Educational Toy Packages - Do these make good gifts?

Using MFW Preschool & Pre-K Packages, as well as occupying babies and toddlers while teaching
Julie in MN

Educational Toy Packages - Do these make good gifts?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:41 am

Preschool Toy Package
Teresa in TX wrote:My youngest will be 3 in February. I am seriously considering giving him the preschool Toy package for Christmas. I'm trying to decide if that would be too selfish on my part. lol I have a couple of reasons for wanting to do it 1.) I'm so very much NOT into all the ToysRUs toys that wind up getting stuck in a corner and never used (come look in the corner of his room and you'll see.) 2.) It looks like they would be fun toys for him. 3.) It would be educational.

I just want to know from those of you who do have this package if it is something that feels more schoolish or do your youngers really enjoy the toys? If anyone has any other good ideas for his age, things that WOULD get played with, are not to commercially, are not just electronic gadgets, etc., I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Teresa,
I bought it for my grandson. My only dilemma is that I want to keep it here. He loves Lauri toys so much, and I want to play with them with him! At least you don't have that dilemma :o)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:44 am

I bought it for my son's birthday. He looked through the catalog and asked for it LOL!
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

my3boys

Unread post by my3boys » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:56 am

We used it as Christmas presents one year too. We wrapped everything individually. That was 2 years ago and my younger two still use everything. They couldn't do the puzzle with the people for quite a while - it's harder than it looks!
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:14 am

I bought it for my niece one year. Worked for them!!

hmm..... maybe since that niece now has a 2 year old brother, we need another one for Grandma's house. She keeps a great closet of educational and developmental and fun toys for all ages.

-crystal

niki

Unread post by niki » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:45 am

What a great idea, I wish I would have thought of that!
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:09 pm

Well, I hope it's not too selfish or else a lot of us are in trouble! ;o)

I had bought several of the toys for my preschooler a few years ago, and she loved them. *I* loved them! My advice now, though, is to go ahead and get the whole kit, which I didn't do. I had bought just a few of the items from the kit, but if you buy the whole thing, it comes with an idea book which I wish I'd had. The idea book will tell you what to *do* with the toys, and which toys help develop what skills.

Way better than Toys R Us!
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:33 am

Excellent idea.

Our kids often receive school-y sorts of things for Christmas. This year, I hope Santa comes through with Rosetta Stone (finally!).

The preschool package is a ton of fun; what little kiddo wouldn't love it as a gift?
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Alison

Unread post by Alison » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:14 pm

YES! We bought it for our son when he was 3. Now he's 4 and our daughter is 2. They love playing with the items together, especially the number peg set. I also watched two children this summer ages 7 & 3. Both of them loved the "toys" too.

I was surprised at how thorough the booklet [now Activity Cards] that MFW gives with it is. I would have never thought of some of those things. It also helps with keeping the toys interesting.

My son is very busy, so he really likes to jump on the alphabet letters and say the sounds. He doesn't even realize he's learning.

HSmommi2mine

My sil will get her box today!!

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:27 pm

My in-laws went in with me and dh on an early birthday gift for my little nephew C. He will be 2 yo in October and he just got a baby sister so we sent the MFW 2 yo Toy package to keep him busy. I am so excited! I hope my sil loves it. She plans to homeschool and I plan to get her hooked on MFW if at all possible!

When I ordered I asked that someone write "Happy Birthday" on the receipt so that my sil knows why this box showed up. Knowing MFW, I'm sure they did it for me. UPS shows it as delivered now and I just know the little guy will love his surprise new toys. :-) (we need a happy dance smilie here people) There's nothing like getting people hooked on MFW to brighten your day. lol
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

4Truth

Re: My sil will get her box today!!

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:21 pm

Oh, do share after you hear from her!

I often buy MFW goodies as gifts. This is the best gift shop on the internet, IMO! :-)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

HSmommi2mine

Re: My sil will get her box today!!

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:27 pm

She got it, he loves it and it is keeping him busy while Mama takes care of the new baby. :-)
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids