newborns. They'll be about 6 months old next school year.

Sitting in on homeschool and just bring around she surprises us. She learned to count and tries to sing her ABC's. No I didn't teach her this. I'm not even sure how she learned....

MFW-Lisa

Unread post by MFW-Lisa » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:13 am

I was very fortunate to be able to assist Marie in parts of the development of All Aboard the Animal Train because of my experience in Early Childhood Education. It is a very gentle hands on curriculum. Your day is divided up into four 15 minute activities. They can be done all in a row or spread out to fit into your schedule. There are 12 units that last three weeks each. These too can be done as written or spread out longer than three weeks if necessary. Everything is very flexible to fit the needs of your child and your family. I agree that she would certainly love to have something on her level that she could call School. Please do not hesitate to contact the MFW office with any questions you may have.
Lisa
MFW Preschool Consultant
Mom of 4, Grandmom of 5 (soon to be 7)