Encouragement - How do you wait to start homeschooling?

Using MFW Preschool & Pre-K Packages, as well as occupying babies and toddlers while teaching
DS4home

Encouragement - How do you wait to start homeschooling?

Unread post by DS4home » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:46 pm

alisoncooks wrote:My DD is only 3, but already I am so excited about the future and using (God-willing) MFW with her! This year we are doing some fun Bible story activities (for our special mommy-big girl time). Next year when my girls are 4 and 2, I plan on getting both preschool kits. But I just itch to do it all now! :) I have to remember to slow down and cherish this time.

Anyway, I have a question that is OT from the title. is there room in MFW's schedule to add in fun extras (or rather, extra fun extras, as MFW seems to include them). Is it worth the extra money or do you feel that MFW already includes plenty of hands-on projects (in the history cycle years)? I know this is super early in my child's education to be asking, LOL, but I'm a planner and we're trying to plan ahead tentative budgets to see what we can afford :)

Thanks for any comments.
Waiting can be hard. I was the same way with my youngest, having already been through several MFW years with my older kids, I couldn't wait to start her with it!

I would suggest getting the Preschool Package this year (makes great Christmas gifts), and then get the PreK Package next year. She is at the perfect age to be teaching the colors and shapes, sorting and patterns, and early number recognition. Those are all in the Preschool Package !!

Then you don't have to wait anymore :-) And you will be spreading the cost out too!

How's that for feeding the impatient monster? 8[] 8[] 8[]

I understand completely, patience is not my virtue, though I've been tested enough I should be growing in that area :~

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

grandsophy

Re: How do you wait?

Unread post by grandsophy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:06 pm

I recommend reading lots of reviews before ordering extra materials. I ordered materials too early for my dd but I found much of it was too advanced for her. Do your homework (LOL) to be sure you get age-appropriate materials for your kids. You don't want to get them frustrated before kindergarten!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:34 pm

I was just discussing this with my husband last week. I was saying that those parents who decide to homeschool from the beginning are so excited for their first child to reach school age. It's different than parents who proudly send their kids off on the school bus. It must feel like a much loooonger wait for you!

But I wanted to say that there's a whole *world* of things you can teach besides symbols for letters and numbers. Learning how to learn, how to think, how to behave, how to pray. Learning childhood songs and sidewalk games. Learning to balance and to jump on one foot. Painting big boxes and building big towers.

Have fun!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

alisoncooks

Unread post by alisoncooks » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:59 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm not *in a hurry* to start doing formal school with my 3 year old, but I'm impatiently excited (if that makes sense). This year we are doing Bible stories with crafts, household art and science stuff, and a nightly character trait/devotional. I don't plan on doing letters and numbers formally until K.
grandsophy wrote:I recommend reading lots of reviews
Thanks for the input. I have been reading a lot of the reviews/forum suggestions. My "plan" is to do MFW PreK, K and 1st (as is). Then take a break in 2nd (w/ a tag-a-long kindergartner--for the fun stuff-- at that point). That helps my 2 girls "get on track" to be able to do the MFW history cycle at better ages (and a better fit for combining them together).
Married to DH since 2000, with 2 sweet girls (2006 & 2008).

hsmomof5

Unread post by hsmomof5 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:22 pm

I'm right with ya. I have a soon to be 3 yo (sept) and she is ready for school now. It's so great to watch her soak things up like a sponge. I'm doing Letter of the Week (revised a bit) and using some of MFW preschool things. I think it's just enough to occupy her while I teach her brothers.
~Kysha
ds 19 (college freshman), ds 12, ds 12, and ds 10 (ECC '08) (CTG '09), dd 3 (Preschool)

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:22 pm

Well, you wait because you know it's the right thing to do. My dd was a very advanced learner, but what would I have gained by starting any earlier? She could read and write, but she didn't start to write neatly on the lines until her 5th birthday -- just like she was supposed to do. If you start too young "because they're ready" -- what are you going to do when you hit 2nd grade with a child that is not mature enough for that material? It doesn't sound like you really want to do that - you're just anxious to get going. ;)

My best advice is to "get going" on something different for a few more years. Find something to which you can devote yourself -- a mom's Bible study, a MOPS group, something like that where you can serve and show your daughters that it's important to reach out to other people. Most of those places have groups for the kiddos while you're doing your thing, and it is very good for them.

Once you become a "homeschool mom," you will hold that job title for many years, with very few "days off." Take advantage of the time you have now to go places, do things, help others, have play-dates, be silly, build forts, bake cookies, visit shut-ins, etc. There's so much to learn just by living. And there's a gazillion awesome books to read and act out. :) Have fun. When you start "school," you will miss these days and realize how short these years really were.

Spoken like a mom of an only child, hmm? :)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

HSmommi2mine

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:22 am

The best way to wait is to use that time to educate yourself. What subject are you most unsure of? Get some books and learn it! Read great literature yourself, learn a language and then surround your child in it. Take the time to make yourself the teacher the your want your children to have, and take the time to enjoy the stage they are in. They really, really grow fast. Live in the moment with your child; stop and see the world through their eyes. It is pretty fascinating (says the Mama whose "little boy" is taller than she is ;( )
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

scmlg

Unread post by scmlg » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:47 pm

LOL

You sound just like me! When my now 11 and 9 year old was your kids' ages, I planned their ENTIRE education out on paper through high school. I felt that calling when they were 2 and just knew we were to home school, so I was so impatient!

All I can tell ya, is just let them play. Enjoy playing with them for now. I read Dobson's book about the same time Bringing up Boys, and realized that I'd be better off leaving them be. This was after I had already started trying to teach Curtis to read. I stopped though, and let him be. :-)

It's so hard to believe people when they tell you it'll go fast, but I promise you, you will wake up and your oldest will turn double digits, and you'll wonder how it happened.

Hugs.

Misty
Mom to 3 boys. Curtis, 11, Kyle, 9.5, Colton 3 years old. Live in Amish Country, Ohio.

Finished Adventures
Finished ECC
Finished CtoG
Working on R to R and a bit of preschool time