Combining - Pre-K-ers & Preschoolers learn along with us!

Using MFW Preschool & Pre-K Packages, as well as occupying babies and toddlers while teaching
tkbbrl6

Combining - Pre-K-ers & Preschoolers learn along with us!

Unread post by tkbbrl6 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:08 pm

Think you need to school your pre-schooler or toddler? You may be without doing a thing!

We are doing ECC and to go with it we use the Geography Songs bec my kids really learn with music. Anyway my 3 yo was singing in the bathtub last night - what song? - Central America! He can name all the countries on the song - even rolls his "r's" - and yes - if he's looking at maps - points to South America. He tells us it's his "favwit". My dh came and got me last night from the other room and said, "listen to this - what is he singing? Did he just say Nicaragua (sp?) and Costa Rica?" I laughed and told him yes, they are countries in SA. He looked at me - said he knew what they were but how did little guy. I said, "oh, while we aren't doing school he's learning plenty!" He can also tell you all about the Rain Forest and is now learning Europe!

But - when I did try to do something with him today - he's stuck on the Bible story of the Tower of Babel - and he wanted to build a tower. I got out blocks "NO!" so I nicely cut "bricks" out of construction paper and thought we'd glue "bricks" to build. "NO!" He began crying - "I build a tower" over and over - I couldn't figure out what the problem was. He kept telling me I was doing it wrong - finally got it out of him. He wanted me to get him real bricks - the kind we used in our house and he'd build one outside! Gotta love 3 yo!
Wife to dh for 13 years
Mom to ds (19) Sophmore at USC; dd(11) Level 7 USAG gymnast; ds(9) Green belt in Karate; ds (4)Still waiting for a pet buffalo or lion
Using RTR

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:53 pm

Thanks for sharing that. My ds will be three in a few weeks and it is so awesome to watch them learn! They really do learn right along with the older ones.
Tina, homeschooling mother of Laura (1996), Jacob (1998) and Tucker (2003) In MO
"One of the greatest blessings of heaven is the appreciation of heaven on earth. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."--JIM ELLIOT

Heidi

Unread post by Heidi » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:25 am

3 year olds are wonderful!

Mine learns through song and dance too! It is his passion. He sings, "The Continent Song" - "North America, South America, Europe, Asia, Africa, Kangaroos hop in Australia and penguins waddle in Antarctica"! Also, the "Hello" song - Hello, Bonjour, Beunos Dias..."

I set our Tivo to record all musicals so that I could screen them all and I found this gem, "Carnival in Costa Rico" - if you can find it - it is clean, has beautiful costumes, dances and tells a wonderful and funny story all while showcasing Costa Rican culture. He has watched it several times a week now for over 4 weeks.

Tivo also just found "1776" - a musical story of the signing of the Declaration of Independence - and it is wonderful! It is long - but, the details are wonderful!
Heidi
FL Mommy of 3 "sensational" kids
Homeschooling since Fall 2004
Child 1: Blue LLATL/MFW 1, Adventures, ECC
Chld 2: MFW-K, MFW-1+ joined Adv, ECC
Child 3: MFW-PK, MFW-K + joined ECC

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:08 am

Yes, I think that's a fun part of homeschooling with little ones afoot. They pick up all sorts of weird facts. Not enough to make a complete picture of the subject, but little bits and pieces. I believe that these little pieces will make it easier when they cover the subjects later.

My five year old, Stephanie, was in the doctor for a check-up (right after we started RTR in August). The doctor asked where she went to school. Stephanie, said, "at home." The doctor asked, "what are you learning?" Stephanie replies, "about cells."
She continued to say, "they are in your body and have endoplasmic reticulum." Okay, she couldn't remember nucleus, or membrane, but she loved the sound of endoplasmic reticulum so she liked to say it. The doctor was blown away. Good ol' homeschooling.

This same girl said to me just a day ago, "if God had made us with just one eye, we'd all be Cyclopses." I guess so!

Enjoy the journey!
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

3lambsshepherdessinNY

Little ones learning alongside...

Unread post by 3lambsshepherdessinNY » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:18 pm

My soon-to-be-3yo always wants the Alphabet Song and Shot Vowel Song "one more time" each time we do them. :-)
Holly

mom to
Stefania (2/20/01)
Connor (12/17/03)
Sierra Praise (8/9/06)

nehschooler2three

Unread post by nehschooler2three » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:19 pm

Gotta love home schooling! My almost 3 year old (on dec 29th) starting belting out "God Bless America" in the middle of the church sermon! (we're doing adventures). Trouble was, my husband and i were laughing too hard to stop him! We did finally get him to quiet after 3 or 4 lines. thank goodness we go to a fairly large church with LOTS of little ones! our congregation is very understanding of little kid noise. He actually got comments on his acurracy after the service, lol!

Jill

Mom1669

It works!

Unread post by Mom1669 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:30 am

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:02 am
In reading the board it seems many people have a question about their younger ones "missing out" by joining in mid-cycle. I just thought I'd share a story that happened this weekend to illustrate that it works.

My youngest son is 6 and in K, but has been somewhat sitting in on EX1850 for history and science. Most of the time he listens from the kitchen floor or the living room. The second half of the year we did Botany for our science lessons, and then the last 3 weeks we have been doing nature journaling. So it's been nearly a month since we picked up the botany book.

We were visiting my parents this weekend when my 6yo walked up to me out of the blue and handed me a fiddle head from a fern and asked, "Isn't dis what we learned about?" After I recovered from my shock, I told him it was and asked if he remembered what kind of plant it was going to become. He just looked at me, said, "Yes Mom," in that exasperated tone of voice and walked off. He came back a minute or so later with a fern leaf and said "Dese!"

Moral of the story: even you don't think the littler ones are paying attention they will be learning something and really won't be missing out by joining the family in a later year. So it's OK to relax.

mrs_mike98

Why it's important to include the "littles"

Unread post by mrs_mike98 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:44 am

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:37 pm
I had a neat moment today. We are doing K, and are on Lesson 7. Last week was T-t-Turtle, and the words to remember are "I don't quit, I persevere!" My 2 yr old is in the middle of everything with us, he even has his own K "notebook". I don't direct anything toward him, just let him feel like he's included. Today while my older DC were playing tennis, I was sitting with my 2 yr old who was having trouble velcro-ing his sandle. He tried a few times and then said "I can do it, I can do it!" and was able to do it. He smiled really big and said "I persevered!" :-D

So THAT'S why it's important to include them... they might be little, but they have big ears and growing hearts!

courthart246

Out of the Mouths of Babes

Unread post by courthart246 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:46 am

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:28 pm
I just had to share this wonderful blessing that happened to me a week ago in hopes that it might encourage another mom out there. So often in the course of a school day we wonder, "Are they really getting it?" I especially wonder this in the area of character training, as that is so important to me. Sometimes the Lord sends a little encouragement our way to remind us that each little heart we teach for His glory is precious to Him.

Last Monday I was having a TERRIBLE day. I won't go into details, but I was just really stressed and crying a lot. I had gone into my room to "hide" and my 22 month old dd toddled in. She climbed up into my lap and said,"Whatsa matta?" I said, "Mommy is sad." She said, "What happened?" I proceeded to say something simple to her. She said, "I pray." And that little darling closed her eyes and babbled a prayer to God, Who understood what she was saying, even though I didn't. Then she looked up at me, pointed at me and said, "Pray." In our family, and even in the middle of a school day, we will stop and pray when something is troubling us. This little one picked up on that and the Lord used her to remind me at that moment that I needed to seek Him. It was a beautiful thing.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this story in the hopes that some of you who might be struggling wondering if what you're doing each day is really making a difference will see that eternal blessings are happening. You never know when your children will "get it". God knows, and He will bless your faithfulness.

hollybygolly

Re: Out of the Mouths of Babes

Unread post by hollybygolly » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:47 am

Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:43 pm
Some mornings all I get is glassy eyes and yawns.

Yet, at the oddest moments they'll remind me of some lesson I taught them from the Bible and it's very encouraging! I'm glad the Lord used your daughter to reassure you and I hope your week got better.