1-year-olds and ideas that are working!

Using MFW Preschool & Pre-K Packages, as well as occupying babies and toddlers while teaching
Mom2MnS

Unread post by Mom2MnS »

1-year-olds alongside 1st grade

Hi :) I wanted to share what we are doing this year - combining a first grade with a pre-preschool for my one and a half yr old.

We are having wonderful success with this so far...

We do Bible from MFW1 at the table after breakfast together, then we do calendar time and weather time together. After that ds has "room time" where he plays in his room by himself for 30 mins or so while dd and I do reading/writing and math. After that, I bring him into the room with us and, while dd does art or science or maipulatives, etc, he works with his "days of the week" boxes. He does the explorations and anything else with us.

Notes: a key to "room time" referenced above is that this is his very first playtime of the day! I also add a toy to his room from the school closet that he doesn't usually have in there to play with. He is usually very content for 30-40 mins, and sometimes plays longer if I let him!

The "days of the week" boxes are boxes I put together for him with different learning toys, books, and creative play pockets in them. He only sees each particular box one day a week - and he really loves them!
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16
mom2boys

Unread post by mom2boys »

Can you tell me a little more about your days of the week boxes? I have been experimenting with something similar for my 22 mo toddler. He loves the Tall Stacker pegs and Color & Shape sorter from the MFW toddler package. The Toddler Tote seems to be a little too advanced for him at this point so I put that up to pull out later. I like the idea of a different box for each day of the week so things stay "fresh & exciting". Most of the suggestions I see for "activity bags" and such are more for older preschoolers and not toddlers. All this rambling to say can you give more details on exactly what you put in your boxes!?

Blessings,
~Charlotte
Mom to 3 active boys
11 ds & 8 ds doing CtG
22mo ds toddling along
Jenn in NC

Unread post by Jenn in NC »

Also -- and if you can answer this question I will be forever indebted to you :) -- how do you prevent your ds from destroying the room in the process? So far in our house "Room Time" translates in my child's mind to "Pull Out ALL My Toys & Make a HUGE Mess Time."
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850
Mom2MnS

Unread post by Mom2MnS »

Hi Charlotte & Jenn :) I'll be glad to share!

About days of the week boxes: I have a few board books, some Nat Geo Little Kids mags, some figures sets (sesame street and blues clues), some picture cards (thomas the tank engine and dora), the tall peg stacker from MFW, the shape sorter from MFW, a small bead & wire thing, a VT veggie scribbler (like magna doodle, I think), a FP shape sorter, some wooden puzzles (Melissa & Doug), a build a bear puzzle (Melissa & Doug), a set of animal magnets...

These are the things in the boxes. I mixed them up so that each box has a varied set of activities in it. A few of them are brand new, but most of it I weeded out of his toys (and dd's) over the last two months. He didn't notice they were missing, and dd was delighted to help gather some of her things for her brother's school boxes :)

I will rotate things in and out through the year that I find along the way. As I discover other things that work, I'll share them - I hope that you will, too!

About room time - I'm not sure this is the million dollar answer - haha! But I will be glad to share how I have his room set up. He makes a pretty good mess in there, but we include that as a part of the day. Just before rest time, we all go in and help him straighten it up - he has to help! I am noticing a little difference each day in what has been brought out :)

One day, I added his big box of wooden blocks to the room for room time. We heard him joyfully playing with them, dumping them ALL out. Well, when I went to get him - NOT ONE SINGLE BLOCK WAS OUT :) He had put them all back in the box after he finished playing with them.

On to his room... I don't have tons of toys out in the room. He has three main boxes under his bed (the open top cloth ones from B-R-Us). One has balls and blocks in it, one has things that go, and one has sets (like a dr kit, etc). He has some FP toys, like a car garage and a little people house in there too. Big messy things like his Thomas trains and other things with lots of pieces are stored in boxes that he can't open.

During room time, I usu pull out one of the open top boxes and add the extra toy. He also has his book shelf. It gets messy, but not horribly so.

Posted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:27 pm

About what I used this year for my son... I rotated things in and out through the year that I found along the way.
WLiC, Quinne

MFW since 2006
ECC (8th, 4th & 2nd) 2015-16
Kim Schroter

Unread post by Kim Schroter »

At the start of this year, I was quite concerned about the success of teaching my 1st and 3rd graders along with the training of my 1 year old!

After much prayer and planning, here is what I've found to be working...

After breakfast, I allow my 1 year old (she's 20 months and her name is Ruthie) to watch a baby einstein or Praise baby DVD, while I begin teaching with my older ones.

Ruthie usually finishes the 30 minute DVD and then comes into the schoolroom where we have been given that half an hour to get on a good roll of school. I have my 3rd grader engaged in some independent work and I'm working solo with the 1st grader at this point.

Little Ruthie is very aware of "school" and definitely wants to have a part in it. We have 2 tall bookshelves with our school books on them, but I reserved the bottom shelves for Ruthie. She has 4 baskets. 3 of the baskets have toys in that I rotate. Right now there is legos in one, potato head stuff in another and scarfs and bracelets in the 3rd. The 4th basket is her very own "book basket". She hears me telling the older ones it's book basket time, so she loves to get out her own book basket that is filled with board books.

She's occupied anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and then we break for a snack.

We continue school with her playing in her bedroom or on the floor of the school room on her "content" days. On her "not content" days, we will go for a walk or do other things until her nap time and at that point, we reengage with school work. Her nap is also the time we do projects and crafts.

So anyway, I hope this can help someone. I sure would love to hear other ideas for the one year old homeschoolers!

Kim
Married to John 12 years
Mother to Hannah 9 , Summer 7, Ruth 3 and Charlie 4 months
Laura M

Unread post by Laura M »

I always appreciate ideas from other moms!

Right now I am having my oldest play with the baby while I do 1st grade...then do Adventures with my oldest while the baby naps. I think this is what I will have to do...this year anyway.
~Laura

Married in 1998 to Nathan, the love of my life, and blessed with 4 great kids: Jonathan('99), Josiah ('00), Avalon ('02), and Elijah ('05).
Currently doing Exp - 1850
wisdomschool

Homeschooling with a one year old

Unread post by wisdomschool »

I am new and I really enjoy reading all the posts--very encouraging--thank you all!

We are finishing up the MFW K before we begin 1st grade, and right about the time we begin the 1st grade curriculum with Kanen, we will start over in K with Abia.

We "do school" all together while Tobias takes a morning nap. (All of my children have taken a morning and afternoon nap until 20mo., and then gone to just the afternoon nap--I am very grateful for this!) Tobias is all boy!!!!! He is just wild, and busy, and wants all of mommy's attention these days!

Thanks again!
Blessings,
Debbie
StarrMama

Unread post by StarrMama »

Great ideas! When my little one gets older I want to have a book basket for him.

Like someone else shared here, for this year, we do school when my baby is napping (after lunch).

Hi Debbie! Glad you are enjoying MFW...we just love it too!
~Rose
Wife to Desi. Mama to Hope 8 (ECC), Owen 6(K), Emmaline 4 and Levi 2. Happily serving God in the inner-city of Denver,CO.
www.6starrs.blogspot.com
courthart246

Unread post by courthart246 »

I really appreciated your ideas too! I too have a 20 month old daughter. I was a little worried at the beginning of the school year because she loves to be with me all of the time and engaged in whatever I am doing.

Our transition into school went much easier than I anticipated, but I love your ideas, especially about the book basket for her. My dd loves books, especially little books, like New Testaments. I will have to give her her own basket.

I also do Baby Einstein videos, and she spends some time playing with her preschool brother.

Something else I do is sit her up at the table with us with some pattern blocks or a puzzle. She just loves to be where we are.

Another thing she loves is to sit on a blanket on the floor. Just the small change will keep her engaged in an activity beside us for awhile.

Best wishes as you continue educating your little ones.
Courtney
Married 20 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 16 (World History and Literature)
ds - 13 (Exploration to 1850)
dd - 10 (Exploration to 1850)
Jenn in NC

Unread post by Jenn in NC »

Thank you so much for all the details! It didn't even occur to me to put different types of things in each box. I have all the dolls in one, all the duplo's in another, etc etc... DUH. No wonder they get bored! And what a good way to put all those little board books to good use. Right now mine are all in a big basket and they aren't getting used. Thanks very much!!
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850
joy2BAMom

Things I have tried

Unread post by joy2BAMom »

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:54 pm
My little one will be 2 in November. These are the things I have tried:

- some high chair time right next to us with an activity (like coloring, playing w/ play dough, etc.)
- Some special activities I only get out at school time like a big tub of noodles to scoop and play with or sorting and stacking cups.
- Honestly, I spend alot of school time with her in my arms or in my lap. I was hoping that by now she would be more independent and would play by herself a little better. She isn't, though. I just keep telling myself "This too shall pass" and enjoy my baby while she is still a baby. It won't be long and she will be a school age!
- I also try to have my other kids help with her like you already mentioned.

Good luck as you start your new school year with a little one!
Tracey in ME

Re: Things I have tried

Unread post by Tracey in ME »

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:27 pm
Here is a website with loads of great ideas for tots!
Here's the link! http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/prescho ... vities.htm
GoodCat

Re: Things I have tried

Unread post by GoodCat »

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:26 am
We just finished up a year with a little one. She turned 2 in April.

- One of the things that really helps us is having a snack time. I try to schedule it when I'm getting ready to do our reading for history or our read a loud time. I'll make popcorn (my kids love popcorn especially the baby) and we'll all sit in the living room and I'll read and they eat. Its like a movie :) I realize not all little ones can eat popcorn. When she was younger (say 18m.), I would buy this cereal that was just puffed corn. It had no sugar, and anything bad. It was just puffed corn. It didn't have any hard pieces like popcorn can have. So I would give her a little cup of it and she loved it. You could use any snack that you know they love and keep it for reading time :)

- She also has a lot of books in her "book basket" (which is all her little board books), and she'll look at them while we're reading. Usually she'll be next to me but as long as she some what quiet its okay.

- When we do art or listen to music, she loves being with us doing her own art or dancing to the music with everyone else.

- I really just let her be with us what ever we're doing and if she gets bored, she'll usually find a toy or something to play with.

- When she gets really fussy and I need to get something done, I usually grab one of the older or not so older kiddos to play with her.

- Oh yeh, she really likes play dough, so that is one I use once in a while (when I don't mind cleaning up play dough).

- I've had a few little ones during school years and yes there are times they just want to sit on your lap or nurse or be held or won't be comforted. So like you said....this to shall pass :)

Thats a few things we do....
Cathy
cbollin

I need some ideas please!!! and thanks!!

Unread post by cbollin »

striving2Bprov31 wrote:We have a great daily schedule going that is working well. I am getting ready to start MFW K with my third child.

We also have a 22 month old. The littlest one is busy busy and busy. He is a chatterbox, too!!! I've read of some ideas to occupy him so that I can work with the 5yo. but I need more ideas!!!! My 11dd already babysits the 22m. old once a day so I feel like I can't ask that of her again. I also have school work to do with the olders during the littlest's naptime. I am trying to figure out how to fit MFW K in during the day AND manage the littlest one so that my work with 5ds is productive!!!!

Help!!!!! I feel like there are only so many hours in the day!!

Can I break up the K program in bits and pieces throughout the day or would it lose something???

hope this makes sense!! Thanks
Liz
quick answer:
I broke up MFW K in small bites throughout the day to teach my autistic kid. 5-10 minutes for math as part of her wake up routine believe it or not. (calendar work, yesterday today tomorrow, counting, then on to breakfast.) 10-15 minutes for language arts and seat work about mid morning. Then afternoon or post supper for the fun stuff from science. Sometimes, my trick to my day? I let the oldest kid and middle child do the activities from K with youngest while I drank tea or water.

-crystal
gratitude

Re: I need some ideas please!!! and thanks!!

Unread post by gratitude »

If I am understanding correctly you are only needing ideas for the 22 month old since the older kids are self occupied during MFW K time. This narrows it down for me, since I am actually occupying a 7, 3, & 1 during MFW K time.

O.K. Let us focus on the 22 month old. My youngest is 21 months old, but a dd instead of a ds. So it is different. I remember my ds at 21 months!

Here are the things she does during school time:
1. Mid-morning feeding in the high chair. I teach at the table while she eats. I stretch this out as long as possible.
2. Sitting on my lap while I read to my K, or other kids.
3. Playing with toys near the table. I have 4 baskets close to the teaching area that I take turns pouring out on the floor. Each one has 4 - 5 small toys in it. (see she still plays with toys at 21 months, my ds would not have; I hope your ds does)
4. Sitting on my lap while I teach. I will admit this is hard for me, as I like to focus, but it is also nice to have the cuddle time with her.
5. My home is set up that if she is moving all over our lower floor she can not hurt herself. She likes to do this some during school time. We do have to close the bathroom door and have the stair gate up.
6. The best one is if one of the other siblings chooses to play with her on their own while I am teaching.
7. She is also an introvert so sometimes she begs, by screaming, for down time in her room. She is very happy in there playing and usually one of the kids joins her. I know sometimes moms put a gate across the door; but I put mine next to the stairs and it leaves her 1/4 of the house. She needs breaks from our family of 6! This would never have worked though with my oldest ds.
8. O.K. Now I will imagine that he is like my oldest extrovert, never stops moving, ds. In that situation I would have to use an educational video for 15 minute at a time 3 times a day. I don't like to admit it, but it was the only way my 2nd child was fed when my oldest was 21 months old. It was the only way I could keep him moderately still long enough for me to be able to sit down for a 15 - 20 minute feeding. He loved book time with me, but not when his brother was eating; he would have nothing to do with me reading to him when I was already occupied feeding second ds. I think this idea of a DVD could apply to teaching K too. He was so busy, always moving, always into everything and I really did need to feed my baby, and nothing else would make sure he was safe and we were in the same room. If you are trying to teach with a very busy 21 month old boy, an educational video may be the best option. We don't even have a TV, so I don't like to suggest DVD solutions; but I know it was the only thing that worked for me during that time period.
Missy OH

1 year old ideas

Unread post by Missy OH »

manyblessings wrote:It's funny, I have older kids but they are so much older I feel like I don't remember what to do with a 1 year old, lol.

I have looked at the archives, but most of the ideas I saw were for babies who were nearly 2, so that many were not appropriate for my little one. My baby just turned 13 months and was 8 weeks premature, so in some ways she is a little behind developmentally. She is not walking yet, but she crawls and just started to pull herself to standing/cruising. She still puts everything in her mouth including paper, so she is not ready for coloring yet. She is not interested in the television/baby DVDs. I guess I am looking for safe ways to train her to keep occupied for a few minutes besides someone holding her-she's getting heavy :-) She detests the playpen :~ I would love to get a "little playzone" which provides a larger safe area for play (13 square feet or more) but it's not in the budget right now.

Any ideas would be appreciated-it would make the day smoother for my high schoolers and me.
Boxes to crawl through
stacking/nesting cups
add a large spoon to stir
small/non-choking items to dump in a coffee can and dump out
snacks in a highchair
lots of board books and a box/container to put them in and out of

It's a hard age but in a few months she will take an interest in so much more. It's kind of a grin and bear it age. :) My little one is 22 months and my next youngest child was 6 1/2 when she was born so I was at a loss on what to do with her at that age, too.

If an older one is watching her:
magazines/catalogs to rip up (just catch it before it goes in her mouth)
tent over a table to play under
a walk around the back yard in the stroller
Last edited by Missy OH on Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Julie in MN

Re: 1 year old ideas

Unread post by Julie in MN »

Missy OH wrote:snacks in a highchair
I was going to ask if she'd sit in a high chair. Seems like you have quite a few "painting with soft edibles" type of options if she will (water, pudding, jello, marshmallows).
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
manyblessings

Unread post by manyblessings »

Thanks for the ideas. Just wanted to update that baby has begun to tolerate her playpen for a few minutes, does like snacks in a high chair, has discovered the joys of putting things in a container/dumping, and likes playing with a large spoon and bowls, each for a few minutes at a time :) I haven't tried the boxes yet, our living room is so small, but we'll see. I do give her old magazines to tear, but she gets very upset when I have to stop her from eating them! I guess I will have to pray for more energy :-)
Lourdes
4 adults, 1 in 2nd
3 in heaven
Married 6/20/09
2019-2020: ADV
Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat »

I had to smile when reading suggestions about boxes.

When my little girl was about that age, she LOVED LOVED LOVED a box big enough for her to sit in. She would just sit in it and play with toys... stacking cups and such were much more fun in the box or on the box. Balls were great because they couldn't "get away." She would never tolerate a playpen but somehow sitting in a box was fun! I would turn it on its side and she would go in and out or put toys in and out. Sometimes I'd flip it over so the solid part made a great little "tabletop" at her height, perfect for banging toys against. We have a small living room (about 11 x 15, that's not open floor space but total size) and it wasn't much of a problem just to have one or two boxes sitting around in it.

Come to think of it..... almost 7 years later and she still loves a box big enough to sit in! ;)
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!
manyblessings

Unread post by manyblessings »

Well the months just fly by :) My little one is already 19 months old and we are over the "hump", so to speak. She is walking, talking, using the potty, listening very well to instruction, and even helping mama with some chores (she is good at emptying the dryer, taking the flatware out of the dishwasher and picking up things that mama dropped on the floor).

She plays with a sand and water table in the backyard and loves to look at board books.

I bought her the Lauri Toddler Tote that used to be a part of the MFW toddler package, and she LOVES it.

She also loves to sit in a box, but only if someone pushes it around like a car while she says "vroom" :-)

For her second birthday I will definitely get her the MFW toddler package and enrichment items. Those few months ago were kind of tough, but what a joyous adventure :)
Lourdes
4 adults, 1 in 2nd
3 in heaven
Married 6/20/09
2019-2020: ADV
Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN »

What a fun follow-up! This will be encouraging to show lots of moms, I'm sure,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR »

Oh, you saying she loved being pushed around in a box reminded me... We got laundry baskets - my boys LOVED being pushed around in a laundry basket. And the last longer and usually go smoother over the carpet. Plus, they can use them for other things... Like storing stuffed animals and such when they get older...
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog
hsm

Unread post by hsm »

I just read through this post for the first time and I enjoyed it. It just made me smile. Enjoy your little one! :)
TriciaMR wrote:Oh, you saying she loved being pushed around in a box reminded me... We got laundry baskets - my boys LOVED being pushed around in a laundry basket. And the last longer and usually go smoother over the carpet. Plus, they can use them for other things... Like storing stuffed animals and such when they get older...
My kids too! And, they STILL do this! ;)
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6