Why aren't new posts moving up / bumping?

This forum will contain information about the message board software. Use this area to ask questions about how to use message board.
Julie in MN

Why aren't new posts moving up / bumping?

Unread post by Julie in MN »

nagada wrote: I don't know why the threads with newest replies aren't on top.

I just learned to come on and click "view new posts".
When the new software changeover occurred, there was a lot of discussion here about what display everyone preferred. In the end, MFW kept the previous method -- threads are kept in the order of the original post (at least on the general board). "Bumping" was not as popular here as on some other boards I know of :)

The ideas boards and archives boards each have their own unique set-up. It all took a lot of extra effort - thanks Scott!

If you want to see just your unread/new posts, I'd do what Nicole mentioned & click on "view new posts" when you get to the opening page. Or click on "view unanswered posts" if you want to find someone who might be lonely ;)

If you really like bumping, you can re-set your view at the very bottom of a forum by changing the sort to "post time" (meaning the last post) vs. the default which is "topic time" on the general board (meaning the first post, which started that topic).

You can even change your default permanently by clicking on these -
User control panel
Board preferences
Edit display options
Display topics ordering by
Post time

HOWEVER, this will really mess up your view of the ideas boards (which are in order of MFW week) and the archives boards (which are alphabetical by topic)!

More than you wanted to know?
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
LA in Baltimore

Re: Why aren't new posts moving up?

Unread post by LA in Baltimore »

Thanks, Julie!
I just got my mini lesson for the day.
I didn't know I could do all that! :-)
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!
Julie - Staff

Board change - Bumping experiment

Unread post by Julie - Staff »

The board is bumping new replies to the top today (4/2). This is an experiment and we will be evaluating the results. The above-described methods can still be used to adjust your personal view of the boards according to your own preferences .
cbollin

Re: Board change - Bumping experiment

Unread post by cbollin »

Julie in MN wrote:When the new software changeover occurred, there was a lot of discussion here about what display everyone preferred. In the end, MFW kept the previous method -- threads are kept in the order of the original post (at least on the general board). "Bumping" was not as popular here as on some other boards I know of :)
Well, apparently they changed their minds .... so if you hate bumping because it makes you think an old topic is really new....(fooled several of you today on several of them, didn't I? I hate that on all forum/yahoo groups -- people dig up old threads... blah....)

then

You can change it back by clicking on these - (then it will look in order when you're logged in)
User control panel
Board preferences
Edit display options
Display topics ordering by
Topic Time

oh well.... out with the old ... in with the new. and I"m too old for this.
LA in Baltimore

Unread post by LA in Baltimore »

Thanks Ladies,
I went and updated my preferences.
Wouldn't have been able to figure that out on my own.
What would I do without all of you! ;)
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin »

jasntas wrote:I don't care for the new "bump style of posts" either. I guess I was just use to the old style.
I'm on several forums and don't like bumping on those either. from what I understand from mfw office they received lots of feedback that they look out of touch by not bumping, so they want to look normal.
cbollin

to bump or not to bump?

Unread post by cbollin »

Cyndi (AZ) wrote:I use the "view new posts" whenever I come on, but I can't find anything in the general board anymore. :~ Am I the only one that's really confused? What's up with the bumping? Is this the way it's going to be now? !
I agree. It does get hard to find things. I was embarrassed for one lady the other day when she had to repost because her original post was "bumped down" due to lack of popularity and she couldn't find it to bump it up herself....so she asked it again.

and I just wish my OT thread would go away instead of being near the top.....

on the other hand...

maybe it makes someone's job easier at MFW to moderate or something.
maybe it makes archiver2's job easier
maybe MFW just looks really stupid to the rest of the cyber world since they don't bump and all other boards out there do bump.
maybe they have someone who would be really good at posting but will only do it if the board bumps and they are worth changing it.
maybe whoever owns the software changed a rule out there somewhere and no bump goes against rules... (sounds like a stretch.. but you never know?)
Maybe whatever it is that had to be rewritten doesn't work? (nah.. works on ideas)

I know I can manually adjust my own settings so it displays as "no bump" on general -- but , that messes up the entire rest of the ideas board and archives...

so. we'll get used to it in a few weeks. And all other boards are like it, so we'll get used to it .....
doubleportion

Re: to bump or not to bump?

Unread post by doubleportion »

I just change to "topic post time filter descending" and that gives me a view of the newest posts.

HTH
Edie
Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) »

I will adjust and stick around even if they don't change things back, just because I love you all so much! ;)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL
Amy in NC

Unread post by Amy in NC »

Really --I just don't know, I go straight to the view new posts screen and never see the general board too often.

Amy
Married to ♥
Rob♥ for 18 yrs
dd(11.5), dd(10), dd(6), and ds(3.5)
Completed Kx2, 1st, Adv, ECC, CTG, & RTR
RachelT

Unread post by RachelT »

Yes, this bumping is confusing to me. When I login I always go to the Main Board and I used to look at the messages that I had not read yet or that had new posts.

I would also vote to just keep messages in chronological order, but that's how I think. I even arrange my scrapbooks mostly in chronological order. It just makes sense to me! I haven't tried changing settings...

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/
TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR »

I like it that the new posts bump to the top because that's how other message boards I am on work. Before Bumping (BB), I would come it and it would say 6 unread posts, and I would be able to find the 5, but the 6th one would be a page back or something, and I don't like having to go hunt for that sixth post. I know, there's some link somewhere that says "Show unread posts/threads" or something, but to me that was an extra step that isn't necessary. And sometimes, it would say I hadn't read some posts, but when I clicked on "Show unread," well, nothing would show up for the Main Board.

I like the new way, thank you very much.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog
mamacastle2

Unread post by mamacastle2 »

It seems fairly easy because new posts are highlighted in red, so I know exactly which ones I haven't read. And if I like a topic, I can subscribe to that specific topic so as not to miss any updates there.
Jeanne
Wife to Brody
Mother to DD 10, DS 7, DD 5, DS 3, DD 1
MFW User Since 2007: MFW 1st, Adv., ECC, CTG
2011-2012 - RTR & MFWK
cbollin

Why aren't the most current post questions on top?

Unread post by cbollin »

LA in Baltimore wrote:Please remind me again how I can get the posts to show in the order asked instead of the order answered.
Thanks!
And to all the folks going to the PA convention this weekend... Have a great time!!
the real answer you might want is in Edie's answer. She does that each time at log in.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 929#p60691
click on general board.
scroll to bottom
click on the boxes that say display topics
then, manually switch from Sort by Post Time, to "topic time"

that works if you do it manually each time for the general for that session if you are logged in.
if you do it as a "global default".... messes up the archives and ideas...
if you're aren't logged in....

and then...make note of Julie's answer about it.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 860#p52493

-crystal