Ideas: Teaching Left from Right

Using MFW Preschool & Pre-K Packages, as well as occupying babies and toddlers while teaching
LoveBaby

Ideas: Teaching Left from Right

Unread post by LoveBaby » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:38 pm

One trick i teach my kids is if you hold your left hand up your forefinger and thumb make a capital L. L for left! is what we say.

when my daughter did a toddler dance class the teacher had a tape that had a left/right song on it. "Tap your left foot, left foot, left foot. wave your left hand, left hand, left hand," and so on. she's much better at remembering than her brothers are. mmm...i wonder if i could get a copy of the song and find out the title.
Jesse, homeschoolin' helpmeet just trying to do the Lords will! Starting MFW 1st and CtG 9/12!

JenniferF

Re: Teaching Left from Right

Unread post by JenniferF » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:12 pm

The problem with the "L is for Left" is if they also cannot remember which way an L goes!!!
Jennifer

Michelle in WA

Unread post by Michelle in WA » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:36 pm

I tell them every time I help put on shoes or clothes. I always (or try) start with the left. "let's put your left arm in your sleeve. Now your right arm. Where's your left foot let's put it in your shoe."

You might also write with a marker L and R on the respective hands. Or put a bandaid on one.

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:02 pm

For us, we just drill, drill, drill. We talk "left right" all the time. ("Okay, church is on the left" or "I need to turn right" or "Oooh, you skinned your left knee.") It eventually sinks in.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Mom2MnS

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:11 pm

Hi there! I agree with those who suggest drilli, drill, drill :) We work on this riding down the road in the car. Who is sitting on the right? If you are sitting on the right, which is your right hand, right foot, right ear? What do you see out of the left windows? etc... It's just one of our car games, and we always have fun playing.
Also, anytime we are dressing - esp putting on socks and shoes.
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16

CharleneHoell

Unread post by CharleneHoell » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:43 pm

Just a thought...another things you might try is playing Simon Says using left and right, i.e. "Simon says raise your left foot..." and playing the "Hokie Pokie". Both os these helped my ds when he was in preschool.

lyntley

Unread post by lyntley » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:42 pm

I always just remembered which hand I write with (my left hand)...

GoodCat

Unread post by GoodCat » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:29 pm

I've taught all my children left from right with a little song.

It goes something like...

This is my left hand, I'll raise it up high.
This is my right hand, I'll touch the sky.
Left hand, Right hand, roll them around.
Right hand, Left hand, pound, pound, pound.

We did gestures with it and did it almost every day.

Cathy
Wife to Sean, a wonderful man for 13 yrs., mother to 6 beautiful children- 12dd, 11ds, 9ds, 7dd, 5dd, 2dd.
Used Abeka for 5 years.
Used ECC and MFW1 (and loved it)
Used CtG (and loved it : )
Using RtR (and loving it!!)

momof6

Unread post by momof6 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:10 pm

When our kids are toddlers we try to constantly be saying left or right, in the bathtub, "give me your left foot"; in the highchair, let's wash your right hand, & etc.

There is a game our family enjoys called "Left Turn, Right Turn" everyone follows a sequence of lefts & rights and whoever finishes correctly first wins that card & the person with the most cards wins. It's a fun little game & really helped my children (and me), although one child found it really frustrating until he finally started getting his left, & right straightened out. We don't allow daddy to play anymore because he's to fast for the rest of us! :) You can find it in the Rainbow catalog for $6.75
Diane
wife to my wonderful hubby for 12yrs.
Mom to:
ds 12 -
dd11
ds 10
ds 8
dd 5
ds 2.5

Lorelei

Left Hand / Right Hand Confusion

Unread post by Lorelei » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:17 pm

The thing that has worked for all of my RIGHT-handed children is that they WRITE with their RIGHT. I hope this will be helpful for anyone else with the same dilema.
Lorelei in Los Angeles
Homeschooling mother for 19 years to ds(25), dd(18), dd(10) and ds(8)