Educational Toy Packages - Questions + Reviews

Using MFW Preschool & Pre-K Packages, as well as occupying babies and toddlers while teaching
Julie - Staff

Educational Toy Packages - Questions + Reviews

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:49 pm

(1) Prior to 2015, MFW had a "Toddler Package" and a "Preschool Package."
These packages were similar to current Educational Toy Packages for Preschool and Pre-K, consisting of a set of toys and activity cards (and before that, a booklet). To minimize confusion, we've changed "Preschool" to "Pre-K" in posts dated before 2015.

(2) In 2015, MFW introduced All Aboard the Animal Train for 2s and 3s, making all of these activities easy to implement! The Preschool Educational Toy Package is available separately or as part of the Deluxe Preschool Package.

MFW also provided a Pre-K package during 2015 which included:
  • Books to read aloud: As you read these specially-selected books to your child, you will be teaching Biblical values, the alphabet and pre-reading skills, character development, numbers, science (nature), community helpers, and more.
  • Pre-K Activity Cards to accompany six educational toys: These easy-to-use 4×6-inch cards, developed by My Father's World, include 72 activities to build readiness skills. The numerous activities suggested for each educational toy are designed to develop these skills: fine and gross motor, math and reading readiness, memory, patterns and categories, auditory and visual discrimination, and creative thinking.
  • Scripture set to music: This collection of 41 Bible verses set to music will help your whole family easily memorize Scripture. What could be sweeter than hearing your children sing Bible verses while going about their day?
  • Schedule Card: Post this simple card on your fridge to help establish a weekly routine to cover important Pre-K skills.
(3) In 2016, Voyage of Discovery for 4s was released, making the pre-K activities easy to implement!
Most of the toys remain the same (or are available as Enrichment items), but much more is now included!
- See more at: https://www.mfwbooks.com/products/28/Di ... rd-Grade-/

Homeschooling6

Pre-K Toy Package - Review

Unread post by Homeschooling6 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:10 pm

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:04 am
I bought the PreK Toy packages and only bring it out during school time. Even my older kids like playing with all the pegs ;)

Linda

cbollin

PreK Toy Package - What can I expect from this?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:56 am

Jenn in NC wrote:Up till now, all my preschoolers have been boys. Now I have a girl who is getting ready to turn 4 and is very different than my boys were. I need advice on how to proceed.

My dd can do things my boys could never do at this age. For example she can find the track she wants to listen to on the CD player in her room. She recognizes several numbers without ever having been taught, and understand them conceptually up to about 5 or 6. She is beginning to make those primitive, somewhat recognizable drawings -- wobbly circles with eyes and a nose, etc. Yesterday she asked me to help her make a "2" and then she made a pretty good copy. She loves school (which for her is a bin with crafty things in it). She seems to crave more structured learning.

I really had never planned to start K with her for another year but I am wondering if she will be bored with the preK program?
Jenn,

Reading through the description of your daughter reminds me of my preschool daughter. She knows which CD track has the song she wants and can ask for them in the van and run that CD player in her sister's room. She knows her letters and numbers. She’s counting in Russian???? (why????) and then made us all laugh the other day in Russian class when she was upside down on the floor reading a number. It was supposed to be 19 but she was upside down and said in English Sixty-One! The fun of a higher functioning autistic preschooler.

I think you should buy the other toys that you don't have and get the activity book and use preschool time with your preschooler.

What can you expect from the PreK Package in MFW?

*opportunities to do new and more things with emerging skills without an emphasis of product over process.
*ways to include your preschooler in a table activity while older children are doing something a bit more seat work
*ways to have some active time with the preschooler when the older kids are doing seat work.
*ways to bring all of the other developmental skills into focus even if/when knowledge based (cognitive) skills are there.

All of the ideas in the activity booklet [now activity cards] will help to engage your child in thinking skills that are age appropriate. They offer enough flexibility to easily adjust up or down for your child. I appreciate that the ideas will help your child learn to follow instructions that are given verbally.

Too often we rush a child to the next level of learning based only on what they know that have a right or wrong answer (letters, numbers, colors). In that process we have to remember that before the next level of learning is introduced we need to secure their learning based on what they can do, not just what they can say and know. As they get older, school lessons will depend on a lot of ability to process higher language and follow instructions. This is the time to teach it. At the same time, in the preschool years we have the time to allow for a more creative and discovery side (i.e. process over product) In the K program and older it starts to be a bit more about getting to the product. So, don’t waste that opportunity to have another year of focusing on the process when the product isn’t the issue. There is still plenty of time in K and older programs for the process as well. It’s doesn’t abruptly stop at K, is my point.

Many of the toys in the MFW package provide for ways to make crafts related to any story you might be reading to the other children or to your preschooler. For example, my youngest likes a little story called Goodnight Gorilla. So, I can take her little board book and some of the Lauri toys and have her match up colors along with the story. I’ll mix up a bunch of the colors and have her find the right color. (simple story, lots of skills) Or we read a story that involved snow. So, we took some of the circle shapes in the package and had our daughter trace the circles and cut them out, and make a snow man by gluing the shapes onto paper. No help from us. That involves a lot of skills for a 4 year old to do. Add in some dry beans here and there to glue on it. Preschoolers likes to be creative and enjoy that stuff. I have the mixed blessing of sending my daughter to 2 preschools (due to her special needs). And I watch what those "trained and experienced" preschool teachers do – and you know what? The MFW preK package allows me to carry over all of the good stuff into our day. Thank you Marie!!!!!

Start your preschoolers’ school day with a song or two. Get some rhythm toys or pots pans and a wooden spoon. Or if you’re brave, a play guitar. Let your child march around the room to their CD. This is a great preschool year to let them have a celebration of God’s word in song. Don’t be surprised if the older children suddenly decide that they need to be a teacher’s assistant during that time. and allow them to join in the fun of the preschoolers music time. That's not the time to send them to their rooms to do their math or independent work. Trust me on that experience???

What can you expect from MFW’s preK package? A lot of fun that will provide the structure and security that they need and to help work on many level of developmental skills.

If you have a 4 year old, use the preK package. Even if they know their letters and numbers and colors…. They’ll never be 4 years old again. It’s a fun year to not miss in their lives.

-crystal

Jenn in NC

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:38 am

cbollin wrote:A lot of fun that will provide the structure and security that they need and to help work on many level of developmental skills.
This is exactly what I am looking for... exactly what I think she needs. I loved what you said about them not ever being 4yo again. So true. I feel like I was needing reassurance that the preK program would be structured enough to satisfy her desire to learn, but fun enough to just let her be little and enjoy life... what you said makes so much sense to me. Thank you, as always.
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850

TriciaMR

Activity Ideas for Preschool (former Toddler Package)

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:53 am

mamanamadee wrote:Is there an activity sheet/booklet for the toddler toys? At conference, I asked for and received the booklet for the preschool toys, but then realized after I got home the activities are all for the 3-5 yo preschool package not the 2-3 yo toddler package.
We have two of the toddler toys - the one with the 5 different shapes in 5 colors that go on the posts, and then the toddler traveler tote one.

For the shapes/colors on the posts: we would match the color to the post, and then I would put a different shape on each post (making sure the shape color did NOT match the post) and have the boys match the shape. It was hard for them after matching color to match the shape the first few times.

We've also set up the shapes like dominoes on the floor, and then knocked the one end over (that always gets a big laugh from the boys).

For the other one, it has mostly been a "play" toy. But, I have had them count the posts, tell me the colors, name the shapes.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Learning ideas for preschool toys (former Toddler Package)

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:55 pm

Some Learning Ideas for 2-3 year old using the Preschool Toys from MFW.
Because children in this age can have a wide variety of language development and motor skills, adjust these ideas to fit them and slowly increase the difficulty level. Have some fun with your child. Just about any kind of regular game that you would play with a toddler, you can find a way to include one of the toys in that game.

Active Play (great for giving a toddler some undivided attention for a few minutes with parent or sibling)

Go on a Shape Hunt. Toy needed – shape and Color Sorter, or Toddler Tote
How to Play:
Parent or older sibling selects two items (such as the Cat and the Bear in Toddler Tote) and “hides them in plain view” or in “partial sight”.
Tell the toddler Find the Bear and Bring it to me.
Variations for older toddlers --- use 2 shapes in different colors, or 2 pieces the same color, but different shape. Remember to be happy with the toddler when they find it and bring it to you. (good for interactive play and following verbal instructions)

Variation for older sibling to play with toddler and teach them (while parent teaches another child)--- if you have the book Going on a Bear Hunt and your child already likes this book, perhaps you can chant along and sing "We're going on a Bear Hunt.... we're going catch a Blue one. What a Beautiful Day." You might have to help your toddler and get on the floor and pretend with them. But that's ok. Well, our bear was blue, use whatever the color is of the bear in your package.

Plop Plop in the Bucket – toy needed, Tall Stacker Pegs and Pegboard, and a wide container that is easy to empty such as mixing bowl, empty jar, or even an empty oatmeal box.
Scattered a pile of pegs on the floor but not too scattered.
Have child stand up and drop the pegs in the bucket.
Have child do this in some kind of order related to color. Put the Green Pegs in. Put the Yellow pegs in. variations --- use smaller containers, or have your child put in 2 pegs at a time

Put a toy on your Head --- toy needed – Bear from Toddler Tote. In a Sing Song voice, say “put your Bear on your Head on your Head. Put your Bear on your Head, on your head. Did you ever see a bear, hiding somewhere, Put your bear on your head on your head.”

Make up verses and change it the animal or use shapes from shape sorter.
Put your Cat on your head….. did you ever see a cat, hiding Just like THAT?
Put your Dog on your head….. did you ever see a dog, hiding near a log??

and of course.... put the bear on your arm, foot, leg. Model it for your child if needed. Some children at this age are still learning the names of parts of the body and coordinating their own little selves to find things. give lots of ((hugs)).

Sitting Together Play (a bit more quiet now.. shhh....)

Play All Aboard!!! -- toy needed Number Express.
Let your child build the train and encourage soft Chugga Chugga Chugga sounds. Maybe the Cat, dog or bear from toddler tote would like to ride on the train too.

Do you have the book Freight Train by Donald Crews?

Make a Shape/Color spinner --- toy needed Shape and color sorter, and a long shoe string or piece of yarn. Let child put the shapes from the Shape and Color sorter on the string, hold both end and spin them.

Older Sibling’s Turn -- Sometimes our older homeschooled children can come up with ideas to do that are fun for the toddler. Remember to encourage older kids to sit with their sibling and have fun.

More
Take an old coffee can. Decorate outside with construction paper. Make a large enough hole in the plastic lid of the can. Let toddler push the pegs through the hole, open the lid, dump the pegs back out, put lid back on and do it again and again like toddlers like to do.

Play Tote that Block! Use any kind of container (old purse, book bag, a basket, laundry basket) – encourage toddler to put the toys in the container and push or carry it around. Make it a game with older sibling --- good time to model language such as Please, Thank You as your toddler gives you something from the treasure box. Work together to put things away in their right place. For people who like to teach their children how and when to politely "interrupt", this game can be incorporated into that skill. (be patient while they learn....)

Give the toddler their own tactile box (a shoe box with rice, or other material) --- Get a space that will be easier to clean up, let the child put a few of the Toddler pack toys in the rice or cornmeal or whatever, and find their buried treasure.
If making too much mess in the house makes it harder for mom, here is an idea: Tell child that they get to play Buried Treasure for 15 minutes. Set a timer. At the end of buried treasure, clean it up until another time. Nice thing with Lauri toys -- they are washable with soap and water. Give toddler a cooking pan/pot with a little bit of soapy water and let him water and dry the toys (with supervision of course). Probably not a good idea to let them put the toys in a sink so they don't get lost in the drain ;)

Variation for toddler who has older sibling who is using Spelling Power
Try to schedule this tactile box activity when older siblings are working in Spelling Power. One of the things in Spelling Power is that you use multi sensory methods in the 10 step study time. One of those things is a tactile activity. When older siblings get to play in a box with something fun, this might be the time to do this activity with everyone. Toddler sees that everyone has to stop the activity together. Encourage them to trace the numbers from Number Express or shapes from the Sorter while older siblings are writing their spelling words in tactile box.

You might have to adjust skill level lower for the youngest just turning 2 year old. and after you've played with them with some games, just let them explore the toys on their own.

-crystal

rosecottage

Unread post by rosecottage » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:39 pm

All the book titles that follow offer ideas for babies on up, and since MFW just offers materials for children 2 & over, I thought it might be ok.

My husband's former kindergarten teacher, June Oberlander, has a book on the market called "Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready" with developmental activities to use with children from birth till age 5. The purpose is to help children develop more fully during those younger years than they might otherwise. Some of the activities might be helpful in occupying them. Just an idea for those with children too young for MFW's materials.

I find that my little ones are happiest when they are given the chance to "work on" (play, really) whatever they are learning developmentally, and get frustrated when prevented from doing whatever they are trying to learn at the time.

Oh, also, there is a terrific book called "Creative Family Times," which is full of ideas for structuring your baby/young child's day. I have used this one a lot with much success, for teaching "sit time" beginning at 18 months and "playpen time" starting with younger babies & continuing through toddler-hood (when the duration is gradually lengthened & turns in to "room time"). The "Managers of Their Homes" book by Teri Maxwell also has some good ideas in it.
-Leeny

Wife of one wonderful man, Mom of six blessings: DD 14, DD 12, DS 9, DD 7, DS 5, DS 3
Currently Using MFW Toddler/Preschool, MFW K, MFW 1st Grade & EXP1850
Completed ECC

hsmomof5

Unread post by hsmomof5 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:51 am

I can't think of the blog addy right now but there is a blog with info on toddler bags. Hit my siggy to my blog and look under Topics for "homeschooling with toddlers". HTH
~Kysha
ds 19 (college freshman), ds 12, ds 12, and ds 10 (ECC '08) (CTG '09), dd 3 (Preschool)

rosecottage

Unread post by rosecottage » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:57 pm

A friend at my church just arranged a "Preschool Activity Bag" swap. I made 10 each of 2 activity bags, and ten other ladies and I swapped bags. Each ended up with a complete set of 20 different preschool activities. My 3yo is enjoying them very much. Only problem is that he seems to have a varying, unpredictable attention span for each activity. I need to refine how I use these. He is very verbal, my most articulate three year old to date, but he has a hard time keeping quiet while using these. I probably need to dedicate a little time just for his preschool time early in the day, so he doesn't need to act up to get mommy's attention. Again, I am eager to hear the talk at the conference!

Also, Kathryn Stout of Design A Study has some good suggestions for preschool toys in articles she has put on her website. And then there is the "Preschoolers and Peace" website. Can you tell I have needed to research this subject???

David Hazell will be speaking about preschoolers here in AZ in two weeks. I hope to be able to attend his workshops and hear his ideas.
-Leeny

Wife of one wonderful man, Mom of six blessings: DD 14, DD 12, DS 9, DD 7, DS 5, DS 3
Currently Using MFW Toddler/Preschool, MFW K, MFW 1st Grade & EXP1850
Completed ECC

Alison

PreK stuff

Unread post by Alison » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:12 pm

HSmommi2mine wrote:How is is set up? I am looking at the preK package.
I bought the PreK Toy package & am so pleased with it. It's very laid back in that you can do whichever pieces you want to do whenever you want to do them. However, there are very specific activities that I would have NEVER thought of doing with my kids. It teaches skills like hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, language skills, gross motor skills, etc. I HIGHLY recommend it. I previously bought a very good preschool workbook package that I do now and then with my 4 year old just for fun. However, he gains more skills, confidence, and has much more fun with MFW. I tend to just read to my kids and play "school games."

Hope that helps.

Julie in MN

Preschool Toy Package

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun May 17, 2009 7:37 pm

doubleportion wrote:I bought the preschool Toy package yesterday at convention. I need advice on ways that any of you have used those toys for a HUGE variety of teaching (the more ideas the better). And I need simple specific uses if any of you can give them. In my sleep deprived stupor it is challenging to come up with ideas beyond the very obvious. I am really worn out by my very active ds and baby boy. So calling all experienced parents! Help!!

Edie
Hi Edie,
My grandson LOVES the pegboard, and there is a sheet of ideas packaged inside of that.

If you purchased the preschool set, you could call the office and ask if you could purchase the preK booklet [now Activity Cards]. Of course, the majority won't apply to the preschool set, but a few things will apply to the pegs and in general it may give you some ideas.

Another place to check is the Preschool archives:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=2

I'm sure more moms of littles will chime in, as well. I just thought I'd mention those couple of things.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

PreK Toy Package

Unread post by cbollin » Mon May 31, 2010 1:35 pm

vonfirmath wrote:So is the main use for younger children while homeschooling their older siblings?

I've got an only, for now.
I think it can be used for when oldest is in preschool years too. The oldest children need to have time and ways to develop fine motor, thinking skills, attention spans, etc.

from the point of view of a longer time homeschooling mom though.... I know when my oldest was preschool, I thought I had to teach her to read by age 4 for some reason. So these days, I can say "yeah, a preschooler who is oldest can still benefit greatly from what MFW does in preschool years". MFW has music, skill centers (as some brick and mortar preschools would call it). Add in some snuggle time with mom on the couch to read stories, and go outside and play. wash your hands before snack and after potty...

and that's preschool -- even the brick and mortar ones.

oh, I guess I should say that all 3 of my children attended group preschools for different reasons. But that was the standard preschool day:
free play
circle time with music
skill centers to work on language, writing, thinking skills, working for self motivation (basically everything that is in MFW)
story time
potty break
snack
play outside (or indoor gym in bad weather)
go home

All of my children learned to read before they were officially in Kindergarten even though I wasn't officially teaching them to read and the preschools they were attending weren't focused on reading (they did language, pre-reading, etc...)
-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: PreK Toy Package

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon May 31, 2010 10:35 pm

vonfirmath wrote:Right now, I'm just done convincing his FIL he does NOT need to learn to read at age 2 (his father was reading out of an encyclopedia at age 3, evidently. thus confusing a lot of people's "ought tos".
<hugs> for the pressure when you are raising your first child. After you've successfully parented a child or two through college, the grandparents will settle down and know you can do it 8[] Truly we are fortunate when the grandparents care so much, eh :~

I just want to pipe in about your oldest and reassure you that early focus on abstract symbols is not essential for putting a child ahead. My bias is that it probably hampers them by focusing on memorization without understanding, and by taking their learning time away from age-appropriate things. But I can't say that for sure.

I can only say my experience. My kids waited until close to or past age 6 for K. My oldest son is now a petroleum engineer and he had no formal academics before age 6, unless he picked them up on his own. Instead, he spent the first 6 years moving and wondering and trying and failing and asking and creating and fitting and puzzling and thinking and building and and and..... By the time he got to a K class, he was ready to sit down and learn how abstract symbols fit into it all. He learned to read within a few months and stayed ahead of the pack from then on.

My youngest son taught himself to read before K, and I really wish he wouldn't have. I think he learned bad habits including memorization. He wasn't as fascinated to sit down and learn new symbols in K. He had gaps because he went through some of the stages too quickly (forming letters, learning the alphabet). But regardless of my thoughts on that, I can say for sure that even if he was ready, he didn't need more formal academics from me. I spent all my time with him using materials like the MFW preK program includes, and I believe those kinds of things are what did him the most good.

So that's my story. I'm a die-hard better-late-than-early gal ;)
Julie

Mom2theteam

What would you purchase for ages 4, 6, & 8?

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:45 pm

Pam in PA wrote:I am planning on starting my (to be) 8 yo ds in ADV. I wondered about getting the PreK Package for the (soon to be) 4 yo ds and some of the Kind. package for the (soon to be) 6 yo ds who is not reading yet, but knows most of the alphabet sounds. It looks like the Kind. has such a lot of fun activities, but I don't know if it would be too many levels and subjects to do with 3 in three different levels.
What would you get?
Thanks,
Pam
My kids are 5 and 3 year old twins. (And 11 month old twins, but they don't join in yet. ;) ) I got the K and the pre-K set (and some of the toddler set too) in Nov. My oldest had just turned 5 and my youngers were not quite 3 yet.

They all LOVE the learning toys. In fact, I ended up putting away the K set for my older and we are waiting till this fall for it. But, my point is, they all love the "toys" and ask to do "school" all the time because they love them. Honestly, if you have the funds and the time to devote to it, I think your 4 year old would love the preK set. I also went to Patch Product's website and have ordered a few more Lauri toys than what MFW offers. They are outstanding learning toys and like I said, my kids adore them all. (I hope I can invest in even more since we have several more years of preschool and probably even more to come.) I can't really answer the question of combining because mine are younger than your oldest. I just wanted you to know that my kids love the pre-K "toys."

Oh and I've been using the activities cards too. Great suggestions. I bet all 3 of your kids would enjoy doing many of them. :-) Speaking of that, I have to go figure out what we are doing tomorrow. :~

Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:16 pm by Mom2theteam
The pre-K packages are great! We have almost everything in both Toy sets....I think we have everything actually...we even have the new Wegits. They are so fun!! Anyway, my children all enjoy them from time to time even my 7 year old. My 3 year old twins enjoy "playing" with the stuff. The key is to only bring it out during school time. Don't allow them to become "common" toys if you know what I mean.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

Mom2theteam

PreK Toy package

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:26 pm

tiffany wrote:I was wondering if any of you out there have used the preK package with your younger kids in a large family? I was actually thinking about buying it for my almost 4 (that makes me weep a little) year old. He is extremely active and will be even more independent next year. I'm just not sure he'll sit still for it. We'll be doing ECC next year, so I know I can include him in some of those activities. Of course, we have lots of "preschool" type activities at our house already. Just really want to enjoy my time with my little guy while he's still little. Any thoughts?
It's been a big hit at my house. All 3 of the kids love it. I also have 12 month old twins who will use them someday too. :-)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

TriciaMR

Re: PreK Toy package

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:16 pm

My dd, when she was 8/9 still LOVED playing with the preK toys and would pout if I wouldn't give her a chance to play with them :)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cherona

Finally ordering! Questions

Unread post by cherona » Sun May 27, 2012 10:58 pm

2girls2boysnme wrote:Should I order the preK program for my 3.5 year old...or just do fun stuff at home? Do kids really like lacing things non-stop? I'm not sure he would really want to do any of these things...
Just to throw out our experience in case it helps you decide...We ordered the MFW preK package for my 4 yr old (turned 4 in March) and have been using it almost daily for a few weeks now, and my dd LOVES it! It is much more than lacing.

The cards giving suggested activities for each set of "toys" have been wonderful! Giving us just enough direction to get her engaged. She has begged to do more everyday but I'm trying to limit it to just one or two cards each day. There are enough activities suggested to last a very long time without having to repeat the same one.

Hope that helps :)

Cheri
Wife to my hardworking husband, Seth, and Mom to...
Emma (12) CTG
Megan (10) CTG
Katie (8) CTG
Elsie (5) MFW K
Violet (2 1/2) MFW Toddler/Preschool

carlamom2ansnm

Questions on where to place 4yo

Unread post by carlamom2ansnm » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:11 am

allgirlsmommy wrote:Any ideas on keeping our 4 year old busy during school time? I know she would love to start K. Could her & her 7 yo sister do K together? Would our 7 yo get too behind if we did that & just started her in CTG with her older sister next year? Can you tell I'm getting stressed? :( We also have a sweet 10 month old baby. We are enjoying her so much. She will be mobile by the time we start school, so we will have to find ways to keep her occupied during school time, too.

Thanks so much for any help. :-)
Amy
I can't help with the placement, as I'm new to mfw this year, but I thought I would suggest something for the 4 year old. Have you looked at the preK Toy package from mfw? I brushed it off because it just looked like some toys that we easily have around the house ourselves, but then I went to a discussion by mfw on how to entertain the preschoolers and she showed me, in depth, why their stuff is so awesome. It is toys,.but it's toys that are belong with math skills, helping with early reading skills, etc, etc.

My 4 year old knows all her letters and lives to ” do school” like her sisters, but I still bought the preK curriculum instead of the kindy because it is very age appropriate. If we were to start kindy with her now, that would mean 1st grade at 5 years old and my understanding of mfw's 1st grade material usa that it REALLY steps up the difficulty halfway through. I would hate to get there and know that I should have waited back at 4 years old.

Julie in MN

Using PreK Cards...NEWBIE! Help!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:10 pm

mshanson3121 wrote:Can you use these cards for a 2.5 year old that you're trying to work on colors, shapes, counting, alphabet etc?
Yes, you could. But have you seen the MFW toy package for 2-3s? It has lots of shapes and a few numbers, and more importantly tons of hands-on experimentation. My grandson played with the tall stackers and listened to the Bible CD for years.

lea_lpz

Brand-new homeschooler with Q's

Unread post by lea_lpz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:13 pm

yvonneh wrote:First of all, I want to thank those of you who post on this blog. God has greatly used you to "pull me over the homeschooling cliff" as I say.:) I will have a 4th grader, 1st grader and preschooler. I know we are going to use ECC for my oldest and have the 1st grader participate in some of those. Plus, I will get the new 1st grade curriculum for her.

Should I get the MFW pre-K program or should I just piece together something for her on my own? Since i'm new to this, I don't want to overwhelm myself, and I don't want to go too in-depth with her, but I do want her to get a little one-on-one time so she doesn't feel left out like she does now with homework time with the older two.

Thanks again for all your indirect encouragement.:)
The preK Toy package is deceptively easy and yet really effective. Your little one will have the benefit of some one on one time with you, and learn a lot while playing with their special toys. Each activity from the index cards only takes about 5 minutes. I am extremely pleased with where my ds, 3, is at right now from what we've done. He knows his colors, shapes, numbers 1-10, can count to 30, can color reasonably well, is just starting to be able to cut well, can retell a story he's rowed, sing the alphabet, and is beginning to recognize letters and their sounds. You can do a couple activities or just one a day and read a story, sing a song from the cd, and do a worksheet or two from a simple preschool workbook. My ds is 3 and we spent about 15 minutes on preschool a day until maybe a month ago. Now we're up to about 30 minutes, because we are doing a little bit more advanced activities using the stuff we've been using before but he's almost 4.

We use the cd to listen to in the car as part of a rotation of different children CDs. My kids also like to play them during nap and at night or while they play in their rooms. They've memorized most of the Hide 'Me in your Heart verses and songs like that, and sometimes they coincide with Cubbies / Sparks which is great, but we don't really use the cd as part of "preschool" time since he has Cubbies and sits in on Bible for MFW.

He also is able to participate, with help and sometimes a pared down simpler version, all of the mfw k activities except math and Lang. He just started doimg simple Lang. activities with us, such as songs, games, and multisensory activities and has his own HWT workbook that he does when dd does hers. He also does the multisensory activities with dd.

Anyway, the point is your 3 year old will get a lot from tagging along with your older children and 15-30 minutes of mommy and me preschool time for the preschool years.

The index card activities vary in difficulty, so you'll be able to use them at both 3 and 4. You'll do simple ones the first year and more advanced ones the following year. BFIAR is similar in that way, and Rod and Staff have a series for 4-5 year olds if you are interested. MFW also sells a workbook in the enrichment section for preschoolers now.

Also, check the preschool archives for how to integrate them into the family cycle and sample preschool time formats.
Good luck! Sounds like a fun year :) Hope you get feed back on the rest.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

MelissaB

Re: Brand-new homeschooler with Q's

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:23 am

Hi, Yvonne,

Lea had a lot of great thoughts. I just have one tip that may be helpful(?). If you can schedule Elizabeth and Abigail some time each day to spend one-on-one with Faith, each of them can "teach" her preschool activities while you're working individually with the other older girl. One of my friends makes a Monday through Friday chart that show her oldest exactly which preschool activity to do with her youngest each day. They love looking at the chart and taking ownership of teaching the youngest little one.

For the first few weeks, you'll have to stop teaching a few minutes to go remind the "Teacher" how to speak patiently and kindly to Faith as they work with her. The fruits of that is two-fold: you'll notice the older children practice using those "patient" words later on in the day when Faith is messing up their toys :-) ; and, eventually, you'll have one-on-one time with Elizabeth/Abigail while you listen in to hear your other two precious girls playing sweetly together and learning together, too.

ECC and 1st are both wonderful curriculums. (You'll be amazed at how much they learn in ECC!)

Enjoy your year, and Welcome Along! :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:32 pm

I really like Melissa's idea. My kids are too close in age for that to work, but for you it would probably work out nicely.
Also, you can always do preschool time in small spurts, 5 minutes here, 10 minutes there. Some days when I know we have a busy day, I will have my ds do a workbook page while I work with dd after explaining it to him, and then when she is coloring and cutting I might do the preK toy activity.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

yvonneh

Unread post by yvonneh » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:52 pm

Thank you all for the wonderful help and imput. I need to learn this quoting thing so I can thank each of you. :) I think I'm starting to narrow things down a little bit now.

And, I love the suggestion of having my oldest help the youngest. She loves to play "school" and "teacher" and be "mom," so I think that would be right up her alley. :)

Thanks again for all the imput. You ladies are great.
Yvonne
wife to Pete since 2002
born again believer since 2005
mom to 3 dd:
--elizabeth, 9
--abigail, 6
--faith, 3
ECC 2013-2014
Learning God's Story (1st) 2013-2014

romans8x28

How to store preK activity cards?

Unread post by romans8x28 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:06 pm

ExcitedMama wrote:How do you store the presK activity cards? Anyone have a link to a box that fits? Thank you!
We found a 4x6 file box at Wal-Mart. It's this style, but they had clear and a "see-through" black in store.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Locking-Index ... s/24969042
Rhonda is teaching:
Girl - 9, Boy - 7, Girl - 2, Baby in September!

2011-2012 - K-1st Ed.
2012-2013 - First-1st Ed.
2013-2014 - Adventures-2nd Ed., K-2nd Ed.
2014-2015 - ECC-2nd Ed., ECC & First-2nd Ed.

lovehomeschooling

Re: How to store preK activity cards?

Unread post by lovehomeschooling » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:13 pm

I laminated and hole punched them. Right now I have them all on one ring, but it is a bit bulky. I want to get more rings so I can devide them according to the toys and then store the cards for each toy with that toy. Then I will just flip a card around each time I use it to keep track of where I'm at. That is my plan at least.
DS10- MFW RTR, AAS3, Rightstart Math E, and Rosseta Stone Spanish
DD8- AAR 2, AAS 1, RS B, and Abeka Handwriting
DS6- MFW K, RS A, AAR 1, and Abeka HW
DS2- Tagging along
Used MFW K 2012, 2013, 2016 MFW 1st 2012, 2015 Adv 2013 ECC 2014 CTG 2015 RTR 2016